ECT Roman Catholic Doctrines

Jerry Shugart

The righteousness that comes from Jesus, it is a righteousness that comes when we receive the Spirit and we are ONLY GIVEN the Spirit if we are chosen, accepted by Jesus. Jesus doesn't accept anyone on the sole reason of 'only believe and don't do anything'.

It is a righteousness of God which comes to all who believe.

But you don't believe!

You are going to be judged on your own righteousness and here is what the Bible says about your rightousness:

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away"
(Isa.64:6).​

You are in for a big disappointment because when you are judged you will go straight to hell because your own righteousness will not meet the standards of the LORD.

Jerry Shugart

So, how does one get symbolically baptized?

If you didn't notice I proved that being born again has nothing to do with submitting to the rite of water baptism because a person is born again by the gospel.

None of these points disproves infant baptism as legitimate.

Would you mind providing the simple evidence that demonstrates this point?

Cardinal John Henry Newman wrote that "the rulers of the Church from early times were prepared, should the occasion arise, to adopt, or imitate, or sanction the existing rites and customs of the populace, as well as the philosophy of the educated class...The use of temples, and these dedicated to particular saints, and ornamented on occasions with branches of trees; incense, lamps, and candles; votive offerings on recovery from illness; holy water; asylums; holydays and seasons, use of calendars, processions, blessings on the fields; sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure, the ring in marriage, turning to the East, images at a later date, perhaps the ecclesiastical chant, and the Kyrie Eleison, are all of pagan origin, and sanctified by their adoption into the Church" (John Henry Cardinal Newman, An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine [Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, Sixth Edition], 372-373)

Newman failed to mention that the early church also adopted the rite of water baptism as practiced in the Eleusinian Mysteries. The chief shrine of this mystery religion was at Eleusis, a city close to Athens. Edwin Hatch points out the changes which took place in the rite of water baptism not long after the Apostolic age had ended :

"The first point is the change of name.."

"(a) So early as the time of Justin Martyr we find a name given to baptism which comes straight from the Greek mysteries - the name 'enlightenment.' It came to be the constant technical term.

"(b) The name 'seal,' which also came from the mysteries and from some forms of foreign cult, was used partly of those who had passed the test and who were 'consignati,' as Tertullian calls them, partly of those who were actually sealed upon the forehead in sign of a new ownership.

"(c) The term 'musterion' is applied to baptism, and with it comes a whole series of technical terms unknown to the Apostolic Church, but well known to the mysteries, and explicable only through ideas and usages peculiar to them."
(Edwin Hatch, The Influence of Greek Ideas and Uses Upon the Christian Church [London: Williams and Norgate, 1897], 295-96).​

Sir Robert Anderson wrote that "The early corrupters of Christianity transferred to their new religion a rite with which their old religion had made them familiar, and this they described by the term which Holy Scripture provided. Nor was it confined to the Eleusinian mysteries. In 'Prescott's Conquest of Mexico' a description is given of the rite in use in that country when the Spaniards landed on its shores. The priestess midwife sprinkled water on the head of the infant, and then, after exorcising the unclean spirit (as does the Roman priest), she used these words: 'He now liveth anew and is born anew; now he is purified and cleansed.' And in his work on Buddhism Sir Monier Williams describes' a similar rite practised in Tibet and Mongolia. The child is baptized on the third or tenth day after birth. 'The priest consecrates the water, while candles and incense are burning. He then dips the child three times, blesses it, and gives it a name. It was not from Greece that these superstitious rites were derived. All had a common origin, and that origin is to be sought in the mysteries of ancient Babylon" (Sir Robert Anderson, The Church or the Bible? 125-26).

That explains how we know that the following passage is speaking about the church at Rome:

"And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH" (Rev.17:5).​

In the following verse we see that mystery Babylon sits on seven hills:

"This calls for a mind with wisdom. The seven heads are seven hills on which the woman sits"
(Rev.17:9).​

Here is a description of Rome:

"Seven Hills of Rome, group of hills on or about which the ancient city of Rome was built. The original city of Romulus was built upon Palatine Hill (Latin: Mons Palatinus). The other hills are the Capitoline, Quirinal, Viminal, Esquiline, Caelian, and Aventine (known respectively in Latin as the Mons Capitolinus, Mons Quirinalis, Mons Viminalis, Mons Esquilinus, Mons Caelius, and Mons Aventinus)" (The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica).

Do you really want to take a chance and imagine that the reference to the "seven hills" upon which Mystery Babylon sits is not Rome?

If so you will lose in a big way--eternal separation from God.

God's Truth

It is a righteousness of God which comes to all who believe.

But you don't believe!

There is no such thing as believe that you don't have to obey.

You are going to be judged on your own righteousness and here is what the Bible says about your rightousness:

I believe that Jesus' blood washes me clean and that he alone saves. So how in hell do you get that is about my righteousness?

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away"
(Isa.64:6).​
That scripture isn't about obeying God is filthy. You are ignorant. That scripture is about the Jews giving sin offerings but not really being sorry for their sins. They gave sin offerings because God commanded it---but they did it as God commanded, but they weren't really sorry. That is what made their offering filthy.
You are in for a big disappointment because when you are judged you will go straight to hell because your own righteousness will not meet the standards of the LORD.
How dumb of you to say I will go to hell for obeying Jesus. You are a worker for sure, and I am not saying you are a worker for God.

Jerry Shugart

How dumb of you to say I will go to hell for obeying Jesus.

I never said that and you know it.

What you are trying to do is to smear all people who not agree with your works salvation.

If anyone is dumb it is you because you just refuse to believe all the verses which demonstrate that the righteousness of God comes to all who believe!

God's Truth

So, since infants cannot have faith, repent, etc, then what happens when an infant passes?

Since they can't repent and believe, which is your criteria for receiving salvation, what happens to infants? Aborted babies?
Do you really think that aborted babies are to by baptized before their mothers abort them?

When is a person born?

Circumcision was how one was marked as being a member of the Abrahamic Covenant. When were those persons circumcised?
Baptism does not replace circumcision of the flesh.

Is baptism not the mark of being a member of the New Covenant?

No, it is not.

God's Truth

I never said that and you know it.

Of course you did.
Stop saying you did not.
What else are you going to say when you are ensnared by the devil? Are you going to say you said something wrong? No. You won't admit it, but wisdom is proved by her actions. You go against me because I preach obedience to Christ.

What you are trying to do is to smear all people who not agree with your works salvation.
You prove that you are the one who condemns and smears me.
You are the one who says to me that I am not saved.
If anyone is dumb it is you because you just refuse to believe all the verses which demonstrate that the righteousness of God comes to all who believe!
So Peter and James are idiots?

So we have to believe that we don't have to obey. That is the secret to salvation, and damnation to those who believe and obey? You deserve what you get.

Jerry Shugart

So Peter and James are idiots?

Peter:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you"
(1 Pet.1:23-25).​

James:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:18).​

Of course you know better than Peter because according to your ideas no one can be born again by the gospel alone.

You are the walking dead because you have not been born again by the gospel. Dead as a doorknob!

God's Truth

Peter:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you"
(1 Pet.1:23-25).​

James:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:18).​

Of course you know better than Peter because according to your ideas no one can be born again by the gospel alone.

You are the walking dead because you have not been born again by the gospel. Dead as a doorknob!

What in the world do you think you disproved? lol

God's Truth

Are you really this dense?

Or do you have a hidden agenda?

You said I don't believe that anyone could be born again by the gospel alone. The gospel is about believing we have to have faith in Jesus and repent of our sins. So you see you must be the dense one to think Paul taught everyone to believe and be condemned if you do something. Peter says unstable and ignorant people misunderstand Paul and then Peter warns us to obey; James says foolish people misunderstand and then James tells us to have faith and obedience.

jsanford108

Hi and that is your answer ??
Your entire argument is reliant upon a clarification that is never given or stated in Scripture. So, yes, my answer to your question, "where does it say infants are saved," is to counter question, where does it say they are not?

Romans 9:11 is speaking on the Covenant God promised to Abraham/Isaac/Jacob being fulfilled through children not yet conceived.

jsanford108

Do you really think that aborted babies are to by baptized before their mothers abort them?
Of course not. But that was not my point, nor my question.

Review my query: Since they can't repent and believe, which is your criteria for receiving salvation, what happens to infants? Aborted babies?

Baptism does not replace circumcision of the flesh.
I did not say that it did. I simply alluded to baptism being the new consecration method to enter into the New Covenant. I pointed to the logical support of infant baptism by posing two questions. Those being:
1.)When is a person born?
2.) Circumcision was how one was marked as being a member of the Abrahamic Covenant. When were those persons circumcised?

No, it is not.
Where/what is your refuting evidence for this claim?

jsanford108

If you didn't notice I proved that being born again has nothing to do with submitting to the rite of water baptism because a person is born again by the gospel.
Right. That is fine if that is your position. However, that disagrees with the Scripture, as evidenced in John 3:5.

Cardinal John Henry Newman wrote that "the rulers of the Church from early times were prepared, should the occasion arise, to adopt, or imitate, or sanction the existing rites and customs of the populace, as well as the philosophy of the educated class...The use of temples, and these dedicated to particular saints, and ornamented on occasions with branches of trees; incense, lamps, and candles; votive offerings on recovery from illness; holy water; asylums; holydays and seasons, use of calendars, processions, blessings on the fields; sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure, the ring in marriage, turning to the East, images at a later date, perhaps the ecclesiastical chant, and the Kyrie Eleison, are all of pagan origin, and sanctified by their adoption into the Church" (John Henry Cardinal Newman, An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine [Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, Sixth Edition], 372-373)

Newman failed to mention that the early church also adopted the rite of water baptism as practiced in the Eleusinian Mysteries.
So, your evidence for infant baptism being adopted from pagan practice is actually a lack of proof? A lack of evidence is not evidence. If this is your defense, it fails upon itself logically.

The chief shrine of this mystery religion was at Eleusis, a city close to Athens. Edwin Hatch points out the changes which took place in the rite of water baptism not long after the Apostolic age had ended :

"The first point is the change of name.."

"(a) So early as the time of Justin Martyr we find a name given to baptism which comes straight from the Greek mysteries - the name 'enlightenment.' It came to be the constant technical term.

"(b) The name 'seal,' which also came from the mysteries and from some forms of foreign cult, was used partly of those who had passed the test and who were 'consignati,' as Tertullian calls them, partly of those who were actually sealed upon the forehead in sign of a new ownership.

"(c) The term 'musterion' is applied to baptism, and with it comes a whole series of technical terms unknown to the Apostolic Church, but well known to the mysteries, and explicable only through ideas and usages peculiar to them."
(Edwin Hatch, The Influence of Greek Ideas and Uses Upon the Christian Church [London: Williams and Norgate, 1897], 295-96).​
There are several issues within your evidence here. Let us work through them.

First off, Edwin Hatch is not Catholic, nor an expert in any capacity, on the times of the Apostles. In fact, the entire book from which you quote, is based on his own ideas and lectures; not based on historical facts and evidence. Which is pretty easy to prove, when one simply examines historical practices of the earliest Christians.

Second, baptism was being practiced by John the Baptist. This predates the Apostles baptizing. Therefore, your inference that this practice was adopted from pagan practice is faulty.

Third, there is no evidence of these pagans practicing baptism, specifically, infant baptism.

Sir Robert Anderson wrote that "The early corrupters of Christianity transferred to their new religion a rite with which their old religion had made them familiar, and this they described by the term which Holy Scripture provided. Nor was it confined to the Eleusinian mysteries. In 'Prescott's Conquest of Mexico' a description is given of the rite in use in that country when the Spaniards landed on its shores. The priestess midwife sprinkled water on the head of the infant, and then, after exorcising the unclean spirit (as does the Roman priest), she used these words: 'He now liveth anew and is born anew; now he is purified and cleansed.' And in his work on Buddhism Sir Monier Williams describes' a similar rite practised in Tibet and Mongolia. The child is baptized on the third or tenth day after birth. 'The priest consecrates the water, while candles and incense are burning. He then dips the child three times, blesses it, and gives it a name. It was not from Greece that these superstitious rites were derived. All had a common origin, and that origin is to be sought in the mysteries of ancient Babylon" (Sir Robert Anderson, The Church or the Bible? 125-26).
More points:

Sir Robert Anderson is a noted anti-Catholic, whose reports are regarded as exaggerated or outright falsehoods (lies). One need to only examine actual history, the Bible, and other works to see this.

While I do not doubt his authentic passion, his conclusions were clouded by bias and a preference to falsehoods over truth. For example, his passionate painting of the Catholic Church as the Babylonian harlot. Simple historical analysis, combined with context and perspective of John, yields a different picture. As I will demonstrate below.

That explains how we know that the following passage is speaking about the church at Rome:

"And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH" (Rev.17:5).​

In the following verse we see that mystery Babylon sits on seven hills:

"This calls for a mind with wisdom. The seven heads are seven hills on which the woman sits"
(Rev.17:9).​

Here is a description of Rome:

"Seven Hills of Rome, group of hills on or about which the ancient city of Rome was built. The original city of Romulus was built upon Palatine Hill (Latin: Mons Palatinus). The other hills are the Capitoline, Quirinal, Viminal, Esquiline, Caelian, and Aventine (known respectively in Latin as the Mons Capitolinus, Mons Quirinalis, Mons Viminalis, Mons Esquilinus, Mons Caelius, and Mons Aventinus)" (The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica).

Do you really want to take a chance and imagine that the reference to the "seven hills" upon which Mystery Babylon sits is not Rome?

If so you will lose in a big way--eternal separation from God.
There are several things that R. Anderson has correct, and subsequently, yourself. Such as Rome being seated in seven hills. Good job.

But, let us consider the historical context and perspective of the time. At the time of John's authoring of the Apocalypse, Rome was the center of paganism, vices, debauchery, etc. Thus, any description of it was referenced as "Babylon." However, easy critical thinking demonstrates that this application was current to the time.

Beginning at the first verse of chapter 17, through verse six: The angel joins John to explain his vision. The imagery is evocative of the Old Testament: the great harlot recalls the cities of Tyre and Nineveh, which Isaiah and Nahum described as harlots (Isaiah 23:16-17, Nahum 3:4). As explained in 17:15, the "many waters" are the peoples ruled by the great harlot. Some commentators have interpreted this as a reference to their ultimate downfall, which would precipate the collapse of the ancient world.
The metaphor of prostitution is used in the Old Testament to refer to idolatry, as well as alliances with foreign powers. In the present case, the power and influence of Rome was practically universal, given the extent of the empire. It is called "Babylon" because Babylon was the prototype of cities hostile to God (Isaiah 21:9, Jeremiah 51:1-19). It is characterized by its wealth, immoral influence, and its horrendous crimes against the Christian martyrs (verse 6), who, according to Roman historian Tacitus, "were abused in various ways: they were covered with hides to be set upon by dogs, or nailed to crosses, or burned alive and used as torches to light up the darkness" (Annals, 15, 44). The figure of the great harlot, and the influence she wields, is also to be interpreted as referring to impurity.

For verses 7-15: The angel explains the meaning of the beast, its seven heads, and its ten horns, and then reveals the identity of the great harlot (verse 18). Yet, what is said is still enigmatic, in keeping with the style of apocalyptic texts, which are written in a kind of code to protect the writer from being sought and punished, sometimes to death.
The phrase "was, and is not" is a kind of counter and parody of "him who is and was and is to come." You would agree, no? It identifies the antichrist who is headed for perdition. Paul also calls him "the son of perdition" (2 Thessalonians 2:3). When it speaks of the beast reappearing, this refers, according to some historical commentators, to the legend about Nero returning at the head of the Parthians to avenge himself on his enemies in Rome. However, what the sacred writer really means is that the beast, which had disappeared, will return to wage war on Christians.

Now, a paranoid conspiracy theorist, ignorant of history, context, and Scripture, could easily imply that this all points to the Catholic Church. But what they will always fail to explain is why the Catholic Church was run by the Apostles and their successors, and why these disciples suddenly became apostate (of course, there is no evidence of this; just mere anti-history, anti-Catholic conjecture).

But let us continue in our examining of the passage, picking up with verse 9, through 15. In verse 9, John warns the reader that what he is writing has a deeper, hidden meaning, rich in wisdom. He is inviting the reader to discern an implicit, concealed meaning: the harlot is the current city of Rome (current to his time).
The beast's seven heads also stand for seven kings. From what the author states, we can deduce that he is referring to the seven emperors. The sixth, Domitian, is alive when John authored the text. The first five would be Caligula (37-41 AD), Claudius (41-54 AD), Nero (54-68 AD), Vespasian (69-78 AD), and Titus (79-81 AD), with Nerva (96-98 AD) as the seventh. (How does Sir Anderson explain this in an anti-Catholic manner?) The beast is number eight, though it can be taken as one of the seven, for it will be as cruel as one of them; Nero. The ten kings stand for those whom Rome established as kings in the nations it conquered, rulers subject to the emperor. (Again, how does Sir Anderson explain this one away?)

The description of Christ as the Lamb forms a contrast here with the beast. Through His death and resurrection, Christ has been made King and Lord (thus, He is God) of the universe, and already truly rules the hearts of Christians. Therefore, His victory over the powers of evil, no matter how strong they be, is assured. This would align with Rome becoming Christian, and the Church being established as head in Rome.

In closing, do you really want to go against history, reason, logic, and Christ Himself, by clinging to a faulty ideology? History, context, logic, and above all, the Scripture, disprove Sir Anderson, and your subsequent claims against the Church.

Jerry Shugart

In closing, do you really want to go against history, reason, logic, and Christ Himself, by clinging to a faulty ideology? History, context, logic, and above all, the Scripture, disprove Sir Anderson, and your subsequent claims against the Church.

Rome teaches that a person is not saved until he believes and is baptized with water.

But the Scriptures refute that idea. Here is how Paul answered the question as to how a person can be saved:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:30-31).​

Why should we believe what Rome says since Paul refutes their teaching? He also writes the following:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth" (Ro.1:16).​

Rome says that the gospel is not the power of God unto salvation to every one who believes because no one is saved until they believe and are baptized in water.

I believe what Paul said but you believe what Rome says!

jsanford108

Rome teaches that a person is not saved until he believes and is baptized with water.
Generally, yes; a person only recieves salvation by being baptized and having faith in Christ.

However, a person can be saved outside of this. Rome teaches both of these truths.

Rome says that the gospel is not the power of God unto salvation to every one who believes because no one is saved until they believe and are baptized in water.
That is a false statement. Unless, of course, you can prove it with a Catechism quote.

As stated before, the Church teaches the two truths I provided above.

But the Scriptures refute that idea. Here is how Paul answered the question as to how a person can be saved:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:30-31).​

Why should we believe what Rome says since Paul refutes their teaching? He also writes the following:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth" (Ro.1:16).​
I believe what Paul said but you believe what Rome says!
Paul was baptized. (Acts 9)

What about Acts 2:38? What about Matthew 28:19? Christ, and subsequently Peter, both say that we are to be baptized for our salvation. But, if you want to deny Christ, then that is your decision.

Jerry Shugart

That is a false statement. Unless, of course, you can prove it with a Catechism quote.

Here is what I said again:

What is false about it? Paul says that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes.

So let me ask you a question. If a person believes and does not get water baptized is he saved according to Rome?

Of course the answer is "no," he is not saved then. However, that answer directly contradicts Paul's words here:

Rome teaches that the gospel is not the power of God unto salvation to believers because no one is saved until they believe and are baptized with water.

Of course you will believe anything that you want but just remember that it is those who "believe God" who are saved.

jsanford108

Here is what I said again:

What is false about it? Paul says that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes.

So let me ask you a question. If a person believes and does not get water baptized is he saved according to Rome?
He can receive salvation, by the grace of God.

Of course the answer is "no," he is not saved then. However, that answer directly contradicts Paul's words here:

Rome teaches that the gospel is not the power of God unto salvation to believers because no one is saved until they believe and are baptized with water.
You seem to ignore all the evidence that is mounted against you.

Of course you will believe anything that you want but just remember that it is those who "believe God" who are saved.
Right. So, believing God would thus lead to believing and obeying that which was taught by Jesus and the Apostles. Jesus and the Apostles taught that we are to be baptized. Therefore, belief in God will lead to obedience to the command to be baptized.

But, if you don't believe that you need to be baptized, then you don't believe that which the Apostles taught. And remember, "Who ever hears you, hears me." So, denying a teaching and a call to obedience by the Apostles, and Christ, is denial of that which God has ordained.