The Atonement: What did it REALLY Accomplish?

beloved57

Also made a curse !

It is in this way Jesus was made sin for the sins of us [ The seed of Abraham] by becoming their sin bearer; for He was also made a curse for His People Gal 3:13

13 Christ hath redeemed us [seed of Abraham] from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us [seed of Abraham]: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

The first we read of any curse is Gen 3:17

17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

and this curse is the result of Adam's Sin who BTW is the Forefather of Abraham see Lk 3:34 which was the breaking of the Law of God, the covenant of God, that Adam broke covenant is seen here:

Hos 6:7

But they like men [Adam] have transgressed the covenant: there have they dealt treacherously against me.

Well Christ as the substitute on the cross for the sins of the seed of Abraham, not only bore the curse for them, but became a curse for them, so that, when Christ took away their sin on the Tree, He redeemed them out of the curse of the Law and Covenant Deut 29:21

And the LORD shall separate him unto evil out of all the tribes of Israel, according to all the curses of the covenant that are written in this book of the law:

Gods people whom Christ died for can never be called cursed i.e Num 23:7-8

7 And he took up his parable, and said, Balak the king of Moab hath brought me from Aram, out of the mountains of the east, saying, Come, curse me Jacob, and come, defy Israel.

8 How shall I curse, whom God hath not cursed? or how shall I defy, whom the LORD hath not defied?

cp 2 Cor 5:19 & Rom 8:33

For Christ has become a curse for them already and has borne all their charges !

Now, it should go without saying that those who will yet hear these words from The Saviour, the Seed of Abraham Matt 25:41

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

cannot be any for whom Christ died for substituted for. Those can be only cursed for this Gal 3:10

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

These are born under the curse of the law and remain so, with no redemption, and so shall hear those dreadful words in the day of Judgment.

They were not of the seed of Abraham or of the woman, but of the seed of the serpent ! see Gen 3:14-15

Last edited:

beloved57

More on the accomplishment of the Atonement !

Now, regarding the substitutionary death of Christ for sinners, that in and of itself was not able to meet the righteous demands of God's Law, for to merely punish the innocent and clear the guilty was also a violation of Gods Law which Christ came to fulfill. Prov 17:15

He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the LORD.

However, the Head being Identified with it's body may be charged for the crimes of the body i.e Eph 5:23,30

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Saviour of the body.

30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

He identified with His body in taking on the seed of Abraham ! He had the redeemers right to redeem His people as the nearest of kin to them, and holding by virtue of a higher status, as the firstborn in the seed of Abraham, because they too partook of flesh and blood Heb 2:14,16b

14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same;

16b but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

You see, He substituted for those who were of the seed of Abraham, they all belonged to the same seed line, He and they !

Last edited:

Damian

What did it [the Atonement] REALLY accomplish?

I believe the atonement doctrine (as portrayed by traditional Christianity) fosters a God of fear, not of love.

Jesus said, "To the ego sin means death, and so atonement is achieved through murder. Salvation is looked upon as a way by which the Son of God was killed instead of you." ("A Course in Miracles")

* Selah *

beloved57

Eph 2:4-6
When did God make us alive together with Christ ?​
Eph 2:4-6
4But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)
6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
The answer to the question is in purpose and objectively we were raised up together with Christ at the same time He was raised up by The Father. That is what Paul is teaching here.​

Last edited:

beloved57

The Atonement of Christ accomplished the building of Christ Church !

Matt 16:18

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus here did not mean a literal church building, but His People, True believers in Him, upon the rock of He being the Christ, the Son of the Living God, and the shedding of His Blood..

Within this statement Jesus ensures there will believers in Himself, that is all that the Father hath given Him. His building His Church produces believers, Notice Jesus states " I will build my Church " take that freewillers, for Christ depends solely on His will and not yours to build His Church.

The word build is the greek word:

oikodomeō and means:

to build a house, erect a building

a) to build (up from the foundation)

b) to restore by building, to rebuild, repair2) metaph.

a) to found, establish

b) to promote growth in Christian wisdom, affection, grace, virtue, holiness, blessedness

c) to grow in wisdom and piety

This Ideal is conveyed in Acts 15 when James quotes scripture prophecy Acts 15:13-16

13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out[choose] of them a people for his name.

15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

This also means that Christ Church was in the OT as well.

And Christ assures us that the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it !

The gates of hell cannot prevent one for whom Christ died from believing in Christ nor from going to heaven. If anyone of the church that the blood of Christ purchased as per Acts 20:28b

to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

If anyone of them perish for their sins, then the gates of hell prevailed against the Church that Christ said He would build. If anyone of that Church dies in unbelief and perish in their sins as per Jn 8:24

24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Then the gates of hell prevailed against Christ building His Church.

If one goes to hell its because the gates of hell prevailed against them, that is the devil prevailed against them.

Unbelief is due to the devil blinding us 2 Cor 4:3

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,

Lk 8:12

12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

So yes, unbelief is due to the devil being victorious ! He prevails preventing one to believe and be saved.. Paul says this:

2 Thess 2:10

And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Satan, the Devil, the gates of Hell is prevailing against such as these..

But Jesus Christ by His Atoning death will build a community of believers in Him, that shall follow Him..

He says as a complement to Matt 16:18 this Jn 12:32

32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Thats His building, His drawing all to Him that He was lifted up for as the Son of the Living God.

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
"Righteousness implies that God is the source of the moral law of the universe. Truth exhibits God as a revealer, as a teacher. But love gives and craves affection, seeks understanding fellowship such as exists between parent and child. Righteousness may be the divine thought, but love is a father’s attitude. The erroneous supposition that the righteousness of God was irreconcilable with the selfless love of the heavenly Father, presupposed absence of unity in the nature of Deity and led directly to the elaboration of the atonement doctrine, which is a philosophic assault upon both the unity and the free-willness of God."

Jesus taught and practiced his religion (the gospel of the kingdom of heaven) for 3 years before he ever voluntarily shared death with humanity as an act of Love. He never taught human sacrifice nor the atonement doctrine. Sacrifice minded Jewish converts to Christianity assumed the atonement doctrine.

The atonement doctrine is a fallacy and only acts to obscure the living truth of the Father's love for mankind.

Caino

beloved57

caino:

Righteousness implies that God is the source of the moral law of the universe.

Christ death accomplished, that whoever He died for, they shall be made righteous. Rom 5:19

so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Last edited:

beloved57

Christ death accomplished purification of sin to all He died for !

Heb 9:13

13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Those who believe that the atoning death of Christ does not purify all for whom He died, you are reducing the precious blood of the Son of God to be even less effective than the blood of bulls and goats, and the ashes of an heifer that accomplished the purifying of the flesh, which was actually a type of what the Blood of Christ does..

Whereas the animal blood only provided outward sanctification and purification, the blood of Christ accomplished a purification of the inmost being, for it [His blood] actually purifies the conscience from dead works to serve the Living God..

Anyone who never comes to serve the Living God, Christ did not shed His blood for them, or His blood was ineffectual .

Last edited:

beloved57

Rom 5:17

17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

This is another scripture that proclaims the effects of Christ death unto those He died for, they shall reign in life by one.

Thats because the ones He died for will receive abundance of Grace and the Free Gift of righteousness.

Paul writes on down in vs 19, that all those Christ died for shall be made righteous, hence the free gift of righteousness.

The word receive here does not mean a offer was made and received or could have been rejected, but it means effectually given or applied to the ones receiving; Just like through Adam, men received death, we received condemnation, they were not offered to us but made to apply to us.

Those Jesus died for reign in this life because Jesus by His blood hath made us a Kingdom. Rev 1:5-6

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Notice vs 6 He hath made us King and Priest, being washed in His blood.

Thats why Paul says they shall reign in life, the atoning blood of Christ produces/accomplishes that effect.

Jesus blood made those He died for a Kingdom, we are kings and priests solely because of His Blood.

Last edited:

beloved57

Made Kings and Priest by His blood !

Jesus blood made those He died for a Kingdom, we are kings and priests solely because of His Blood. Rev 1:5-6

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. See also Rev 5:9-10

So it is True that by His own blood He made us [those He died in behalf of] a Kingdom of priest.

All for whom Christ died will sooner or later in their life time, according to the purpose of God for them, become believers in Christ, to manifest their union with Him when He died, for they were in Him just as they were in Adam when He died, and Just as our union with Adam was made manifest by our being made sinners, so likewise, our union with Christ when He died is made manifest when we are made priest by Christ blood..

1 Pet 2:9

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

None can by their own freewill be made of a royal priesthood, its an Divine Appointment, and Christ by His blood, causes all for whom He died to become.

Last edited:

beloved57

The Atonement of Christ or the satisfaction of Christ took care of Two major problems that sinners had in regards to God's Holy Law, He Christ rendered a Perfect obedience to all its statues, and He endured it's punishment due for its violation for His People, those the Father had given Him, this death of Christ was the taking away of the sin and its punishment due to the elect world Jn 1:29

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

That is men and women of all ethnic groups. And all ages of world history.

Therefore the World of Jn 1:29 is a world saved by the Lamb !

Last edited:

beloved57

It gives forgiveness or remission of sins !

Matt 26:28

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

The word remission here is the greek word aphesis and means:

release from bondage or imprisonment

2) forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty

And it is translated forgiveness six times in the NT Mk 3:29;Acts 5:31;13:38;26:18;Eph 1:7;Col 1:14

And so one of blessings of the atonement or the blood of Christ accomplished alone, for all those He died for is the remission or forgiveness of their sins all of them Col 2:13

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

As just pointed out the word remission and forgiveness are the same in the greek, and means the cancellation of guilt, all legal guilt against the law of God, that properly belongs to guilty sinners , by means of Christ satisfaction [His Blood], He propitiated the Father in behalf of His People [Israel spiritual]. Christ made complete amends to the Law of God for every transgression which the sins of God's people committed. He by His death satisfied the alienation which our sins had made, He compensated for all the wrongs we had done against God's law Ps 69:4

then I restored that which I took not away.

So it is imperative to preach as an accomplishment of Christ blood the forgiveness of sins, not the possibility of , if a condition by the sinner is met, but premised completely on the blood of Christ Lk 24:47

47And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Now both repentance and remission of sins were to proclaimed in Christ name, not as duties and conditions to get saved, but as accomplishments of His work on the cross, and He Now as a risen Saviour gives them to a chosen People [Israel] that's what peter preached Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Note: Israel here is not national Israel, but the Israel of God made of jew and gentile. national israel was a type for all God's chosen of all nations, so this scripture shows us the limited scope of intention and application of repentance and remission or forgiveness of sins. The preaching was that God's Chosen people, throughout the world might receive the knowledge of their salvation by the remission or forgiveness of their sins Lk 1:77

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, Yes, remission of sins is salvation..but notice, who receives this knowledge ? His People. see Matt 1:21 about His people !

The knowledge of salvation by the remission of sins is a experiential knowledge resulting in a change of mind and behavior in granting repentance.. These are a effect and accomplishment of the atonement of Christ, and all for whom He died has forgiveness or remission of sins, for its a covenant blessing from His blood Heb 8:12

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Last edited:

beloved57

more on remission of sins !

Reconciliation and Remission of sins or forgiveness of sins are connected with one another as per 2 Cor 5:19

19To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

For that which was the ground of reconciliation [Christ death or blood]

It also was the ground for forgiveness of sins [Christ death or blood].

For certainly reconciliation implies in its nature a canceling out of the punishment of sin. Since it implies a being received into His Favor, God could receive us thusly, because our sins had been put away or remitted.

The greek word for remission aphesis means a sending away, and its also translated deliverance and liberty as in Lk 4:18

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Notice by the way who this liberty / remission was preached to, " The Poor " not economically poor but the poor in spirit, the regenerated, those who had been made sensible sinners by New Birth see Matt 5:3. The word is also translated forgiveness in Acts 13:38 and Eph 1:7.

Forgiveness is another way of preaching the Truth of non imputation of sin as in 2 Cor 5:19 and Rom 4:7-8.

The remission of sins means God refuses, and will not charge sin to their account for whom Christ died and who become believers. It denotes that there has been deliverance from the curse of the law, Christ having been made a curse for them Gal 3. There are other words used in the NT that means the same thing i.e Heb 1:3

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

They [ their sins] have removed from the face of God the Judge.

The non imputation of sin [remission] is not only the consequent result of Christ death, but was the underlying cause of His death, hence sin is not imputed to the members of His body, since they were imputed to their Head.

Last edited:

beloved57

More on remission of sins !

The non imputation of sin [remission] is not only the consequent result of Christ death, but was the underlying cause of His death, hence sin is not imputed to the members of His body, since they were imputed to their Head.

Trespasses are not laid to the Charge of the members of Christ body [ 2 nd Cor 5:19], because they were imputed to their Head Christ, for He was made sin for them, that is a sin offering. God the Father legally constituted Him to be an offering for sin in accordance with the agreement between them in the everlasting covenant. Made Him to be sin means that He appointed Him to be our substitute and to bare our sins, He became legally and officially liable to God's wrath and curse. see Gal 3:13.

Christ was made sin for God's people by the reckoning of our guilt to His own account, so much so, He called them His Transgressions and foolishness see Ps 69:5 and so Divine Justice was pleased to bruise Him [in our stead] for our sins, and so by His stripes we were healed.

Now the great evidence of one having had their sins remitted or forgiven is that they all will become believers in Him Acts 13:38-39

38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

And please pay attention to vs 39 whereby it states BY HIM, everyone believing is freed from the law of moses, they are believing by Him, through Him, because of the redemption in His blood. We will see later Lord willing how redemption has to do with believing in Christ..

So Christ is the instrumental means by which the elect believe..

A similar statement is found in 1 Pet 1:21

Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Again, Christ being the instrumental means by which men believe in God, and Christ is God as well..

Last edited:

beloved57

It gives redemption !

Eph 1:7

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

As we can see Redemption is connected with remission or forgiveness of sins [which is non imputation 2 Cor 5:19] for sins are forgiven by the redeeming blood of Christ.

Because Christ on behalf of the sheep, satisfied God's wrath, the redemption of the sheep is the fruit or result thereof. In Eph 1:7 we read " In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins. Its noted of the preposition Paul uses here, which is not through whom, but in whom we have redemption, because redemption was a right to each one its was to be applied to by the Spirit of promise when regenerated, and because Christ died, and we were Chosen in Him before the foundation Eph 1:4. We had a right because Jesus was our near kinsmen Redeemer because of having been chosen in Him by the Father.

Now, Just like the elect had condemnation before being born into this world, likewise the elect have redemption in Christ based upon His obedience, before being born into this world. But this ensures our release from captivity of sin.

Christ gave Himself a ransom for many, thus effecting their redemption, these terms when used in reckoning the work of Christ are joined together, the ransom denoting the price paid [ Christ life or blood] and the redemption, the effect of the ransom, is the liberation out of a prison of a prisoner [ who had been shut up into unbelief and sin, spiritual death]. The ransom paid demands the prisoners to be set free from the captivity of Satan and unbelief !See 2 Cor 4:3-4

Last edited:

beloved57

It gives redemption cont

Christ gave Himself a ransom for many, thus effecting their redemption, these terms when used in reckoning the work of Christ are joined together, the ransom denoting the price paid [ Christ life or blood] and the redemption, the effect of the ransom, is the liberation out of a prison of a prisoner [ who had been shut up into unbelief and sin, spiritual death]. The ransom paid demands the prisoners to be set free from the captivity of Satan !

This [being set free] enables Two Things #1 The one being set free from the captivity of Satan has been granted repentance 2 Tim 2:25-26

25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Yes, The redemption in Christ Christ Jesus delivers from the snare and captivity of Satan to the acknowledging of the Truth.

You see those who do not obey or believe the Truth or contradict it as described in 2 Thess 2:11,12

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Thats because they are in captivity to Satan, but if Christ died for them, they will experience redemption or liberation from Satan and His lies, that's what it means to have the Son set you free Jn 8:36

36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Jesus is referring to the redemption in His blood which will set free . liberate and deliver them He shall die for.

#2. Redemption enables and effects one to believe, because unbelief is merely a symptom of being captive and blinded by the God of this world [Satan] or the prince of this world . 2 Cor 4:3-4

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

see http://www.studylight.org/com/geb/view.cgi?book=2co&chapter=004&verse=004

It is the work of Satan to keep unbelievers minds blinded and unable to see the Truth in the Gospel, but the redemption in Christ opens up [by regeneration] blind eyes Lk 4:18

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

see how deliverance [redemption] is connected with recovering of sight for the blind ? Redemption therefore delivers from Satan blindness so we can see and believe. One must see the Son [spiritually] in order to believe as per Jn 6:40

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

He is set forth in the Gospel, for Paul says that Christ had been set before you to the Galatians Gal 3:10

1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes[Spiritual] Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

So redemption in Christ blood delivers from impenitence and unbelief !

None for whom Christ died can die unrepentant and in unbelief, that would defeat His blood. !

Last edited:

beloved57

His Death / Blood actually Redeems !

That Christ by His death, the ransom paid, actually redeems from Satan the strong man is set forth here Jer 31:11

11 For the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and ransomed him from the hand of him that was stronger than he.

Does not that text remind us of what Jesus said here Matt 12:28-29

28 but if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

And let it be noted who it is God ransoms and redeems " Jacob " the Chosen of God , Israel, the seed of Abraham.

Also lets look at Hos 13:14

14 I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.

The redemption Christ effects will deliver from the power of the Grave, which will be more evident at the Second Coming see Jn 5:28-29, but it also delivers from death, which is to include Spiritual death, because it delivers out from the one who had the power of death Heb 2:14

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

He delivers by His redeeming blood, those He died for from being dead in sin Eph 2:5

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened[delivered] us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved )

All for whom Christ died and redeemed, must be quickened out of spiritual death and given life, spiritual life. So redemption secures for God's people regeneration, or Justification unto Life !

Rom 5:18

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Life here is that quickening we receive in Eph 2: 5

So redemption is the payment of a ransom and the liberation of the ransomed, the giving of life from the dead, a quickening out of trespasses and sins. It must be added that its limited to the elect of God, His Chosen, His Israel, His Jacob out of mankind Lk 1:68

68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,

He redeems His Chosen, Those Chosen in their Kinsmen Redeemer, Christ Jesus before the world began !

So Redemption gives Life from the dead..

Last edited: