Socioeconomic Theories

elohiym

elohiym said:
Should loan contracts be enforced if they are illegal? If not, is there an exception if it turns out the majority of loan contracts are illegal?

Then assume for minute that all loans made through deposit expansion (the vast majority of home, car and credit card loans) were proven to be illegal, would you void them if you were the judge, or would you enforce the contract because of the great danger you see to the economy?

If you say you would still enforce them knowing they are illegal, then you have some insight into why judges in the U.S. are actually doing that.

But deposit expansion is not presently illegal. It's even regulated.

I'm sorry you have been convinced the process is legal and regulated.
It occurs under color of law and color of regulation but is neither legal nor regulated.

What Iceland did was moderate, and responsible, and comported with existing law.

How were the loans they forgave illegal?

What you're proposing is punishment for a system that you don't like but that isn't illegal ...

No. I'm proposing illegal loans are void in accordance with U.S. law. We disagree as to whether or not loans created through deposit expansion are legal. As for punishment, I would give amnesty to the bankers in a truth and reconciliation type arrangement.

Now if the system wasn't illegal and immoral, and if it didn't cause so much destruction in the U.S. and throughout the world, and if the People really were that stupid to want such a system instead of the alternative, I would be a banker.

and I'm reasonably certain that it would cause the immediate failure of all banks in the country even if they never did anything illegal. One is the rule of law. The other is its negation in favor of vengeance.

You can't be reasonable certain of that since you have to be assuming many things, and things I have not said.

All banks in the country subject to Federal Reserve Bank rules and regulations have necessarily done something illegal because of how the loan process works.

Deposit expansion is a basic part of banking, even in Iceland. In the US, the CFPB has taken actions resulting in refunds of billions of dollars that were deemed illegally taken from consumers, and that seems a lot closer, at least in spirit, to what Iceland has been doing.

There is good reason to deem every loan made through deposit expansion as illegal.

In Iceland, they actually prosecuted bankers who did wrong.

What did the bankers do wrong exactly? What law was broken exactly?

In the US, we bailed out the banks, and we allowed "healthy" banks to acquire those that were in trouble. I actually would have liked to see a more Icelandic approach here.

Before the bailout, lawmakers were told horror stories about what would happen if they let the banks fail, martial law, etc. I think you would have succumbed to the scare tactics since you are using the same tactics in this thread in response to voiding illegal loans.

I think it sets a very bad precedent that we treated certain banks as too fundamental to our economy to even hold their people accountable to the law. But Iceland certainly didn't abolish the fractional reserve system, or the resulting deposit expansion. They set up a new bank, forgave debts that were deemed illegal, and demonstrated that bankers are accountable to the law.

Unlike the U.S., Iceland's central bank is a government entity. And the government of Iceland has been investigating moving to full reserve banking since 2012.

elohiym said:
Where are those creditors getting the money to lend to others?
From deposits and from cash on hand.

:chuckle: No, they are not. Here is how the Federal Reserve Bank explains money creation in their publication Modern Money Mechanics (page 6, second column, second paragraph):
Of course, [banks] do not really pay out loans from the money they receive as deposits. If they did this, no additional money would be created. What they do when they make loans is to accept promissory notes in exchange for credits to the borrowers' transaction accounts. Loans (assets) and deposits (liabilities) both rise...​
That's how it works, not as you say. They claim to create the money, which a lie. And it should be obvious it is a lie if both assets and liabilities increased. Why does the bank have a liability if it created money or loaned its money? The bank didn't really create money; creating money would be increasing a transaction account balance without depositing anything (illegal). What they do is borrow a cash equivalent (promissory note) from the borrower (without his knowledge or consent) and use the note to fund the loan back to the borrower. So what they are actually doing is fraudulently converting promissory notes.

What good does it do to say that for every dollar that a bank holds in deposits, it must have a dollar to issue at any time to the account holder?

Full reserve banking doesn't make sense to you?

How do you have a fiat currency without a central bank?

How does your country have U.S. Notes and coinage?

I would make it an ironclad rule that banks accepting deposits backed by the FDIC couldn't use that money to invest in risky securities, such a credit default swaps. I would control the exposure to risk by specifying a list of valid investment types. And I would demand that the Federal Reserve be a real independent government agency subject to audits and oversight.

Risky? Like unsecured credit? Try all debt created through deposit expansion is risky.

The financial crisis that we experienced in 2007-2008 was not the result of just deposit expansion, which can be done in a responsible and stable way, especially with FDIC insurance.

The derivatives don't exist without the underlying loans that were created through deposit expansion, so it's the core problem.

Please explain how deposit expansion can be done in "a responsible and stable way." How can you say that if you don't even understand how deposit expansion works?

... I'm afraid that we're headed down the same path again.

The problem is deposit expansion. Don't fix that problem and the cycles of boom and bust will continue because they are very profitable cycles for those who create and control the currency.

elohiym said:
If you were an Icelander who suddenly had $500,000.00 less debt because it was forgiven, you certainly would feel the spirit of a Jubilee year, I'm sure.
Unless at the same time, all money became worthless, and the economy collapsed.

The sky might fall, too.

rexlunae

Then assume for minute that all loans made through deposit expansion (the vast majority of home, car and credit card loans) were proven to be illegal, would you void them if you were the judge, or would you enforce the contract because of the great danger you see to the economy?

Ok, taking your hypothetical, if I were a judge, I'd try to resolve the illegally made loans in the least disruptive way permissible under the law, which would probably involve a procedure like a bankruptcy for the debtor to reverse the loans. For secured loans, it would probably involve the return of some amount of the money paid on the loan, and also the return of the property under lien to the lienholders, unless some alternate financing could be arranged.

If you say you would still enforce them knowing they are illegal, then you have some insight into why judges in the U.S. are actually doing that.

I think it has more to do with the fact that there is no basis in law for the notion that deposit expansion is illegal.

I'm sorry you have been convinced the process is legal and regulated.

I'm not just saying so. It's regulated.
https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/7500-500.html#fdic7500204.1

It occurs under color of law and color of regulation but is neither legal nor regulated.

What is your legal authority for calling it illegal?

How were the loans they forgave illegal?

As far as I know, they didn't forgive loans. One of the main causes of the crisis for Iceland was that their banks were dependent on a large amount of foreign borrowing to continue to function. When the international credit market dried up in 2008, this became impossible, which lead to several huge banks going bankrupt all at once. The Icelandic equivalent of FDIC deposit insurance was used to back the deposits of domestic deposits, but not foreign ones, which triggered problems with other countries.

The people who were prosecuted were those who circumvented regular banking regulations by various devices. I don't know of a case that's directly tied to simple deposit expansion, however, as that isn't illegal as long as it's done as specified by the law.

No. I'm proposing illegal loans are void in accordance with U.S. law. We disagree as to whether or not loans created through deposit expansion are legal.

Ok. You are mistaken.

Now if the system wasn't illegal and immoral, and if it didn't cause so much destruction in the U.S. and throughout the world, and if the People really were that stupid to want such a system instead of the alternative, I would be a banker.

If it's illegal, show me the law that says so. If it's immoral, tell me why. And if it caused destruction, explain the mechanism.

You can't be reasonable certain of that since you have to be assuming many things, and things I have not said.

Specifically?

All banks in the country subject to Federal Reserve Bank rules and regulations have necessarily done something illegal because of how the loan process works.

Because you believe that all loans created by deposit expansion are illegal. But you haven't demonstrated that, so far.

There is good reason to deem every loan made through deposit expansion as illegal.

That being?

What did the bankers do wrong exactly? What law was broken exactly?

Many things, but none of them simply engaging in "deposit expansion".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–11_Icelandic_financial_crisis#Arrests

Before the bailout, lawmakers were told horror stories about what would happen if they let the banks fail, martial law, etc. I think you would have succumbed to the scare tactics since you are using the same tactics in this thread in response to voiding illegal loans.

No. What I would have done is take the failed banks into some sort of receivership, wipe out the investors (less any value actually left in the bank assets transferred), and spun them out again into smaller private companies with investment wings properly segregated from FDIC insured retail banks. A sort of bankruptcy where the investors in the banks lose a lot, the FDIC insurance guarantees deposits, and the further consolidation of the banks is avoided. And I would have prosecuted any banker found to have done anything illegal that contributed, no matter how important their institution is thought to be.

Unlike the U.S., Iceland's central bank is a government entity. And the government of Iceland has been investigating moving to full reserve banking since 2012.

Let me know how that works for them.

:chuckle: No, they are not. Here is how the Federal Reserve Bank explains money creation in their publication Modern Money Mechanics (page 6, second column, second paragraph):
Of course, [banks] do not really pay out loans from the money they receive as deposits. If they did this, no additional money would be created. What they do when they make loans is to accept promissory notes in exchange for credits to the borrowers' transaction accounts. Loans (assets) and deposits (liabilities) both rise...​
That's how it works, not as you say.

It's exactly as I described. The point that they are making is that the money that was deposited does not disappear. It is converted into a promissory note. The money to issue new loans comes from the deposits. Essentially, when you deposit money at a bank, you are lending the bank that money. The bank, in turn, lends that money out at a higher rate. FDIC insurance requires the bank to retain a ratio of their deposits to be paid out on demad, and also guarantees that if the bank is unable to do so, it will cover the shortfall, which it is able to do in part because it (as a part of the Fed) can create money from nothing without borrowing it.

They claim to create the money, which a lie. And it should be obvious it is a lie if both assets and liabilities increased. Why does the bank have a liability if it created money or loaned its money?

It is this essential smoke-and-mirrors trick that our entire economy is based upon. The many-times-over borrowed dollar, which is a fiction created by the Federal Reserve.

The bank didn't really create money; creating money would be increasing a transaction account balance without depositing anything (illegal).

Only the Fed can do that. Or other central banks, in other countries. All other money, which is to say most money that exists, is leveraged and derived from some kind of borrowing.

What they do is borrow a cash equivalent (promissory note) from the borrower (without his knowledge or consent) and use the note to fund the loan back to the borrower.

You consent when you deposit your money. Savings accounts generally stipulate that there are limit on withdrawals. Almost all of the time, banks will have enough cash on hand to cover any withdrawals on the spot, but if need be, they can dip into their reserves, and if they really can't cover the demand for withdrawals (as in a bank run scenario), the Fed steps in as a last resort and creates new money to cover the gap.

So what they are actually doing is fraudulently converting promissory notes.

Read the agreement on your savings account. And this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_D_(FRB)

The whole system is built to be very safe for depositors.

Full reserve banking doesn't make sense to you?

Well, it would essentially mean that all the money would be directly issued by the central bank. It would make it difficult or impossible for commercial banks to exist.

Risky? Like unsecured credit? Try all debt created through deposit expansion is risky.

That debt is backed by the FDIC, which has the ability to print money to cover the liability. Prior to that, bank runs were a real hazard at times. But usually only in a crisis.

The derivatives don't exist without the underlying loans that were created through deposit expansion, so it's the core problem.

Only because most of the money in the system wouldn't exist if not for deposit expansion. That's not exactly a causal relationship. I don't see any reason you couldn't create a system of swaps for 100% reserves.

Please explain how deposit expansion can be done in "a responsible and stable way."

1. The central bank, which issues currency from nothing specifies a required reserve ratio expected to coincide with how money is likely to be demanded from deposits.
2. Banks place themselves under regulation by the central bank, which obligates them to maintain this ratio of reserves.
3. If the required reserves from step #1 are insufficient, the central bank creates money to cover the difference. This creates inflation over the entire system, but ensures that no one loses their deposits up to a covered amount.

How can you say that if you don't even understand how deposit expansion works?

I'm no economist, but I do understand reasonably well how it works in the broad strokes. I'm still not sure that you do.

The problem is deposit expansion. Don't fix that problem and the cycles of boom and bust will continue because they are very profitable cycles for those who create and control the currency.

Well, it's funny you say that, because we went for decades in the post-war era without a real boom-bust cycle. And even until about 2007, the boom-bust cycle was mild compared to what had occurred before FDIC insurance.

It's certainly true that the boom-bust cycle has been made very profitable for some people, and that many of them have lobbied to bring it back for that reason. But it isn't the product of fractional reserve banking. It's actually a product of the removal of many of the stabilizing regulations that were place on the economy.

elohiym

I'm no economist, but I do understand reasonably well how it works in the broad strokes. I'm still not sure that you do.

Based on your responses, I know for a fact that you absolutely do not understand how it works in the broad strokes. You still believe loan money comes from deposits after I quoted the Federal Reserve Bank publication stating that banks don't make loans from deposits, and explaining they convert promissory notes, i.e. assets and liabilities increase.

My knowledge of deposit expansion and it's illegality comes from bankers, a lawyer that worked for the Federal Reserve Bank and a CPA that was an expert witness against banks in several court cases. I have Federal Reserve Bank publications, GAAP, witness testimony and the laws of the United States as evidence.

I'm not going to explain it to you any more than I have. Believe what you want. We will have to agree to disagree regarding the legality of deposit expansion-based loans.

Ok, taking your hypothetical, if I were a judge ...

If the contract is illegal, the contract is void. See void versus voidable. Regardless, your solution would obviously cost substantially more than my solution for a similar end result, assuming all the loan contracts were illegal per the hypothetical.

I'm not interested in defending my position beyond that.

:e4e:

The Berean

Based on your responses, I know for a fact that you absolutely do not understand how it works in the broad strokes. You still believe loan money comes from deposits after I quoted the Federal Reserve Bank publication stating that banks don't make loans from deposits, and explaining they convert promissory notes, i.e. assets and liabilities increase.

My knowledge of deposit expansion and it's illegality comes from bankers, a lawyer that worked for the Federal Reserve Bank and a CPA that was an expert witness against banks in several court cases. I have Federal Reserve Bank publications, GAAP, witness testimony and the laws of the United States as evidence.

I'm not going to explain it to you any more than I have. Believe what you want. We will have to agree to disagree regarding the legality of deposit expansion-based loans.

If the contract is illegal, the contract is void. See void versus voidable. Regardless, your solution would obviously cost substantially more than my solution for a similar end result, assuming all the loan contracts were illegal per the hypothetical.

I seem to remember you had a debate with JustinFoldsFive several years ago on deposit expansion. I did a quick search but I couldn't find it.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
To continue a discussion about various socioeconomic theories that started around here.

I invite any of those interested in continuing this discussion...

Occupy Wall Street started the national conversation about income inequality. And recently an extensive book by Thomas Picketty called "Capital" goes over the world economies and shows how income inequality is effected.

From Amazon:

What are the grand dynamics that drive the accumulation and distribution of capital? Questions about the long-term evolution of inequality, the concentration of wealth, and the prospects for economic growth lie at the heart of political economy. But satisfactory answers have been hard to find for lack of adequate data and clear guiding theories. In Capital in the Twenty-First Century, Thomas Piketty analyzes a unique collection of data from twenty countries, ranging as far back as the eighteenth century, to uncover key economic and social patterns. His findings will transform debate and set the agenda for the next generation of thought about wealth and inequality.

rexlunae

You still believe loan money comes from deposits after I quoted the Federal Reserve Bank publication stating that banks don't make loans from deposits.

Here is the paragraph before the one that you quoted:

It does not really matter where this money is at any given time. The important fact is that
these deposits do not disappear. They are in some deposit accounts at all times. All
banks together have $10,000 of deposits and reserves that they did not have before.
However, they are not required to keep $10,000 of reserves against the $10,000 of
deposits. All they need to retain, under a 10 percent reserve requirement, is $1000. The
remaining $9,000 is "excess reserves." This amount can be loaned or invested.

http://lisgi1.engr.ccny.cuny.edu/~makse/Modern_Money_Mechanics.pdf

The promissory note is the instrument by which the bank maintains the value of the original deposit, which is what the publication was clarifying. The cash to make new loans does in fact come from the deposits via this mechanism.

That all sounds very impressive, but since you don't cite them or even name them, I'm not inclined to credit it for much. Especially when it's one individual from each discipline. There are a lot of cranks out there, and the vagueness of the reference makes me suspect that you are relying on people well outside the mainstreams of their disciplines.

That's your choice, but you haven't even stated what law criminalizes deposit expansion, so you haven't really said much. At some point, you're going to have to make your case to someone, if you want them to take it seriously. If deposit expansion is illegal, it should be simple to cite something verifiable to support that proposition, and otherwise, I'll assume that you're asserting it without basis.

When the law is on your side, pound on the law. When the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. When neither the facts nor the law are on your side, pound on the table. Your table seems to be taking a mighty beating.

WizardofOz

The Two Cows Example of Political Philosophy begins with two cows

FEUDALISM:
You have two cows. Your lord takes some of the milk.

PURE SOCIALISM:
You have two cows. The government takes them and puts them in a barn with everyone else's cows. You have to take care of all the cows. The government gives you as much milk as you need.

BUREAUCRATIC SOCIALISM:
You have two cows. The government takes them and puts them in a barn with everyone else's cows. They are cared for by ex-chicken farmers. You have to take care of the chickens the government took from the chicken farmers. The government gives you as much milk and as many eggs as the regulations say you should need.

FASCISM:
You have two cows. The government takes both, hires you to take care of them, and sells you the milk.

BUREAUCRACY:
You have two cows. At first the government regulates what you can feed them and when you can milk them. Then it pays you not to milk them. After that it takes both, shoots one, milks the other and pours the milk down the drain. Then it requires you to fill out forms accounting for the missing cows.

PURE COMMUNISM:
You have two cows. Your neighbors help you take care of them, and you all share the milk.

APPLIED COMMUNISM:
You have two cows. You have to take care of them, but the government takes all the milk.

DICTATORSHIP:
You have two cows. The government takes both and shoots you.

MILITARIANISM:
You have two cows. The government takes both and drafts you.

PURE DEMOCRACY:
You have two cows. Your neighbors decide who gets the milk.

REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY:
You have two cows. Your neighbors pick someone to tell you who gets the milk.

AMERICAN DEMOCRACY:
The government promises to give you two cows if you vote for it. After the election, the president is impeached for speculating in cow futures. The press dubs the affair "Cowgate".

BRITISH DEMOCRACY:
You have two cows. You feed them sheeps' brains and they go mad. The government doesn't do anything.

SINGAPOREAN DEMOCRACY:
You have two cows. The government fines you for keeping two unlicensed farm animals in an apartment.

ANARCHY:
You have two cows. Either you sell the milk at a fair price or your neighbors try to kill you and take the cows.

CAPITALISM:
You have two cows. You sell one and buy a bull.

HONG KONG CAPITALISM:
You have two cows. You sell three of them to your publicly-listed company, using letters of credit opened by your brother-in-law at the bank, then execute a debt / equity swap with associated general offer so that you get all four cows back, with a tax deduction for keeping five cows. The milk rights of six cows are transferred via a Panamanian intermediary to a Cayman Islands company secretly owned by the majority shareholder, who sells the rights to all seven cows' milk back to the listed company. The annual report says that the company owns eight cows, with an option on one more. Meanwhile, you kill the two cows because the fung shui is bad.

ENVIRONMENTALISM:
You have two cows. The government bans you from milking or killing them.

TOTALITARIANISM:
You have two cows. The government takes them and denies they ever existed. Milk is banned.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS:
You are associated with (the concept of "ownership" is a symbol of the phallocentric, warmongering, intolerant past) two differently-aged (but no less valuable to society) bovines of nonspecified gender.

COUNTERCULTURE:
Wow, dude, there's like... these two cows, man. You have *got* to have some of this milk. I mean totally.

SURREALISM:
You have two giraffes. The government requires you to take harmonica lessons.

THERAPYISM:
You have two cows. One is a metaphor for your inner child. The other is the manifestation of anger toward a parental figure. You take one of the cows on walks through grassy fields by the gentle ocean waves. The other you beat with an anger bat.
(©2007 Mike McLoughlin, Executive Director, Memphis Recovery Centers)

RECOVERYISM:
You have twelve cows ... and a sponsor.
(©2007 Mike McLoughlin, Executive Director, Memphis Recovery Centers)

INSURANCISM:
You have two cows. The Federal regulator requires you to hold one cow in reserve because they predict a shortage of milk. The Provincial/State regulator requires you to drop the price of milk because they predict a surplus of milk. The courts deem your cows inherently dangerous and order you to provide free milk to anyone who has ever been frightened by a farm animal. The marketing people are promising chocolate milk at an enhanced commission and you discover your own actuaries have been building pricing models assuming goats instead to save on the expense line.
(©2002 Saskia Oltheten Matheson)

OLTHETENISM:
You have two cows. You milk them and sell the milk in the Discovery Cafe.