The Case Against Universal Healthcare

The Case Against Universal Healthcare

• Total voters

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe not the emergency room, but good luck getting your torn-up shoulder surgically repaired without a way to pay.

Please show us a man unable to prepare for the possibility that he might need surgery. :thumb:

Tyrathca

needy people are not turned away from hospitals in america

retard

So if a person walks into an emergency department with a tumor the size of a grapefruit but currently walking and breathing well does the hospital remove the tumor, regardless of ability to pay, even if it won't likely kill or debilitate them for a few months?

(Serious question, I'm Aussie and don't always grasp how this aspect of your system works. Here it would be treated if warranted, no question of the individuals funds)

rexlunae

So if a person walks into an emergency department with a tumor the size of a grapefruit but currently walking and breathing well does the hospital remove the tumor, regardless of ability to pay, even if it won't likely kill or debilitate them for a few months?

(Serious question, I'm Aussie and don't always grasp how this aspect of your system works. Here it would be treated if warranted, no question of the individuals funds)

They aren't require to remove it unless necessary to stabilize you. They may give you something for the pain.

lovemeorhateme

They aren't require to remove it unless necessary to stabilize you. They may give you something for the pain.

:noway:

So they could legally refuse to remove that tumour and leave them to suffer with it, as long as it won't kill them? That is an utterly abhorrent thought!

rexlunae

:noway:

So they could legally refuse to remove that tumour and leave them to suffer with it, as long as it won't kill them? That is an utterly abhorrent thought!

It's worse than that. Even if it will kill them, if they aren't immediately in danger, they have no obligation to help.

And ERs do routinely ask for payment ahead of services if the patient is not in immediately in danger, even if they have good reason to seek emergency services.

lovemeorhateme

I can't answer the poll. I believe universal healthcare should mean affordable healthcare, not necessarily free except in situations which require additional qualification.

I chose to use the wording which was part of the founding principles of the British NHS. That healthcare should be free to all at point of need with no regard for ability to pay and that it would be funded through taxation.

In 1948, a copy of this leaflet was posted to every home in Britain:

Spoiler
nhs-1948-leaflet.jpg

It pretty much sums up what I believe healthcare should be about.

Could you elaborate more on your views? I'm genuinely curious to know what you think.

lovemeorhateme

It's worse than that. Even if it will kill them, if they aren't immediately in danger, they have no obligation to help.

And ERs do routinely ask for payment ahead of services if the patient is not in immediately in danger, even if they have good reason to seek emergency services.

Seriously? What do you think about that?

What I don't understand is why certain Christians around here would support such an abhorrent, cruel system.

rexlunae

Could the hospital then bill them for it afterwards and attempt to pursue them through the courts if they don't pay up?

They can. And just because they ask for payment up front doesn't mean that they won't also ask for payments after the fact. A lot of hospitals now are turning various workers in the system into contractors, which each bill separately. So you could go to a hospital, be asked to fork over thousands of dollars up front, and then get thousands of dollars in bills in the next few months.

Most hospitals, knowing that a lot of people can't pay, also make a calculation about which bills are worth trying to collect and which aren't. So sometimes, you can plead poverty and they'll relent. But for the most part, you are at their mercy, and there's no way even to know what to expect going in.

Seriously? What do you think about that?

I think that the US is a largely failed experiment, and if you promised to bring in the NHS, I'd happily undo the Declaration of Independence for forsake my republican ideals. And maybe you could somehow avoid me ever having to say the words "King Charles"....long live the queen?

Ok, I'm exaggerating. Slightly.

What I don't understand is why certain Christians around here would support such an abhorrent, cruel system.

There are a lot of Christians in this country who are kind, wonderful people. And they are mostly drowned out in terms of public rhetoric by people like Ted Cruz, who follow branches of Christianity that derive from the old slave-holding traditions, and haven't really improved much since then. It's actually a pretty distorted picture of American Christianity, but it's also a very real thing.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just don't understand what you want me to produce. An actual person who can't afford shoulder surgery?

Describe a situation where a man cannot prepare for the possibility that he might need surgery.

Tyrathca

But for the most part, you are at their mercy, and there's no way even to know what to expect going in.
This is a prime example of why privatization doesn't work on most of healthcare. How can free markets work when there is such a huge imbalance between purchasers and sellers, the answer is it can't which is something many of the extreme right wing nuts can't accept.
I think that the US is a largely failed experiment
Sadly so many of your countrymen want to double down and increase privatization. It's like getting stuck in a hole of your own making and then saying "keep digging!"

lovemeorhateme

They can. And just because they ask for payment up front doesn't mean that they won't also ask for payments after the fact. A lot of hospitals now are turning various workers in the system into contractors, which each bill separately. So you could go to a hospital, be asked to fork over thousands of dollars up front, and then get thousands of dollars in bills in the next few months.

Most hospitals, knowing that a lot of people can't pay, also make a calculation about which bills are worth trying to collect and which aren't. So sometimes, you can plead poverty and they'll relent. But for the most part, you are at their mercy, and there's no way even to know what to expect going in.

Can you understand how we look across the Atlantic with bemusement and feel mystified when we hear things like this? It's difficult to even get my head around how a healthcare system would allow this to happen, especially when that system is in the richest country in the world.

I think that the US is a largely failed experiment, and if you promised to bring in the NHS, I'd happily undo the Declaration of Independence for forsake my republican ideals. And maybe you could somehow avoid me ever having to say the words "King Charles"....long live the queen?

Ok, I'm exaggerating. Slightly.

:chuckle:

From that I take it that you would welcome an NHS style system with open arms.

:thumb:

There are a lot of Christians in this country who are kind, wonderful people. And they are mostly drowned out in terms of public rhetoric by people like Ted Cruz, who follow branches of Christianity that derive from the old slave-holding traditions, and haven't really improved much since then. It's actually a pretty distorted picture of American Christianity, but it's also a very real thing.

I'm sure that not every Christian shares exactly the same views. I have a number of American Christian friends, and they are all lovely people. There's a few on this site who seem to be more hate filled than loving, however. It's not necessarily what's said, but how it's said...

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From that I take it that you would welcome an NHS style system with open arms.

IF that meant decent healthcare for everyone, I would welcome them as well.

For me, it just seems like it should walk hand in hand with the prolife/anti-abortion position.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can you understand how we look across the Atlantic with bemusement and feel mystified when we hear things like this? It's difficult to even get my head around how a healthcare system would allow this to happen, especially when that system is in the richest country in the world.

If we make up a scenario that happens in the UK, will you be convinced that your system is bad as well?