Pediatrician refuses to care for lesbians' baby

Morpheus

would He have developed an eighteen year relationship with them and never commented on their perverted lifestyle?

You failed to answer the question. Would Christ have turned the church child of a lesbian or prostitute away without healing it? And yes, He would have developed a years-long relationship with them, although He likely would have lovingly discussed their practices. We have several examples where followers didn't immediately jump right in. Such as Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus, both memders of the Council who gradually came around.

Edit: And let's not forget the "sinful" woman who washed his feet with her tears. How about those awful Samaritans? Most Jews wouldn't even travel that road, but Jesus sent the adulterous woman to get Him a drink of water.

fool

Hall of Fame
i pray that her practice will attract God fearing Christians who respect her stand against perversion :thumb:

Right, let's get back to that "stand", where she wouldn't treat the kid but had no qualms sending in her co-worker.

How is that a "stand"?

fool

Hall of Fame
I am surprised there are none coming to her defense on the reviews site, but perhaps in time........ :(

But, there's still gonna be lesbians and their kids there because the other Doctor doesn't seem to have a problem and more importantly this Doctor herself seems to have no problem sending the other Doctor to do that which she herself won't.

fool

Hall of Fame
Nothing says "pro-life" quite like "won't treat an infant."

I don't know what to call this other than disjointed, so she's "pro not gay"? Which makes her functionally "anti gay"? But has no problem sending in a co-worker to the Lesbians?

If she said "I won't treat you and I don't recommend anyone else here does either" then at least that would be consistent.

GFR7

But, there's still gonna be lesbians and their kids there because the other Doctor doesn't seem to have a problem and more importantly this Doctor herself seems to have no problem sending the other Doctor to do that which she herself won't.
I understand this, yes. Of course.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I don't know what to call this other than disjointed, so she's "pro not gay"? Which makes her functionally "anti gay"? But has no problem sending in a co-worker to the Lesbians?

If she said "I won't treat you and I don't recommend anyone else here does either" then at least that would be consistent.

...and very well may have been enough to get her fired. But hey, God told her what to do, so, yeah.

zoo22

Wait, let me get this straight, a pediatrician turned away a couple because they were Christian and it went against her beliefs?

Daedalean's_Sun

you mean like just ignoring the big white elephant in the room?

Well, no. You don't have to ignore the elephant but you don't have to beat it with a baseball bat either.

Should I assume that you implicitly support all the opinions, beliefs, and activities of every person you have ever worked with?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Pediatrician Refuses Care for Baby of Lesbians

So is this different than the whole "wedding" cake issue for same-sex couples? My take is that it is different - a pediatrician cares for a child who finds itself in the situation it's in through no choice of its own. This is about caring for the child, not the guardians of the child. Early Christians would do something similar when they would go to the cliffs where the Romans would leave babies they didn't want - and take them in themselves. They weren't validating the choice to abandon a baby, but doing what they could for it.

When the bible says that the rain falls on the just and the unjust, it means God provides for everyone to some degree. This wouldn't be justifying a homosexual couple nearly the same way providing a wedding cake for a same-sex ceremony would.

But that's just my take. Even this doctor apologized to the couple and said that she felt she couldn't have any meaningful relationship with them because of their differences. Is that a valid reason not to treat a child?

I don't see this as an issue of choice. I believe the doctor should have the right to do what she did. But was she right in doing so?

Are there other factors I'm not taking into consideration?

yes, she was right in doing so if she could not in good conscience have an appropriate relationship with the parents which is required of a pediatric doctor.

Would you want to have a relationship with a doctor you couldn't trust?

A pediatric relationship would last from infancy usually till the child is 18. Legally also a private doctor can refuse service to anyone. See the doctors letter of explanation to the lesbian parents. There would be a conflict of interest, and she was stopping it before it started.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Wait, let me get this straight, a pediatrician turned away a couple because they were Christian and it went against her beliefs?

That would be ok with me, i would want a doctor who had no conflict of interest in how my child was to be treated.

genuineoriginal

yes, she was right in doing so if she could not in good conscience have an appropriate relationship with the parents which is required of a pediatric doctor.

Would you want to have a relationship with a doctor you couldn't trust?

A pediatric relationship would last from infancy usually till the child is 18. Legally also a private doctor can refuse service to anyone. See the doctors letter of explanation to the lesbian parents. There would be a conflict of interest, and she was stopping it before it started.

Exactly

genuineoriginal

To me it seems like the parable of the Good Samaritan applies pretty well to this case..

:think:

The parable of the Good Samaritan was about providing emergency service, which is not the same as starting the 18+ year long relationship between a pediatrician and a family with children.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The parable of the Good Samaritan was about providing emergency service,
:plain: Isn't that like suggesting Christ's declaration concerning his physical resurrection was about living wills?

which is not the same as starting the 18+ year long relationship between a pediatrician and a family with children.
Though many aren't suggesting the physician is obligated to take that on, only finding the treatment/timing scorn worthy.

genuineoriginal

Though many aren't suggesting the physician is obligated to take that on, only finding the treatment/timing scorn worthy.
Kind of like a guy on a date with a girl that agrees to sex at every point until she gets her clothes off and then says "no"?

Should we scorn the girl on the date for saying "no" at the last minute?

The timing is quite upsetting to the other party, but most of the people speaking against the doctor are upset that she said "no".

When are these people complaining against the doctor's actions going to learn that "no means no"?