Should It Be Lawful For Minors To Be Married With Parental Consent?

genuineoriginal

Marriage is a societal institution that provides support for pregnant women and children by ensuring that there is a husband to support them.
Except ... that doesn't happen. Not all marriages produce children ... not all couples wish to have children.
Marriages without children does not change the fact that marriage is a societal institution that provides support for pregnant women and children by ensuring that there is a husband to support them.

There are people that claim that the institution of marriage was created by women to meet this very need.

_____
MARRIAGE: AN ACHIEVEMENT OF CENTURIES FOR THE PROTECTION OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN (pdf)
. . .
She may be primeval, at the dawn of marriage itself; or she may be someone who visited a welfare office or a crisis pregnancy center this morning. Either way, she has the same problem: she has a baby (born or soon to be so), and raising him or her is going to be a lot harder – for the mother and the baby alike – if she does not succeed in getting the father to play a role in helping both her and the baby. Maybe she is lucky and he actually wants to. But what if he does not? She can try to persuade him; that might work – for a while. She might in effect bribe him with continuing sexual access, but that is not going to work over the long haul because younger competitors enter the sexual market every day. So what can our young mother do?

There is one other strategy open to her, but she cannot implement it alone. It is that of setting up a thick web of social rewards and expectations, valorizing the men who dedicate themselves to their children and of the mothers of their children, and stigmatizing those who do not. This act of social construction (if you insist on calling it that) requires not only the participation of the entire society, but also the passing of centuries.

Success will come, alas, centuries too late to help the young mother with whom we started. But maybe, maybe, we can help her similarly-situated sisters down the ages. Maybe, that is, unless anyone were to stop the process and reverse it, teaching that marriage is not about tying men to the children they have sired or may sire, but rather, about the moment-to-moment happiness of the couple who gets married; that, plus a bunch of legal benefits. If that were to happen – and of course it has – the system will unravel in much less time than it took to put it together.
. . .
_____​

If you want to continue to think marriage is about the moment-to-moment happiness of the couple, then you are taking away the protections of the mother and baby that marriage provides.

After all, many men today would be happy to enjoy sex with many women and never take any responsibility when the women get pregnant.

genuineoriginal

And there it is. When the parent decides it's better and pushes the marriage - that's the control I was talking about.

And when the young woman is forced to raise her child alone in poverty because of people like you condemning marriage, that is just what you can expect to happen.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you want to continue to think marriage is about the moment-to-moment happiness of the couple, then you are taking away the protections of the mother and baby that marriage provides.

Not all marriages produce children ... for those that do, in many instances, the children are more at risk IF one of the parents are unfit or violent.

After all, many men today would be happy to enjoy sex with many women and never take any responsibility when the women get pregnant.

:yawn: They already do that. The only difference (if things were done YOUR way) is that those women would be tied to an unfaithful loser who would make her miserable.

genuineoriginal

Marriages should be based on mutual love, respect and commitment to the only two people involved in the union: those who are marrying.
That is the worst way to make a marriage, since it will fall apart just as soon as the man or woman "falls out of love" with their spouse and "falls in love" with the pizza delivery person.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And when the young woman is forced to raise her child alone in poverty because of people like you condemning marriage, that is just what you can expect to happen.

You make too many assumptions. Unless you have walked the walk, you have no clue what you are speaking of. It is far better to scrape by, living pay check to pay check as compared to living a life of wealth and misery.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is the worst way to make a marriage, since it will fall apart just as soon as the man or woman "falls out of love" with their spouse and "falls in love" with the pizza delivery person.

So ... your criteria for a strong marriage is ... the spouses must not love or care about one another?

NEWSFLASH: Your way is much easier to accomplish by just ... remaining single.

genuineoriginal

You make too many assumptions. Unless you have walked the walk, you have no clue what you are speaking of. It is far better to scrape by, living pay check to pay check as compared to living a life of wealth and misery.
I see you are perfectly happy in forcing your child to live in poverty and without a parent during the times you are off to work earning that pay check.
You also seem to want your child to choose someone while their ability to think rationally is clouded by the hormones racing through their bodies, a condition known as "love", and end up scraping by and living paycheck to paycheck with their own children when the feelings go away.

So ... your criteria for a strong marriage is ... the spouses must not love or care about one another?
No, my criteria is putting family before feelings.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see you are perfectly happy in forcing your child to live in poverty and without a parent during the times you are off to work earning that pay check.

I see you perfectly happy forcing a couple into a marriage that will most probably fail and being dismissive of any abuse or adultery that is part of that marriage.

You also seem to want your child to choose someone while their ability to think rationally is clouded by the hormones racing through their bodies, a condition known as "love", and end up scraping by and living paycheck to paycheck with their own children when the feelings go away.

Nah ... I just have no desire to be the type of selfish, control freak who wishes to throw my children out the door at the first opportunity ...

No, my criteria is putting family before feelings.

No. It's. Not. Your criteria is being dismissive of a child's future. You speak of marriage as though it is nothing more than a business deal.

Arthur Brain

The LGBTQueer movement has gone to great measures (beat up people, threatened their lives, had them fired or sued, damaged private property, etc. etc. etc.) to get where they are with marriage equality today. By leaving two boyz that want to share their (shortened) lives together out of the equation, it shows that you're a homophobic Nazi racist theocratic bigot.

Shame on you Arthurrrrrr.

shame-on-you-wagging-finger.jpg

Okay, once you've put the LSD down and tuned back into sanity FM then feel free to respond on point aCW...

:freak:

Arthur Brain

When surrounded by...I'll go back to my thread and have some fun with you and Arthurrrrrr.

Surrounded by what? Hallucinations?

It would seem to me that anyone with a non indoctrinated frontal cortex would balk at the notion of children being married or forced into it. Still, if they're 15 year old girls and a conservative Christian promotes it then hey, it's all good eh aCW?

:thumb:

:plain:

genuineoriginal

I see you perfectly happy forcing a couple into a marriage that will most probably fail and being dismissive of any abuse or adultery that is part of that marriage.
You are doing that by insisting that the couple must choose their own spouses because of a momentary feeling.
Nah ... I just have no desire to be the type of selfish, control freak who wishes to throw my children out the door at the first opportunity ...
You seem to have a problem comprehending the way an extended family functions.
No. It's. Not. Your criteria is being dismissive of a child's future. You speak of marriage as though it is nothing more than a business deal.
You think making a decision based on careful consideration of a child's future is being dismissive?
You are much more dismissive with your, "as long as it makes you happy," attitude towards marriage, divorce, and living alone in poverty trying to raise a child.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
After puberty, the only thing stopping a person from adulthood is, well, you.

They had no problem with it before you, so what's the real problem? Because it isn't their age :rolleyes:

Haven't seen anyone answer this.

All I see is affirmation of what is already presumed, not an actual moral structure to validate why the new system is better than the old, which was around all the way up to this recent age.

It went like this: 14 for girls; 16 for boys. This was where they were ready for woman and manhood, and this was the standard even so far as to colonial America.

So, again
What's the problem :idunno:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Indeed it is. If a child doesn't wish to get married it's irrelevant in GO's place of residence aka 'Bonkersville'...

He's the type of nut that I hope just doesn't have children...

I have to say this thread of yours brings back bad memories of the Ducky Dynasty threads. And I don't think a one of us on either side of the issue who was there for those threads has changed our minds.