over coming the world

meshak

BANNED
Banned
John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

2 Peter 2:20
If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning.

1 John 4:4
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

1 John 5:4
for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

1 John 5:5
Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Jesus says if we are not born of God, we will not inter into His kingdom.

So it is essential to salvation to overcome the world.

I admit that I am still worldly in many ways.

What are we doing to cling to this world?

blessings.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I have been watching detective programs and it is amazing how the Bible is being used to make excuses to do evil deeds.

They even justify killing or murder.

That is going on in this site too.

How can we avoid doing this kind of things?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Mary gave me a good advice and encouragement when I got into pitfall.

I think we should talk to one another not to fall into the temptation.

We need each other's support to stay on the right track.

I am greatly blessed that Mary has doing just that for me.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
As usual, Jesus' teachings are not taken seriously.

so sad.

We cannot over come the world by disregarding Jesus' teachings.

His teaching is the way to over come the world.

Jesus says that He is the way and the truth and the life.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
As usual, Jesus' teachings are not taken seriously.

so sad.

We cannot over come the world by disregarding Jesus' teachings.

His teaching is the way to over come the world.

Jesus says that He is the way and the truth and the life.

By the way, Jesus earthly ministry was to the 'Lost sheep of the house of Israel.' Matthew 14:24 "But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Meshak is ignorant of MOST of the New Testament writings, because she has rejected most of them and only accepts Matthew through John.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I have been watching detective programs and it is amazing how the Bible is being used to make excuses to do evil deeds.

They even justify killing or murder.

That is going on in this site too.

How can we avoid doing this kind of things?

You can probably stop watching those 'WORLDLY' shows for starters.

KingdomRose

Jesus says if we are not born of God, we will not inter into His kingdom.

So it is essential to salvation to overcome the world.

I admit that I am still worldly in many ways.

What are we doing to cling to this world?

blessings.

Yes, we must fight to the end to resist Satan and his world. We have the help of God's spirit and what He has provided in the Bible for us to read and employ. We are all worldly in many ways. That is why Jesus had to provide a way out for us to be saved from death. As long as we keep exerting ourselves to stay on the road to life, by following his teachings, we can resist Satan and his world.

Jesus said: "Exert yourselves vigorously to get in through the narrow door..." (Luke 13:24)

Peter wrote: "In fact, to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely." (I Peter 2:21)

KingdomRose

First of all, we need to get rid of our old way of living and mentality of the world.

And change to His ways.

Absolutely. At Romans chapter 12 we read this:

"Quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (Romans 12:2)

KingdomRose

So, you're saying that you MUST do 'good works' in order to EARN salvation, huh?

No, that's not what she or I have said. It's a pity that you don't understand what you say you read in the Scriptures. The Bible says that first we must HAVE FAITH IN JESUS AND HIS RANSOM SACRIFICE IN OUR BEHALF. That comes first.

Then we must show our faith by our works, and follow Jesus' teachings. We cannot "earn" our salvation. Jesus died for us and without his sacrifice we would be lost. We must, however, work in accordance with his life example and his teachings.

1) "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

2) "I will show thee my faith by my works....The devils also believe and tremble....Faith without works is dead." (James 2:18b-20)

3) "Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps." (I Peter 2:21)

That is it in a nutshell. Very easy to understand. Unless you want to shove aside what the Bible actually says.

marhig

So, you're saying that you MUST do 'good works' in order to EARN salvation, huh?
No she's not saying that, we, overcome the world through Christ by the power of the Spirit, we can't do it on our own!

And there are works to do, regardless of what you think!

Matthew 16

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

And here's your own apostle Paul talking about doing the works.

Romans 2

But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God.

Acts 26

But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Titus 1

Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Titus 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,

Titus 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Titus 3:14 And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.

2 Timothy 3

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works

marhig

John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

2 Peter 2:20
If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning.

1 John 4:4
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

1 John 5:4
for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

1 John 5:5
Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
Great subject to discuss! :)