Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I voted for warmer temperatures although school being almost over is a very close second.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like the warmer temperatures (which leads to rain instead of snow and then flowers). :chuckle: I also love seeing the new babies (chicks, ducklings, calves, foals, etc...).

Mateo

I remember, as a MUCH younger man, walking with my father in town this time of year and it was evident that the female of the species would inevitabley dress different and have a certain spring in their step that winter had somehow robbed them of and having noted this would lean toward me and whisper conspiratorially,..."Sap's risin' ".

;)

Crow

Gardening!

I attacked a tangle of dead branches and overgrown greenery this afternoon which, after much dedicated chopping, turned out to be the makings of 2 reasonably attractive shrubs. I put in 5 rosebushes to hide an eyesore of a stump that I don't have the ambition nor patience to grind out. The tulips are up, and my new violets are settling in well.

I'm trying to work out where I can squeeze a small pond into the yard, even if it's only a 100 gallon pre-fab fake. That sounds like a project for next year.

I ripped out a bunch of cruddy mulch and a nightmare of plastic sheeting a previous "gardener" thought was an improvement. My snowpeas are in the ground, and each day I check and find.....no snow peas. I'm the worst kind of gardner--the impatient kind. Tomorrow, I'm considering dividing up a huge clump of tansy.

My chives are doing well. I plan on sowing some more to make a thicker clump.

I love gardening! I've started preparing the ground for REAL TOMATOES! I am so sick of those crunchy fakeries that substitue for tomatoes all winter long.

And I can't wait for the first yellow straightneck squashes.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Spring is when blah, blah, blah, new life appears, blah, blah, I hate it! :madmad:

You wouldn't believe how many calls I get in the spring...

"We found a baby bird..."
"My kids picked up a baby bird..."
"A baby bird just showed up in the yard..."
"Some mean mama bird abandoned it's babies..."
...and on, and on, and on :nono:

Most of the time I recommend just leaving it where it was found. But it's usually parents that call and they just can't imagine telling their kids to take the baby bird back to where they found it and leave it to die. They are determined it needs to go to a avian emergency room, ASAP. But they don't exist. There are only a few rehabilitators that might take them in. Seems like the best ones don't have all the legal permits necessary to do such things, so they're "underground" rehabbers and are hard to contact.

If the babe looks a few hours or days old, and you pretty much know what tree it fell out of, here's what you do: Find something to put it in like a small basket or cardboard box. If you use a shoebox, which will probably be too big, use some soft material (not grass) to go inside of it in the shape of a... you guessed it.. a nest. Stick it in the tree it fell out of. Try to secure it with duct tape or a couple nails. Just don't have the babe in there while you're swinging the hammer! Finally, let the bird's parents do the rest.

Clearing up the myths:
It is NOT true that the parents will abandon their babies if they smell human scent.
Most birds do NOT have a strong sense of smell.

If it's a big baby bird, a "teenager" if you will, just leave it on the ground. The parents are probably nearby and are waiting for you to go away before it dives down to feed it. If there are domestic cats licking their chops and staring down the helpless bird, simply shoot the cats dead.

This is just what I tell people about "saving poor helpless birds." If you're a good googler, I'm sure you can find plenty of sites that go into greater detail.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
It's SPRING! It's spring! It'sspringit'sspringit'sspring!

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :party: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Oh :lucky: ... you are *such* a hater :D

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
The renewal of life! That, what was almost dead and gone, has come back to life, and seems totally new. Hope truly "springs" eternal, every springtime!:)
P.S. and that I will finally break 80, on some golf course, somewhere, this year.:thumb:

Last edited:
C

cattyfan

I LOVE SPRING!

It is by far my favorite time of year, and Easter has always been my favorite day!

it smells good with things growing and blooming...it sounds good with all the birds singing...it looks wonderful with everything getting green and bursting with colors...

I've flung the windows wide open and am revelling in Spring!:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :jump: :jump: :jump: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Christine

Originally posted by Lucky

Spring is when blah, blah, blah, new life appears, blah, blah, I hate it! :madmad:

You wouldn't believe how many calls I get in the spring...

"We found a baby bird..."
"My kids picked up a baby bird..."
"A baby bird just showed up in the yard..."
"Some mean mama bird abandoned it's babies..."
...and on, and on, and on :nono:

Most of the time I recommend just leaving it where it was found. But it's usually parents that call and they just can't imagine telling their kids to take the baby bird back to where they found it and leave it to die. They are determined it needs to go to a avian emergency room, ASAP. But they don't exist. There are only a few rehabilitators that might take them in. Seems like the best ones don't have all the legal permits necessary to do such things, so they're "underground" rehabbers and are hard to contact.

If the babe looks a few hours or days old, and you pretty much know what tree it fell out of, here's what you do: Find something to put it in like a small basket or cardboard box. If you use a shoebox, which will probably be too big, use some soft material (not grass) to go inside of it in the shape of a... you guessed it.. a nest. Stick it in the tree it fell out of. Try to secure it with duct tape or a couple nails. Just don't have the babe in there while you're swinging the hammer! Finally, let the bird's parents do the rest.

Clearing up the myths:
It is NOT true that the parents will abandon their babies if they smell human scent.
Most birds do NOT have a strong sense of smell.

If it's a big baby bird, a "teenager" if you will, just leave it on the ground. The parents are probably nearby and are waiting for you to go away before it dives down to feed it. If there are domestic cats licking their chops and staring down the helpless bird, simply shoot the cats dead.

This is just what I tell people about "saving poor helpless birds." If you're a good googler, I'm sure you can find plenty of sites that go into greater detail.
:lucky: do you work for the game warden or wildlife center?

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Christine

:lucky: do you work for the game warden or wildlife center?
We sell bird feeders, bird seed, binoculars, scopes, nature field guides, indigenous plants, t-shirts, etc., etc. Because of the name, "Wild Bird Center," many folks falsely assume we "save" wild birds or even sell wild birds.

Unfortunately, the store's future is uncertain and so these next few weeks working there just may be my last. :cry: I've worked there part-time for 3 1/2 years.

Last edited:

the Sibbie

I love the feel of warm weather and the scent of spring. Also the warm sunshine just seems to make me a happier person. :D

YawgmothsAvatar

It's funny, because I live in perpertual warm weather, so a third of those options don't even apply to me.

:does the 'lives in Florida dance':
:devil: