Quotations of the day

Nanja

"God intentionally designed salvation so that no man can boast of it. He didn't merely arrange it so that boasting would be discouraged or kept to a minimum - He planned it so that boasting would be absolutely excluded. Election does precisely that." - Mark Webb

FineLinen

"To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world." -Karl Barth-

Nanja

I believe that nothing happens apart from divine determination and decree. We shall never be able to escape from the doctrine of divine predestination – the doctrine that God has foreordained certain people unto eternal life.

C.H. Spurgeon

FineLinen

"On the basis of the eternal will of God we have to think of EVERY HUMAN BEING, even the oddest, most villainous or miserable, as one to whom Jesus Christ is Brother and God is Father; and we have to deal with him on this assumption. If the other person knows that already, then we have to strengthen him in the knowledge. If he does not know it yet or no longer knows it, our business is to transmit this knowledge to him." -Karl Barth-

FineLinen

“My deepest awareness of myself is that I am deeply loved by Jesus Christ and I have done nothing to earn it or deserve it.” Brennan Manning,-

FineLinen

"On the last day, Jesus will look us over not for medals, diplomas, or honors, but for scars." -Brennan Manning-

FineLinen

"We miss Jesus' point entirely when we use His words as weapons against others." -Brennan Manning-

"I have been seized by the power of a great affection." -Brennan Manning-

"God is loving us - you and me - this moment, just as we are and not as we should be." -Brennan Manning-

Nanja

“thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel; which is very easily done with a bar of iron; and, when it is done, the pieces can never be put together again:
so that by the metaphor is signified the easy and irreparable ruin of the wicked; see Isa 30:14.

-John Gill

FineLinen

“Imagine that Jesus is calling you today. He extends a second invitation to accept His Father's love. And maybe you answer, "Oh, I know that. It's old hat."

And God answers, 'No, that's what you don't know. You don't know how much I love you. The moment you think you understand is the moment you do not understand. I am God, not man. You tell others about Me - your words are glib. My words are written in the blood of My only Son. The next time you preach about My love with such obnoxious familiarity, I may come and blow your whole prayer meeting apart.

Did you know that every time you tell Me you love Me, I say thank you?”

Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out

FineLinen

“What makes authentic disciples is not visions, ecstasies, biblical mastery of chapter and verse, or spectacular success in the ministry, but a capacity for faithfulness. Buffeted by the fickle winds of failure, battered by their own unruly emotions, and bruised by rejection and ridicule, authentic disciples may have stumbled and frequently fallen, endured lapses and relapses, gotten handcuffed to the fleshpots and wandered into a far county. Yet, they kept coming back to Jesus.” -Brennan Manning-

Nanja

[FONT="Merriweather","Georgia",serif]“though he is a Lamb, he has wrath in him, and when the great day of his wrath comes in any form on earth,
there is no standing before him; and how much less when he shall appear as the Lion of the tribe of Judah,
and shall be revealed from heaven in flaming fire; then kings and freemen will call to the rocks to fall upon them,
and hide them from him;”
[/FONT]

[FONT="Merriweather","Georgia",serif]-John Gill[/FONT]

FineLinen

“What the father planted will be harvested, and nothing will get in the way. Not heresies, schisms, ecclesiastical blunders, defections, moral failures; not if the budget isn't balanced; not if I can't find a way to end this book; not persecutions or nuclear holocausts—nothing will obstruct the coming of the Kingdom.” -Brennan Manning-

“While there is much we may have earned--our degree and our salary, our home and garden, a Miller Lite and a good night's sleep--all this is possible only because we have been given so much: life itself, eyes to see and hands to touch, a mind to shape ideas, and a heart to beat with love. We have been given God in our souls and Christ in our flesh. We have the power to believe where others deny, to hope where others despair, to love where others hurt. This and so much more is sheer gift” -Brennan Manning-

The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up & Burnt Out.

FineLinen

"Life is not a test, so God can discover what we would do.

Life is a test, so we would discover what God does do." -Peter Heitt-

FineLinen

"The church is not a museum for saints but a hospital for sinners.” -Brennan Manning-

The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, & Burnt Out

Nanja

“Christ, in the council and covenant of grace and peace, asked many things of his Father, which were granted; he asked for the persons of all the elect to be his bride and spouse, and his heart's desire was given him, and the request of his lips was not withheld from him: he asked for all the blessings of grace for them; for spiritual life here, and eternal life hereafter; and all were given him, and put into his hands for them, Ps 20:2; and here it is promised him, and I shall give thee the Heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession; by "the Heathen", and "the uttermost parts of the earth", are meant God's elect among the Gentiles, and who live in the distant parts of the world; which are Christ's other sheep, the Father has given to him as his portion, and whom he has made his care and charge: as if it was not enough that he should be King of Zion, or have the government over his chosen ones among the Jews, he commits into his hands the Gentiles also; see Isa 49:6; and these are given him as his inheritance and possession, as his portion, to be enjoyed by him; and who esteems them as such, and reckons them a goodly heritage, and a peculiar treasure, his jewels, and the apple of his eye. These words respect the calling of the Gentiles under the Gospel dispensation; and the amplitude of Christ's kingdom in all the earth, which shall be from sea to sea, and from the rivers to the ends of the earth.”

― John Gill, Gill's Bible Commentary