Stephen Hawking is a Lunatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuySmiley

I would imagine it can take it. However, having Pastor Bob suggest that Hawking's intellect is lacking is, well, pretty funny actually.
It should be easy then to show us why what Bob said is stupid and why what Hawking said is brilliant. You know, discuss the actual topic instead of pointing fingers and saying "you are stupid, he is smart!" I'm paraphrasing the thread so far.

Do you think we should colonize the moon and mars to escape global warming?

Do you think aliens will be mean or nice?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how brilliant do you think Hawkings answers are to these questions? Do you think a 1 grader could come up with the same answers?

OMEGA

It is odd that Hawking, with his condition would not be more inclined

toward Religion and Look to God for Healing and consulation.

But Hawking is a Scientist and thus does not consider God in his

computations.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Hawking is not beyond criticism just because he's in a wheelchair.

Nobody said he was.

Bob wasn't making fun of him because he can't run the high hurdles.

Nobody said he did.

If you are going to praise him for his intellect, then you don't need to treat him like he's delicate. His intellect can take it right?

I suspect if Hawking was made aware of what was being said about him by some obscure Denver minister he couldn't care less.

It should be easy then to show us why what Bob said is stupid and why what Hawking said is brilliant.

Well sometimes, Guy, if you need to ask why someone's dumb and why someone's smart...

In any event, Hawking's life work speaks for itself.

Do you think we should colonize the moon and mars to escape global warming?

I'm not too sure we're ready to go anywhere other than this rock. We've got a few problems to work out before we spread into space...

Do you think aliens will be mean or nice?

If that's what you took from Hawking's remarks it's obvious why you're posting what you are on this thread.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how brilliant do you think Hawkings answers are to these questions?

Your paraphrases say more about you than him. Taken as a whole, Hawking is a genius, and a profoundly gifted human being. That much is, simply put, beyond dispute.

To actually have to explain this to someone makes me think of Lilliputian hostility.

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
Written many best sellers? :think:
Or perhaps you're a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Whether you agree with his theories or not, you have to admit that he's one brilliant human being.

I'd just like to point out that Dick Cheney, Lucille Ball and Tony Blair all got the Medal of Freedom.

And I'm pretty sure that the "Twilight" books have all been best sellers. :think:

Jukia

I'd just like to point out that Dick Cheney, Lucille Ball and Tony Blair all got the Medal of Freedom.

And I'm pretty sure that the "Twilight" books have all been best sellers. :think:

Now that is really funny even if you did not mean it to be.

Breathe

Ah - but has Knight done either? That was my question to him.

In addition to the accomplishments I mentioned, Hawking has a long, long list:
Awards and honors

* 1975 Eddington Medal
* 1976 Hughes Medal of the Royal Society
* 1979 Albert Einstein Medal
* 1981 Franklin Medal
* 1982 Order of the British Empire (Commander)
* 1985 Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society
* 1986 Member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences
* 1988 Wolf Prize in Physics
* 1989 Prince of Asturias Awards in Concord
* 1989 Companion of Honor
* 1999 Julius Edgar Lilienfeld Prize of the American Physical Society
* 2003 Michelson Morley Award of Case Western Reserve University
* 2006 Copley Medal of the Royal Society
* 2008 Fonseca Price of the University of Santiago de Compostela

He has also written many definitive texts in his field:

Technical

* Singularities in Collapsing Stars and Expanding Universes with Dennis William Sciama, 1969 Comments on Astrophysics and Space Physics Vol 1 #1
* The Nature of Space and Time with Roger Penrose, foreword by Michael Atiyah, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1996, ISBN 0-691-05084-8
* The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime with George Ellis, 1973 ISBN 0521099064
* The Large, the Small, and the Human Mind, (with Abner Shimony, Nancy Cartwright, and Roger Penrose), Cambridge University Press, 1997, ISBN 0-521-56330-5 (hardback), ISBN 0-521-65538-2 (paperback), Canto edition: ISBN 0-521-78572-3
* Information Loss in Black Holes, Cambridge University Press, 2005
* God Created the Integers: The Mathematical Breakthroughs That Changed History, Running Press, 2005 ISBN 0762419229

Popular

* A Brief History of Time, (Bantam Press 1988) ISBN 055305340X
* Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays, (Bantam Books 1993) ISBN 0553374117
* The Universe in a Nutshell, (Bantam Press 2001) ISBN 055380202X
* On The Shoulders of Giants. The Great Works of Physics and Astronomy, (Running Press 2002) ISBN 076241698X
* A Briefer History of Time, (Bantam Books 2005) ISBN 0553804367

Children's fiction co-written with his daughter Lucy:

* George's Secret Key to the Universe, (Random House, 2007) ISBN 9780385612708
* George's Cosmic Treasure Hunt, (Simon & Schuster, 2009) ISBN 9781416986713

All in all, an impressive body of work. Has Pastor Bob compiled an equally impressive list?

Quincy

So, anyone here making fun of him care to share their experience from their life work as to why there can't be life out there? Care to disprove panspermia and the Rare Earth hypothesis for us? Can you prove humans are the pinnacle of all creation?

GuySmiley

Awards and honors

* 1975 Eddington Medal
* 1981 Franklin Medal

Technical

* Singularities in Collapsing Stars and Expanding Universes with Dennis William Sciama, 1969 Comments on Astrophysics and Space Physics Vol 1 #1
* The Nature of Space and Time with Roger Penrose, foreword by Michael Atiyah, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1996, ISBN 0-691-05084-8
* The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime with George Ellis, 1973 ISBN 0521099064
* The Large, the Small, and the Human Mind, (with Abner Shimony, Nancy Cartwright, and Roger Penrose), Cambridge University Press, 1997, ISBN 0-521-56330-5 (hardback), ISBN 0-521-65538-2 (paperback), Canto edition: ISBN 0-521-78572-3
* God Created the Integers: The Mathematical Breakthroughs That Changed History, Running Press, 2005 ISBN 0762419229

Popular

* Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays, (Bantam Books 1993) ISBN 0553374117
* On The Shoulders of Giants. The Great Works of Physics and Astronomy, (Running Press 2002) ISBN 076241698X

All in all, an impressive body of work. Has Pastor Bob compiled an equally impressive list?
Many people are alive today because of Bob. Many people are going to/are in heaven and not hell because of Bob. Does that mean anything to you? Do you even know who Bob is or anything about him? Or are you just here to Boo-Yay argue for Hawking?

Breathe

So, anyone here making fun of him care to share their experience from their life work as to why there can't be life out there? Care to disprove panspermia and the Rare Earth hypothesis for us? Can you prove humans are the pinnacle of all creation?

I'd like to know if anyone has read any of his books. I found 'A Brief History of Time' to be quite good - even though I did have to read it in small doses in order to process it without my head exploding. Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe' was slow going for me, too - but I had a real sense of accomplishment when I finished both.

Breathe

Many people are alive today because of Bob. Many people are going to/are in heaven and not hell because of Bob. Does that mean anything to you? Do you even know who Bob is or anything about him? Or are you just here to Boo-Yay argue for Hawking?
Wow - hostile, much?
I do believe you just judged me. ;)

I'm one of those twice-damned Calvinists. Run away fast, before you get corrupted.:D

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:up:

I believe that Hawking has a brilliant mind (regardless of whether he's right or wrong), as well. But preaching the gospel of Christ to a single person who ends up believing it has far greater significance than Hawking's list of accolades.

Breathe

What does this mean?

A weak attempt at humor. Calvinists aren't too popular around here.
I agree that the saving of souls is most important, but I like my preachers to be thinking men - which pretty much disqualifies any fundamentalist pastor from making a favorable impression on me - especially when they try to aggrandize themselves, while denigrating great accomplishments made by people who don't share their point of view.

GuySmiley

Nobody said he was.
Good then.

Nobody said he did.
Good then.

I suspect if Hawking was made aware of what was being said about him by some obscure Denver minister he couldn't care less.
Wow, powerful and relevent. I withdraw my coments.

Well sometimes, Guy, if you need to ask why someone's dumb and why someone's smart...
Well sometimes, Granite, if you need to avoid explaining why someone's dumb and why someone's smart . . .

In any event, Hawking's life work speaks for itself.
We aren't talking about his life work. The subject is him wanting to colonize mars and the moon to escape global warming. That's stupid. I'm not even sure Hawking ever said this, I've just heard it second hand. I don't even care if he siad it, I don't care about Hawking in general. But you guys aren't even discussing it. Its like this thread is about two people's resumes. You could prove it wrong, you'd be a hero of the anti-Bob forces.

I'm not too sure we're ready to go anywhere other than this rock. We've got a few problems to work out before we spread into space...
But its a stupid idea.

If that's what you took from Hawking's remarks it's obvious why you're posting what you are on this thread.
I didn't listen to Hawkings remarks, but its refreshing that you are on the same planet as the subject. You are at least commenting about Hawkings comments, instead of his intelligence.

Your paraphrases say more about you than him. Taken as a whole, Hawking is a genius, and a profoundly gifted human being. That much is, simply put, beyond dispute.
Then talk about how I'm wrong, that would be refreshing. I'm not scared. I've been wrong before. Remember though, this is Bob Enyart we are talking about, so you have a huge mountain of knee-jerk reactions to overcome before discussing the subject.

Jukia

Pastor Bob is a homophobic right wing evangelical minister of the gospel (well at least according to him).
I am here becasue of him. His understanding of science is hysterically funny and I can use the laughs.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Good then.

Well you brought this up. I didn't. I assumed you were actually reading this thread.

Good then.

Ibid...

We aren't talking about his life work.

Referring to the man as a "lunatic" shouldn't be related to an isolated incident, don'tcha think?

The subject is him wanting to colonize mars and the moon to escape global warming.

Is it? Okay then.

That's stupid.

Both stupendous and profound. Eloquent, too...

I'm not even sure Hawking ever said this, I've just heard it second hand.

Ahhhhhhh. Well there's the rub, Guy. Since by your own admission you're not sure what you're talking about maybe you can spend some time on this thread and elsewhere figuring out Hawking and what's actually being discussed here.

I don't even care if he siad it, I don't care about Hawking in general.

Could've fooled me.

But its a stupid idea.

Again: this kind of deep thinking is self-evident. Isn't it.

I didn't listen to Hawkings remarks, but its refreshing that you are on the same planet as the subject. You are at least commenting about Hawkings comments, instead of his intelligence

Remember, though, that we're not the ones who questioned this great man's intelligence. I took issue with those who have and did. Only because it's asinine in the extreme.

Then talk about how I'm wrong, that would be refreshing.

Again, you've said yourself you're relying on hearsay, don't care about Hawking, and aren't sure what he exactly said. So unless you change your approach to the subject talking about how "you're wrong" would a) be the equivalent of a fifth grade sandbox stomp, and b) be as useful as Tesla explaining AC to an Assyrian.

grit

um... I think we can market Moon water to balance the buget for NASA and even pay off the national debt (um... as long as we alien Calvinists don't mind). We should have done that with the dust and Moon rocks, and I must say I'm a little disappointed that capitalistic Americans did'nt make more of an effort that way. I mean, how much would you pay for a certfided vial of Moon dust on e-bay? Water? I don't know, maybe the aliens got Hawking to convince the government otherwise.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A weak attempt at humor. Calvinists aren't too popular around here.
I understood that it was an attempt at humor. I just didn't get the "twice-damned" reference.

I agree that the saving of souls is most important, but I like my preachers to be thinking men
Why the "but"? They aren't independent ideas.

- which pretty much disqualifies any fundamentalist pastor from making a favorable impression on me
Okay. I'd generally agree.

- especially when they try to aggrandize themselves,
How was he trying to do this? Do you know this?

while denigrating great accomplishments made by people who don't share their point of view.
But isn't this what you're doing with his views and accomplishments (irrelevant what you feel about the scope of those accomplishments), since you don't share his view?

I won't go back and forth on this, since that would be pointless. It just seems you have a chip on your shoulder, so I thought I'd point it out in case you want to flick it off.

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER

Awards and honors

* 1975 Eddington Medal
* 1981 Franklin Medal

Technical

Popular

So, to criticize a person, one must first match all the achievements of the person in question?

Have you ever managed a long list of websites and created various forums? No? Well then you can't tell Knight he's wrong.

Seems pretty ridiculous, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.