Pot related crime up in Colorado

shagster01

Blame on the black market again? Hahaha. That is getting old. Marijuana is a PLANT that everyone over 21 in Colorado is legally allowed to grow for themselves. That's like saying there is a black market tomato problem in Colorado too.

Colorado has one of the largest home brew industries. I get beer from my friends that way all the time. If I get drunk off of it and commit a crime is American Thinker going to blame the black market for it too and advocate banning beer?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TheologyOnline mobile app

shagster01

From the Denver post. . . .

“Crime is up,” said Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson, ” but I don’t know if you can relate it to marijuana.”

Since 2012, the year when Colorado voters passed recreational marijuana legalization, the number of crimes in Denver has grown by about 44 percent, according to annual figures the city reported to the National Incident Based Reporting System. In the past, police have argued that system potentially overcounts crimes and have preferred instead to cite the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, which shows a 3.5 percent increase over the same span. Both of those increases are tempered when taking population growth into account.

But, regardless of the counting system, marijuana’s contribution to the measurement is small.

Beginning in 2012, city safety officials began tracking crimes that they believe are marijuana-related. In that first year, the city counted 223 offenses, 172 of which were connected to the marijuana industry, which at the time encompassed only medical marijuana businesses. Last year, the city counted 251 marijuana-related offenses, including 183 connected to the medical and recreational marijuana industry. (The numbers are for more serious offenses and do not include petty citations for violations such as public marijuana consumption, nor do they include crimes committed by juveniles.)

That means, in any given year, marijuana-related crimes in Denver make up less than 1 percent of all offenses counted in the Uniform Crime Report and less than a half-percent of all NIBRS offenses.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/02/17/marijuana-legalization-unlikely-to-blame-for-denver-crime-increase/

musterion