Please help me interpret Genesis 1:27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
This in not referring to their spiritual state, but a state of human perception. If Jesus did not come into this world as man, no one would have had a chance to be saved, as the sin of man had to be redeemed by the Son of Man.

Do you understand this?

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
This in not referring to their spiritual state, but a state of human perception. If Jesus did not come into this world as man, no one would have had a chance to be saved, as the sin of man had to be redeemed by the Son of Man.

Do you understand this?

I can understand the last bit but the first bit, 'This is not referring to...' You haven't told me what 'this' is

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I can understand the last bit but the first bit, 'This is not referring to...' You haven't told me what 'this' is

It means for humans to know something, they must be able to see it with their eyes and know what it looks like. The essence of what they see is not made of a earth like substance, it is not organic, or biological, yet it appears so, as if not, then what God is showing would not be seen.

SonOfCaleb

You don't believe there was a time after Gen 1 was written and before Gen 2 was?

It stands to reason Moses wrote each letter/chapter in some sequence. But the specifics of that i dont know and in my opinion isnt really that important.

Put yourself in that time, how do you interpret Gen 1:27?

I've explained Gen 1:27 to you. You seem to be intent on finding more meaning than is actually appparent in that verse.

I don't suppose you think Moses wrote the whole Bible, surely he was just putting the historical records together.

Moses didnt write the the whole Bible of course. He was responsible for writing the Pentateuch though.

CherubRam

Do you understand this?
Before Christ was born into this word he was called Peniel, The Angel of The Lord. (The Messenger of Yahwah) Peniel was also called a man then.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
You seem ignorant of feminist political agenda. It is important that you understand:
1) Politics has nothing to do with scripture. Scripture has some to do with politics, but you cannot change God's Word based on preference or whim.
2) Because the Word of God is unchanging, it resists the feminist intrusion upon its pages. In fact 'femininity' itself is assailed by so-called feminist movements such that even what you are suggesting is the opposite of what you'd want to see in scripture, and so, back to concern #1
3) There have been efforts to change scripture to refer to God as 'she.' It is all politically and 'sensibility' driven rather than spiritually driven or theologically understood. It is 'casting God in our image' rather than being remade in His image. Once we do that, "God" is simply our preferences individually and sociologically. Demi Lovato came out saying "My God is not opposed to gays." She called that right: "Her." God is an afterthought and meaningless to her statement.
4) We are to be molded by scripture, not 'mold scripture to fit our fancy, whim, or expectation.' Some use Susan B. Anthony's quote that you should suspect any who give God's verdict because it looks like their own. This should be expected of one who is being molded by scripture, however. For me, Susan B Anthony's concern is secondary, like trying to figure out every cult. It is actually better to read one's bible and know truth than to be trying to put out all heretical fires.
5) The BIGGEST problem with trying to cast God as a 'she' are these: 1) He never refers to Himself that way. 2) All scriptures show females as subservient to God and husband. God is subservient to no one but rather preeminent.

.: Therfore, this is why it is considered 'blasphemy' on TOL to relegate God to a subservience position. The Lord Jesus Christ did take on the nature of a Servant, but you've seen his ministry if you've read the Gospels. At no time was He less than masculinity. -Lon

Women have been treated as subservient since the beginning. Because men are physically stronger they have had the upper hand.
I think women are mentally stronger than men.
It is about time we understand we are different but equal and loved equally by God.
Then it wouldn't be blasphemy to say God has feminine aspects.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Before Christ was born into this word he was called Peniel, The Angel of The Lord. (The Messenger of Yahwah) Peniel was also called a man then.

You seem to have a simplistic and concrete understanding of theology. Are you JW?

Gen. 32:24-32 does not say anywhere it was Jesus, or that it was certainly an angel, or God; it does interpret as Jacob, seeing God face to face.

Zeke

Women have been treated as subservient since the beginning. Because men are physically stronger they have had the upper hand.
It is about time we understand we are different but equal and loved equally by God.

The political is a ridiculous reason. they have a deity made in their own image which is based on traditions of men they have faith in the worlds system while acting like its ordain by the kingdom of that is veiled from them, God can be what ever he/she wants to and isn't offended by what carnal mind mistake as blasphemy.

Sent from my A462C using TheologyOnline mobile app

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
It means for humans to know something, they must be able to see it with their eyes and know what it looks like. The essence of what they see is not made of a earth like substance, it is not organic, or biological, yet it appears so, as if not, then what God is showing would not be seen.

So we see an essence of something when we say look at a person. It gives us extra information.
Like when someone gives us a look, especially if it's someone we know.
I think I know what you mean in a general sense.
But are you referring to something more specific?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
As a woman, you are a woman aren't you? Does it feel right for you and all your sex, to be subservient?

This is completely irrelevant. God it not a biological being. It has nothing to do with gender, other than semantics. Leave it at that!

Lon

Yes. So read Ephesians 5 and you'll see that the strong is to take of the weak and sacrifice for 'her.' You are thinking that women aren't supposed to need protecting. Let me tell you, I can and will protect my wife. Don't disdain your own masculinity for it.
We are in a 'political' arena that doesn't understand. You don't have to be that guy (male, masculine person).

I don't. I actually 'think' better than most women, not because I'm 'better' but because I don't emote. Women conversely empathize much better and tell us thick-headed men when to stop a minute. It is all dynamics. God wanted that we should 'compliment' one another, not "BE" one another. Don't listen to society. They are getting this all completely wrong. They have no clue that equality doesn't mean everything the same. I don't WANT my wife to have the 'fair' share around the house. I am the one that NEEDS to do the heavy lifting. She is not my equal over that matter. Listen again: Celebrate what is different. Love barely notices these things. We all submit to one another in love.

I am not a misogynist. The women on TOL love me simply because I love them as 'sisters.' They love me as a 'brother.'

You just said you recognized we are different. I'm ' not convinced you embrace or celebrate that God made us different. On purpose. It isn't the result of the Fall. It is GOOD that we are different.

What is blasphemy, is to cast God into the 'help-meet' role, purely from theological perspective because it undermines the role of God in our lives as well as the Lord Jesus Christ work and relationship to us. Spiritually and theologically, you are inadvertently switching the roles of God around,
like making the Lord Jesus Christ the Bride and the Church the husband. That's blasphemy. Like making God the "Father" the 'mother' instead, thus rewriting scriptures He has given in "OUR" preference. In a nutshell, switching the very roles we are to God in the process, as well as our need for God, Lord, and Savior. You may not be able to comprehend theologically, you are usurping God, but you can at least understand the concept of the problem.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Yes. So read Ephesians 5 and you'll see that the strong is to take of the weak and sacrifice for 'her.' You are thinking that women aren't supposed to need protecting. Let me tell you, I can and will protect my wife. Don't disdain your own masculinity for it.
We are in a 'political' arena that doesn't understand. You don't have to be that guy (male, masculine person).

I don't. I actually 'think' better than most women, not because I'm 'better' but because I don't emote. Women conversely empathize much better and tell us thick-headed men when to stop a minute. It is all dynamics. God wanted that we should 'compliment' one another, not "BE" one another. Don't listen to society. They are getting this all completely wrong. They have no clue that equality doesn't mean everything the same. I don't WANT my wife to have the 'fair' share around the house. I am the one that NEEDS to do the heavy lifting. She is not my equal over that matter. Listen again: Celebrate what is different. Love barely notices these things. We all submit to one another in love.

I am not a misogynist. The women on TOL love me simply because I love them as 'sisters.' They love me as a 'brother.'

You just said you recognized we are different. I'm ' not convinced you embrace or celebrate that God made us different. On purpose. It isn't the result of the Fall. It is GOOD that we are different.

I totally agree with you, I have been saying we are different but equal.

I agree that society now is trying to tell us there aren't any differences, hey we can even choose to change our sex and it be paid for!

You say you think better, we may be better at logical thinking but I know they have a something we don't. Perhaps if they didn't feel subservient they might be more willing to share some of their secrets???

The Bible doesn't help matters, laying blame on Eve and not having much info on the women's lives.

And here we are on a Theology debating forum and I'm within an inch from being banned for wanting to discuss the nature of God!!!

Not blaming you, just getting it off my chest :)

Lon

Perhaps if they didn't feel subservient they might be more willing to share some of their secrets???
:nono: I'm married. I don't "Lord" it over her like people think, but rather try to follow the Lord's example to love and sacrifice.
My wife isn't Esther. I have no scepter to extend to her for invading my presence.

The Bible doesn't help matters, laying blame on Eve and not having much info on the women's lives.
You just crossed a line again that is going to get you booted off of TOL. You really need to have some reverence for the things of God and His Word. I realize you don't have that value within you, as evidenced in a couple of discussions now, but you have to at least respect what another holds as sacred and treat that belief with grace and understanding. This isn't it. I cherish the Bible "AS" God's word. Are we Bible worshippers? Yes, to the degree that we cherish it coming from Him.

And here we are on a Theology debating forum and I'm within an inch from being banned for wanting to discuss the nature of God!!!

Not blaming you, just getting it off my chest :)
It may be you don't mean to be stepping on proverbial toes nor making comments that trample one's belief about the nature of the Bible, the nature of God, and etc. AMR called you a 'moonbeam' and by it, he meant you tend to express ideas from a new-age political values spectrum rather than one who is founded in scripture (which you also seem to eschew as being God's Word). I'd think you at least not a conservative fundamental evangelical. As such, you have to recognize where the difference lies as well as understand what is anathema to another person you are talking to. Me? It 'seems' you listen to some of what I'm saying and so I'm not as hung up at the challenge to faith ideas. Others are because of discussions prior etc. I wouldn't ban you, but it may still happen. You'll have to figure out what is important to people and why. I'm a bull in my own China shop at times here on TOL so I've got my own problems to worry about (and I am trying). I 'think' I'm a little quicker on the up-take of knowing when I'm proverbially stepping on toes. Mine is currently over the ideas of Original sin vs. Born-sinless. Good discussion, but I need to pay attention to what others have vested in their opposing view and shared here of course, in hopes it helps you 1) not feel so alone and 2) try not to break any more glass or dishes. -Lon

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Everyone in the military is under authority. Is that what you equate with being subservient?

It wasn't my choice of word, it either means too willing to serve others or less important. I doubt that most people join the forces are either of those.

CherubRam

You seem to have a simplistic and concrete understanding of theology. Are you JW?

Gen. 32:24-32 does not say anywhere it was Jesus, or that it was certainly an angel, or God; it does interpret as Jacob, seeing God face to face.
I am not a JW. I will start a separate thread. It will take some time to prepare it.

Status
Not open for further replies.