Subway (sandwich shops) against homeschoolers!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The language can be attributed to lawyers. They aren't admitting to discriminatory practice so as to avoid potential shabby lawyer suits...but by stating their intent to end the restriction in future contests and apologizing for the perception among those affected they've really done what they can within the context of responsible corporate parameters.

Any competent attorney would have insisted on this sort of draft. I'd call it a win and an example of how raising one's voice in the market place is often a worth while idea.

C

cattyfan

Subway has made an apology to homeschoolers...

Regarding your concerns about the Subway contest that excludes home schools from contest eligibility, Scholastic and Subway apologize to all individuals who have taken offense at this. Our intention was never to make independent schooled children feel discriminated against or excluded from this specific promotion.

Throughout the course of the year Scholastic runs a number of contests and sweepstakes that are open to all teachers and students. The eligibility of this contest in particular was solely put in place to award a large group of children with the grand prize of $5,000 worth of athletic equipment. We do however understand how home- schooled children could benefit from this type of prizing and will make sure eligibility is open to everyone in future promotions.

We appreciate your feedback and will make sure a similar situation does not happen in the future.

Prizing? Prizing??? That is NOT A WORD!!!! At least not the way they are using it:

prized, priz·ing, priz·es
1. To value highly; esteem or treasure. See Synonyms at appreciate.
2. To estimate the worth of; evaluate.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
I think, had they worded the original contest annoucement differently, they wouldn't have run into so much opposition. Subway certainly has the right to run their contest any way they see fit, but by saying, "Contest is open only to legal US residents, over the age of 18 with children in either elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. Home schools not eligible" they were bound to get people's dander up.

Had they just added the word "enrolled" and left off the "Home schools not eligible" I don't think it would have caused such a knee-jerk reaction.

Leftovermuffin

I am probably going to get stoned here. But to me it dosnt make sense to give 5 grand worth of athletic equipment to home schoolers. Even if it is a coop most of the time they only meet once or twice a week as opposed to public school meeting every day;

Door

I am probably going to get stoned here. But to me it dosnt make sense to give 5 grand worth of athletic equipment to home schoolers. Even if it is a coop most of the time they only meet once or twice a week as opposed to public school meeting every day;

5000.00 wouldn't go very far in my homeschool to meet our athletic needs. I can't even add a tennis court for that amount.