Over-parenting

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"You're not that special."

"But, but, but, my mommy and daddy told me I was!!!" :IA:

Should parents be telling kids that they are special and everyone else should treat them as such?

WARNING: May have a little bad language.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Should parents be telling kids that they are special and everyone else should treat them as such?

Very insightful and true. You better put a profanity warning up or somebody might report you. :chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

You should always tell your kids they are smart when they do something smart, strong when they overcome something difficult, and always special. God thinks that every human alive is a precious being with whom He wants to spend eternity, and grieves for every one that fails to be saved.

So yes, tell them that. On the other hand, you should always tell your children to be kind and polite to everyone, and not expect special treatment. My Mom told me that good people act with kindness and humility, and since we were good people, I better make sure that I was kind and considerate.

That's the way.

"You're nothing special", when the kid knows that he is, is the way you produce sociopaths.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You should always tell your kids they are smart when they do something smart, strong when they overcome something difficult, and always special.
Why?
:idunno:

God thinks that every human alive is a precious
Does precious mean special?

being with whom He wants to spend eternity, and grieves for every one that fails to be saved.
Well, if they are all special, and 'special' can succeed or fail, then what separates them from the non-special?

Danoh

Look at that - a video that perfectly describes the Ever Obviously Way Over Indulged Child in Chief: Trump's every petty tweet, one public feud after another, cry after cry that everyone hates him, wah, wah, wah...

:rotfl:

Danoh

You should always tell your kids they are smart when they do something smart, strong when they overcome something difficult, and always special. God thinks that every human alive is a precious being with whom He wants to spend eternity, and grieves for every one that fails to be saved.

So yes, tell them that. On the other hand, you should always tell your children to be kind and polite to everyone, and not expect special treatment. My Mom told me that good people act with kindness and humility, and since we were good people, I better make sure that I was kind and considerate.

That's the way.

"You're nothing special", when the kid knows that he is, is the way you produce sociopaths.

You're talking apples to a Trump supporter (orange - literally :chuckle: ).

It is what it is...

Nevertheless, Romans 5:8 towards ya, Tam.

Not that Paul needed to have to remind the Romans of that, again; right?

:doh:

glorydaz

That's the way.

Honesty is the key. You should tell your kids how special they are to you, but you explain that they're just another person to the rest of the world.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Look at that - a video that perfectly describes the Ever Obviously Way Over Indulged Child in Chief: Trump's every petty tweet, one public feud after another, cry after cry that everyone hates him, wah, wah, wah...

:rotfl:
Leave it to Danoh to see Trump in everything :rotfl: TDS

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Honesty is the key. You should tell your kids how special they are to you, but you explain that they're just another person to the rest of the world.

Yes. That works. I think the best approach is "you're a (family name). You need to act with kindness and concern for others. I don't care what other people do; you're a (family name)."

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Why?

Does precious mean special?

God seems to think so.

Well, if they are all special, and 'special' can succeed or fail,

A person who never fails, never does anything worth doing. Success and failure have nothing to do with it.

then what separates them from the non-special?

I never met anyone, once I got to know them, who wasn't superior to me in some way or another. That's good enough for me.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
God seems to think so.

A person who never fails, never does anything worth doing. Success and failure have nothing to do with it.

I never met anyone, once I got to know them, who wasn't superior to me in some way or another. That's good enough for me.
So you see nothing wrong with today's coddled college kids and millennials?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
God seems to think so.

So you see nothing wrong with today's coddled college kids and millennials?

Did you perhaps intend to write this in a different thread? I don't see that it has anything to do with this thread.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
God seems to think so.

Did you perhaps intend to write this in a different thread? I don't see that it has anything to do with this thread.
It has everything to do with this thread.

Danoh

Leave it to Danoh to see Trump in everything :rotfl: TDS

Nope, I just easily see connections between things most would, were they a bit more astute - this is exactly why I'm so beyond on you on the Mid-Acts distinctions.

You could excel at that yourself; if you weren't so quick to run with your first impulse conclusions and narrow mindedness.

I say drop that.

The sooner; the better off you'll be for it.

Leave it with GD; she's got ya beat on it, and then some :chuckle: