"Richard Sackler says his family and Purdue Pharma are not to blame for US opioid crisis"

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
They're not.

The opioid crisis is the fault of law enforcement shutting down the "pill mill" doctors who liberally prescribed Purdue Pharma's products. These MDs moved so much OxyContin that whenever a single one of them was put out of business, there was a sudden enormous demand for opioids in their territory, that could only be supplied by the black market, and this is when fatalities began in earnest.

Oxy is a controlled-release opioid produced in modern factories, and even if the 'pill mill' doctors were irresponsible, they still were doctors, and the situation went from liberal scripts written by real doctors and filled by real pharmacists, to black market heroin spiked with fentanyl by drug dealers.

I don't think anybody wants people hooked on opioids, but if it's going to be happening anyway, I'd just assume they'd be under a real doctor's supervision, using high quality opioids made in state of the art factories, rather than what we've got now.

I could be wrong.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Oxy is a controlled-release opioid produced in modern factories, and even if the 'pill mill' doctors were irresponsible, they still were doctors, and the situation went from liberal scripts written by real doctors and filled by real pharmacists, to black market heroin spiked with fentanyl by drug dealers.
I don't think anybody wants people hooked on opioids, but if it's going to be happening anyway, I'd just assume they'd be under a real doctor's supervision, using high quality opioids made in state of the art factories, rather than what we've got now.
Supra.

Gary K

Banned
I happen to agree that the Sacklers are a scapegoat for much larger issues. Why is drug addiction so widespread? That surely can't be blamed on the Sacklers as this has been going on for quite a few decades. It has far more to do with the spiritual state of our nation. It is that which causes so much depression and hopelessness which pushes so many people to turn to drugs as their escape. Materialism cannot replace the love of God in the hearts of mankind and that leaves a huge hole the the hearts of people.The Sacklers are evidence of this, not the cause of it.

The drug addiction is symptomatic of our rush to national suicide as foretold by John Adams.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Probably shared this before but couple years ago when I broke my back and a couple ribs, I was prescribed a high dose opiate for pain management. It didn't work for me at all.

At the same time I was prescribed medium dose benzodiazepines, probably Valium, for a muscle relaxant. It turned out to be very effective for pain management. And I could very much see getting addicted to it.

Gary K

Banned
Probably shared this before but couple years ago when I broke my back and a couple ribs, I was prescribed a high dose opiate for pain management. It didn't work for me at all.

At the same time I was prescribed medium dose benzodiazepines, probably Valium, for a muscle relaxant. It turned out to be very effective for pain management. And I could very much see getting addicted to it.
Opiates, in my book, aren't all that great a pain killer.

I used to get headaches so bad that they were unbearable. My left eye would turn completely red and tears would run from that eye uncontrollably. It felt like someone was jabbing an ice pick into my eye wiggling it around for 10-12 hours at a time. The pain was excruciating and turned my face gray, and I dealt with them for almost twenty years before a doctor finally figured out what was causing them. What he prescribed was butalbital and if I took a couple of them as soon as I felt one coming on it would kill the headaches. After taking that as needed for a couple of years the headaches have disappeared and not come back.

Opiates were like peeing on a forest fire. They had no effect whatsoever but that was all doctors offered me for almost 20 years. I'd tell them they didn't work and all they did was shrug their shoulders. They didn't have a clue what the problem was and showed no interest in finding out. That was the beginning of my distrust of the medical profession.