ECT Salvation Obtained by Faith Only

way 2 go

I agree with you, we are not saved by good works. But do you accept what the bible teaches in Heb 5:9, that Jesus saves the ones not who have faith in him but the ones that have faith and obey him.

Based on Hebrews 5:9 is salvation based on faith alone or by obedience in Jesus?

(Hebrews 5:9) "...[Jesus] became responsible for everlasting salvation to all those obeying him..."
coming from the Mid Acts Dispensation my salvation is not based on
obeying

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

how long do you have to obey?
do you lose your salvation if you disobey ?
what is it you have to obey?

here is what used to happen to people who disobeyed

Eze 18:24 But when a righteous person turns away from his righteousness and does injustice and does the same abominations that the wicked person does, shall he live? None of the righteous deeds that he has done shall be remembered; for the treachery of which he is guilty and the sin he has committed, for them he shall die.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
According to this passage all who "believe" in the Lord Jesus have eternal life:

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life" (Jn.3:14-15; NASB).​

With these words in view how can anyone argue that salvation is not obtained by faith and faith alone?

By grace through faith, and that not yourselves but it is the gift of God.....lest Jeryboo should boast in God's presence that the faith was his.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
That verse doesn't say "without works" and the next verse says:
10For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Many do not the good works which God prepared beforehand for them to do

...they do their own works.

When asked about works the Master of all said "this IS the work of God..that ye BELIEVE on Him who God hath sent"

beloved57

According to this passage all who "believe" in the Lord Jesus have eternal life:

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life" (Jn.3:14-15; NASB).​

With these words in view how can anyone argue that salvation is not obtained by faith and faith alone?

Thats True, one must have Eternal Life in order to believe ! One spiritually dead in sin cannot believe, for Faith is a fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22 !

NWL

coming from the Mid Acts Dispensation my salvation is not based on
obeying

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

here is what used to happen to people who disobeyed

Eze 18:24 But when a righteous person turns away from his righteousness and does injustice and does the same abominations that the wicked person does, shall he live? None of the righteous deeds that he has done shall be remembered; for the treachery of which he is guilty and the sin he has committed, for them he shall die.

(Eph 2:8) "...For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God..."

Why do you simply fight scripture with scripture? I find it puzzling when people simply throw another scripture into the groundwork's without first trying to explain the scripture which seems to disagree with them.

Explain why Heb 5:9 states that Jesus gives salvation to those who obey? Throwing Eph 2:8 doesn't excuse Heb 5:9.

Eph 2:8 doesn't say all you need to be saved is have faith, that's an assumption. For example If someone with with a deadly but curable disease came and said "how can I become well" and you told them "go to the hospital", that "going to the hospital" is the first step which would lead being saved/cured. However does the term "go to the hospital" imply that all you need to do is go to the hospital and stand there, not even seeing a doctor or nurse? Of course not! Going to the hospital implies that there is much more involved, you must take medicine, go for check ups, not eat certain foods or do certain activities, there's a whole lot involved instead of just standing around in the hospital lobby expecting to be cured by doing nothing.

Likewise we have verses like Eph 2:8 which state "you must have faith to be saved". But to claim that the verse is literally saying you only need faith to be saved is wrong, especially when we have more scriptures which states that people are saved by obedience also. When we are told to "have faith" it should go without saying that there is much more involved. Can a Man who's a pedophile, a rapist, a drunk, a adulterator, a thief and murder who has faith in Jesus but carries on to practice those things really be saved if he doesn't stop? According to your faith only idea he can, because apparently he doesn't need to obey at all, but simply have faith.

Verse after verse literally say that we must obey the commands of Jesus for salvation but people such as yourself simply ignore them and throw verses such as Eph 2:8 which doesn't even prove anything as you're ignoring context. For example Jesus commanded the apsotle regarding mankind to teach "them to obey everything I have commanded you", how do you excuse that? Jesus said that not everyone who says "‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of God will, how do you excuse that? How do you excuse Heb 5:9?

I see a lot of talking but not a lot of explaining.

how long do you have to obey?
do you lose your salvation if you disobey ?
what is it you have to obey?

I'll let scripture answer your questions.

Q. How long do you have to obey?
A. "...the one who has endured to the end will be saved..." (Matt 24:13)

Q.Do you lose your salvation if you disobey?
A. "...at the revelation of the Lord Jesus in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus..." (2 Thess 1:8)

Q. What is it you have to obey?
A. Matthew 28:19, Romans 10:10, John 13:34 etc

Now lets see if you answer and explain what I've asked.

Last edited:

turbosixx

Many do not the good works which God prepared beforehand for them to do

...they do their own works.

When asked about works the Master of all said "this IS the work of God..that ye BELIEVE on Him who God hath sent"

What does it mean to believe based on scripture?

turbosixx

(Eph 2:8) "...For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God..."

Why do you simply fight scripture with scripture? I find it puzzling when people simply throw another scripture into the groundwork's without first trying to explain the scripture which seems to disagree with them.

Explain why Heb 5:9 states that Jesus gives salvation to those who obey? Throwing Eph 2:8 doesn't excuse Heb 5:9.

Eph 2:8 doesn't say all you need to be saved is have faith, that's an assumption. For example If someone with with a deadly but curable disease came and said "how can I become well" and you told them "go to the hospital", that "going to the hospital" is the first step which would lead being saved/cured. However does the term "go to the hospital" imply that all you need to do is go to the hospital and stand there, not even seeing a doctor or nurse? Of course not! Going to the hospital implies that there is much more involved, you must take medicine, go for check ups, not eat certain foods or do certain activities, there's a whole lot involved instead of just standing around in the hospital lobby expecting to be cured by doing nothing.

Likewise we have verses like Eph 2:8 which state "you must have faith to be saved". But to claim that the verse is literally saying you only need faith to be saved is wrong, especially when we have more scriptures which states that people are saved by obedience also. When we are told to "have faith" it should go without saying that there is much more involved. Can a Man who's a pedophile, a rapist, a drunk, a adulterator, a thief and murder who has faith in Jesus but carries on to practice those things really be saved if he doesn't stop? According to your faith only idea he can, because apparently he doesn't need to obey at all, but simply have faith.

Verse after verse literally say that we must obey the commands of Jesus for salvation but people such as yourself simply ignore them and throw verses such as Eph 2:8 which doesn't even prove anything as you're ignoring context. For example Jesus commanded the apsotle regarding mankind to teach "them to obey everything I have commanded you", how do you excuse that? Jesus said that not everyone who says "‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of God will, how do you excuse that? How do you excuse Heb 5:9?

A. "...at the revelation of the Lord Jesus in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus..." (2 The 1:8)

Good post. :thumb:

turbosixx

"based" on scripture is the villain in this piece.

Mormonism can be said to be based on scripture

....BELIEVE the scripture

I agree; many people base false teachings on scripture but if we examine closely we will see that something has been added or ignored. Scripture is the only thing I will believe, what else can I trust?

I agree we have to believe but what exactly does that mean. What I see in scripture is all saved will be believers but not all believers will be saved.

Would you say these men, if they continued as they are, were saved?
John 12:42 Nevertheless many even of the rulers believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they were not confessing Him, for fear that they would be put out of the synagogue; 43 for they loved the approval of me rather than the approval of God.
It’s clear they believed in Jesus but since they valued men’s approval more than God's, they were not saved.

Another example I see in scripture. Out of all those who heard the gospel, who were added but those who were baptized which tells me those are the believers. Others might have believed as the men in Jn. 12, but for whatever reason chose not to be baptized.
Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

I understand that reasoning to agree with what Jesus said.
Mark 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

turbosixx

I would be very slow indeed to draw the conclusion that they were not saved.

It's definitely not for me to judge them but I believe it was recorded for our learning.

Matt. 10:32 "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

way 2 go

told you in the 1st sentence
"coming from the Mid Acts Dispensation position"
simplest answer
Jesus and the writer of Hebrews were not ministering to gentiles
as Paul was.

2 ministries 1 to Jews 1 to gentiles

Gal 2:7 On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised

by faith into grace Rom 11:6

Likewise we have verses like Eph 2:8 which state "you must have faith to be saved". But to claim that the verse is literally saying you only need faith to be saved is wrong, especially when we have more scriptures which states that people are saved by obedience also.
Rom 4:2
I guess you have something to boast about

When we are told to "have faith" it should go without saying that there is much more involved. Can a Man who's a pedophile, a rapist, a drunk, a adulterator, a thief and murder who has faith in Jesus but carries on to practice those things really be saved if he doesn't stop? According to your faith only idea he can, because apparently he doesn't need to obey at all, but simply have faith.
grace message always gets:

Rom_6:1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?

legalist never get asked that :chuckle:

your ignoring context and not rightly dividing the word of God

you put the whole new testament into a blender and interpret it
by your legalist view

A. "...at the revelation of the Lord Jesus in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus..." (2 Thess 1:8)
so if you sin just before you die
Eze 18:24

Rom 4:5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

Mid Acts Dispensation link basics