The Atonement: What did it REALLY Accomplish?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
If I posted the word “centuries” then I am dead wrong.
Anselm devised his theology around 900 years after the crucifixion.
Thanks for the info.

Why couldn't it just be Peter explaining to his converts what Christ's ministry was all about?

There are many different, contradictory traditions found in the Bible. The idea that Peter preached Jesus’ ministry may go back to a real event.

Mark, the earliest gospel written, says nothing about the resurrection.
Paul does not seem to know anything about the empty tomb tradition.
He merely says that Jesus was “born of a woman” and was simply “buried” after he died.

Nanja

2 Cor 5:14-15

14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

Folks one of the sure ways to determine who Jesus Christ died for, to know whether it was limited to only some of mankind, is to know that it [His Death] in the purpose of God must produce certain results, that being Life, Spiritual Life, this is true so much so, that if one does not experience New Life from from Christ by New Birth in this Life, to live by Faith, we can safely conclude that Christ never died for them, else we must admit that Christ's Death failed the purpose of God ! How many of us are willing to do that ?

Now our text passage informs us that the purpose of Christ's death was so that all for whom He died, should live unto Him that died for them, that Being Christ !

In Vs 15 it reads that He died for all [all that He died for] that !

Lets look at the word that :

15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

Its the conjunction hina and means:

I.that, in order that, so that !

It denotes purpose and end, to the intent that, to the end that,

In order that they which Live ! Who are the they which Live ? Its all for whom He died, for they Live by His Resurrection, they Live when He Lived from the dead.

Rom 6:10

For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

Thats talking about Christ, He Liveth after having died, He liveth unto God , not as a private person, but as the Head and Represenative of all for whom He died, so His Living unto God must translate unto their Living unto God, the members of the Body must Live because its Head does ! Thats why He is the Saviour of the Body Eph 5:23

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

So being that He is the Head, He is the Saviour, both Head and Saviour is a Joint Office,

So the they which Live in 2 Cor 5:15 are simply all whom He represented when He died and rose again !

Now, the Purpose of His Death and resurrection was that they should Live unto God or unto Him that died for them and rose again ! Who is both God and Man,

So thats how we know who specifically who Christ died for and rose again, simply speaking, all who live unto God by Faith ! Did you and I come to Faith in Christ by the Power of the Holy Spirit ? Then Christ died for us, BUT if we never come to a Living Faith in Christ, then Christ did not die for us, lest we charge Gods intent for His death with failure !

Amen Brother !

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The theology of the atonement was not mentioned until the work published by Anselm of Canterbury nearly 1,000 years after the crucifixion.

In addition, there were no artistic representations of Jesus hanging on a cross until well into the 5th century.

Nanja

Bless you Sister for God has been pleased that we believe the testimony of the Cross of Christ !

So True My Brother, and this testimony of the Cross of Christ we do Believe, we know it's not of ourselves, but that Christ's Faithfulness was ours being the Living Members of His Body: The Faith of the Son of God; the Fruit of Christ's Spirit Gal. 5:22 that was Given us when we were Born Again, Born of the Spirit John 3:3-6 !

Gal. 2:20

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

beloved57

So True My Brother, and this testimony of the Cross of Christ we do Believe, we know it's not of ourselves, but that Christ's Faithfulness was ours being the Living Members of His Body: The Faith of the Son of God; the Fruit of Christ's Spirit Gal. 5:22 that was Given us when we were Born Again, Born of the Spirit John 3:3-6 !

Gal. 2:20

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Amen !

beloved57

Everyone Christ died for/shed His Blood for are made priest unto God Rev 1:5-6

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Last edited:

Nanja

Everyone Christ died for/shed His Blood for are made priest unto God Rev 1:5-6
5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Amen ! Christ's Blood / Death alone for those He died for, has Made them Kings and Priests unto God: His Seed Is. 53:10, a Generation Chosen in union with Him before the foundation to be Holy and without blame before Him in love Eph. 1:3-4. These same ones shall be given a New Nature or New Birth in time.

John 3:3, 5

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

1 Pet. 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Now because Christ's Death delivered them from the power of darkness Col. 1:13, they are given New Spiritual Life and translated into His Kingdom to serve Him in this Life, and for all Eternity as Priests unto God !

1 Pet. 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Ps. 132:9 Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness; and let thy saints shout for joy.

FineLinen

Every created thing (pan ktisma). Every creature in a still wider antiphonal circle beyond the circle of angels (from ktizw, for which see 1 Timothy 4:4 ; James 1:18 ), from all the four great fields of life (in heaven, upon the earth, under the earth as in verse James 3 , with on the sea epi th qalassh added). No created thing is left out. This universal chorus of praise to Christ from all created life reminds one of the profound mystical passage in Romans 8:20-22 concerning the sympathetic agony of creation (ktisi) in hope of freedom from the bondage of corruption.

If the trail of the serpent is on all creation, it will be ultimately thrown off. Saying (legonta). Masculine (construction according to sense, personifying the created things) if genuine, though some MSS. have legonta (grammatical gender agreeing with panta) present active participle of legw, to say. And to the Lamb (kai twi arniwi). Dative case. Praise and worship are rendered to the Lamb precisely as to God on the throne. Note separate articles here in the doxology as in Romans 4:11 and the addition of to krato (active power) in place of iscu (reserve of strength) in Romans 5:12 .

-F.W. Robertson N.T. Word pictures-

Nanja

Rev 1:5

Foks these things go hand and hand, Christ Loved us [His Church Eph 5:25] and so as a result He washed us [His Church] from our sins, no if and buts and maybes !

But now what does this washed us from our sins mean ? The word washed here is the greek word luó and means:

I loose, untie, release, (b) met: I break, destroy, set at naught, contravene; I break up a meeting, annul.

It means to discharge, set free !

To of something weighing upon or impeding over one, as a debt, claim, obligation, responsibility, accusation, etc.; to absolve; to acquit; to clear.

Thiose Christ Loved and died for are absolved, acquitted from all their sins, washed in that regard, and this even before they become believers, even though they shall become believers later ! You see their believing isnt what Loosed them from their sins, not at all, it was Christ's blood that accomplished that !

Its a True fact that Christ for them by His death has satisfied God's Law and Justice and have been legally loosed set free from all of its guilt, condemnation, and penalty [which is death],

Its just as a women has been loosed from the Law of her husband by his death Rom 7:2

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

Loosed:

to be severed from, separated from, discharged from, loosed from, anyone;

Also Paul states it in another way here Rom 6:7

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Yes those Christ Loved and died for are freed from sin, but yet this word freed carries with it the Truth of Justified, justified from sin !

They are Justified / freed from sin by the Body of Christ Rom 7:4 which means His death, or Blood.

Those Christ died for are washed, loosed from, clear from all charges and attending due punishment, regarding their sins.

Now false teachers would tell us that this freedom from their sins condemnation and punishment of them is not until they believe, which is a lie and a attempt to steal the Crown of Victory from Christ and His Love and His Blood ! Those of us He died for are loosed from our sins by His Blood alone !Rev 1:5

Amen Brother !

None Christ washed Rev. 1:5 in His Precious Blood Eph. 5:25; John 10:11, 15 can ever come under condemnation Rom. 8:1, even before they Believe on Him Phil. 1:29a, for they were loosed / freed from all guilt of sin Ps. 32:1-2 / declared Righteous / Justified Rom. 8:33-34 based solely upon the Blood Work of Christ their Surety Heb. 7:22 even from Everlasting Heb. 13:20 !

Rom. 5:8-10

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

FineLinen

Keep reading Nanja>>>>>

"Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous."

Polus made sinners>>>>>Polus made righteous

Nanja

The active and passive Obedience of Christ Rom. 5:18-19 for all those He made Righteous, was Limited to all the people Chosen In Union with Him of the Father, to be holy and without blame before Him in Love, and to have forgiveness of sins Eph. 1:4-7.

John 10:27-29

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Now all the rest of the people of the earth are cursed goats, which God never loved, nor sent His Son to die for them. They have nothing to look forward to but Eternal Punishment.

Mat. 25:31-34; 41, 46

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

FineLinen

The active and passive Obedience of Christ Rom. 5:18-19 for all those He made Righteous, was Limited to all the people Chosen In Union with Him of the Father..

Nonsense Nanja: The identical many "made sinners" are the many "made righteous"!

Yes, Nanja, the identical polus made sinners are the polus "made righteous." Every last one!

"Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous."

FineLinen

Dear Nanja: Let's speak of the "cursed goats" for a moment shall we.

There is one (1) passage of Canon for “everlasting punishment” (Matt.25). This one single verse is the cornerstone for the proponents of unending punishment.

This should be so easy!

According to the context of St. Matthew 25 and ONLY the context, please fill in the empty lines.

The foundation for “everlasting punishment” Matt. 25=

1._________________________________________?

2._________________________________________?

3._________________________________________?

4._________________________________________?

5._________________________________________?

Please Note

This is the easy part, the questions following this cornerstone text will be harder!

Are our broadest hopes broad enough? Shall there be a nook or abyss, in all the universe of God, finally unlightened by the Cross? Shall there be a sin, or sorrow, or pain unhealed? Is the very universe, is creation in all its extent, a field wide enough for the Son of God?

Nanja

Its out of this newness of Life, that Faith, Hope and Love flow, and also by it we receive a New Understanding according to Spiritual Light, of which is necessary to receive the Truth fruitfully Matt 13:23

23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Now this is key because of one word here " understandeth" its the greek word syniēmi and means:

I.to set or bring together

A.in a hostile sense, of combatants

II.to put (as it were) the perception with the thing perceived

A.to set or join together in the mind

i.i.e. to understand: the man of understanding

ii.idiom for: a good and upright man (having the knowledge of those things which pertain to salvation)

But this understanding man does not have by nature, this we know by Rom 3:11

There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Its the same greek word as in Matt 13:23, and here Paul under the inspiration of the Spirit writes that there are NONE that understandeth !

So its quite reasonable to conclude that the ones understanding the Word of Salvation in Matt 13:23 must have Newness of Life, thats why its also said that one has a good heart.

Also by nature the understanding is darkened to the Truths of God Eph 4:18

Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

This is a symptom of being dead spiritually or alienated from the life of God, but when we receive that newness of Life, we are given a New Understanding because of Christ's coming into the world 1 Jn 5:20

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

The giving us an understanding is the fruit of His coming, and so is the Newness of Life !

Amen, Newness of Life is given exclusively to those who are In Him [Christ] that is True 1 John 5:20; Eph. 1:3-4, when the Word of God is put into their New Heart Ezek. 36:26, and they are given to understand it, the fruit of His Coming 1 John 5:20; their minds being renewed by His Spirit !

1 Cor. 1:24, 30

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

FineLinen

Amen, Newness of Life is given exclusively to those who are In Him [Christ]

Exclusively=

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exclusively

"God is the Saviour of all mankind, especially those who believe/trust in Him. Command this & teach this.."

"Especially" = malista

"only" = monos/ monon

Nanja

Matt 3:15

15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

I believe this includes the fulfilling of the Righteousness of the Law Rom 8:4

4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Christ's coming to the earth was also in regard to keeping the Law, Honoring it as it should have been Isa 42:21

21 The Lord is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

He magnified it by keeping it for His People the Church, Christ as Adam did, did a Representative Work, He lived and died in the behalf of Gods People, those who also had a Representative Union with Him from before the foundation Eph 1:4

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Christ for this Representative Work had all the fruits and graces of the Spirit Isa 11:1-5

And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:

2 And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord;

3 And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the Lord:
and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:

4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

5 And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins.

He was given the Spirit without measure Jn 3:34

For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

Hence Christ as the Representative Surety of His People while living on Earth doing the Will of God for them Heb 10:7,9

He did for them perform all the Faith and Love to God and His Neighbor as required by the Law, Like when Jesus said to one who questioned Him here:

Matt 22:35-40

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

He has fully for His Church fulfilled The First and Great Commandment of the Law In Vs 37-38 and the second like unto it in Vs 39, So True Believers claim the Faith of Christ as theirs, not their own faith, but that Faith Christ exercised towards God while He was here living as the Surety Representative of His People, fulfilling all Righteousness !

Absolutely ! Based on Christ's Suretyship from Everlasting Heb. 7:22; Heb. 13:20 for His Church Eph. 5:25 / Sheep John 10:11, 15, they were made Righteous / Justified by His Faith Rom. 5:19 before they are born in time and given to believe on Him Phil. 1:29.

Nanja

Another accomplishment of Christ's death involving the atonement is this: It gives an inheritance !

The Death of Christ, is actually the death of the testator, and it activates Covenant Blessings upon them He died for ! Heb 9:14-17

How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

16For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

The eternal inheritance is eternal life. Its what Paul means here Gal 3:18

For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise

And Peter meant here 1 Pet 1:4

To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

What Moses meant here Gen 17:8

And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

The word possession in that verse is the hebrew word achuzzah

possession by right of inheritance, Like Num 27:7

The daughters of Zelophehad speak right: thou shalt surely give them a possession of an inheritance among their father's brethren; and thou shalt cause the inheritance of their father to pass unto them

Ezk 46:16

Thus saith the Lord GOD; If the prince give a gift unto any of his sons, the inheritance thereof shall be his sons'; it shall be their possession by inheritance.

So the death of Christ bequeaths an inheritance upon them He died for ! That inheritance is inclusive of eternal life !

Amen, yes it does ! God Promised this Inheritance, the Everlasting Canaan Gen. 17:8 to Abraham and His Spiritual Seed in all generations, which consists of all the Elect of God Chosen In Union with Christ before the foundation to have Eternal Life Eph. 1:4-11.

1 John 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

Gal. 3:16; 29

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Titus 1:1-2

1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; 2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Nanja

It the death of Christ, for those He died, He through His death redeemed them from all iniquity Titus 2:14

14 [FONT="][B]Who gave himself for us, that he might [U]redeem us from all iniquity[/U],[/B] and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Hence, none for whom He died can be of these here Matt 7:23

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]23 [/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="]And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

​Christ could never say those words to them He gave Himself for and redeemed them from all iniquity, for they have no iniquity to work ![/FONT]

Exactly !