Ted Cruz’s big problem: There isn’t really an ‘evangelical vote’ right now

GFR7

The Washington Post believes there is no unified evangelical voting bloc for Cruz to rally round him. :think:

Thoughts?

Spoiler
imrs.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...re-isnt-really-an-evangelical-vote-right-now/

PureX

I don't think you understand why all these candidates are in the running. It's not because any of them expect to win, yet. It's because they know the corporate political sponsors will fund any candidate that they believe is viable.

So long as the "pack" has no clear front-runner (Trump is not a viable candidate, he's in this for other reasons), then the oligarchs will continue to contribute to all their campaigns. Later, as a few candidates begin to pull ahead, the fall-behinds will stop getting the money, and will drop out. It's all about the money. The oligarchs will give money to every viable candidate, so that no matter who wins, they know they have their 'hooks in them'. They would prefer a non-religious-nut republican, but they'll back anyone they think might win, because they want to own the winner, whoever it is.

That's why the same corporations that are backing republican candidates are also backing Hillary, big time. Because so far, they think she's the most obvious presidential candidate. If the poll numbers change, and they will, they will begin throwing their money behind whomever they think is the more viable candidate. But they will give money to every candidate, until then, just in case.

Running for high office, if you have some name recognition, can net you a lot of cash even if you have no intention or expectation of actually winning that office. Because all the money you get for your 'campaign', you get to keep when you drop out. And the oligarchs will give money to anyone they consider a contender (and name-recognition makes almost anyone a contender, especially early on). So that's what all these republicans are dong at the moment: collecting those corporate campaign contributions. Which they will keep for themselves, later, when they drop out.

Trump is running for different reasons. He's not after the oligarch's campaign contributions, he's out to increase his celebrity status. Every day he can keep his face in the news, he's becoming a bigger celebrity. And he knows he can cash that in, later, in any number of ways, because the media LOVES celebrity. Celebrity attracts the attention of the masses, and that sells advertising, which is after all, what the media business is all about: selling advertising.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Yes; Huckabee and Santorum, and even Carson and Trump, as the piece states - so it's a bit split right now.

split 15 ways
so
they now have two choices

trump or jeb

take your time
I know I am going to fast for you

PureX

When Michael Jordan was at the height of his celebrity, we was making over 300 million dollars a year! That's a LOT of money. And it wasn't coming from the Chicago Bulls Organization, it was mostly coming from advertising and product endorsements.

Donald Trump is becoming a super-celebrity. And he'll be able to 'cash in' on that in much the same way as any other big celebrity does. TV shows, advertisements, and endorsement deals could make him far more money than his less than stellar real estate business. And that's what he's really doing pretending that he's a presidential candidate. It's also why the media spends so much time following him around: Trump knows how to attract attention, and that sells advertising.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
When Michael Jordan was at the height of his celebrity, we was making over 300 million dollars a year! That's a LOT of money. And it wasn't coming from the Chicago Bulls Organization, it was mostly coming from advertising and product endorsements.

Donald Trump is becoming a super-celebrity. And he'll be able to 'cash in' on that in much the same way as any other big celebrity does. TV shows, advertisements, and endorsement deals could make him far more money than is less than stellar real estate business. And that's what he's really doing pretending that he's a presidential candidate. It's also why the media spends so much time following him around: Trump knows how to attract attention, and that sells advertising.

you just got to love him
you know you can beat him
some of us also know that
but
let's keep it a secret

GFR7

I don't think you understand why all these candidates are in the running. It's not because any of them expect to win, yet. It's because they know the corporate political sponsors will fund any candidate that they believe is viable.

So long as the "pack" has no clear front-runner (Trump is not a viable candidate, he's in this for other reasons), then the oligarchs will continue to contribute to all their campaigns. Later, as a few candidates begin to pull ahead, the fall-behinds will stop getting the money, and will drop out. It's all about the money. The oligarchs will give money to every viable candidate, so that no matter who wins, they know they have their 'hooks in them'. They would prefer a non-religious-nut republican, but they'll back anyone they think might win, because they want to own the winner, whoever it is.

That's why the same corporations that are backing republican candidates are also backing Hillary, big time. Because so far, they think she's the most obvious presidential candidate. If the poll numbers change, and they will, they will begin throwing their money behind whomever they think is the more viable candidate. But they will give money to every candidate, until then, just in case.

Running for high office, if you have some name recognition, can net you a lot of cash even if you have no intention or expectation of actually winning that office. Because all the money you get for your 'campaign', you get to keep when you drop out. And the oligarchs will give money to anyone they consider a contender (and name-recognition makes almost anyone a contender, especially early on). So that's what all these republicans are dong at the moment: collecting those corporate campaign contributions. Which they will keep for themselves, later, when they drop out.

Trump is running for different reasons. He's not after the oligarch's campaign contributions, he's out to increase his celebrity status. Every day he can keep his face in the news, he's becoming a bigger celebrity. And he knows he can cash that in, later, in any number of ways, because the media LOVES celebrity. Celebrity attracts the attention of the masses, and that sells advertising, which is after all, what the media business is all about: selling advertising.
What a glitzy nothingness US politics is.

PureX

What a glitzy nothingness US politics is.
We are a nation run by greed. Every decision our politicians make these days, they make based on greed: their own, and the greed of the corporate overlords that pay them to do their bidding.

Stanford University recently completed an in-depth study of the relationship between public opinion, and political policy decisions, and found that there is literally no statistical correlation, anymore, between what the public wants, or doesn't want, and the enactment of legislation and policy: what the politicians are actually doing. They are not listening to "we the people" AT ALL. They are simply taking the legalized bribe money of the corporate lobbyists, and doing whatever those lobbyists tell them to do. And they are paying no attention whatever to what we want, or what's best for the American people.

And yet an incumbent politician is now more likely to get re-elected than at any time in the history of the nation.

America has completely lost it's mind.

GFR7

based on what?
Well, he is not charismatic. He has none of the charm that W had. He hearkens back to the '90s almost as much as Hilary does. The American Spectator believes Jeb has zero chance of being GOP nominated at all. I tend to agree.

Black Lives Matter , gays, and a slew of angry mobs will tip things toward Democrat (not that that party is not also on the brink of decay, and perishing of senility)
-----probably Bernie Sanders, or Biden, and not Hilary, from what I'm reading. Just as back in late 2007 everyone thought it would be Hilary vs Guliani, and it wound up being Obama vs McCAin, I do not think Hilary or Jeb will be the nominees.

We are on the brink of massive global economic and military troubles and this election is going to be bad. My pessimism, but I'm often correct.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't think the American people are really excited about the idea of another Bush. Let's just say it's theoretically possible that last one isn't exactly remembered as being the greatest president of all time...

I don't care what you think
so
do you have any reason to believe someone besides jeb can beat hillary?

Quetzal

I don't care what you think
so
do you have any reason to believe someone besides jeb can beat hillary?
I don't think anyone will be able to beat the democrats. it's simply because the voting population is becoming more progressive and liberal on social issues. So long as the GOP holds strong to those dated traditions, I believe they will continue to fade.

HisServant

I don't think anyone will be able to beat the democrats. it's simply because the voting population is becoming more progressive and liberal on social issues. So long as the GOP holds strong to those dated traditions, I believe they will continue to fade.

The media seems to portray it that way... reality is different though.