Serious computer parts sticker shock coming

Gary K

Banned
This isn't news. This is history. I'm guessing Tyler Durden isn't a computer buff.
No. This is Tyler saying there is massive price increases coming down the line. The inflation from all the money printing and supply chain interruptions due to lock downs is beginning to make itself felt. What is coming will make what's happened up to now seem small in comparison.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
As someone who's in the middle of trying to build a new gaming PC, I've been aware of this for a few months now.

Heck, it's so bad that even the automobile industry is being affected, and soon the mobile phone industry will be too.

chair

Apparently you think that supply and demand work in a vacuum.
Of course they don't. But there isn't anything nefarious about what is happening with semiconductors today. Just errors in projecting needs, along with (recently) some plant failures.

Hilltrot

No. This is Tyler saying there is massive price increases coming down the line. The inflation from all the money printing and supply chain interruptions due to lock downs is beginning to make itself felt. What is coming will make what's happened up to now seem small in comparison.
Lockdowns have very little to do with it.

Mining has become huge again and that is slamming everything excepts SSDs which you can get for a song. That and the Xbox and Playstation launches haven't helped. Car manufacturers are having problems because they were stupid and never bothered to invest in chip manufacture -they stopped their orders during lull in car sales and now they are at the back of the line.

Of course they don't. But there isn't anything nefarious about what is happening with semiconductors today. Just errors in projecting needs, along with (recently) some plant failures.
No one said there was something nefarious going on.

Gary K

Banned
Lockdowns have very little to do with it.

Mining has become huge again and that is slamming everything excepts SSDs which you can get for a song. That and the Xbox and Playstation launches haven't helped. Car manufacturers are having problems because they were stupid and never bothered to invest in chip manufacture -they stopped their orders during lull in car sales and now they are at the back of the line.

No one said there was something nefarious going on.
Really? Look at manufacturing shortages throughout multiple industries and tell me lockdowns had nothing to do with it.

• “Things are now out of control. Everything is a mess, and we are seeing wide-scale shortages.” (Electrical Equipment, Appliances & Components)
  • “Supply chains are depleted; inventories up and down the supply chain are empty. Lead times increasing, prices increasing, [and] demand increasing. Deep freeze in the Gulf Coast expected to extend duration of shortages.” (Chemical Products)
  • “The coronavirus [COVID-19] pandemic is affecting us in terms of getting material to build from local and our overseas third- and fourth-tier suppliers. Suppliers are complaining of [a lack of] available resources [people] for manufacturing, creating major delivery issues.” (Computer & Electronic Products)
  • “We have seen our new-order log increase by 40 percent over the last two months. We are overloaded with orders and do not have the personnel to get product out the door on schedule.” (Primary Metals)
  • “A sense of urgency is being felt regarding new orders. Customers are giving an impression that a presence of stability is forthcoming and order flow is increasing.” (Textile Mills)
  • “Prices are rising so rapidly that many are wondering if [the situation] is sustainable. Shortages have the industry concerned for supply going forward, at least deep into the second quarter.” (Wood Products)
  • “We have experienced a higher rate of delinquent shipments from our ingredient suppliers in the last month. We are still struggling keeping our production lines fully manned. We anticipate a fast and large order surge in the food-service sector as restaurants open back up.” (Food, Beverage & Tobacco Products)
  • “Steel prices have increased significantly in recent months, driving costs up from our suppliers and on proposals for new work that we are bidding. In addition, the tariffs and anti-dumping fees/penalties incurred by international mills/suppliers are being passed on to us.” (Transportation Equipment)

This quote is a direct quote from ISM. I copied it from ZeroHedge. Go to the link in the ZeroHedge article and you'll find this same quote on the ISM website. ISM is the Institute for Supply Management. Notice that the coronavirus caused problems are the cause of most of the shortages.

chair

Electronic chips mostly come from Asian countries, like Taiwan, Korea and China, which have not been affected by Covid that badly, and have not had many lockdowns (China did at first, but that was months ago). Maybe you can try to blame it on masks instead?

Gary K

Banned
Electronic chips mostly come from Asian countries, like Taiwan, Korea and China, which have not been affected by Covid that badly, and have not had many lockdowns (China did at first, but that was months ago). Maybe you can try to blame it on masks instead?
As usual you are demonstrating your reading comprehension problems.

“The coronavirus [COVID-19] pandemic is affecting us in terms of getting material to build from local and our overseas third- and fourth-tier suppliers. Suppliers are complaining of [a lack of] available resources [people] for manufacturing, creating major delivery issues.” (Computer & Electronic Products)

Yeah, that's just me saying this. No one else. The computer and electronics industry doesn't know what's going on inside its own industry. They don't have a clue. Only you and Hiltrot know what's happening inside that industry. Yeah, I mean who could ever think that lock downs would have anything to do with lack of available people to work in those suppliers. ****rolls eyes****

chair

Yeah, that's just me saying this. No one else. The computer and electronics industry doesn't know what's going on inside its own industry. They don't have a clue. Only you and Hiltrot know what's happening inside that industry. Yeah, I mean who could ever think that lock downs would have anything to do with lack of available people to work in those suppliers. ****rolls eyes****
I happen to work in the semiconductor industry.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

I recommend you watch the video above that I posted. Currently, the issue isn't a "lack of supply," it's "extremely high demand."

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

The lockdowns have had a huge effect on the electronics industry, but I recommend you watch the video above that I posted. Currently, the issue isn't a "lack of supply," it's "extremely high demand."

chair

I recommend you watch the video above that I posted. Currently, the issue isn't a "lack of supply," it's "extremely high demand."
It's high demand, along with poor projections (in the case of the automobile industry).
If you want to see where lockdowns have really hurt- look to the tourist industry, hotels, restaurants and the like.

Gary K

Banned
When you're told our economies have come back to 95% of what they were pre-coronavirus accepting the assertion without evidence is nothing more than being a sheeple.

Our banking system is on the verge of a collapse. The Fed has been pouring money into it since September 2019 to keep it from collapsing completely. Is that a healthy economy? Filing for new unemployment claims has only been below 3/4 of a million new applicants weekly for 10 weeks since the week of 3/21/2020, and then it was still above 700,000 per week. Is that a healthy economy? Looks to me like economic destruction is still going full bore. And remember, that anyone who has gone 27 weeks on unemployment no longer counts as being unemployed. The government doesn't count them beginning the 28th week. They are not people as far as the government is concerned.

The url above won't display the data I set it to display. To see that data use the following url and enter two dates. The top one will be 2020 and the bottom one 2021. https://oui.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims.asp

Back in 1994 the government stopped counting long term unemployed people in the unemployment reports. For those of you who were working back then and remember those days here's a chart that uses the pre-1994 algorithm for computing the unemployment rate today. It's above 25%.

Our published public debt is now at almost 140% of our GDP. That's similar to, but greater than, our debt to gdp ratio after WWII, but now we have a government busy destroying jobs and businesses rather than what happened after WWII when job and wage growth exploded. Then we lowered our debt ratio using two factors: increasing GDP and paying down debt. Now we are still increasing it destroying businesses. Hello, Greece, here we come.

The url above won't display the data. The following url will work if the first date is set to 2020 and the second to 2021.
ttps://oui.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims.asp
T
he following chart accounts for the amount of real inflation as well as a few other factors in figuring the GDP growth or reduction.

All the numbers say our economy is nothing like it used to be so when someone says some anonymous individuals say our economy is almost back to where it was you better take a look at the numbers. Our government does nothing but lie to us and they use a lot of different sources to spread the lies.

Last edited by a moderator: