Reasoning and Common Sense Theology

Robert Pate

Banned
Truth is learned by reasoning and common sense.

Isaiah said, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be like crimson, they shall be as wool" Isaiah 1:18.

If the scripture says that the Lord is long-suffering toward us and is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance, 2 Peter 3:9. Then should we not believe that God is just and Merciful? Common sense should tell us that with very little reasoning.

If the scripture says that God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, John 3:16. Then should we not believe that God wants ALL MEN to be saved and that he is not willing that any should perish?

If Isaiah said that our sins can be as white as snow. Then should we not believe that God has provided a way for our sins to be made as white as snow? Reasoning and common sense tells us that God can make our sins as white as snow.

If the scripture says that Jesus has reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. Then why should we not believe the apostle Paul? Why believe what men say? Common sense should tell us that Paul being an apostle of Jesus Christ is a truthful an honest man.

The Bible portrays God as being just, merciful and righteous. Why not give God the credit and believe that he is? "Come let us reason together, saith the Lord. Reasoning and common sense should tell us that God loves us and the whole created order.

If the scripture says that it is God's will that all men would be saved and come into the knowledge of the truth, 1 Timothy 2:4. Common sense should tell us that God is for us and not against us. Jesus was not only God with us, he was God for us.

Come let us reason together and have common sense, so that we can see and believe the wonderful thing that God has done for us in his Son Jesus Christ. "Though your sins be as scarlet they can be as white as snow".

genuineoriginal

Yes, God has provided a way for our sins to be made as white as snow, if we are willing and obedient.

Isaiah 1:19
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:​

Robert Pate

Banned
Yes, God has provided a way for our sins to be made as white as snow, if we are willing and obedient.

We are justified by faith apart from the works of the law, Galatians 3:11.

Being obedient and willing is a work of the law.

genuineoriginal

Being obedient and willing is a work of the law.
There are those that are obedient.

Romans 6:16
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?​

Then there are those that are not obedient.

Ephesians 5:6
6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.​

Lon

Truth is learned by reasoning and common sense.

If the scripture says that God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, John 3:16. Then should we not believe that God wants ALL MEN to be saved and that he is not willing that any should perish?

If the scripture says that Jesus has reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. Then why should we not believe the apostle Paul? Why believe what men say? Common sense should tell us that Paul being an apostle of Jesus Christ is a truthful an honest man.

If the scripture says that it is God's will that all men would be saved and come into the knowledge of the truth, 1 Timothy 2:4. Common sense should tell us that God is for us and not against us. Jesus was not only God with us, he was God for us.

Come let us reason together and have common sense, so that we can see and believe the wonderful thing that God has done for us in his Son Jesus Christ. "Though your sins be as scarlet they can be as white as snow".
Whose reasoning? Whose 'common' sense (it has to be 'common' to call it that)? Universalism has serious problems in scripture and does damage to Christ's work on the Cross. It does not surprise me that you are going the universalism route, but it is saddening, Robert :(

genuineoriginal

You do realize we're living in the "Dispensation of Grace" and not in
the Old Testament, correct?
Did you remember to tell that to Paul?

Romans 15:18
18 For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,​

Robert Pate

Banned
There are those that are obedient.

Romans 6:16
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?​

Then there are those that are not obedient.

Ephesians 5:6
6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.​

The Gospel calls for holy living. We are called to be witnesses for Christ and his Gospel.

However, your very best is still tainted with sin and pride.

This is why Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10.

Our righteousness is in heaven with Christ.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
We are justified by faith apart from the works of the law, Galatians 3:11.

Yes, righteous Abel was justified by faith rather than works of the law. It's been that way from the beginning. The dispensation of grace began with Abel.

By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts and through it he being dead still speaks. (Hebrews 11:4 NKJV)​

genuineoriginal

The Gospel calls for holy living. We are called to be witnesses for Christ and his Gospel.

However, your very best is still tainted with sin and pride.
Your problem is that you are stuck in thinking that this is how you are to show your holy living:

Luke 18:11-12
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.​

You need to join me and start your walk of obedience in this manner:

Luke 18:13
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.​

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Obedience to faith....it appears more difficult than obedient to laws....until you realize that faith is a gift.

genuineoriginal

Obedience to faith....it appears more difficult than obedient to laws

In some ways it is more difficult, in other ways it is easier.

It is more difficult because you don't have a bunch of rules to follow.
It is easier because you have two guiding principles that you can follow instead of a bunch of rules.

Here are the two guiding principles for obedience to faith:

Mark 12:28-31
28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.​

genuineoriginal

There's nothing anybody can say that makes God a liar! And just because people believe different doesn't mean anybody is a liar.

Very well, what I intended to be understood is that either the words of God are true or Universalism is true, but there is no way for both to be true.

Since God does not lie, then Universalism is the lie.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Your problem is that you are stuck in thinking that this is how you are to show your holy living:

Luke 18:11-12
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.​

You need to join me and start your walk of obedience in this manner:

Luke 18:13
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.​

You need to get down off your "high horse" and start a regimen of
reading/studying the writings of Paul. (Romans through Philemon)
It would appear as if, you're a bit of a, "Worker type?"

There are, "Worker types" (that's you) and there are, "Faither types."

genuineoriginal

You need to get down off your "high horse"
I would have to get off my knees in order to get up on your high horse.

and start a regimen of
reading/studying the writings of Paul. (Romans through Philemon)
It would be better to start with the other writers of the Bible so I don't end up twisting Paul's words to my own destruction the way the people that only listen to Paul have done.

2 Peter 3:15-16
15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.​

Robert Pate

Banned
I would have to get off my knees in order to get up on your high horse.

It would be better to start with the other writers of the Bible so I don't end up twisting Paul's words to my own destruction the way the people that only listen to Paul have done.

2 Peter 3:15-16
15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.​

Peter had some problems understanding Paul alright, Galatians 2:11-14.