ECT Sodom found (?)

musterion

Very interesting...

Dr. Leen Ritmeyer, architect and archaeologist, has made three reconstructive drawings of the ancient city of Sodom and its gate based on research done over the past two decades by Dr. Steven Collins, Dean of the College of Archaeology and Biblical History at Trinity Southwest University, Albuquerque, New Mexico. I understand that Ritmeyer has assisted some in the excavation. They believe that Sodom was located at Tel el-Hammam, almost due east of Jericho on the eastern side of the Jordan. This is in the plain of Jordan, which is the area where the Jordan flows into the Dead Sea. It fits the Bible's description of Sodom's location in Genesis 13:10-11. Lot lifted up his eyes from Bethel, which is west of Jericho, and saw the region to the east, describing it as "the plain of Jordan." From Bethel, Lot journeyed east to Sodom. The Hebrew word for "plain" in Genesis 13 is kikkar, which refers to a circle, a perfect description of the plain of Jordan.

Ritmeyer reports, "During the excavations of Tall el-Hammam in 2013, a large gatehouse with pillars was found behind the main entrance to the Middle Bronze Age city. This reconstruction drawing shows what the main gate of Tall el-Hammam would have looked like. The drawing shows a right angled pathway through the gatehouse with a space at the side where the elders and judges of the city would have congregated. Many other exciting finds were made, such as melted potsherds and burnt skeletons, that testify to a terrible and fiery destruction reminiscent of that described in Genesis 19."

Whether or not Tel el-Hammam is Sodom, there is no doubt that Sodom and its sister cities were located somewhere in that area. Dr. Ritmeyer's reconstructive drawings are based on actual archaeological research and are beautifully done, bringing ancient Bible history to life. I have licensed some of them for my PowerPoint presentations.

Dr. Ritmeyer also has an excellent new book
Jerusalem: The Temple Mount. See
http://www.ritmeyer.com/2015/05/04/the-search-for-sodom/
http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=H1Xw2&m=3bUoFxi2gtNpjkC&b=bsgJGcEDK7HohFh.9y2jHA

Friday Church News Notes, July 17, 2015, www.wayoflife.org

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
It would be great if the found it. Searching for it has been a big pain in the butt.

glorydaz

I would love to visit the Holy Land, and the search for all these ancient sites is so fascinating. Thanks for sharing.....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't go to the link. There was an old mosaic map found and it listed the sites and until we saw it, nobody checked out those places. Is that the same place?

glorydaz

I didn't go to the link. There was an old mosaic map found and it listed the sites and until we saw it, nobody checked out those places. Is that the same place?

I'm not sure, but it seems like this is based on Biblical descriptions as well as actual archaeological research. They found what seems to be the "gate" that was mentioned in the Bible. I'm going to try and watch it and find out more.