ECT The Book of James and the Uses and Abuses of Profanity !!

Clem

I love the book of James.
But are words of 'profanity' always to be avoided,
given that the definition of 'profanity' that I know
is 'language not suitable for use in the temple'.

James actually talks about the damage that can be done by an 'uncontrolled tongue',
and I often swear myself, but always in the context of a 'Christ-disciplined tongue'
(or am I deluding myself about this?).

Your see, I refrain from using such strong language in anyone's temple,
and in any context where there's a chance that damage could result,
but I do think 'oath-words' can be used appropriately in our shared fight
against Satan and the works or those who've regrettably 'done business with him'.

And, as a psychologist myself, I know that the freedom to swear in contexts
where no harm can be done, can be therapeutic in enabling healthy kinds of catharsis.
And, I know also that bullying young people into not swearing can be damaging
whereas, supporting children in working out for themselves
the limits of potentially unhealthy behaviour,
will actually serve them well in later life.

So I welcome feedback and guidance from those that may know more than me
regarding such potentially problematic matters. Thanks.

Bradley D

I used to swear like a sailor. In fact am a retired swabbie. I reviewed my swearing years ago. I decided that my swearing was due to a insecurity problem within myself. I quit swearing. Today I trust God to help me through all things. I believe God does not want me to swear. When I get upset I turn it over to God and do what I believe He wants me to do.

nikolai_42

James actually talks about the damage that can be done by an 'uncontrolled tongue',
and I often swear myself, but always in the context of a 'Christ-disciplined tongue'

against Satan and the works or those who've regrettably 'done business with him'.

where no harm can be done, can be therapeutic in enabling healthy kinds of catharsis.

{For} a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Luke 6:43-45

The whole point of oaths is to add emphasis to what is being said. Likewise, profanity is meant to "spice up" speech reflective of underlying anger, bitterness, wrath etc... to express your anger. In a sense, it validates that which is producing the venom. And (as has already been pointed out) Jesus expressly spoke against oaths since to add any such emphasis to what we are saying is evidence of weakness of character (and ultimately of Satan). If our "yes" were really "yes" and our "no" really "no", we wouldn't need to add oaths or shocking words. But when we do, it's because there is a lack of integrity in our heart that comes out in our words.

And direct from the book you mentioned...

If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
James 1:27

So I would say that supposedly therapeutic swearing is really giving man an excuse to unbridle his tongue contrary to James.

Oh...and remember this (in the context of language not suitable for the temple) :

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

I Cor 3:16-17

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

I Cor 6:19-20

So the preponderance of the evidence leads me to believe that someone who is really of God will not tolerate filthy talk (Colossians 3:8) or swearing. They may fall into it from time to time - maybe even struggle with it - but they won't consider it okay for the above reasons.

Truster

Prior to my conversion two in three words I spoke were vile. I cursed against heaven and against everything and everyone else.

andyc

Wow when I think of how I used to swear and tell the dirtiest jokes.
I remember after I was saved but churchless, I would go to nightclubs with my friends, and continue to swear and tell dirty jokes, but I used to feel terrible. I didn't know at the time the Holy Spirit within me was attacking my conscience. I may have been drunk, swearing, lusting after girls on the dance floor, telling dirty jokes, but he Holy Spirit was on the case.
There is no excuse for sin, but the Holy Spirit is our counselor. We are not under law, but under grace.

andyc

I remember about 12 years ago listening to the testimony of a person who'd just been born again. He was a truck driver, and was used to cussing every day of his life. When he gave his testimony he was crying like a baby, and he dropped the F bomb multiple times. My pastor got up afterwards and hugged this man, and he said afterwards, that was powerful and colorful HA HA! but he went on to say that he was in the process of changing.
In the industry I work in, it is very high pressure, and people swear every other word. So much so that they have set up a swear box where every cuss word demands 20p. I told everyone that I would put £50 into the swear box if they caught me saying a cuss word. That was 5 years ago, and so far I haven't contributed, but I have enjoyed their cakes every Christmas from the swear box money.