Spurgeonics

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I have often wondered if I might share a little Spurgeon on TOL, mebbe not too much at a go but some gleanings as it were and see if they might not be a blessing to others as they have been for me.

I am grounded theologically by Spurgeon, apart from scripture I have feasted on him since very early days of being saved.

This is meat that savours.

From a sermon preached at the Metropolitan Tabernacle.

Jordan is a very narrow stream, it made a sort of boundary for Canaan, but it hardly sufficed to divide it from the rest of the world especially since a part of the possessions of Israel was on the eastern side of it.

Those who had seen the Red Sea divided and all Israel marching through it's depths must have thought it a small thing for the Jordan to be dried up and for the people of God to pass through it to Canaan.

The greatest barrier between believers and heaven has been safely passed. In the day that we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ we passed through our Red Sea, and the Egyptians [our sins] were drowned. Great was the marvel of God's mercy! To enter fully into our eternal inheritance we only have to cross the narrow stream of death and scarcely that for the kingdom of heaven lies on this side of the river as well as on the other side.

I begin by reminding you of this because we are very apt to imagine that we must endure a kind of purgatory while we are on earth and then, if we are believers, we may break loose into heaven after we have shuffled off this mortal coil. But it is not so.

Heaven must first be in us before we can be in heaven and while we are yet in the wilderness we may spy out the land and we may eat of the clusters of Eshcol.

There is no such gulf between earth and heaven as gloomy folks suppose.

We should not dream of an abyss but of a ladder whose foot is on the ground but whose top is in glory. There would not be one hundredth part so much difference between earth and heaven if we did not live so far below our priviledges.

We live on the ground when we might soar on the wings of eagles, we are all too conscious of this human body. Oh that we were oftener where Paul was when he said !whether in the body or out of the body I cannot tell...God knoweth. If we are not caught up to Paradise yet may our daily life be as the garden of the Lord.

Last edited:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Listen awhile ye children of God, for I speak to you and not to unbelievers. To unbelievers what can I say? they know nothing of spiritual things and will not believe them though a man should show them unto them. They are spiritually blind and dead, may the Lord soon quicken them and enlighten them. But to you that are begotten again unto a living hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead I speak with joy.

Think of what you are by grace and remember what you will be in glory is already outlined and foreshadowed in your life in Christ.
Being born again from above you are the same men that will be in heaven. You have within you the divine life-the same life which is to enjoy eternal immortality.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life it is your possession now. As the quickened ones of the Holy Spirit the life which is to last on for ever has begun in you.

Nanja

“I have my own opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel if we do not preach justification by faith without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing unchangeable eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross.

C.H. Spurgeon
- See more at: http://spurgeononline.com/calvinism/#sthash.x29bcFom.dpuf

~~~~~

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Beloved you are now "elect according to the foreknowledge of God" and you are "called to His purpose" Already you are as much forgiven as you will be when you stand without fault before the throne of God. The Lord Jesus has washed you whiter than snow and none can lay any fault to your charge.

You are as completely justified by the righteousness of Christ as you ever can be, you are covered with His righteousness and heaven itself cannot provide a robe more spotless "Beloved we now we are the sons of God...He has made us accepted in the Beloved"

Today we have the spirit of adoption and enjoy access to the throne of heavenly grace, yea and today we are raised by faith to sit in the heavenlies with Christ Jesus our Lord.

We are now united to Christ, now indwelt by the Holy Ghost. Are these not great things? heavenly things? The Lord has brought us out of darkness into His marvellous light. Although we may, from one point of view, lament the dimness of the day yet as compared to our former darkness the light is marvellous and best of all it is the same light which I to brighten from dawn to mid-day.

What is grace but the morning twilight of glory

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
@ Nanja and AMR hopefully my gleanings will whet somebody's appetite. :)

@ PJ C.H.Spurgeon would be the first to agree with you. :)

@ False Prophet. This thread I hope will be along the same lines as Mr Psalmist's praise the Lord thread.

Yes there is endless material. There were so many miracles in connection with Spurgeon's ministry, time would fail, but not the least of them is how his sermons came to be compiled and none of his words were allowed to fall to the ground. People STILL get saved today reading Spurgeon. :)

OCTOBER23

Spurgeon said,

First, that man has a will.
Secondly, that he is entirely free.
Thirdly, that men must make themselves willing to come to Christ,
otherwise they will not be saved.
=============================

John 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me,

except it were given unto him of my Father.
===================================

https://youtu.be/notKtAgfwDA

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
"I sought Him but I found Him not" Canticles.3.1.

Tell me where you lost the fellowship of Christ and I will tell you the most likely place to find Him again.

Did you lose Him in the closet by neglecting prayer? Then it is there you must seek to find Him

Was it sin? You will find Him again in no other way but by the giving up of the sin and seeking by the Holy Spirit to mortify that member in which dwelleth the sin

Have you lost His company by neglecting the scriptures? then you must find Him again in the scriptures.

The proverb is true "look for a thing where you dropped it for that is where it is" so I say look for Christ where you lost Him for He has not gone away.

Sometimes it is hard work to go back for Christ. Bunyan tells of the Pilgrim who found the piece of road back to the Arbour of Ease where he lost his scroll the hardest he had ever travelled. To go forward Twenty miles can be easier than to go back the lost mile for the lost evidence.

Take care then when you find your Master again to cling closely to Him. But HOW is it you lost Him in the first place? one would have thought you would NEVER part from one whose presence is so sweet, whose words are so comforting, and whose fellowship is so dear to you. How is your eyes were taken off Him? did you not fear losing sight of Him?.

Yet since you have let Him go what a mercy that you are seeking Him who your soul loveth, even though you groan "oh that I knew where I might find Him" Without Christ you are like a sheep without it's Shepherd, like a tree without water at it's roots, like a leaf driven on the wind and not bound to the tree of life.

Seek Him with thine whole heart and He will be found of thee. Give thyself up thoroughly to search for Him and verily thou shalt yet discover Him again to thy great joy and gladness.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
You that are believers have the most forcible reasons to hold the Holy Ghost in the highest esteem, what are you now without Him? what were you and what would you still be if it had not been for His gracious work upon you?

He quickened you else you had not been in the living family of God today, He gave you understanding that you might know the truth else you would have been as ignorant as the world is at this hour.
It was He who awakened your conscience, convincing you of sin, He gave you an abhorrence of sin and led you to repent, it was He who taught you to believe and made you to see that glorious Person who is to be believed, even Jesus Christ God's Son.
The Spirit of God has wrought in you your faith and hope and love and every other grace. There is not a jewel upon the neck of your soul which the Holy Spirit did not place there.

Notwithstanding all that the Spirit of God has already done in us it is very possible that we have missed a large part of the blessing which He is willing to give, He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all we ask or think.

We have already come to Jesus and we have drunk of the life giving stream, our thirst is quenched and we are made to live in Him, we rejoice to do so...have we come to the end of the matter? or is there more? Assuredly there is more. We have reached a far as as that first exhortation of the Lord "if any man thirst let him come to Me and drink" but do you think that the generality of the church of God has ever advanced to the next? "he that believeth in Me, as the scripture hath said out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water"

I am going to tell you the grevious truth, only here and there will you find men and women who have believed up to that point.

Their thirst is quenched as I have said and they live, because Jesus lives they shall live also, but health and vigour they have not, they have life but they have not life more abundantly.
They have little life to with which to act upon others, they have no energy welling up and overflowing to go sreaming out of them like rivers.

Perhaps they have not thought it possible, or thinking it was possible they have not thought it possible to themselves or believing it possible even to themselves they have not aspired to it. Thay have stopped short of the fullest blessing.

Last edited:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
C..H. Spurgeon

C..H. Spurgeon

View attachment 20034

Then opened He their understanding that they might understand the scriptures luke 24 45

Christ stands alone in the work of opening our understanding that we might understand the scriptures. Our Lord differs from all other teachers, they reach the ear but He instructs the heart, they deal with the outward letter but He imparts an inward taste for the truth by which we perceive it's savour and spirit.

The most uneducated among us can become ripe scholars in the school of grace when the Lord Jesus by His Holy Spirit unfolds the mysteries of the kingdom to them and grants the anointing by which they are enabled to see the invisible.

How many men of profound learning are ignorant of eternal things, they know the letter that kills but it's living spirit they cannot discern, they have a veil upon their hearts which the eyes of carnal reason cannot penetrate.

Such was our case a little time ago, we who now see were once utterly blind, truth was to us as beauty in the dark, a thing unnoticed and neglected. Had it not been for the love of Jesus we would have remained in this ignorance for without His gracious opening of our understanding we could no more have attained to spiritual knowledge than a child could climb the pyramids.

Jesu's college is the only one in which God's truth can be truly learned. Let sit at His feet and by earnest prayer call upon His blessed aid that our dull wits may grow brighter and our feeble understandings may receive heavenly things.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The deceitfulness of sin

The deceitfulness of sin

The way to keep from hardness of heart and from the deceitfulness of sin is to believe.

BELIEVE faith hath saved you, BELIEVE faith will save you. Believe faith has brought you to Christ, believe it will keep you in Christ.

Believe against any present temptation.

You will find that just in proportion as faith grows strong the deceitfulness of sin will be baffled. Under the strong light of a living faith you see through the sinful imposture and you no longer put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

But under the half light, the twilight, the darkness of a questioning mind, a half hearted faith you cannot see the true colour of an act, and you are easily deceived.

Believe thou in the living God and in His righteousness and in thy obligation to serve Him...then sin will appear exceedingly sinful. Believe in Christ who took thy sin and bare it in His own body on the tree then sin will be seen in it's blackness. Believe in the Holy Ghost by whose power thou canst be delivered from the deceitfulness of sin and as thou believest, so shall it be done unto thee....

....and thou shalt stand fast where the half believer slides back.

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

@ Nanja and AMR hopefully my gleanings will whet somebody's appetite. :)

@ PJ C.H.Spurgeon would be the first to agree with you. :)

@ False Prophet. This thread I hope will be along the same lines as Mr Psalmist's praise the Lord thread.

Yes there is endless material. There were so many miracles in connection with Spurgeon's ministry, time would fail, but not the least of them is how his sermons came to be compiled and none of his words were allowed to fall to the ground. People STILL get saved today reading Spurgeon. :)

Uh, weren't they already part of the 'Elect', these people who still get 'saved'?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Uh, weren't they already part of the 'Elect', these people who still get 'saved'?

The Election is unto the body of Christ...the blessing, of course all who are of the body of Christ will be saved.

But it does not preclude others from being saved.

Yes it is foreordained....the righteous will be saved, the wicked will perish....uh, which are YOU?