Study: Insecure, narcissistic people more likely to post on Facebook

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Study: Insecure, narcissistic people more likely to post on Facebook]
drool.gif
"People suffering from low self-esteem are more likely to post their relationship status on Facebook, a new study has found.

A report from Brunel University, published Friday, found that the popular Facebook “relationship status” feature was used by individuals with low self-esteem to generate attention to distract from their own feelings.

“People with low self-esteem are more likely to see the advantage of self-disclosing on Facebook rather than in person,” the report said.

However, rather than providing a boost of self-confidence, the romantic status posts “tend to be perceived as less likeable,” it added.

Data collected from a sample of 555 Facebook users took into account the frequency with which users engaged with the social network, whether or not they were involved in a relationship and the amount of time they spent checking Facebook.

“Sixty-five percent of participants were currently involved in a romantic relationship, and 34 percent had at least one child,” the report said.

A total of 57 percent checked Facebook on a daily basis, and spent an average of 108 minutes a day actively using it, it added.

The report also found that “narcissists” were likely to post about their achievements, rather than relationships, “indicating that narcissists’ boasting may be reinforced by the attention they crave.”

They were also more likely to post about health and fitness regimes “suggesting that they use Facebook to broadcast the effort they put into their physical appearance,” the report said..." Full text: Insecure, narcissistic people more likely to post on Facebook – report 2 Tim. 3:2, Phil. 2:21

OCTOBER23

Sixty-five percent of participants were currently involved in a romantic relationship, and 34 percent had at least one child,”

LOW SELF IMAGE

THESE ARE MOSTLY FEMALE CONCERNS

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOURSELF ???????

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
..."People suffering from low self-esteem are more likely to post their relationship status on Facebook, a new study has found. A report from Brunel University, published Friday, found that the popular Facebook “relationship status” feature was used by individuals with low self-esteem to generate attention to distract from their own feelings.
And also by married people who don't want to hear, "Why didn't you mention you're married?"

:)

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Sixty-five percent of participants were currently involved in a romantic relationship, and 34 percent had at least one child,”

LOW SELF IMAGE

THESE ARE MOSTLY FEMALE CONCERNS

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOURSELF ?
Me? :skeptic: I don't post on Facebook.
drool.gif
I post to Twitter and have the two accounts linked.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Ye adulterers and adulteresses!] I wasn't talking about adulterers. Man, you must be a lot of fun at parties. :shocked:

The woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the filthiness of her fornication (Re 17:3–4).

See:

Beauty & the Beast by Adrian Rogers

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
[Study: Insecure, narcissistic people more likely to post on Facebook]
drool.gif
"People suffering from low self-esteem are more likely to post their relationship status on Facebook, a new study has found.

A report from Brunel University, published Friday, found that the popular Facebook “relationship status” feature was used by individuals with low self-esteem to generate attention to distract from their own feelings.

“People with low self-esteem are more likely to see the advantage of self-disclosing on Facebook rather than in person,” the report said.

However, rather than providing a boost of self-confidence, the romantic status posts “tend to be perceived as less likeable,” it added.

Data collected from a sample of 555 Facebook users took into account the frequency with which users engaged with the social network, whether or not they were involved in a relationship and the amount of time they spent checking Facebook.

“Sixty-five percent of participants were currently involved in a romantic relationship, and 34 percent had at least one child,” the report said.

A total of 57 percent checked Facebook on a daily basis, and spent an average of 108 minutes a day actively using it, it added.

The report also found that “narcissists” were likely to post about their achievements, rather than relationships, “indicating that narcissists’ boasting may be reinforced by the attention they crave.”

They were also more likely to post about health and fitness regimes “suggesting that they use Facebook to broadcast the effort they put into their physical appearance,” the report said..." Full text: Insecure, narcissistic people more likely to post on Facebook – report 2 Tim. 3:2, Phil. 2:21

I do post on FaceBook, but very seldom these days. It takes up too much of my time.

And I call it "MyFace."

As for the results of the study, I can easily cop to being narcissistic and insecure some of the time. Perhaps that explains why I post there. But I sort of disagree, since I don't think you can label any human being as "all this" or "all that."

There is a baseline complexity in us that makes labeling us sort of useless.

Lon

Odd. I just use it like most of the rest of my family: To stay somewhat connected without having to write and send form letters. If anything, I'd say 'lazy' people use Facebook. I'm glad I can be lazy when it means I don't have to write form letters any longer. People don't have to write me and ask "how are you?" any more either. They know.

:chuckle: So if that makes me insecure and narcissitic :chuckle: so be it :chuckle:

(I'd suggest a narcissistic perhaps insecure person who doesn't like Facebook for some reason probably conducted and wrote the article. It is a three-fingered accusation, likely - it amounts to bizarre and weird imho)