Proof Of God - Conscienciousness

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have always been intrigued by debates on the existence of God and I can appreciate both sides and can see weaknesses on both sides. But I rarely hear this argument and I have never heard any real defense against this proof. It is both objective and subjective and is more powerful than straight logic which can be "in the eyes of the beholder".

I think therefore I am.

We can all agree to that. I exists or some part of me exists and it is quite intimate. I am with me every second of every day. I stand in wonder sometimes of it. I remember as a child being afraid of dying and once in a flash I felt the full sense of being alive and that scared me more. :)

How do those who don't believe in God account for this clear sense of being? How could a cold universe of molecules provide me with feelings of uniqueness, personality and full sense of separateness from other people and things? I could comprehend its' value in an evolutionary context, but don't have any understanding how it could possibly come to be without God.

I'm not trying to be contentious here and I appreciate your predicament. However, there is no logical proof of God's existence. You just need to learn to accept that.

For example, you begin with "is more powerful than straight logic" but you then continue with "I think therefore I am", which is nothing other than straight logic. If God could be proven to exist then there would be no need for moral choice. God would be no different to the laws of motion or our knowledge of chemistry. It's a dead horse. Descartes was wrong, so was Aquinas. Get used to it, there are better ways to spend your time and energies.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Then nothing matters?

Our ego can't help but make things matter...to the extent of clinging and suffering.

If you are cut you may or may not believe? It's up to your ego to decide?

This only presupposes a "you" as a bodily perception.
Does this "you" incorporate the same body since the day it was born; 10 years ago; yesterday?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
The same God.

You are jumping to such a conclusion as well. There is nothing in chemistry or physics that even hints at the creation/development of conscientiousness. I have never even heard of a possible path to it. Science fiction has entertained robots gaining conscientiousness. But it's essentially presented as a magical moment.

It is beyond the physical.

Nope, no reason to think it is beyond physics and chemistry.

exminister

Our ego can't help but make things matter...to the extent of clinging and suffering.

This only presupposes a "you" as a bodily perception.
Does this "you" incorporate the same body since the day it was born; 10 years ago; yesterday?

Our molecules die and new ones are generated but the conscience me does not flip random to different people from day to day. I can look at pictures and videos of me years ago and can remember how I felt in those times.

So can be cut and not bleed if your ego says so?

How do people die unexpectedly or so unwillingly?
If someone gets hit by a bus without seeing it why doesn't it pass through them?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Our molecules die and new ones are generated but the conscience me does not flip random to different people from day to day. I can look at pictures and videos of me years ago and can remember how I felt in those times.

So, "you" connot be pin-pointed via a distinct level of physicality but rather "you" exist as an incorporeal mind i.e. a collection of ideas, notions and memories?

So can be cut and not bleed if your ego says so?

How do people die unexpectedly or so unwillingly?
If someone gets hit by a bus without seeing it why doesn't it pass through them?

Bodies get injured, age and die. Though why do you care...you're just a wispy train of transient thoughts. Correct?

PureX

I'm not trying to be contentious here and I appreciate your predicament. However, there is no logical proof of God's existence. You just need to learn to accept that.
I agree entirely. However, there is reasonable evidence. Unfortunately, exminister is not doing a very well at presenting it. I think he's recognizing it, but not articulating it very well.

It is difficult to articulate, I admit.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
I have always been intrigued by debates on the existence of God and I can appreciate both sides and can see weaknesses on both sides. But I rarely hear this argument and I have never heard any real defense against this proof. It is both objective and subjective and is more powerful than straight logic which can be "in the eyes of the beholder".

I think therefore I am.

We can all agree to that. I exists or some part of me exists and it is quite intimate. I am with me every second of every day. I stand in wonder sometimes of it. I remember as a child being afraid of dying and once in a flash I felt the full sense of being alive and that scared me more. :)

How do those who don't believe in God account for this clear sense of being? How could a cold universe of molecules provide me with feelings of uniqueness, personality and full sense of separateness from other people and things? I could comprehend its' value in an evolutionary context, but don't have any understanding how it could possibly come to be without God.

Do you mean, I think, therefore He is?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Why can't it be explained in those terms then?

Were you ever religious?

Sure, explain your thoughts with chemistry and physics but a deity does not follow from there.

And yes, I was a believer at one time. Lots of religious education and Bible study.

exminister

For example, you begin with "is more powerful than straight logic" but you then continue with "I think therefore I am", which is nothing other than straight logic. If God could be proven to exist then there would be no need for moral choice. God would be no different to the laws of motion or our knowledge of chemistry. It's a dead horse. Descartes was wrong, so was Aquinas. Get used to it, there are better ways to spend your time and energies.

How do you view Romans 1:18-21 ?

exminister

Sure, explain your thoughts with chemistry and physics but a deity does not follow from there.

And yes, I was a believer at one time. Lots of religious education and Bible study.

Did you or do you still find yourself praying at least sub-consciously?
I have read atheists say that it is the last thing to go. The smokey wisp of a candle blown out? It indicates to me something intrinsic is going on.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Did you or do you still find yourself praying at least sub-consciously?
I have read atheists say that it is the last thing to go. The smokey wisp of a candle blown out? It indicates to me something intrinsic is going on.

No, I do not pray. I do swear less, no use taking the name of an imaginary deity in vain is there?

the only thing intrinsic going on is chemistry and physics. That is how your brain works.

CherubRam

The proof that God exist is in the fact that spontaneous evolution of life is not possible in this universe. God evolved, then He created.