ECT Speaking in tongues

musterion

No takers yet on the audio challenge. Either they don't trust God or they know it's not real.

If you REALLY BELIEVED it was God's gift, you wouldn't need to be challenged. AndyC would have posted proof of his "tongues" in the OP.

andyc

No takers yet on the audio challenge. Either they don't trust God or they know it's not real.

If you REALLY BELIEVED it was God's gift, you wouldn't need to be challenged. AndyC would have posted proof of his "tongues" in the OP.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Do you want to understand what no one understands, except God?

andyc

A lot of people don't really know what the gift of tongues actually is. Also, the term "baptism in the Holy Spirit" is not exclusive to pentecostals.
There are multiple people of all denominations who are filled with the Spirit, and choose to, or not to speak in tongues.
Speaking in tongues is not a miraculous gift that enables people to speak in some kind of special unlearned language, unless people are inspired under the power of the Holy Spirit to speak a known language for a specific purpose.
Basically, a person will speak in tongues when overcome by a moving of the Holy spirit within, in such a way that what is flowing out of you from within cannot be expressed in a human language, because of the limitations of the language, and the need to mentally think of words to describe feelings, needs, or whatever. Speaking/praying/worshiping in tongues cuts out the natural mind in order for the spirit to commune with God directly.

It amuses me when I see people here complaining about the demonstrations they see of tongues on places like youtube, and say that it's just complete nonsense, no language at all. But the thing is, God is not listening to the words coming out of a person's mouth, it is the expression of the spirit that God understands.
For example, a baby may make unintelligible noises, but the mother knows what the baby wants, and whether it is just happy, or in need of something. The baby doesn't have a natural ability to express in a language what it is feeling or requiring. In the same way, a Christian may have a spiritual need, or express an inner joy,love, need etc, which cannot be expressed from their spirit using human words and wisdom.

ZacharyB

Recently, from one of God's prophets ... quoting Jesus:

“I am done with the lukewarm church. She beautifies herself like lipstick on a pig. She is better off drawing a steaming hot bath and scrubbing off the impurities that cling to her. She has become ugly to me. She is no bride. She has become a laughingstock. I will cleanse her once again from her iniquity so that what is left has been cleansed and made ready for the day I give her to My son, her groom for all eternity. He will have the bride that He deserves and nothing less. All else will burn in the lake of fire.”

Is it any wonder that your Laodicean churches teach cessationism?

Dr. C. S. Lovett said that all of the Laodicean church (Rev 3) was unsaved.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ephesians 6:18 Amplified Bible (AMP)

18 With all prayer and petition pray [with specific requests] at all times [on every occasion and in every season] in the Spirit, and with this in view, stay alert with all perseverance and petition [interceding in prayer] for all [a]God’s people.

Danoh

Ephesians 6:18 Amplified Bible (AMP)

18 With all prayer and petition pray [with specific requests] at all times [on every occasion and in every season] in the Spirit, and with this in view, stay alert with all perseverance and petition [interceding in prayer] for all [a]God’s people.

Some years ago, I took an honest look at these issues and found I could not hold to them.

For me; it was just a matter of applying what I was already rather good at long before I first encountered these issues.

Ever since childhood, I had always been curious about how things work; about their inner workings.

As a result, I became really good at taking a thing apart as to what sort it is; what its parts are; how they result in the whole...

Applying this skill set to these issues, I found they are the result of a combination of superstitions one looks at things through, unaware that one is doing so, together with one's unawareness of how to examine such things through the Word.

Even many a MADist appears to still hold one superstition or another they have simply either failed to examine; or to examine soundly.

I often do not post much on these superstitions because they only prove the reality, via the resulting emotional backlash such end up resorting to.

Danoh

Here, at TOL?
Which MADists here are you suggesting hold to a superstition?

Better yet, define "superstition."

Ala your excellent question elsewhere "define idol worship."

Not that said higher level of abstraction on your part helped much; as you were dealing with individuals unwilling to examine a question they were right off offended by, due to how married they are to their ideas.

These things always boil down to the higher level of abstraction that is "the things that differ" principle.

A principle easily thrown out where one takes a question or attempt to point a thing out, as a personal affront.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Better yet, define "superstition."

Ala your excellent question elsewhere "define idol worship."

Not that said higher level of abstraction on your part helped much; as you were dealing with individuals unwilling to examine a question they were right off offended by, due to how married they are to their ideas.

These things always boil down to the higher level of abstraction that is "the things that differ" principle.

A principle easily thrown out where one takes a question or attempt to point a thing out, as a personal affront.
The definition you hold to.
You are the one suggesting that some MADists hold to superstition.
Which MADists here at TOL do you file in that category?

Danoh

The definition you hold to.
You are the one suggesting that some MADists hold to superstition.
Which MADists here at TOL do you file in that category?

Given the fact of your obviously better "define" question to the RCs, what is your above "you are the one" to me about?

Were you offended? What? Have I not always been fair with you?

Have I not often proving I think a thing through. That I do not simply assert a thing without some half way decent reason?

I hold to the things that differ principle.

No matter what doing so challenges me to have to reassess.

But as a supposed fellow MAD has once more concluded in his obvious projection; I am only attempting to outdo such individuals.

You well know Tam; I always defend my fellow MADs, where I find just cause.

Just as I defend anyone not MAD, where I find just cause.

I'll leave this at the testimony it will unfortunately result in on the part of some once more.

musterion

Maybe a template will help.

MAD: Musterion

Superstition(s) held to: ____________________________________

If a fellow believer happens to sincerely think I'm superstitious, I'm all ears.

But if it's just snark and snipe, not interested.

musterion

Still waiting for someone to explain, if you have a miraculous gift from God specifically intended for unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22), why you do not use it publicly to the edification of the Body and the salvation of the lost. There's got to be a reason but no one has said yet.

If you have the Pentecost-era gift of miraculous languages, post the verifiable evidence so you can SILENCE US ONCE AND FOR ALL.