TEXAS flooding

bybee

Another bridge collapses.
This is happening all over TEXAS where creeks and rivers are.
Not to mention that there are several places where sections of roads and highways (not bridges) are breaking loose and hydroplaning several feet off course.
This bridge is just 10 miles from me and collapsed today. The folks in the vehicle were injured, but not seriously.

Click image for larger view.
View attachment 19896

My son is in San Antonio. He loves the green lawns!

john w

Hall of Fame
I was able to go to the car wash, w/o waiting in line....Had a few brewski's, washed my car....It was groovy....

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Look for more extremes. One problem is that the prevailing winds in the spring come into Texas off the Gulf of Mexico. And warmer water means more moisture in the air, which means more rain.

Later, when the prevailing winds shift west, over Northern Mexico, things dry out. But that might be delayed if the Gulf is very warm. And the vast majority of warming so far, has been absorbed by the world's oceans. (water has a huge specific heat, so will always take more thermal energy in than land will)

This could actually be a good thing for North Texas. The panhandle, and West Texas, not so much.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Look for more extremes.
For instance?

One problem is that the prevailing winds in the spring come into Texas off the Gulf of Mexico. And warmer water means more moisture in the air, which means more rain.

Later, when the prevailing winds shift west, over Northern Mexico, things dry out. But that might be delayed if the Gulf is very warm. And the vast majority of warming so far, has been absorbed by the world's oceans. (water has a huge specific heat, so will always take more thermal energy in than land will)

This could actually be a good thing for North Texas. The panhandle, and West Texas, not so much.
I'm not getting why it might be good for north TEXAS.
Get out the Big Chief Tablet and crayons for me.
Thanks.

fzappa13

For instance?

Get out the Big Chief Tablet and crayons for me.
Thanks.

Every now and then Barbie suffers from the reoccurring notion he knows something about Texas ... just make the mistake of asking him. Just don't ask him for his credentials.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Look for more extremes.

For instance?

Tougher droughts. More violent storms (not more storms, just bigger ones). Drier in West Texas and the Panhandle. Maybe wetter in East and North Texas. Count on your property insurance rates going up on the Gulf Coast.

Stuff like that.

Barbarian observes:
One problem is that the prevailing winds in the spring come into Texas off the Gulf of Mexico. And warmer water means more moisture in the air, which means more rain.

By the end of July, the prevailing winds have moved westward so that it becomes very dry in North Texas. If the rising temps in the Gulf of Mexico delays that shift, North Texas will be wetter in late summer. A good thing, trust me.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barbarian observes:
Look for more extremes.

Tougher droughts. More violent storms (not more storms, just bigger ones). Drier in West Texas and the Panhandle. Maybe wetter in East and North Texas. Count on your property insurance rates going up on the Gulf Coast.

Stuff like that.

Barbarian observes:

By the end of July, the prevailing winds have moved westward so that it becomes very dry in North Texas. If the rising temps in the Gulf of Mexico delays that shift, North Texas will be wetter in late summer. A good thing, trust me.
Got it. Thanks.