St. Louis Cardinals - Cardinal Country

The Berean

Can someone explain to me how Cards vs Cubs is considered a "rivalry"? The Cardinals have won 11 World Series titles, 19 National League Pennants and have been in the post season 27 times. The Cubs last won a World Series title 107 years ago.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Can someone explain to me how Cards vs Cubs is considered a "rivalry"? The Cardinals have won 11 World Series titles, 19 National League Pennants and have been in the post season 27 times. The Cubs last won a World Series title 107 years ago.

it IS weird in the sense of competition. but even if the Cubs have a losing team they play the Cardinals tough. proximity also, it's only about 8 hours away, maybe less. two old franchises and the Cubs have had good teams over the years, just Bad Luck - fierce Hockey rivalrly also, but not Football. basically, location, division/conference and long history - 10 K's for Lackey today -

View attachment 19688

The Berean

it IS weird in the sense of competition. but even if the Cubs have a losing team they play the Cardinals tough. proximity also, it's only about 8 hours away, maybe less. two old franchises and the Cubs have had good teams over the years, just Bad Luck - fierce Hockey rivalrly also, but not Football. basically, location, division/conference and long history - 10 K's for Lackey today -

View attachment 19688

If you mean like 70 years ago then, yes, this is true. :p The Cubs last reached the World Series in 1945. Then they went 39 years until their next postseason appearance in 1984. From 1984-2008 the Cubs reached the postseason six times, losing six of seven post season series. They had a 9-22 record in these seven postseason series. The Cubs actually beat the Braves in the 2003 NLDS, 3-2. This was the Cubs first postseason series WIN in 95 years.

quip

BANNED
Banned

View attachment 19688

5 hours away...and if the Cubs didn't sux the rivalry would be more intense. As it stands...............

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
5 hours away...and if the Cubs didn't sux the rivalry would be more intense. As it stands...............

my first instinct was 5 hrs but i thought that sounded too short. i have never been to Chicago. i know dozens of folks there through work and i have driven to peoria from st. louis in under 3 hours over 50 times. bloomington, pekin, decatur, springfield. East st.louis is my favorite. i really should go to Chicago and Wrigley -

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
My Pirates executed a 4-3-4 Triple Play against your Redbirds last night.

It was the first 4-3-4 Triple Play ever recorded in the history of MLB.

i heard it, but i wasn't watching. it's pretty amazing when there is a FIRST EVER in the history of MLB. i have to catch the replay this morning. i though we had that game, and the Bucs battled back - :cheers:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Yogi Berra - 90 years old today, born on the Hill in St. Louis MO 63110 - i think he has the most WS rings ever. 10 as a Yankee player and 3 as a manager (Yankee ?) 13 rings - wow - and some of his quotes are hilarious, so - "if you come to a fork in the road . . . take it" - Yogi - :patrol:

Mocking You

My Pirates executed a 4-3-4 Triple Play against your Redbirds last night.

It was the first 4-3-4 Triple Play ever recorded in the history of MLB.

Not according to this site:

http://tripleplays.sabr.org/tp_combo.htm

That is the official site of SABR, the Society for American Baseball Research, probably the most trusted baseball statisticians in the world. Granted, the previous two 4-3-4 triple plays occurred on May 13, 1876 and July 14, 1877, but it was the major leagues.

http://tripleplays.sabr.org/tp_1870.htm

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

StanJ

I used to be a Cardinal fan but not anymore. My team is the Blue Jays and in the NL it's The Nationals, who used to be the Expos. I have very fond memories of attending Expos games in the Big O years...decades ago.
My other favs are Seattle, San Diego and Kansas City. I'm kind partial to the Giants as well.