Personal Freedom vs. Public Welfare

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Nice!

You've raised an interesting question: Perhaps expos4ever desires there to be no defense of individual rights?

Perhaps he would now like to come clean and say something along the lines of, "I have no burden to try to defend individual rights, for I oppose, and war against them!"

I don't get the impression that expos4ever has all that much to contribute to a conversation like this - he appears to be a hit-and-run poster.

Arthur Brain

The conversation is about whether it is justly a criminal act. My contention is that it is not just to be considered a criminal act if it doesn't achieve its potential to cause harm. There are many actions that we take that aren't criminalized that have the potential to cause harm.

It is, for all of the reasons mentioned throughout. Driving a car while sober has the potential to cause harm but it's not a criminal act for obvious reasons. Many things have a certain risk factor that aren't criminal by the same token. Your "reasoning" seems to be that because you haven't had an accident yet your actions shouldn't be deemed criminal which is bonkers. That's like someone claiming they should be allowed to drive a hundred miles an hour in a built up area without criminal charges until they run over a child or something.

Your position is untenable. If you want to get drunk then stay home with a crate or walk or use public transport to a bar.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
There's plenty of cases where accidents have been caused by people losing control of their vehicle while drunk.

But that's manifestly not what ok doser has been talking about, Professor. Rather, he's been talking about cases where people driving drunk have not caused accidents. Why is it you can't you deal with what ok doser has been talking about, Professor?

Arthur Brain

But that's manifestly not what ok doser has been talking about, Professor. Rather, he's been talking about cases where people driving drunk have not caused accidents. Why is it you can't you deal with what ok doser has been talking about, Professor?

It's been dealt with all ends up if you can read. What, do you drive around drunk as well or are you not old enough yet?

:plain:

Arthur Brain

I don't.

I want to discuss the degree of justness of a law that seeks to punish me for a behavior or action from which no harm ensues.

You seem like you want to discuss something else.

All addressed in my last to you. It's entirely just to punish you for drunk driving whether you cause an accident or not. You're deliberately driving a vehicle while impaired where the risk factor of such occurring has considerably increased. That's why it's a crime. It's simple, straightforward stuff.

ok doser

This came out of a discussion that Chair and I were having about being compelled to wear masks. I put forward the following scenario:

I have not worn a mask in April, May, June or July. In the beginning of August I was tested and found to be free of antibodies to the Coronavirus.
My question to Chair was this: Who was harmed by my refusal to wear a mask in April, May, June and July? The answer of course that he was exceedingly reluctant to give was no one. No one was harmed by my refusal to wear a mask.

Just as no one was harmed in the next scenario about driving drunk. Both scenarios were designed to point towards the overarching general question - how just is a law that seeks to punish someone for engaging in an action or behavior from which no harm ensues?

But conceptually this is far beyond the capacity of artie or quip or expos4ever to handle. Instead they must thrash about like children emoting.

ok doser

It's entirely just to punish you for drunk driving whether you cause an accident or not.

And yet if I go to the troopers barracks and tell them:

Last night I drove home drunk. Nobody was harmed. I had the road to myself. I was exceedingly careful. I kept my speed under the speed limit and I arrived safely.

They will NOT punish me.

Are they being lax in their duties?

Is it just of them not to punish me?

eider

All addressed in my last to you. It's entirely just to punish you for drunk driving whether you cause an accident or not. You're deliberately driving a vehicle while impaired where the risk factor of such occurring has considerably increased. That's why it's a crime. It's simple, straightforward stuff.

It's just gobsmacking that anybody needs to think about this kind of stupidity.

But if they or theirs got hurt by a drunk driver, can you imagine the U-Turn ??

ok doser

Your "reasoning" seems to be that because you haven't had an accident yet your actions shouldn't be deemed criminal ...

My reasoning has been very clearly stated multiple times: A law that seeks to punish me for actions or behaviors from which no harm ensues is unjust.

Arthur Brain

And yet if I go to the troopers barracks and tell them:

Last night I drove home drunk. Nobody was harmed. I had the road to myself. I was exceedingly careful. I kept my speed under the speed limit and I arrived safely.

They will NOT punish me.

Are they being lax in their duties?

Is it just of them not to punish me?

Of course they're not being lax because you'd need to be caught in the act of driving while drunk before you could be justly charged with an offence.

Arthur Brain

My reasoning has been very clearly stated multiple times: A law that seeks to punish me for actions or behaviors from which no harm ensues is unjust.

Your "reasoning" has been refuted and taken apart multiple times. You're engaging in a behaviour that is irresponsible and puts people at risk because you are not in a fit state to be driving a vehicle. Next time you feel so inclined, why don't you drive to the troopers barracks while drunk, explain to them that you've driven while intoxicated but haven't had an accident and see what happens.

ok doser

Of course they're not being lax because you'd need to be caught in the act of driving while drunk before you could be justly charged with an offence.

Can you think of any other offense in which you have to be caught in the act before you're charged?

rape?
Theft?
Murder?

Arthur Brain

Another lost soul who will end up in eternal hellfire :sigh:

Says the guy who claims to be indwelt with the Holy Spirit, gets sozzled in bars and drives home drunk...

:freak:

Still telling that you refuse to answer as to whether your behaviour would be endorsed?

Arthur Brain

Can you think of any other offense in which you have to be caught in the act before you're charged?

rape?
Theft?
Murder?

This little thing called "evidence"...

Certain crimes can be proven after the fact. Once your blood alcohol levels have fallen below the limit there's no way of proving that you were drunk while driving.