The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was....

The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was....

• Predestined by God

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • A judgment upon the wicked from God

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • A sign of the end times

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • A conspiracy staged by the U.N.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • A conspiracy staged by the Bush Administration

• A sign of global warming

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Mother Earth striking back for overpopulation

• A well orchestrated terrorist attack

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Bad karma

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • A tragic random event

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters

JRHoffman

How about a natural event that occurs when the plates of the earth shift. Of course the plates of the earth only shift because the flood in Noah's day caused the tilting of the earth and placed undo strain on them. So lets blame it on Satan and his introduction of sin which resulted in the flood in the first place.

Z Man

Hmmmm.. let's see now. The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was...

- A judgment upon the wicked from God:

Well, if that was the case, we'd all be dead.

- A sign of the end times:

We've been getting these signs since Jesus ascended.

- A conspiracy staged by the U.N.

Highly doubtful and a ridiculus conclusion.

- A conspiracy staged by the Bush Administration:

Even more ridiculus.

- A sign of global warming:

Now how in the world does global warming affect a siesmic plate shift 6 miles beneath the ocean floor to cause an earthquake?

- Mother Earth striking back for overpopulation:

Did Skeptic come up with this one?

- A well orchestrated terrorist attack:

Geez! If they were willing to spend that amount of money to create a 40ft tsunami and wipe out Southeast Asia, why didn't they just invest it in wiping out America with a couple of nukes?

- Bad karma:

Karma? Who believes in this crap on a Christian website?

- A tragic random event:

There is no such thing as 'randomness', or accidents.

- Other (explain below):

I think all options have been exhausted.

So, I guess that leaves only one logical option left to be true. Guess which one I'll vote for...

:chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by JRHoffman

How about a natural event that occurs when the plates of the earth shift. Of course the plates of the earth only shift because the flood in Noah's day caused the tilting of the earth and placed undo strain on them. So lets blame it on Satan and his introduction of sin which resulted in the flood in the first place.
OK... so did you vote "other" or "a tragic random event"?

drbrumley

Originally posted by Z Man

Hmmmm.. let's see now. The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was...

- A judgment upon the wicked from God:

Well, if that was the case, we'd all be dead.

- A sign of the end times:

We've been getting these signs since Jesus ascended.

- A conspiracy staged by the U.N.

Highly doubtful and a ridiculus conclusion.

- A conspiracy staged by the Bush Administration:

Even more ridiculus.

- A sign of global warming:

Now how in the world does global warming affect a siesmic plate shift 6 miles beneath the ocean floor to cause an earthquake?

- Mother Earth striking back for overpopulation:

Did Skeptic come up with this one?

- A well orchestrated terrorist attack:

Geez! If they were willing to spend that amount of money to create a 40ft tsunami and wipe out Southeast Asia, why didn't they just invest it in wiping out America with a couple of nukes?

- Bad karma:

Karma? Who believes in this crap on a Christian website?

- A tragic random event:

There is no such thing as 'randomness', or accidents.

- Other (explain below):

I think all options have been exhausted.

So, I guess that leaves only one logical option left to be true. Guess which one I'll vote for...

:chuckle:

:think: :rolleyes:

philosophizer

I check "tragic random event" and "other."

It was a tragic event certainly. And it was random in the people it killed, other than the fact that they were all in one geographical location.

The "other" part is that it is not quite random on all levels. It was the result of a seismic disturbance on the ocean floor from movements of contental plates. It's just something that happens on this Earth of ours. It is a thing of nature.

Did God cause it? No. Natural processes did.

Is God to blame for not preventing it or letting it happen? No. The somewhat hostile nature of Nature is a part of how our world must be constructed in order to create independent beings such as ourselves. Is that a design flaw? Only if you consider the "best" possible world to be one in which all things run "perfectly."

Granite

Hall of Fame
Wow. A random, tragic event. For once I'm in the majority around here...so, question, did this happen to take God by surprise, for you theists in the house? Or did he see it coming and decide not to lift a finger? Did hell need around 80,000 fresh souls after Christmas, or what?

Another thought--if Christians agree this was a random event, is there any advantage in approaching such things from a Christian perspective?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by billwald

The Intelligent Designer intelligently designed a world that requires random earth quakes.

Well there's some double talk if I ever heard it...

King David

CALAMITY - WARNING - JUSTICE - RANDOM CHANCE - VOICE OF GOD

CALAMITY - WARNING - JUSTICE - RANDOM CHANCE - VOICE OF GOD

1 THERE were present at that season some that told him of the Galilæans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilæans were sinners above all the Galilæans, because they suffered such things?

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

-Luke 13:4

...your Father which is in heaven....maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

-Matthew 5:45

17 Hearken ye, for, behold, the great day of the Lord is nigh at hand.

18 For the day cometh that the Lord shall utter his voice out of heaven; the heavens shall shake and the earth shall tremble, and the trump of God shall sound both long and loud, and shall say to the sleeping nations: Ye saints arise and live; ye sinners stay and sleep until I shall call again.

19 Wherefore gird up your loins lest ye be found among the wicked.

20 Lift up your voices and spare not. Call upon the nations to repent, both old and young, both bond and free, saying: Prepare yourselves for the great day of the Lord;

21 For if I, who am a man, do lift up my voice and call upon you to repent, and ye hate me, what will ye say when the day cometh when the thunders shall utter their voices from the ends of the earth, speaking to the ears of all that live, saying—Repent, and prepare for the great day of the Lord?

22 Yea, and again, when the lightnings shall streak forth from the east unto the west, and shall utter forth their voices unto all that live, and make the ears of all tingle that hear, saying these words—Repent ye, for the great day of the Lord is come?

23 And again, the Lord shall utter his voice out of heaven, saying: Hearken, O ye nations of the earth, and hear the words of that God who made you.

24 O, ye nations of the earth, how often would I have gathered you together as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, but ye would not!

25 How oft have I called upon you by the mouth of my servants, and by the ministering of angels, and by mine own voice, and by the voice of thunderings, and by the voice of lightnings, and by the voice of tempests, and by the voice of earthquakes, and great hailstorms, and by the voice of famines and pestilences of every kind, and by the great sound of a trump, and by the voice of judgment, and by the voice of mercy all the day long, and by the voice of glory and honor and the riches of eternal life, and would have saved you with an everlasting salvation, but ye would not!

26 Behold, the day has come, when the cup of the wrath of mine indignation is full.

27 Behold, verily I say unto you, that these are the words of the Lord your God.

-Doctrine & Covenants 43

ALL OF THE ABOVE SCRIPTURES HERE APPLY.

--KING DAVID

Z Man

Originally posted by granite1010

Wow. A random, tragic event. For once I'm in the majority around here...so, question, did this happen to take God by surprise, for you theists in the house? Or did he see it coming and decide not to lift a finger? Did hell need around 80,000 fresh souls after Christmas, or what?

Another thought--if Christians agree this was a random event, is there any advantage in approaching such things from a Christian perspective?
I don't believe it was a 'random' event. God is sovereign - He controls this world. He created it, He controls it. The world isn't 'running free' from His control. I thought Job taught us this?

Most Christians on this board consider it a 'random event' because they are 'afraid' of attributing this tragic event to God. Yet, they'll turn right around and have no problem saying that God caused the flood in Noah's day which wiped out the whole world except 8 souls...

:rolleyes:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I say it was a random event, that was tragic. And I don't beleive it was cused by God, because it wasn't about judgment on the wicked, as the flood was...seeing as how Christ already suffered the punishment for all of us, on the cross.