St. Louis Cardinals - Cardinal Country

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As opposed to ESPN who wanted the Dodgers and Rangers.

MLB was counting the $$$$$ when the NL had New York, LA, and Chicago as the three remaining teams Wednesday morning.

No matter who wins tonight, the NL will have two of the three largest TV markets for the NLCS

Toronto vs. KC will be the opposite for $$$$$

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Chicago has a baseball curse involving a goat. They also had a terrible fire in the 1800s involving a cow. The Great Chicago Fire. What animal will curse the Cubs this time ?

Origin

1868 map of Chicago, highlighting the area destroyed by the fire (location of O'Leary's barn indicated by red dot).
The fire started at about 9:00 p.m. on October 8, in or around a small barn belonging to the O'Leary family that bordered the alley behind 137 DeKoven Street.[2] The shed next to the barn was the first building to be consumed by the fire, but city officials never determined the exact cause of the blaze.[3] There has, however, been much speculation over the years. The most popular tale blames Mrs. O'Leary's cow; others state that a group of men were gambling inside the barn and knocked over a lantern. Still other speculation suggests that the blaze was related to other fires in the Midwest that day.

The fire's spread was aided by the city's use of wood as the predominant building material in a style called balloon frame, a drought before the fire, and strong southwest winds that carried flying embers toward the heart of the city. More than two thirds of the structures in Chicago at the time of the fire were made entirely of wood. Most houses and buildings were topped with highly flammable tar or shingle roofs. All the city's sidewalks and many roads were made of wood.[4] Compounding this problem, Chicago had only received an inch of rain from July 4 to October 9 causing severe drought conditions.[5]

In 1871, the Chicago Fire Department had 185 firefighters with just 17 horse-drawn steam engines to protect the entire city.[6] The initial response by the fire department was quick, but due to an error by the watchman, Matthias Schaffer, the firefighters were sent to the wrong place, allowing the fire to grow unchecked.[6] An alarm sent from the area near the fire also failed to register at the courthouse where the fire watchmen were. Also, the firefighters were tired from having fought numerous small fires and one large fire in the week before.[7] These factors combined to turn a small barn fire into a conflagration.

View attachment 20530

View attachment 20531

View attachment 20532

Mocking You

I see Marco Estrada is starting tonight for the Blue Jays. Tune in and watch his illegal pitch delivery with no men on base. He starts from the windup position, but then, without removing his pivot foot from the rubber, transitions to the set position. He then makes his pitch. This is an illegal delivery and should be called a ball, but the umps don't call it. If he were to do it with men on base it would be a balk.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I see Marco Estrada is starting tonight for the Blue Jays. Tune in and watch his illegal pitch delivery with no men on base. He starts from the windup position, but then, without removing his pivot foot from the rubber, transitions to the set position. He then makes his pitch. This is an illegal delivery and should be called a ball, but the umps don't call it. If he were to do it with men on base it would be a balk.

I'll look for that on the replays or in the next game, they already took him out. The Royals just tacked on 2 more to make it a 5-0 lead.

Mocking You

I'll look for that on the replays or in the next game, they already took him out. The Royals just tacked on 2 more to make it a 5-0 lead.
I recorded a couple of pitches by Estrada showing his move. If I can figure out how to get it off my DVR and onto my computer or phone I'll post the video.