seemingly contradicting scripture passages

whatever67

There is the scripture about not repeating prayers as the pagans do

Then there is the psg that would contradict that one, the parable Jesus told about the widow who kept pestering the judge to give her justice, and he, not fearing God nor man, finally nonetheless gave her what she wanted.

then there is Thessalonians that says to pray unceasingly

Whoever says the Bible is easily understood by just about anyone, well, probably doesn't know the Bible very well

:think::think:

Reactions: Lon

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Then there is the psg that would contradict that one, the parable Jesus told about the widow who kept pestering the judge to give her justice, and he, not fearing God nor man, finally nonetheless gave her what she wanted.

Whoever says the Bible is easily understood by just about anyone, well, probably doesn't know the Bible very well

Don't repeat vain babblings is what it means, yes pray unceasingly, but read everything in context of the chapters around it. It's easy to understand. I think at this point in your life you're ready for a King James Bible - simple english and to the point. I only use KJV.

Matthew 6:7 KJV -

commonsense

I think at this point in your life you should realize that the bible was written by dozens of authors with different perspectives, different histories, different points of view, and yes different theologies. That's the simple explanation for the hundreds of discrepancies in the bible. Tranquility.

Epoisses

The bible is one gigantic contradiction! That's why we need the Spirit to guide us. And that's the Holy Spirit not the spirit of wickedness in high places.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

The poor widow did not have beads to count the Ave Marias and Pater Nosters off on....see the difference?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I think at this point in your life you should realize that the bible was written by dozens of authors with different perspectives, different histories, different points of view, and yes different theologies. That's the simple explanation for the hundreds of discrepancies in the bible. Tranquility.

Could you jot down one or two DOCTRINAL discrepancies for us? let's see if they stack up

Bradley D

I believe that Luke 18:1-8 and the parable of the widow expresses earnest prayer. There is babbling prayer where one can rattle off memorized prayer, but not really concentrate on what they are saying. The widow was earnest. Jesus wanted to know upon His return would He find earnest Christians.

"Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8).

God's Truth

We are not to have memorized repeated prayers.
That doesn't mean we cannot repeatedly ask for something.
To pray without ceasing is about staying in tune with the Holy Spirit living inside you.

6days

Yes...dozens of authors with different perspectives, different histories, different points of view,...but all totally consistent internally... and externally. There are no contradictions in God's Word.

Stuu

1 Timothy 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

1 Chronicles 1:11:1 Adam, Sheth, Enosh,
1:2 Kenan, Mahalaleel, Jered,
1:3 Henoch, Methuselah, Lamech,

Genesis 10:1 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.,
10:2 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.
10:3 And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.
10:4 And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.
10:5 By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.
10:6 And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan.
10:7 And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtechah: and the sons of Raamah; Sheba, and Dedan.
10:8 And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.
10:9 He was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD
10:10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.
10:11 Out of that land went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh, and the city Rehoboth, and Calah,
10:12 And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city.
10:13 And Mizraim begat Ludim, and Anamim, and Lehabim, and Naphtuhim,
10:14 And Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (out of whom came Philistim,) and Caphtorim.
10:15 And Canaan begat Sidon his first born, and Heth,
10:16 And the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgasite,
10:17 And the Hivite, and the Arkite, and the Sinite,
10:18 And the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite: and afterward were the families of the Canaanites spread abroad.
10:19 And the border of the Canaanites was from Sidon, as thou comest to Gerar, unto Gaza; as thou goest, unto Sodom, and Gomorrah, and Admah, and Zeboim, even unto Lasha.
10:20 These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.
10:21 Unto Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber, the brother of Japheth the elder, even to him were children born.
10:22 The children of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram.
10:23 And the children of Aram; Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Mash.
10:24 And Arphaxad begat Salah; and Salah begat Eber.
10:25 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.
10:26 And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah,
10:27 And Hadoram, and Uzal, and Diklah,
10:28 And Obal, and Abimael, and Sheba,
10:29 And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan.
10:30 And their dwelling was from Mesha, as thou goest unto Sephar a mount of the east.

Matthew 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
1:2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;
1:3 And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram;
1:4 And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon;
1:5 And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;
1:6 And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias;
1:7 And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa;
1:8 And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias;
1:9 And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias;
1:10 And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias;
1:11 And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon:
1:12 And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel and Salathiel begat Zorobabel;
1:13 And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;
1:14 And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud;
1:15 And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob;
1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

The writer of Luke does it backwards:

Luke 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
3:24 Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,
3:25 Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,
3:26 Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,
3:27 Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,
3:28 Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,
3:29 Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,
3:30 Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,
3:31 Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
3:32 Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,
3:33 Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,
3:34 Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,
3:35 Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,
3:36 Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,
3:37 Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Stuart

Epoisses

I believe that Luke 18:1-8 and the parable of the widow expresses earnest prayer. There is babbling prayer where one can rattle off memorized prayer, but not really concentrate on what they are saying. The widow was earnest. Jesus wanted to know upon His return would He find earnest Christians.

"Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8).

Earnest is not the same as faith. The Roman centurion who was commended for his faith simply said 'speak the word only, Lord and my servant will be healed'. He believed in Jesus and trusted his word. No endless, vain pleading.

commonsense

Could you jot down one or two DOCTRINAL discrepancies for us? let's see if they stack up
Sure, give me a chance and I'll do that for you...but let's face it- with like 1200 different denominations I'm sure Christians themselves will provide me with plenty of doctrinal disputes.

6days

commonsense said:
6days said:
Yes...dozens of authors with different perspectives, different histories, different points of view,...but all totally consistent internally... and externally. There are no contradictions in God's Word.
Really?...
Yup...Really!

Reactions: Lon

Lon

Sure, give me a chance and I'll do that for you...but let's face it- with like 1200 different denominations I'm sure Christians themselves will provide me with plenty of doctrinal disputes.
Sadly, I've done this for you in the past. You are a bad record with a major etched scratch problem called 'die-hard-skeptic-regardless.'
It always skips to the end with a terrible noise missing all the tracks. I don't like the way you play records....or theology.

There are only 7 -9 denominations with slight differences that make up for your large affiliations. Don't mistake the two (but you will.....again).

Dude. This is your personality and choice problem.

You likely don't remember me or having this conversation. You'll likely forget again. I don't try to chew my cabbage twice.

Last edited:

Lon

Or English, apparently. Is that it? Skeptics, agnostics, and atheists just attained terribly in school? :think: :think:
(Seriously, THINK! this is a waste of my intellectual prowess and time)

Lon

1 Timothy 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

Stuart
Kind of like this thread, no? I'm sure the emphasis and implication is lost on you as well :(

Last edited:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Why do you worry about denominations? just point out where the bible contradicts itself doctrinally

commonsense

Why do you worry about denominations? just point out where the bible contradicts itself doctrinally
Sure...which gospel do you preach?

The gospel of the kingdom
the gospel of the circumcision
the gospel of the uncircumcision
the gospel of God
the gospel of Christ
the gospel of the grace of God
the everlasting gospel

commonsense

"There are only 7 -9 denominations with slight differences that make up for your large affiliations. Don't mistake the two (but you will.....again)." Lon

Overlooking your dismissive condescension, (in your complete post), with only slight differences in theology, I suppose you would have no problem worshipping in a Baptist church one Sunday, a Catholic next, after that a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness church the week after that? Maybe a Pentacostal? After all, they're separated by only slight differences. I come to the conclusion that you're unconcerned or unaware of the different theologies based on the Bible.
Maybe you should study up....

Last edited: