Real Science Friday: Dawkins Proves a Creationist Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGOFKNGS

There was an unusually fascinating portion of this show. Bob and Fred Williams are explaining why some birds in New Guinea are flightless, under a YEC scenario. Two things to note – 1) see how credible you think their reason is for the loss of the ability to fly, and 2) Listen to them clearly elucidate Darwinian evolution as a mechanism.

Starting at 19:44:
These are just birds, different kinds of birds that God created. And they lost their ability to fly. In this article they talk about how that may have happened. They say in part of the world, like in Indonesia, New Guinea, and Australia – parts of the world that it was harder for land-dwelling animals to get to. There were birds that got there first, as animals began to disperse around the world, beginning from the Middle-East.

The author here talks about the tropical thicket, how it can make it hard for these birds to take off.

… Creationists agree that natural selection occurs. … So you’ve got forest and rain forest, but also you don’t have predators. You don’t have land-dwelling predators that can kill these birds. So normally a bird taking off and flying away from a predator is a tremendous survival mechanism. But when there are no such predators, then the ability to take off and fly isn’t going to make it more likely that your descendants will have a better chance of survival than others that cannot fly.

So some of the offspring are going to … likely had a mutation that it couldn’t fly. But that’s going to favor them in some degree because the flight isn’t necessary to survive and reproduce. And over time they take over the population.​
My questions:

a) How long might it have taken for the predatory land animals to get to New Guinea (from the Ararat region)?

b) How fast would the population of birds grow in New Guinea, especially without pressure from predators?

c) Is the loss of flight due to a relatively simple (and thus more probable) mutation, or is it something that has happened in stages?

d) What is the chance that such a mutation would spread completely through the bird population and eradicate the ability to fly before the predators showed up?

e) Now that the predators are on-site, and the ability to fly would be beneficial to escape predation, is there some magic at work that forbids the “reverse” mutation?

There's a cool David Attenborough documentary through PBS about the birds of paradise of New Guinea. Completely fascinating and beautiful birds! The documentary is called "Birds of the Gods" and is available at pbs.org (.com???) and also through Netflix.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Also, Real Science Friday has already awarded $2,000 in prize money and now there's another $2,000 being offered right from our Evolve page!

It's a Hovind-style scam. They apparently want scientists to prove life began by chance.

Just like Hovind, they dream up an idea, and then challenge scientists to prove it.

Now, if they were to offer $2000 to demonstrate the preponderance of evidence supports abiogenesis, and were willing to abide by a panel of unbiased judges, I'd be willing to take their money.

Not willing to prop up a strawman, though.

Jukia

My questions:

a) How long might it have taken for the predatory land animals to get to New Guinea (from the Ararat region)?

b) How fast would the population of birds grow in New Guinea, especially without pressure from predators?

c) Is the loss of flight due to a relatively simple (and thus more probable) mutation, or is it something that has happened in stages?

d) What is the chance that such a mutation would spread completely through the bird population and eradicate the ability to fly before the predators showed up?

e) Now that the predators are on-site, and the ability to fly would be beneficial to escape predation, is there some magic at work that forbids the “reverse” mutation?

Sounds like great areas of study for all those creation scientists. Can't wait to read the results in Science, Nature or even some obscure real scientific journal.

Crickets, I hear crickets.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Soft tissue T-Rex 'fossils' are pretty cool!

Particularly when they tested some of it. It turns out to be most like that of birds, which is exactly what evolutionary theory predicts. How about that?

Evolution= loss of genetic information.

Or addition of new information. How can that happen? Gene duplication, followed by mutation of one of them to make a new enzyme (among many other examples) Want to learn more about it?

A beetle will always be a beetle.

Right. Populations evolve. Individuals don't.

On a windy island, the ones with the wingless mutation will survive.

Or on islands with pesticides, one that evolves a new feature to resist it will survive:
Validation of a Point Mutation of Acetylcholinesterase in Colorado Potato Beetle by Polymerase Chain Reaction Coupled to Enzyme Inhibition Assay*1
Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology
Volume 57, Issue 1, January 1997, Pages 28-35
Kun Yan Zhu1 and J. Marshall Clark2

Department of Entomology, University of Massachusetts, Fernald Hall, Amherst, Massachusetts, 01003

Surprise.

I googled Hong Kong's Noah's Ark. It's beautiful!
Boat = 8 mouths to feed in Chinese-- Pretty cool!

Stipe tried that one months ago. And he should know better. Most Chinese modern written words have two characters. In your case, it's with the left character, zhou, meaning "boat" with the right character kang, the phonetic, giving a hint at the pronunciation. It resembles the character for "eight", which is
d75.gif

d232.gif

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Most Chinese modern written words have two characters. In your case, it's with the left character, zhou, meaning "boat" with the right character kang, the phonetic, giving a hint at the pronunciation. It resembles the character for "eight"

:chuckle:

Further explaining that parts of the character 船 (boat) mean 'eight' (八) and 'mouth', 'opening' or maybe 'person' (口) is hardly an argument against the idea that parts of 船 mean 'eight' and 'mouth'.

pqmomba8

Well bubby, satan ain't gonna rule here much longer. When you hear boom boom, that's when both you and dawkins will feel the presures, lol. You want to play now...play. Jump with all your froggy frogs. When the head gets crushed by my King's heel, you'll get it. When He returns with His Armies, oh you'll get it allright. Then you will see AND understand! And you will remember then, every single person who ever came to you with His Words. And every word too. The only difference between you and I, is that I have chosen to do so now. I can see the LOVE with which this ALL has had to come to be, and I understand it with my whole heart. I can't find any blame in Yah for what He must do now. My prayers include the He does indeed "cut short" the time upon us. Even for you. I pray you believe before you feel His wrath. I pray your ears are opened to HIS WORDS and not all the boneheads that lead away from those words. Those words are ALL for YOU TOO. It is up to YOU to ASK THE FATHER. But first...FIRST..."you must believe He exists", or my prayers go to a face turned away from you. If you can find that in you, then pick up His Book, preferably one with His Name IN IT. One that doesn't "come in another's name". And go off to be with Him, in secret, and ask for the One He said, He would send, that WILL "teach you all things". And then "wait" as He said. Read it all as it is a BOOK. One end to the other. And "listen". Forget all you think you know now, humble yourself as before the CREATOR of "all created things". And you will see. It's not hard. Put away worldly thinking, and ask to see things through HIS EYES.

And you would be fine, I'm sure. Then when you find yourself to be loved by the Creator of all created things, you will understand. When you can accept the truth, HE wants you for a son, then you will see the love of this whole thing from beginning to end.

I ask Him. Even what to say to you. This time I did. I'm sorry I didn't do so before in talking to you. My fault, a bad reaction to the word "atheist". No excuse. So I hope you consider what I'm trying to say, even though I have been a jerk to you before. We have all been lied to, and I am sure we all suffer from every lie ever told. But this is the time for seeking truth. It really is. But from HIM. One thing I have learned, I can't help anyone. Either I send them to Him, or they will never get helped. And that is what I want for them...to "seek His face". And "find it". I pray you do.

>>Well bubby, satan ain't gonna rule here much longer. When you >>hear boom boom, that's when both you

It still blows me away that adults believe in fictitious / fairy tale characters. Jeeez people, grow up for Pete's sake.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Further explaining that parts of the character 船 (boat) mean 'eight' (八) and 'mouth', 'opening' or maybe 'person' (口) is hardly an argument against the idea that parts of 船 mean 'eight' and 'mouth'.

That is is a phonetic is not arguable. It is used that way in the word, as it is in many other bisyllable words in Chinese.

In fact, the "eight" is said to be, in Chinese sources, shorthand for water, over "opening", a sort of pun meaning "scupper" (which a ship would have, as opposed to boats).

Eight: 八 Water: 水. If you're familiar with the strokes used for each, the left is a natural shorthand, using two less strokes of the brush. (it is different than the "water" radical, which is placed on the left of a character)

Status
Not open for further replies.