pacifism for true Jesus' followers.

marhig

never really understood the fascination with the fact that it was a nuclear bomb

you do realize, don't you, that we killed far more civilians with conventional bombing during ww2?

see: Tokyo, Dresden, Hamburg....
All killing from every side is wrong, no war is right, it's the result of greed and power, and those born of God should have nothing to do with it.

We are here to do the will of God, and to bring the life of Christ and the love of God to others through Christ, and show them a new and living way. Not bomb them!

KingdomRose

:thumb:

you'll never get KR to understand this

I don't think YOU will ever understand that innocent people were killed and maimed when those bombs were dropped. Why does that make it OK just because they were "Japs"? You have the mind-set of the aggressor. You are no different.

KingdomRose

i would guess that most of the americans in the armed forces identified as Christian :idunno:

I wonder why they gladly killed Christians on the other side of the battle. Christians killing Christians. Jesus indicated that if such were the case, you would know that they were not his disciples. Neither side. He said: "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35, NASB) Can you love another disciple of Jesus if you are killing him?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I don't think YOU will ever understand that innocent people were killed and maimed when those bombs were dropped.

of course i understand it - it's silly of you to say that i don't

but a far greater number of lives were saved by the ending of the war, avoiding the necessity of either an armed invasion or starvation by blockade

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I don't think YOU will ever understand that innocent people were killed and maimed when those bombs were dropped. Why does that make it OK just because they were "Japs"? You have the mind-set of the aggressor. You are no different.
I wonder why they gladly killed Christians on the other side of the battle. Christians killing Christians. Jesus indicated that if such were the case, you would know that they were not his disciples. Neither side. He said: "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35, NASB) Can you love another disciple of Jesus if you are killing him?
Some of the pertinent Church teachings on the matter:
Spoiler

Legitimate defense

2263 The legitimate defense of persons and societies is not an exception to the prohibition against the murder of the innocent that constitutes intentional killing. The act of self-defense can have a double effect: the preservation of one's own life; and the killing of the aggressor. . . . The one is intended, the other is not.

2264 Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one's own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow:
If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful. . . . Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's.​
2265 Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others. The defense of the common good requires that an unjust aggressor be rendered unable to cause harm. For this reason, those who legitimately hold authority also have the right to use arms to repel aggressors against the civil community entrusted to their responsibility.

2266 . . . Legitimate public authority has the right and duty to inflict punishment proportionate to the gravity of the offense. Punishment has the primary aim of redressing the disorder introduced by the offense. . . Punishment then, in addition to defending public order and protecting people's safety, has a medicinal purpose: as far as possible, it must contribute to the correction of the guilty party.

2267 Assuming that the guilty party's identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor. . . .

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm#2263

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I wonder why they gladly killed Christians on the other side of the battle.

Do you really think that Christians would have partaken in such atrocities such as Pearl Harbor? And what percentage of the Japanese soldiers were Christians? Do you even know? How can you make an argument based on something you don't even know?

Christians killing Christians. Jesus indicated that if such were the case, you would know that they were not his disciples. Neither side. He said: "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35, NASB) Can you love another disciple of Jesus if you are killing him?

Where is a disciple of or brother in Christ EVER called the enemy?

Truster

Terror, war, pestilence, earthquakes and plague are instruments for the destruction of the wicked in the hands of the Almighty. He uses the wicked to destroy the wicked. Nobody is safe when He strikes and He never misses a target.

“Shall there be evil in the city, and Yah Veh hath not worked it?”

Tnkrbl123

I know that we do not agree about much on here but on this one I completely agree with you. This was a wonderful answer and thank you for sharing.
It is hard for us mere humans (with finite knowledge and sinful urges and desires) to understand that war is not the answer. And especially because it is so deeply engrained in our culture and has been the human way of solving problems for as long as history goes back. And even for myself I have struggled with this question a lot. But I have finally understood that there is no just war and that killing because someone kills is not the answer. We are living under a new kingdom, the kingdom of GOd and HIs kingdom does not operate in early and worldy ways. God is the one who will deal with justice and judgement and it is our job to LOVE. Jesus taught the way of living in His Kingdom and HIs kingdom does not have any room for violence and war.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I know that we do not agree about much on here but on this one I completely agree with you. This was a wonderful answer and thank you for sharing.
It is hard for us mere humans (with finite knowledge and sinful urges and desires) to understand that war is not the answer. And especially because it is so deeply engrained in our culture and has been the human way of solving problems for as long as history goes back. And even for myself I have struggled with this question a lot. But I have finally understood that there is no just war and that killing because someone kills is not the answer. We are living under a new kingdom, the kingdom of GOd and HIs kingdom does not operate in early and worldy ways. God is the one who will deal with justice and judgement and it is our job to LOVE. Jesus taught the way of living in His Kingdom and HIs kingdom does not have any room for violence and war.
Give me the address of your closest friends and family so that I can write them all a letter, making it clear that if they ever find themselves in peril of death because they are being attacked by an unjust aggressor, that you will not help.