Saturn

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
On the north pole of the planet Saturn is this strange and enormous hexagonal feature:

PIA20513_-_Basking_in_Light.jpg

NASA discovered this oddity in the early 1980s.

But what seems extra strange to me is what I found in a mid-19th century astronomy book:

The Jewish and Arabian writers of the middle ages inform us that the Chaldeans gave to each planet a certain symbol denoting its quality; as a hexagon to Saturn, a triangle to Jupiter, a square to the sun, and the like...

It seems pretty amazing that thousands of years ago the ancients already for some reason associated Saturn with a hexagon, long before modern astronomy technology advancements enabled/prompted the late 20th century discovery of the unique feature of a giant hexagon on the surface of Saturn. Personally, I don't really have any idea of what might reasonably made of the (I think, striking) coincidence, and I figured I'd see if anyone here might have something interesting to say about it. I don't say it is absolutely necessary that the polar hexagon of Saturn be significantly connected with the fact of the hexagon-Saturn association in the minds of the ancients; but at the same time, it seems difficult to imagine that no connection inheres, and that it is merely an insignificant coincidence.