Should I Write A Book?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Have you ever thought about writing a book? Everyone seems to do it, so it shouldn't be too hard. The truth is, it takes a great deal of imagination, discipline, hard work and research. I can see myself getting really interested in a subject and having enough resources to write a good book. The problem is, I'm not really an expert on any particular subject.

The one thing I have going my way is plenty of free time. I have a few ideas about writing a fictional book, which I believe to be harder than writing non-fiction. I may be good at children's books, who knows? Could I possibly write a Christian book? I am open to suggestions for a good subject, please feel free to submit ideas and subjects.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would suggest writing something mythical/fantasy/made-up for your first try.

That way you can be creative and not have to do much research at all because your characters and their abilities are made up by you.
And the story could be a comedy, or horror, or drama, or all tree mixed in together.

You could even post chapters you have written here in a thread, and others here could critique it for grammar or contradictions, etc.
They could even suggest a better way to say something or approach a scene.

If nothing else, it could be fun and a learning experience for all involved.

Arthur Brain

Have you ever thought about writing a book? Everyone seems to do it, so it shouldn't be too hard. The truth is, it takes a great deal of imagination, discipline, hard work and research. I can see myself getting really interested in a subject and having enough resources to write a good book. The problem is, I'm not really an expert on any particular subject.

The one thing I have going my way is plenty of free time. I have a few ideas about writing a fictional book, which I believe to be harder than writing non-fiction. I may be good at children's books, who knows? Could I possibly write a Christian book? I am open to suggestions for a good subject, please feel free to submit ideas and subjects.

Writing can be a good way of expressing yourself. I found it therapeutic writing a short story a few years ago that was fictional but included elements of real life that I was dealing with at the time. It can be a rewarding and cathartic experience as well as enjoyable. Just try and pick a subject - either fictional or none and something interesting to you and then just start 'scribbling'/typing. Then just see how it goes.

:)

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

Nah I wouldn't do that if I were you. You're already up bowls of wrath for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I would suggest writing something mythical/fantasy/made-up for your first try.

That way you can be creative and not have to do much research at all because your characters and their abilities are made up by you.
And the story could be a comedy, or horror, or drama, or all tree mixed in together.

You could even post chapters you have written here in a thread, and others here could critique it for grammar or contradictions, etc.
They could even suggest a better way to say something or approach a scene.

If nothing else, it could be fun and a learning experience for all involved.
Good advice, and thanks to Lon also !!! I need to get excited about something and I will have more freedom to try writing soon. I have an idea for a sci-fi story, but I don't know if I should try typing everything or actually writing in cursive, LOL. I type with one finger

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
both processes have their advantages

word processes is a heckuva lot easier to edit, once you're used to it

longhand makes you think it about more thoroughly before putting it on paper

Arthur Brain

Good advice, and thanks to Lon also !!! I need to get excited about something and I will have more freedom to try writing soon. I have an idea for a sci-fi story, but I don't know if I should try typing everything or actually writing in cursive, LOL. I type with one finger

I think typing or word processing is better for convenience. You can save your work and edit a lot faster and easier than actually writing it out but that's just me. You'll find your typing speed will increase the more practice you have with a keyboard as well.

Lon

The advice on the writers board: Whatever helps the flow of your thoughts the most. If you are going to publish, retyping is necessary anyway. If your thoughts flow better writing, write. If typing, type. I do both. Typing does make it easier 'for me' because it is easier to keep it all in one place. Paper? Everywhere, but a journal helped. Some writing assignments ask you to use paper to 'bubble' thoughts. It is basically free thought and then circling and drawing lines between main and subordinate thoughts and help you set up a flow chart of events for story (or even for tech papers). Short answer: Do what helps you the most, especially at first. It sounds to me that typing might be more of a distraction, whereas typing latter would help you organize and refine those thoughts. If that's true, grab a couple of notebooks/journals. One for ideas, another for working on a project or two. Also, since you are doing devotions anyway, start journaling those as a writing prompt too. Another rule the writers bbs gave was "you learn to write by writing so write." those daily prompts helped me a lot to free-flow my thoughts and creativity.

Another idea: Get an Mp3 or tape recorder. "Hearing" how you write or just recording ideas would help you remember them as well as help you write with a natural sounding flow.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have an idea for a sci-fi story,
What's the basic idea, and maybe some of us can embellish on the idea.

Do you want the story to be mysterious, or a comedy, or a shoot 'em up, ?????
Murder mysteries are always a crowd pleaser.

A sy-fy murder mystery!

but I don't know if I should try typing everything or actually writing in cursive, LOL. I type with one finger
You would have to type it out anyway, if you ever want to send the transcript to a publisher.
And it will make it much easier if you use a word processor. That way, if you should happen to change your mind about a name of a character or town in your book, a word processor can replace one name for another throughout the whole book with one click.