Ph.D in Pot & the G.H.W. Bush Legacy

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The logic is that anything which the NORMAL USE of gets one high should be illegal.

Millions of people have a glass of wine or two every day and do not get drunk.

But one inhale on a joint of weed is enough to produce a high.

That's the difference.

Your position is common among those who support legalization. But it's wrong, because of the above.

I "highly" doubt that (pun intended). Have you ever taken "a puff on some weed" yourself?

In the past I have occasionally taken a puff or three for its anti-inflammatory and other medicinal effects. Even a few puffs have never gotten me anywhere near high.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Conveniently left out from the first link:
In the introduction of its report, the Rocky Mountain HIDTA states that terms such as “marijuana-related” or “tested positive for marijuana” do “not necessarily prove that marijuana was the cause of the incident.” The section on “Impaired Driving” also states that, when it comes to traffic fatalities, “marijuana-related” entails “any time marijuana shows up in the toxicology report [of drivers]. It could be marijuana only or marijuana with other drugs and/or alcohol.”

i'm glad you followed the link and looked further - wish more people here would

the take-away is that it's an ongoing experiment from which conclusions are difficult to draw

drbrumley

The logic is that anything which the NORMAL USE of gets one high should be illegal.

Millions of people have a glass of wine or two every day and do not get drunk.

But one inhale on a joint of weed is enough to produce a high.

That's the difference.

Your position is common among those who support legalization. But it's wrong, because of the above.

Also, we tried making alcohol illegal once, and it DID lower the number of health related issues that come as a result of drunkenness.

But making alcoholic consumption illegal was wrong for the same reason that legalizing weed use is wrong, because a glass of wine doesn't get the average person drunk, whereas a puff on some weed produces an immediate high.

Why should it be illegal? Please answer per Tambora's point she made.

ok doser

I never heard that claim....but I live under a rock I guess.

i was being sarcastical *

* coulda sworn that was used in good will hunting by Stellan Skarsgård - but darned if i can find a reference to it :(

To Tambora's point how? It can go up 1000%and yet her post still stands..

sorry - should have made that clear - i wasn't responding to tam, i was responding to WoO

drbrumley

I'd be happy to see pot decriminalized as long as lawyers were no longer allowed to use it or abuse of other substances as an excuse to deny justice for their clients.

My wife's best friend and her husband were killed 7 years ago by a drunk driver. He got thrown in prison for vehicular manslaughter...my felling is, no matter what drug you put in your body, your still responsible for your actions...no one made that guy drink, just like no one makes you take a toke or shoot up your arm.

ok doser

By that logic, we should first and foremost make alcohol illegal.

first of all, i was quoting statistics, not using logic to make an argument

secondly, if we were interested in reducing alcohol related traffic fatalities, we could mandate that all new cars be equipped with breathalyzer interlocks and require retrofits to old cars

there were over 10000 alcohol related MVA deaths in 2012

ok doser

Why should it be illegal?

the libertarian argument is that whatever people choose to do with their own bodies in their own homes is nobody's business but their own

the practical perspective is that they never leave those anti-social behaviors at home - they always take them out into the public sphere - whether they be sexual perversions, deliberate impairment of cognitive abilities or whatever

drbrumley

the libertarian argument is that whatever people choose to do with their own bodies in their own homes is nobody's business but their own

That is true.

the practical perspective is that they never leave those anti-social behaviors at home - they always take them out into the public sphere - whether they be sexual perversions, deliberate impairment of cognitive abilities or whatever

That is besides the point....

Laws should not be based on "well, I don't like it"

ok doser

That is besides the point....

probably not to your wife's best friend and her husband and their families and friends - if that drunk had stayed in his own backyard and drunk 'til he passed out instead of going out on the public roadways, nobody would have cared

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Why should it be illegal? Please answer per Tambora's point she made.
Let me clarify.

There is nothing wrong with using pot for medicinal purposes.

However, prescribing weed so that the patient can "self medicate" is irresponsible.

At the very least, weed (and even the most mind-altering drugs, like opiates) should ONLY be available as a strictly controlled substance and mercifully prescribed for medical conditions. NEVER over the counter.

ok doser

so, we have ways to control those who want to drive drunk - it's technology based, it's not very good and it's probably easy to circumvent, but it's a start and the tech will get better if there's a demand for it

right now, far as i know, we don't have anything similar for the severely impaired stoner who gets the munchies at 3 in the morning and decides to drive to the local Kwik-E-Mart

drbrumley

probably not to your wife's best friend and her husband and their families and friends - if that drunk had stayed in his own backyard and drunk 'til he passed out instead of going out on the public roadways, nobody would have cared

Agreed. But I don't have to remind you alcohol is legal....one drink your impaired. you may not be buzzed, or drunk but you start losing your abilty….

So, with that being said, either you do it for all, or you don't do it....one or the other.

ok doser

Let me clarify.

However, prescribing weed so that the patient can "self medicate" is irresponsible.

At the very least, weed (and even the most mind-altering drugs, like opiates) should ONLY be available as a strictly controlled substance and mercifully prescribed for medical conditions. NEVER over the counter.

i always laughed when marijuana was referred to as a "recreational" drug, because one of the side effects is a reduction in sperm count

my stoner friends never understood the joke :sigh:

drbrumley

Let me clarify.

Ok, but that didn't answer why.....you only gave your opinion...

ok doser

This thread is great.....basically all this thread is about is "I don't like it, so you shouldn't do it, therefore it should be banned...."

i don't like your post, so you shuldn't make posts like that, therefore I reported it and suggested that you be banned :p

ok doser

Agreed. But I don't have to remind you alcohol is legal....one drink your impaired. you may not be buzzed, or drunk but you start losing your abilty….

So, with that being said, either you do it for all, or you don't do it....one or the other.

i suspect we'll look back on the carnage on the highways in fifty years and marvel at what we accepted as "normal"

and as far as losing one's ability, i refer you to this ground-breaking medical experiment by a nationally known doctor:

Spoiler

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
i always laughed when marijuana was referred to as a "recreational" drug, because one of the side effects is a reduction in sperm count

my stoner friends never understood the joke :sigh:

"Re-" and "pro-" creation are easily confused, especially by people who have a reduced IQ because they're potheads.