The Agnostic Religion

Balder

angelfightfire said:
There are some outs from much of what I said, however. That is what happens when you accidentally use popular hateful stereotypical arguments like yours, "Christians would mass murder if they just believed God spoke to them or saw some miracle".

Your whole thesis is just dripping with conceit and hatred. It tries to project this image of Christians as mass murdering psychopaths listening to random voices and interpreting random invents as signs from God for which to start their murdering spree.
This is not my thesis. I certainly do not believe that "Christians are potential mass murdering psychopaths," and I never meant to imply that with my question. As I suggested, perhaps you have had previous conversations in which such ugly things were suggested, but that is not what I am saying. In fact, I expect most Christians to be moral people, with a reasonable distaste for murder. If anything, what I am trying to elicit with my questions is a degree of doubt that the claims that God ordered the brutal murder of thousands of people, including children, are accurate or the best representation of what happened. I believe such stories impugn the character of God, and I think the Christian community would be better off to openly acknowledge this.

angelfightfire said:
I honestly would never expect such argumentation from a true Buddhist... such people tend to be completely out of the faith, and if anything, they would not hold a judgemental stance like this on Christians -- of which I know and have known quite a few.
As I keep saying, I think you have read the wrong motivations and intent into my questions. I am not making the judgmental or slanderous claims that you think I am.

angelfightfire said:
What I have said is very clear. You are attempting to use the testimony of Moses in order to condemn God and Moses of murder, for instance. (And thereby anyone who believes this testimony.) IN order for you to do this you must disbelieve the vast majority of what Moses wrote and only actually accept the killing.
No, I don't agree with this. I believe the testimony of Moses demonstrates that he operated from a particular moral and spiritual level of understanding which, while very likely faithful and earnest, was not the most enlightened perspective possible for human beings.

angelfightfire said:
I already applied this case to many hypothetical situations, but you are slow to understand.

The best case here is directly to the case of a trial. You wish to convict someone of murder. Your only witness, however, is Moses. Yet, the only way you can convict the accused of murder is by discounting most of what your own witness has to say.

This is not acceptable in a court of law, it is not acceptable in science, and it is not acceptable by anybody who still has their reasoning faculities with them.
I disagree with your assessment here also. If you hold that one has to believe that someone is incapable of error before even attempting to evaluate or make judgments about their words or actions, then I think that is an unrealistic position. With regard to Moses and the Bible, I do not automatically discount everything Moses has to say, just out of hand; but I do believe I am called, as a human being and a moral agent, to evaluate what he says and does. Approaching the Bible in an objective fashion, I do not believe I have any reason to consider it at the outset to be perfect, without possibility for error or the influence of limited human perspectives.

Balder asked: Do you have to believe a person is flawless and without error before being capable of judging his behavior or his words?

Angelfightfire replied: You are still pretending to be stupid, still refusing to keep to the variables I spoke of, and still trying to trap me into saying, "Sure, I would mass murder if I but believed some voice or miracle happened to me."
I take it you do not want to come out and say that you would help exterminate an entire community of human beings if you believed you were told to do so by God because you know that such activity is not good. And of course, I would expect you to feel that way. Which is why I am saying you should consider that the early Hebrews were mistaken when they believed this to be God's will, or something he would justly endorse.

Balder wrote: I believe that all human beings pass through stages of moral and spiritual development. At different stages, our moral “compass” and our understanding of the nature of the divine, change accordingly. Morally, our “circle of concern” widens and we are able to embrace more in it than previously – moving from self-centered concern to wider and wider contexts. Spiritually, our understanding of God deepens, moving from rather mythical conceptions to more sophisticated, relational, and experientially grounded perspectives. I further believe that the Bible records some of this development in moral and spiritual understanding. At the time of the Hebrews, warfare was obviously very common, life was very hard and often brutal, and the “circle of concern” was largely identified with one’s particular tribe or culture, sometimes extending out to embrace a few outsiders, but certainly not all. In the “incubator” of Hebrew culture, I think certain more profound moral understandings were allowed to grow, though for a long time these moral attitudes and practices were confined to their limited context; outside of that context, the same moral considerations did not apply.

Angelfightfire responded: There you go!

Absolutely, God allowed some things within these contexts, which He would not expect from Christians today.

As Jesus said, to paraphrase, 'Moses let you divorce your wives because you heart's were hard, but I tell you that you can not divorce your wives except for the case of adultery'.

This same kind of principle applies elsewhere in the Law. Now to take that and say, "Well, God therefore advocated divorce", is wrong. It is misreading the text and throwing in hyperbole in order to accuse God.

As other Scripture states, "God hates divorce."

There are many of these kinds of situations within the Old Testament.

Within context, this is what is being said. If you take out the context, you could warp and make any words say anything anywhere.

The Law, as it is written, is on the surface. The kernel of the Law which is true for all is, "Do not do to others what you would not have done to you". This is stated positively as "do to others as you would have them do to you". This has not changed, nor has the Law changed.

The Law, however, was written to all, not just to those who are spiritually reborn.

There is no "evolution" about this matter. If we wish to argue that man has evolved, spiritually and mentally, I would take severe case with this. What happened with the Nazis and Communists was worse then what has ever happened before. Rwanda itself, of which I have spoken of many times was just a very few years ago.
I don't think the presence of evil in this world disproves the truth of the evolution of moral and spiritual perspectives. The fact that we consider genocide today to be evil, but the Hebrews and other early tribal people apparently did not, is evidence of this change. The more moral awareness you have, the more "evil" you can see in the world (when before you were unconscious of it or more fully "implicated" in it). However, every single human being starts out at the lowest level and must traverse all of them individually. Therefore, even if a community may operate generally at a higher level than some other communities, you will still find individuals at virtually all levels of development within any specific community.

angelfightfire said:
But, here is the bigger picture. You are denying the miraculous. Now, if you are really a Buddhist, you are likely incapable of denying that miracles do, indeed, happen. Otherwise, why be a Buddhist, if, for instance, you do not believe Buddha really received any kind of great spiritual awakening which was, in fact, miraculous?
I have never denied that "miraculous" or "supernatural" events are possible. But that doesn't mean I accept all claims of the miraculous indiscriminately.

angelfightfire said:
Where there is Law, we must obey it and operate under it. Where there is no law, we must operate as our conscience dictates.

By no means would God ever command anyone to do anything wicked.
Right. So if you accept that, then when you are faced with morally problematic passages in the Bible, you have at least two possible responses: conclude that killing off a community of people, including their infants, elders, and women, is not wicked; or conclude that such claims represent a limited and fallible human interpretation of "the will of God."

For me, I choose the latter.

Peace,
Balder

Last edited:

angelfightfire

Balder said:
This is not my thesis. I certainly do not believe that "Christians are potential mass murdering psychopaths," and I never meant to imply that with my question. As I suggested, perhaps you have had previous conversations in which such ugly things were suggested, but that is not what I am saying. In fact, I expect most Christians to be moral people, with a reasonable distaste for murder. If anything, what I am trying to elicit with my questions is a degree of doubt that the claims that God ordered the brutal murder of thousands of people, including children, are accurate or the best representation of what happened. I believe such stories impugn the character of God, and I think the Christian community would be better off to openly acknowledge this.

I see. I believe you. My apologies for giving you the third degree. You are correct, there are a large amount of people who believe these things and would use such statements to try and trap Christians to have them state that they would do such things. However, such people invariably are on the very far left -- and I was wondering how this made sense with you, as you did not react to my statements against Marxism or about Islamism... and you have noted that you consider yourself a Buddhist.

I do not think you would say, "In fact, I expect most Christians to be moral people, with a reasonable distaste for murder", if you felt this way, either.

Such people would never make such statements.

Previously, your statements were vague enough that I had to wonder. And you did not immediately correct your statement, apparently you did not understand what I meant by "leaving out the variables of the equation", either... that is leaving out the variables of the evidence Moses and the Hebrews were stated to have at that time.

You are correct. Most Christians would never have done what Moses did. Not that God could not make any Christian like Moses, He could. He just happened to have made Moses in the way that He did.

But, it was not just Moses, was it? But, it was all of the Hebrews. And who are the Hebrews we are talking about here, who are the Jews? So, you see, this is a very sensitive topic.

It appears, however, that you were simply unaware of this.

I would take it that most Christians would not take such issue with such a topic or statements made.

Regardless, let us move on, past this touchy topic.

Balder said:
No, I don't agree with this. I believe the testimony of Moses demonstrates that he operated from a particular moral and spiritual level of understanding which, while very likely faithful and earnest, was not the most enlightened perspective possible for human beings.

But, it was not just Moses here, was it? By that time all of the Hebrews were willing to follow the man and do whatever he said.

But, who was Moses? What were his motivations? There are many texts which suppose a great many things. Most of these are mostly obviously outrageous lies.

What we do know is quite simple. The man was a Hebrew. The Hebrews were slaves. He was adopted into the house of the Pharoah. Some texts claim that he did not know who he was all along. Yet, how could that have been, as he would have looked like these Hebrews, and his nursemaid was his mother.

Maybe he did not discover who he was until he was around forty. That is a possibility. Regardless, he would have known on a deep level. And he would have lived for forty years in this seat of luxury and power, knowing that he was saved miraculously at birth. Believing that this salvation was a sign from God, that God delivered him, so he might deliver his people.

He would have lived in torment for those forty years. Waiting for God to act. But, God would not have acted because it was not God's time to act.

His torment and rage would have been unbearable, but he would have suffered under it, being an extremely meek man.

Then, when he was forty, he acted out. He blew up. He killed a slavedriver. He buried his body.

For the next forty years he lived as a fugitive. Forty more years. Would that have erased the incredible pain? Would his having a new family and a new life had removed his pain? Would he have ever been able to forget his brothers and sisters working as slaves back in Egypt?

Would he have doubted why God saved him? Would he have doubted over all of those forty years, or would he have been able to forget? He would have been burdened all along, heavily burdened. So, when God finally came to him again and said, "I am sending you to free your people", he finally had his say, he did not want to go. He knew God could save them through anybody He wished. But, God had chose him.

What was it that bothered Moses about the Ten Plagues? What bothered him was that the people did not believe him. He did not show concern that these plagues would happen. He still had that rage, that rage was inside him.

But, what was that rage? It was not what it appeared to be. It was an understanding of the Lord's anger against sin, that is what it was. It was a door to the feelings of the Lord. His puny, mortal rage was nothing but so that he could understand God's great rage which would have surpassed him.

It was like the waiting that God made Moses do. Just as God waited patiently all of those years watching His people suffering under the cruel weight of slavery, He made Moses wait, so that Moses would be able to believe and understand God -- and so Moses would do anything God said.

There is a psychological profile of Moses, for you.

I doubt you would find that comforting. I think you might find it accurate, however.

So, what I am saying here is simply this: under the same circumstances as Moses, are you so sure that no one else today would do as he did?

Balder said:
I disagree with your assessment here also. If you hold that one has to believe that someone is incapable of error before even attempting to evaluate or make judgments about their words or actions, then I think that is an unrealistic position. With regard to Moses and the Bible, I do not automatically discount everything Moses has to say, just out of hand; but I do believe I am called, as a human being and a moral agent, to evaluate what he says and does. Approaching the Bible in an objective fashion, I do not believe I have any reason to consider it at the outset to be perfect, without possibility for error or the influence of limited human perspectives.

You are correct in this: No one at the outset, before reading the Bible should consider it true, unless they have other evidence which indicates that it should be true. The Scripture is quite plain on this, "Test all things and hold fast to that which is true".

You do not seem to think that the Scripture has that ring of truth to it, that taste of truth, after reading it. Is this because you simply can not believe miracles?

Do you simply believe that miracles can not happen? Perhaps because you have never seen miracles before?

If you believe that all of us 'move and live and have our being within God', to paraphrase the Scripture, is it beyond question that God could act within history, showing His hand? Is it also unlikely that God would do this all of the time, or would He hold back His hand, as He has held back gold and precious jewels -- giving them not just glory in presence and substance, but glory in rarity, thereby highlighting their finery?

Balder said:
Balder asked: Do you have to believe a person is flawless and without error before being capable of judging his behavior or his words?

But, which words would be true, and which words would be false? You would believe that he ordered massacres, but you would not believe that he freed the slaves through miracles? That he ordered Death, the Destroyer, to take from each household in Egypt the firstborn? To smite their land with a darkness whose signs may very well last until this very day? Was it that there was a slave revolt?

If they made all of this up, why would they accuse their own people? Why would they speak so incredibly roughly of their own people? Why would generation after generation pass down the truth, when it spoke so plainly and hard against their own nation? What other nation on the face of the planet has kept such a testimony that so convicts them?

Or, did he order the massacres in Canaan? Or, did he come down from the moutain and order the massacres against his own people -- and did he really force them to grind up the Golden Calf and put it in water so they would drink it? Did he really call for God to cause Hell to open up and swallow a whole family alive?

What about the plague of snakes?

He also wrote that Abraham lived in Canaan. If you are not going to believe the story of Moses, then why believe the story of the slavery? Why was it not just that the Jews at one time, while in Canaan, decided to invent the whole story of slavery and Moses? (Granted, you may not be aware of this, but there is some rather strong evidence of the invasion of Jerusalem by the Hebrews.)

Indeed, I have not heard of the miracles of the Ten Plagues nor any of the miracles of the Wilderness of Walls being recorded anywhere else -- though there are many potential signs which do point to some kind of great cataclysm in Egypt. And... from what we know of one of the Pharoah's, Amenhotep, we do see a man who fit the figure of Pharoah as represented in the Scripture to a "t".

We also know a great darkness sorrounds the demise and later vilification of that great Pharoah, which is most mysterious.

But, I suppose I digress here. I suppose you are not interested in what may have actually occured, but how Christians today must see it. (And, I would suppose, Jews as well?)

Balder said:
I take it you do not want to come out and say that you would help exterminate an entire community of human beings if you believed you were told to do so by God because you know that such activity is not good. And of course, I would expect you to feel that way. Which is why I am saying you should consider that the early Hebrews were mistaken when they believed this to be God's will, or something he would justly endorse.

I did not say this, and you know it. I merely said that to judge the circumstances, you must consider all of the circumstances. You can not and will not do that, however.

Christians do not do these things because they believe the full spectrum of circumstances sorrounding Moses and the Hebrews at that time. It was far, far more then just "a voice" or "a miracle".

It was extreme and extraordinary proof, evidence not only of "some power" but of the True and Righteous God who has sympathy on the poor and oppressed, but who will not tolerate sin. A God who does not fail to judge all men, but a God who judges all men with complete righteous and incredible power.

Today, where are such miracles or proofs that we might point to them, to say, "This is the voice of the Lord"?

Our standard of proof is exceedingly high, whether you believe them or not.

We know wickedness from righteousness. Did we not fight against the wicked Axis powers duing WWII? Did we require a sign from God to send us to fight against these patently wicked powers? It was a righteous cause, and we knew we had to fight it. Indeed, we were so blind - most of us - that we did not enter the war sooner... but, we along with so many, let nation after nation be eaten up, we did not attack even when we heard great evidence of the beginnings of the Holocaust... we did not act even when our great ally, Britain, was being grossly beseiged.

But, when we did act, did we not know that what we were doing was right, even though this meant the death of soldiers and civilians alike? When we did act, did we not then embrace not just the cause of our own defense, but also the cause of the gross massacres of the Jews, of the minorities, of the Eastern Europeans, of the British, of the Western Europeans, and of the Russians? Did we not act knowing the deeds of the Japanese against so many Asian countries?

Was this, too, barbarity?

Was this really so far from what happened in the times of Moses? Maybe you could argue your case against the war against the Canaanites (even though Moses warned that if they left them alive they would always cause problems... even though we see this to this very day)... but, could you make the same case for what they did to become a free people and escape the slavery of the Egyptians?

But, if it was Amenhotep, why would the Egyptians have reviled him, and not the Hebrews?

Have never wondered about that?

If the Hebrews had a slave revolt and freed themselves, would not the Egyptians had honored Amenhotep and reviled the Hebrews?

Are you going to seriously suggest no blood was shed to free the Hebrews?

Balder said:
Balder wrote: I believe that all human beings pass through stages of moral and spiritual development. At different stages, our moral “compass” and our understanding of the nature of the divine, change accordingly. Morally, our “circle of concern” widens and we are able to embrace more in it than previously – moving from self-centered concern to wider and wider contexts. Spiritually, our understanding of God deepens, moving from rather mythical conceptions to more sophisticated, relational, and experientially grounded perspectives. I further believe that the Bible records some of this development in moral and spiritual understanding. At the time of the Hebrews, warfare was obviously very common, life was very hard and often brutal, and the “circle of concern” was largely identified with one’s particular tribe or culture, sometimes extending out to embrace a few outsiders, but certainly not all. In the “incubator” of Hebrew culture, I think certain more profound moral understandings were allowed to grow, though for a long time these moral attitudes and practices were confined to their limited context; outside of that context, the same moral considerations did not apply.

[...]

I don't think the presence of evil in this world disproves the truth of the evolution of moral and spiritual perspectives. The fact that we consider genocide today to be evil, but the Hebrews and other early tribal people apparently did not, is evidence of this change. The more moral awareness you have, the more "evil" you can see in the world (when before you were unconscious of it or more fully "implicated" in it). However, every single human being starts out at the lowest level and must traverse all of them individually. Therefore, even if a community may operate generally at a higher level than some other communities, you will still find individuals at virtually all levels of development within any specific community.

They did not consider the slavery imposed upon them by the Egyptians to be evil? Did the Americans bomb the Japanese? Some would argue that unnecessarily took lives, others would argue that this saved lives. Even while there are many debates about this subject... and such subjects as the fire bombings against Germany, largely, these things have not been reviled by the surviving nations who suffered the torments of the Axis powers.

They have not been applauded, either. But, they have been accepted as grim and necessary facts. Do not think it is just the Americans and the British who feel this way... though perhaps many from Germany and Japan do not. But, these things are accepted as necessary from all of the victim nations who still remember these crimes: from the Jews to the Polish to the Chinese to the Koreans to the Czechs, and so on.

And, if we are so greatly concerned about genocide, I would suggest that you watch the movie out now on Rwanda, "Hotel Rwanda". I would also suggest that you pick up some books about the Rwandan situation.

Why is it that the "civilized" nations of the world literally abandoned these poor and impoverished people to an incredible nightmare of genocide?

You seem to be entirely ignorant of Rwanda.

This is not surprising. Have you heard about all of the rock concerts we are doing for Rwanda and the aid we are sending them to help their country? That is right, because we do not and we are not. (Yes, there is some aid, but it is pitiful, even today.)

And, if you seriously think that ends it, you are quite mistaken. Have you failed to read the news about what has been happening in the Congo Republic by the very UN soldiers? Do you think these things are lies? Or, for that matter, what these very same people have been doing in the Balkans?

Have you followed Zimbabwe? Or have you heard about Sudan?

I fail to understand your point about how "civilzed" we have become under the light of reality. Could it be that you have not followed the news on these situations? It is true... they make everyone look bad, all of us "civilized" folks who heard about this mass genocide in Rwanda and thought nothing of it.

And, even if the news was distorted - and it was - do we not now know the facts?

Or, how about Afghanistan, for that matter? Remember the great "outrage" from the world over the US invading Afghanistan? Yet, how did we see it? I will tell you as one of those who politically are in power right now: we saw it as the chance not only to try and get Al Qaeda, no, we saw it as a crusade - yes, a crusade - to align with men who were not even of our faith, the Northern Alliance... to take out the bloody dictatorship of the Taliban... and unrighteous regime if there ever stood one on the face of the planet. And we knew we could do it with minimum civilian casualities.

But, this is not my point. This is not the irony. The irony is a horrible truth that all of these global protesters failed to recognize: but a little over a decade before this ended a bloody, horrible seige of that very nation which took an estimated - a well estimated - two million Afghani lives. A seige which lasted not for a few months, but for ten long years. A seige which sought not to bring true freedom of religion and deliverance from a bloody regime... but a seige, a war, which sought to impose athiesm and totalitarianism on the land. A seige which was not protested by the far left, but a seige which the far left supported.

Is that not savagery?

It is calculated savagery. It is savagery hiding behind the careful built up appearances of "goodness". It is a carefully calculated wickedness which our barbaric ancestors were still yet incapable of. They were far from capable of it, for they did not know how to pretend to be civilized.

They were a pure and simple people who did not understand how to be exceedingly evil and put on every pretension of righteousness.

Yet, I do not wholly disagree with you, as I have already said. I would just point out that, yes, there is more evil in the world. It is darker today then it was yesterday. Evil, like anything almost, builds on the past. But, as it gets darker, so too is there greater Light... for the Light does not serve the darkness, but the darkness serves the Light.

Balder said:
I have never denied that "miraculous" or "supernatural" events are possible. But that doesn't mean I accept all claims of the miraculous indiscriminately.

I find it very hard to understand how one might divide between myth and fact... not when looking at the myths of the world... but when looking at Scripture.

I also am skeptical as to what you mean by "miraculous". Do you believe it is possible for the Red Sea to be parted? Do you believe that God could act through a man to announce plagues? Do you believe that the Ten Plagues could have happened? Do you believe that it could have been possible that the Hebrews heard the voice of the Lord and the terrible trumpet blasts? Do you believe that the leaders of the Hebrews could have "sat and ate with the Lord"?

Balder said:
Right. So if you accept that, then when you are faced with morally problematic passages in the Bible, you have at least two possible responses: conclude that killing off a community of people, including their infants, elders, and women, is not wicked; or conclude that such claims represent a limited and fallible human interpretation of "the will of God."

Peace,
Balder

There is nothing to celebrate about such horrible things. However, through history countless nations and peoples have been clearly corrupted and then after destroyed by natural disaster, plague, famine, or war. (And other means.)

And, there is the fact that we must all die... and that horrible things happen to all alike.

What of all of these things? Are we to say, "God, I am more noble then you?"... or would we somehow pretend that God is not ultimately in control of all things? Surely, God does not perform wickedness, but could He not stop it? Indeed, how often do the poor and oppressed call out, "Is there no justice in this world?!"

But, there is justice in this world, and we do not comprehend all things -- just as the Lord told Job. There is far more to everything then what we see with our eyes or hear with our ears. The Lord is a just God, and yet, He hides himself. Where is justice, therefore, where is God? Do we not all know that God is justice and He is everywhere? Yet, only those who have faith in Him can trust in Him to bring all justice to all people.

Good and bad alike.

Balder

angelfightfire said:
Previously, your statements were vague enough that I had to wonder. And you did not immediately correct your statement, apparently you did not understand what I meant by "leaving out the variables of the equation", either... that is leaving out the variables of the evidence Moses and the Hebrews were stated to have at that time.

You are correct. Most Christians would never have done what Moses did. Not that God could not make any Christian like Moses, He could. He just happened to have made Moses in the way that He did.
I did understand that the "variables of the equation" that you were talking about were the miracles and other events that happened during their lifetimes. I am not sure they have a direct bearing on the issues I'm talking about, at least for the perspective from which I see them, but we'll see.

One question is, what separates Moses from those people who would never do what he did? There must be a number of variables, depending on why he did what he did, and why some others wouldn't do it. For instance, some people might lack his fortitude or courage or passion or faith, and thus they wouldn't be able to rise to his level of greatness. On the other hand, because he also ordered or participated in some pretty terrible acts (as did others in his day), some people might not do what he did because they would find some of those things to be morally objectionable.

Balder wrote: I believe the testimony of Moses demonstrates that he operated from a particular moral and spiritual level of understanding which, while very likely faithful and earnest, was not the most enlightened perspective possible for human beings.

Angelfightfire replied: But, it was not just Moses here, was it? By that time all of the Hebrews were willing to follow the man and do whatever he said.
Yes, that's true. Personally, although Moses was a man of his times, with all that entails, I think he was "ahead" of his times (or at least his people) in some ways. He was likely more educated than the slaves he led out of Egypt, and I believe he had genuine spiritual insight and experience. I sometimes rely on one model that has been proposed for classifying moral development: v-Memes or "value memes." In the language of that system, I think Moses helped usher in a movement from one meme to another, helping bind people together around a vision of law and justice that transcended the moral orientation of most of the people he was leading. The prevailing v-Meme for those people would be classified as Red, which is the sort of value system that you find among many tribes and gangs: a kind of warrior code of honor, bravery, power, and so on, that encourages a rather narrow group solidarity or loyalty. The v-Meme which Moses helped to bring in would be Blue, a values system grounded in a mythos of membership in a higher, guiding order, centered in a vision of law and justice (not just "Red" bravery, loyalty, and honor).

To give a detailed understanding of this would probably be too involved. My point here is simply that I see Moses as operating from a particular moral orientation, which has its strengths and weaknesses, and as having played a transformative as well as a liberating "role" for his people. I do not believe he was operating from a moral perspective that was as developed as ones that have been articulated by Jesus or other saints, even though some of what he taught may have contained the "seeds" for those higher understandings to emerge or develop. What Moses did, and what those who followed him did, was not always in keeping with the kind of activity those higher perspectives would encourage or endorse (in my opinion).

Angelfightfire said:
But, who was Moses? What were his motivations? There are many texts which suppose a great many things. Most of these are mostly obviously outrageous lies.

What we do know is quite simple. The man was a Hebrew. The Hebrews were slaves. He was adopted into the house of the Pharoah. Some texts claim that he did not know who he was all along. Yet, how could that have been, as he would have looked like these Hebrews, and his nursemaid was his mother.

Maybe he did not discover who he was until he was around forty. That is a possibility. Regardless, he would have known on a deep level. And he would have lived for forty years in this seat of luxury and power, knowing that he was saved miraculously at birth. Believing that this salvation was a sign from God, that God delivered him, so he might deliver his people.

He would have lived in torment for those forty years. Waiting for God to act. But, God would not have acted because it was not God's time to act.

His torment and rage would have been unbearable, but he would have suffered under it, being an extremely meek man.

Then, when he was forty, he acted out. He blew up. He killed a slavedriver. He buried his body.

For the next forty years he lived as a fugitive. Forty more years. Would that have erased the incredible pain? Would his having a new family and a new life had removed his pain? Would he have ever been able to forget his brothers and sisters working as slaves back in Egypt?

Would he have doubted why God saved him? Would he have doubted over all of those forty years, or would he have been able to forget? He would have been burdened all along, heavily burdened. So, when God finally came to him again and said, "I am sending you to free your people", he finally had his say, he did not want to go. He knew God could save them through anybody He wished. But, God had chose him.

What was it that bothered Moses about the Ten Plagues? What bothered him was that the people did not believe him. He did not show concern that these plagues would happen. He still had that rage, that rage was inside him.

But, what was that rage? It was not what it appeared to be. It was an understanding of the Lord's anger against sin, that is what it was. It was a door to the feelings of the Lord. His puny, mortal rage was nothing but so that he could understand God's great rage which would have surpassed him.

It was like the waiting that God made Moses do. Just as God waited patiently all of those years watching His people suffering under the cruel weight of slavery, He made Moses wait, so that Moses would be able to believe and understand God -- and so Moses would do anything God said.

There is a psychological profile of Moses, for you.

I doubt you would find that comforting. I think you might find it accurate, however.
It's been awhile since I read the Exodus account, but much of what you say seems to reflect my memory of it. I am not sure about the idea that Moses knew all along that he was a Jew and was waiting for liberation for 40 years; it seems to me more likely that, once he realized it, he saw his whole life with the Egyptians in a new way, and understood the treatment of the Jewish slaves in a new way as well. But since my memory is so rusty, I won't insist on that interpretation.

angelfightfire said:
So, what I am saying here is simply this: under the same circumstances as Moses, are you so sure that no one else today would do as he did?
No, I think there are probably many people who would do as Moses did, in those same circumstances. Again, though, I think a person's actions in those conditions would depend, to some extent, upon their own moral and spiritual maturity. For instance, I do not think that some of the great Christian saints would have done the same things. I think, for some of them, ordering the mass murder of a whole community would have been unthinkable and totally wrong. I would say the same of the Buddha or of many Buddhist saints, such as Shantideva: they would not have ordered the mass murder of people, either of their own people (for a religious transgression) or of foreigners, nor would they have urged the brutal conquering of other lands.

Balder wrote: I disagree with your assessment here also. If you hold that one has to believe that someone is incapable of error before even attempting to evaluate or make judgments about their words or actions, then I think that is an unrealistic position. With regard to Moses and the Bible, I do not automatically discount everything Moses has to say, just out of hand; but I do believe I am called, as a human being and a moral agent, to evaluate what he says and does. Approaching the Bible in an objective fashion, I do not believe I have any reason to consider it at the outset to be perfect, without possibility for error or the influence of limited human perspectives.

Angelfightfire replied: You are correct in this: No one at the outset, before reading the Bible should consider it true, unless they have other evidence which indicates that it should be true. The Scripture is quite plain on this, "Test all things and hold fast to that which is true".

You do not seem to think that the Scripture has that ring of truth to it, that taste of truth, after reading it. Is this because you simply can not believe miracles?

Do you simply believe that miracles can not happen? Perhaps because you have never seen miracles before?
No, as I said later in my last letter to you, I do believe miraculous events are possible. I have also witnessed and experienced extraordinary things in my own life.

I believe the Bible communicates many spiritual truths, but after reading the Bible, I do not have the impression that it is infallible, nor do I take everything it says literally. In some places, I think it reflects a mythological more than an historical perspective, though obviously the two are woven together rather tightly.

Angelfightfire replied: But, which words would be true, and which words would be false? You would believe that he ordered massacres, but you would not believe that he freed the slaves through miracles? That he ordered Death, the Destroyer, to take from each household in Egypt the firstborn? To smite their land with a darkness whose signs may very well last until this very day? Was it that there was a slave revolt?
I am not sure if it breaks down to something as simple as weeding out true and false statements. I think the Bible reflects a worldview, with the interpretations appropriate to that worldview, which most certainly colored the narration of historical events. Biblical hermeneutics is a complex and intricate process, and I for one do not believe that a proper hermeneutical approach must deny at the outset the existence of any miraculous or "supernatural" events. But that does not mean that one conversely must accept every supernatural claim at face value, nor accept that every interpretation offered by the Biblical authors for a particular event is "absolutely true."

Some of the "pictures" the Bible paints of God -- of his motivations, feelings, activities, and so on -- appear to me to be more reflective of particular human ways of understanding things, rather than infallible portraits of the nature of the Absolute.

Balder wrote: I take it you do not want to come out and say that you would help exterminate an entire community of human beings if you believed you were told to do so by God because you know that such activity is not good. And of course, I would expect you to feel that way. Which is why I am saying you should consider that the early Hebrews were mistaken when they believed this to be God's will, or something he would justly endorse.
Angelfightfire replied: I did not say this, and you know it. I merely said that to judge the circumstances, you must consider all of the circumstances. You can not and will not do that, however.
I am willing to consider all of the circumstances. I just think that people often leave out the important roles that human moral, cognitive, and spiritual development have in shaping the contents of the Biblical record, and in driving the activities and interpretations recorded in the Bible. I think those circumstances should be considered as well.

Angelfightfire said:
Christians do not do these things because they believe the full spectrum of circumstances sorrounding Moses and the Hebrews at that time. It was far, far more then just "a voice" or "a miracle".

It was extreme and extraordinary proof, evidence not only of "some power" but of the True and Righteous God who has sympathy on the poor and oppressed, but who will not tolerate sin. A God who does not fail to judge all men, but a God who judges all men with complete righteous and incredible power.

Today, where are such miracles or proofs that we might point to them, to say, "This is the voice of the Lord"?

Our standard of proof is exceedingly high, whether you believe them or not.
Here, you are emphasizing "proof" that it is really God talking as being the determining factor whether or not one would carry out the massacre of whole communities of people, including infants. This implies, of course, that God might really command such acts, and that it would be okay for Christians to do them if they believed they had evidence as compelling as the evidence they believe the early Hebrews had. It also implies that Jesus could have led such campaigns himself during his time on earth, if he had wanted to; that he would not have had qualms about asking his disciples to go into Roman villages and kill everyone in them, if he had thought it would have furthered the mission of his church. (The Book of Mormon has Jesus doing just this in the New World: leading bloody campaigns of slaughter.)

In other words, the "determining factors" you are emphasizing are not so much moral in scope, but evidential and circumstantial. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have always believed that Jesus would have rejected the idea of wiping out communities on moral and spiritual grounds; I believe he would consider such acts to be immoral and evil. The Buddha certainly rejected such activity, in no uncertain terms.

Concerning your remarks about all the wars humanity has fought, recently and in its history, and how you fail to see how there has been any moral development throughout that history, I'll try to explain my perspective a little more rather than responding point by point to your comments.

Just as an aside, yes, I am familiar with what happened and is happening in Rwanda (and I've seen Hotel Rwanda as well) and in other parts of the world. I am also well aware of what has been done by the Chinese to the Tibetans, as some of my teachers and acquaintances have suffered under that brutal regime.

When I say that I believe that humans undergo spiritual and moral development, I do not mean to imply that the whole world nowadays operates at a higher level than it did in the past. It is a staggered and uneven development, varying person to person, family to family, group to group, culture to culture, nation to nation. There is quite a bit of evidence that human beings, in all cultures, pass through similar general stages of moral awareness and understanding as they grow from infancy to adulthood. Typically, the most basic progression is from a self-centered perspective to wider perspectives which are able to appreciate the value and needs and rights of others: an expanding circle of concern and consideration, and a progression from fairly simplistic childish models ("It's not fair! It's my turn!") to more sophisticated, socially and psychologically nuanced models. Not all human beings will grow through the whole range of moral perspectives. Typically, people "settle" around the value system honored and taught by their particular society, with some staying below that level, and some rising above it.

I think we would agree that societies which allow child sacrifice and child prostitution, which endorse slavery, which totally subjugate women and put dissidents through meat grinders, which thrive on racism, which preach hatred and distrust of all outsiders, which rule by fear and intimidation, which regularly seek to exploit others, and so on, are generally less morally developed than those societies in which such things are rejected for their cruelty and lack of compassion.

Obviously, you will find societies operating at a wide spectrum of moral "orientations," and they will not always be consistent. They may exhibit a clash of value systems, as you find in many modern countries. However, I think it is possible to identify general "centers of gravity" for particular societies, such that it is possible to say that the US Constitution represents a more morally advanced perspective than the philosophy of Nazism, the whims of Saddam, or the edicts of the Taliban.

One "problem" in the modern age is that the technology developed by relatively compassionate cultures or individuals may be appropriated and used, to terrible effect, by those who operate from much more self-centered and destructive worldviews...within the same culture, or between very different cultures.

This is a very complex and subtle topic, however, and it is fraught with opportunities for indulging in elitism. It would take much more time than a simple post to really articulate all of its dimensions. From the perspective I have been describing, modern Christian- and Enlightenment-influenced cultures have typically moved "beyond" the moral orientation of the early Hebrew and Christian culture, where stoning people and burning them alive were seen as appropriate ways to maintain social order and cohesion. In general, we are put off by such things and would not tolerate them now; they seem unnecessarily cruel. We have found better ways to maintain order, without having to resort to or indulge in our more brutal impulses. Modern society is also imperfect and riddled with contradiction, but in general terms, I feel comfortable saying it occupies a more righteous and compassionate perspective than the one inhabited by Moses and his contemporaries (even though he also struggled to transform and improve the prevailing views of his day).

Best wishes,
Balder

Last edited:

servent101

Balder

Good to see you back - your up and hitting on all eight cylinders again - good for you... and I understand your outlook
Perhaps I am wrong, but I have always believed that Jesus would have rejected the idea of wiping out communities on moral and spiritual grounds; I believe he would consider such acts to be immoral and evil. The Buddha certainly rejected such activity, in no uncertain terms.

I respect the Buddha, and in a recent post - http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=866747#post866747 to someone I suggested
The Law was given to a very obstinate and stubborn people - and the Law is good, but there are people whom to expect to follow the Law, as good as it is, they are so far beyond that in their own lives - it would be kind of like telling Lance Armstrong to put training wheels on his bike. There are some "religions" that are so far above the Law... going far beyond in Purity and KNOWLEDGE that for them, they take it as good, that you try to follow the Law, and they do not take offense... but all in all the Law was written to a very stubborn and obstinate people.

The history of these people, and the barbaric tribes that surrounded them, and the lack of what we take for granted that allows us to do far more than feed ourselves - back then in that specific geographical location life consisted of survival, with very little in the way of any social safety net… it really was a matter of kill or be killed. I appreciate your view that yes Christians have come a long way - and as well the necessity to destroy a complete rival tribe - well that today I would hope that we have gotten past, as today hopefully we are all a little less barbaric as this modern age does afford us many avenues to work out our differences peacefully. As for how barbaric the times were - it is recorded that during the forty years of wandering, only two people survived to enter into the “Promised Land” Joshua and Jonathan - all others perished mostly at the hands of the various warring tribes in the region.

To me I am willing to seek a peaceful way to solve my difficulties with my fellow human beings, but even today, a few still see murder as a legitimate way to find security, and sometimes we have to defend ourselves by any means possible.

As for if it could have been God - who gave the command, I think it is and it was a logical and compassionate command - as death is God’s gracious provision, that we loose this “crap” that has attached itself to our soul - including this fear of death which seems to entrap you into thinking the loss of life - a whole tribe, is something that God does not have the capacity to make for the dead a better future, for those who have been killed by the sword for the sins of the society they were born into, and who could not escape from whatever was “detestable” because of the times… it was a blessing to end it, and have their souls in God’s hands. As Krishna says - the unknowing morn for the dead.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

Mustard Seed

Balder said:
(The Book of Mormon has Jesus doing just this in the New World: leading bloody campaigns of slaughter.)

Correction----

Jesus did no such thing in the Bible or the Book of Mormon. His visit to the Americas, as ellaborated in the Book of Mormon, was followed by over three centuries without armed conflict. True he did through his profits encourage his followers to defend their families their liberty and their right to worship God "unto the shedding of blood" it was always a last resort and could not be initiated by them. It was what might be labeled a 'just war' requisit. They were also guided in how to treat captives. It was the civilization's straying from Christ's admonitions that led to their annihilation.

servent101

Mustard Seed
True he did through his profits encourage his followers to defend their families their liberty and their right to worship God "unto the shedding of blood"

This is not so much true today... as we go to court now, and win in court... but in the Old West when things were not so, where people would shoot first to take away people's right to liberty and their rights to worship God - sure shoot back. Generally though Christians go to court now a days - and even if the law changes to stop Christians from worshiping - it is clear that we do not use violence against the law - we do though have the right to defend ourselves against guns and the like - immediate threats to our lives. Laws can never take away religious freedom - as the legislation of any sort of "philosophy" only backfires. If they want to (though I doubt if they ever could) legislate some form of censorship on Christians... all the more power to them, for this would triple the number of Christians in ten years.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Mustard Seed

servent101 said:
Mustard Seed

This is not so much true today... as we go to court now, and win in court... but in the Old West when things were not so, where people would shoot first to take away people's right to liberty and their rights to worship God - sure shoot back. Generally though Christians go to court now a days - and even if the law changes to stop Christians from worshiping - it is clear that we do not use violence against the law - we do though have the right to defend ourselves against guns and the like - immediate threats to our lives. Laws can never take away religious freedom - as the legislation of any sort of "philosophy" only backfires. If they want to (though I doubt if they ever could) legislate some form of censorship on Christians... all the more power to them, for this would triple the number of Christians in ten years.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

I think the USSR is proof that you can 'legislate' away religion. If you think that the Russian Orthodox Church was greatly aided by the Bolshevik revolution then I'd have to ask to see some numbers indicating such.

As far as you're posts relevance to mine. I'm not really seeing it. In the accounts Ii was referencing it was another nation that was trying to deprive the freedom of religion through force of arms. So the idea of legislating away religion is not reallly an item in the Book of Mormon, though the legislating away of correct guiding principles in a government is something that is noted and one of the warnings of the book. The idea that a people can, through their own wickedness and lack of vigilance, morph their just government into it's anti-thesis.

Ever read "The Law" by Frederic Bastiat?

servent101

Mustard Seed

No but tell me what you find so true about that book... but as for the truth in
I think the USSR is proof that you can 'legislate' away religion. If you think that the Russian Orthodox Church was greatly aided by the Bolshevik revolution then I'd have to ask to see some numbers indicating such.

As far as you're posts relevance to mine. I'm not really seeing it. In the accounts Ii was referencing it was another nation that was trying to deprive the freedom of religion through force of arms. So the idea of legislating away religion is not reallly an item in the Book of Mormon, though the legislating away of correct guiding principles in a government is something that is noted and one of the warnings of the book. The idea that a people can, through their own wickedness and lack of vigilance, morph their just government into it's anti-thesis.
if the Christians were still flourishing - well if anyone knew about it they would be dead - so all in all what proof do you have either?

Granted my case is weak... and I am not saying I am sure on that matter - but I do agree that we need to tarry late into the night... to keep the liverties that we have, and to find a way to live at peace with our neighbours... reminds me of a verse - That if a man's ways are right with the Lord, then even his enimies will live at peace with him.

Anyways - there is that necessity to follow peace, at all costs - even to run, when we see the tide turning - as the wicked devower themselves - and when we have to leave, there is no "salt" there for them to be preserved. All a Christian has to do is leave, and the persuing chaos his or her enimies will devower them one and all - but to stay, at risk of life and limb in chaos - bringing the Good News - that is our calling - but God also lets us know when He has had enough too. God does not rejoice when the wicked perrish... but when the people in general start to kill saints, well that just does not sit right with me either for some reason... I don't think it is our calling anymore.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

servent101

Mustard Seed

No but tell me what you find so true about that book... but as for the truth in

As far as you're posts relevance to mine. I'm not really seeing it. In the accounts Ii was referencing it was another nation that was trying to deprive the freedom of religion through force of arms. So the idea of legislating away religion is not really an item in the Book of Mormon, though the legislating away of correct guiding principles in a government is something that is noted and one of the warnings of the book. The idea that a people can, through their own wickedness and lack of vigilance, morph their just government into it's anti-thesis.
if the Christians were still flourishing - well if anyone knew about it they would be dead - so all in all what proof do you have either?

Granted my case is weak... and I am not saying I am sure on that matter - but I do agree that we need to tarry late into the night... to keep the liberties that we have, and to find a way to live at peace with our neighbors... reminds me of a verse - That if a man's ways are right with the Lord, then even his enemies will live at peace with him.

Anyways - there is that necessity to follow peace, at all costs - even to run, when we see the tide turning - as the wicked always turn onto themselves - and when we have to leave, there is no "salt" there for them to be preserved. All a Christian has to do is leave, and the perusing chaos in his or her enemies lives will destroy them one and all - but to stay, at risk of life and limb in chaos - bringing the Good News - that is our calling - but God also lets us know when He has had enough too. God does not rejoice when the wicked perish... but when the people in general start to kill saints, ... I don't think it is our calling anymore.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Balder

Angelfightfire,

I noticed you started another thread where you talked about non-Christians who question Moses' consistency WRT killing being lying hypocrites. I hope you don't mean that all non-Christians who have a problem with some of the things Moses and his contemporaries did are hypocrites and liars. It's easy to make sweeping statements about groups of people, or about certain moral positions, but I hope you recognize that such generalizations are often as intellectually dishonest (and distorting) as the supposed tactics you are criticizing.

I thought about responding to you on that other post, but I remembered this one here -- where a number of questions and issues are still in the air. Not that you have to respond, but ... well, this is a prod in that direction!

Peace,
B.

P.S. MustardSeed, doesn't the Book of Nephi record Jesus' destruction of the inhabitants of many cities?

Last edited:

Mustard Seed

servent101 said:
Mustard Seed
Granted my case is weak... and I am not saying I am sure on that matter - but I do agree that we need to tarry late into the night... to keep the liverties that we have, and to find a way to live at peace with our neighbours... reminds me of a verse - That if a man's ways are right with the Lord, then even his enimies will live at peace with him.

That is exactly what the Book of Mormon teaches. After the initial establishment of the primary Book of Mormon civilization there is a split and one group is called the Nephites and the other group the Lamanites. Initialy one is righteous and the other is not but that is far from static. The entire account shows that when one group is righteous they are protected by God, it doesn't matter which group it is, so long as they are keeping God's commandments. God then uses, at times, the other group as a scourge to "stir" the other group up to "rememberance". You are correct. If we live righteously then we have nothing to fear from our enemies. Granted being righteous, as I understand it, means being eternaly vigilant to threats, regardless their source, to our peace, rights and the safety of our families. Righteous men are to provide for the "sacred support" of their families. This entails all from providing physical and spiritual sustenence to spiritual and physical defense, when needed.

Anyways - there is that necessity to follow peace, at all costs - even to run, when we see the tide turning - as the wicked devower themselves - and when we have to leave, there is no "salt" there for them to be preserved. All a Christian has to do is leave, and the persuing chaos his or her enimies will devower them one and all - but to stay, at risk of life and limb in chaos - bringing the Good News - that is our calling - but God also lets us know when He has had enough too. God does not rejoice when the wicked perrish... but when the people in general start to kill saints, well that just does not sit right with me either for some reason... I don't think it is our calling anymore.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

There's actualy a point in the Book of Mormon where God comands one of the last prophets to stop preaching and exorting precisley because they have reached the threshold you ellude to. The people, we are told, had put off their day of repentance untill it was "everlastingly" too late to turn around. Not because of any thing God had done but because their own moral momentum, if you will, had them persecuting, throwing out of the land, or killing the saints. They were purging the land of the very salt that was postponing their destruction. So, as you pointed out, when the salt leaves, the remnant is worthless and ready to be spewed out of their mortal frames by the land itself.

I know that that book was written for our day. God knew that we were going to face situations that would have us destroying ourselves so he prepared this book to help us, if we will, learn from the civilizations of the past. And not through the eyes of some pontificating historian but from the view of an omniscient God that actually knows what it is we need to change to avoid such again.

Mustard Seed

Balder said:
Angelfightfire,
P.S. MustardSeed, doesn't the Book of Nephi record Jesus' destruction of the inhabitants of many cities?

Yes. But go back and read it. Those that were killed were killed precisly because they themselves had stoned and/or killed the prophets of God that came to them.

9 And behold, that great city Jacobugath, which was inhabited by the people of king Jacob, have I caused to be burned with fire because of their sins and their wickedness, which was above all the wickedness of the whole earth, because of their secret murders and combinations; for it was they that did destroy the peace of my people and the government of the land; therefore I did cause them to be burned, to destroy them from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints should not come up unto me any more against them.

3 Nephi 9: 9

25 And in another place they were heard to cry and mourn, saying: O that we had repented before this great and terrible day, and had not killed and stoned the prophets, and cast them out; then would our mothers and our fair daughters, and our children have been spared, and not have been buried up in that great city Moronihah. And thus were the howlings of the people great and terrible.

--3 Ne. 8: 25

These people knew what they had both done and allowed to occur. My understanding is that those primarily responsible, and some others, were those who were destroyed during the destructions detailed in 3 Nephi. The less wicked part were largely those that were spared. So if you have the less wicked part realizing why they were being punished (via cities being droped into the sea and mountains covering others and fires and whirl winds and all manner of divinely permited acts of destruction) then the part that was destroyed was clearly aware of the killing, etc. they had done to deserve the punishment they received.

If you call that leading campaigns of slaughter then, I will conceed in one sense, you are correct. But I do not think simply saying that Jesus led campaigns of slaughter without the context is not just or proper. The truth is that the civilization KNEW they had it coming and THEY were the ones that initiated a campaign of slaughter. Jesus/Jehovah was simply executing justice upon those who started the blood letting in their society and causing them to stop such taking of life.

So my disagreement is in that even God was leading such carnage simply to counter, recompense, and ultimately stop the capacity, of those who previously decided themselves that they wanted in on the game of spilling the blood of the innocent.

Mustard Seed

servent101 said:
Mustard Seed

No but tell me what you find so true about that book... but as for the truth in if the Christians were still flourishing - well if anyone knew about it they would be dead - so all in all what proof do you have either?

Just dawned on me that I failed to answer your first question.

The book is about the purpose of law and government. It was written by a french man who lived around the time of the French Revolution(s) (I would say the bloody one, but they all were). His book addresses the fact that governments tend to go from being instruments of protecting the life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of hapiness, into instrumets used to deprive it's citizens of those very things. It is largely set up to counter socialism by showing that it inherently turns government against it's primary purpose, but the idea holds true for any time the government is corrupted. It goes from protector to primary offender.

It's really an astounding book, and while I don't agree with all the conclusions Mr. Bastiat comes too, he really enunciates key elements of government and shows how society simply revolves in cycles where one class trumps another followed by another trumping from another class, that goes on so long as the society doesn't learn the lesson that government is not there to procure things of others for the benefit of others, but to protect what each has, then that society is doomed to class warfare untill everyone has given each other sufficient punishment to get them all humble enough to work together to protect everyone's rights to life, liberty, property, and ther pursuit of happiness.

It's really quite short and easy to find on the internet. You can read it in an evening or two. I recomend it.

OMEGA

Servant 101 said,

I respect the Buddha,
--------------------------------------
The Buddha is an IDOL = Idolotry .

Mustard Seed

OMEGA said:
Servant 101 said,

I respect the Buddha,
--------------------------------------
The Buddha is an IDOL = Idolotry .

Correction.

The Buddha was made into an Idol. Buddha himself would not, in any stretch of the imagination, agree with what's been done with his name. Go and study the actual begining of Buddism Omega. If you knew what the man actually said then maybe, just maybe, you would respect him like Servant does. One can respect an innovator without worshiping them or ascribing to the same system held by those who have a religion named after that person.

Your excitement to quickly jump on the "That's idolatry!!! And THAT! AND THAT!" doesn't lend you credibility and doesn't reflect well on Christianity.

7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

--Prov. 4: 7

Agape4Robin

Mustard Seed said:
Your excitement to quickly jump on the "That's idolatry!!! And THAT! AND THAT!" doesn't lend you credibility and doesn't reflect well on Christianity.
:rotfl:

Mormonism reflects christianity?:rolleyes:

Agape4Robin

Mustard Seed said:
Ahhh... how cute. The cult label.

Flash back to a classic--

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11283&highlight=cult

Yes. I did always like that link I put at the start of that thread.
  1. Mormonism maintains that the true gospel message was lost from the earth shortly after the apostles died.<LI type=i>The Mormon Apostle Orson Prat said, "Jesus...established his kingdom on earth...the kingdoms of this world made war against the kingdom of God, established eighteen centuries ago, and they prevailed against it, and the kingdom ceased to exist." (Journal of Discourses. Vol. 13, page 125). <LI type=i>But Jesus said, "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18, KJV).
  2. As you can see, Mormonism contradicts what Jesus said. That is why they must say that the Bible is not trustworthy. That is, it isn't trustworthy wherever it disagrees with Mormonism.
  1. <LI type=A>Since Mormonism claims to be the restoration of the gospel, it also claims to have the authority to perform priestly duties and, therefore, properly represent God here on earth. <LI type=A>All offices of the Mormon church grow out of the priesthoods.
    1. <LI type=i>Melchizedek - This is the greater priesthood. It consists of several offices:
      1. <LI type=a>Elder, seventy, high priest, patriarch or evangelist, and apostle.
      2. Aaronic - a part of the greater Melchizedek priesthood.
    2. Aaronic priesthood - This is the lesser priesthood
      1. <LI type=a>Is synonymous with the Levitical Priesthood (D.&C. 107:1,6,10)
      2. Performs the administration of the ordinances (D.&C. 107:13-14)
      3. Deacon, teacher, then priest.
  2. Quite simply, the Bible contradicts what Mormons believe concerning the priesthood.
    1. Jesus is the only high priest after the order of Melchizedek (Heb. 3:1; 5:6,10; 6:20; 7:11,15,17,21,24,26; 8:1; 9:11).
      1. "Where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek" (Hebrews 6:20).
      2. "And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life" (Heb. 7:15-16).
      The Melchizedek Priesthood is unchangeable and untransferable
      1. "but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood" (Heb. 7:24).
      Want more?