ECT Our triune God

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
That is normally after the impress of the hypostasis of the Son upon the human hypostasis when a man is baptized into Christ, like Paul was...
Arsenios

Luke 3:16 KJV

16 John answered , saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh , the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose : he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Yo church dont do that.

There is still normally a whole lot of "the race" to run before the Son does much quickening... But He CAN quicken whenever and wherever He will, sho' 'nuff...

Only after a man sweeps his own house and the evil spirit comes back with 7 other nastier spirits does he quicken us.

Luke 11:24 KJV

24 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith , I will return unto my house whence I came out .

Luke 11:26 KJV

26 Then goeth he , and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in , and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

Last edited:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Then if not the Hypostasis, would you please LOCATE the WHO of God...

You've missed it. I've clearly said the hypostasis is the who; the ousia is the what.

So does a WHO have the wealth?

I can already see this is going back to your conflation of hypostatic union and perichoresis.

The who "has" the wealth. Each who has it's own wealth, which is the same kind of wealth as all others who have wealth.

Just as every hypostasis has its own proper prosopon, every hypostasis has it's own wealth of be-ing. No multi-hypostatic ousia. Multiple hypostases are multiple ousios. Period.

And is the WHO the Hypostasis?

In transcendence, the hypostasis is God. Processed into immanent creation as the express image, the hypostasis is the Son.

The problem is that you will filter what I've said through presumed uni-phenomenality and determine it to be some form of Modalism.

How about a discernable hypostasis? You "individuated" is heading into straw-man-dom...

No. Your multi-hypostatic ousia is bogus silliness, promoted for nearly two millennia against Apostolic understanding.

Cannot more than one WHO own the same unlimited (Divine) wealth?

Sure. Each gets an individuated share for their hypostasis as their ousia. Every hypostasis underlies its own ousia.

You don't get to divide up God's ousia.

Three partners in human terms can own one company, for instance... This is not that unthinkable as you are portraying it...

And, as always, you've made my point. Those three partners are hypostases, each with their own ousia. Not three hypostases sharing a singular ousia.

Congrats for continuously making my point that the Orthodox Trinity is just three Gorilla-glued siamese triplets. Three guys on a celestial couch. Three dudes sitting at a table playing Canasta.

A triplicate of man's image superimposed upon God.

Your "Nope"s are not helpful...

Oh.

You keep asserting this without showing it...

You're looking at one side of the cube. It's not me.

I know, and you are the only one in two thousand years to finally figure it out,

Many others have tried in a bazillion ways because the three hypostases/one ousia thing just doesn't sit well. I just refused to stop until I uncovered the omission of the Patristics while still honoring their predominantly great and faithful work.

Oddly enough,,, when I teach live with illustrations, everyone insists that it's the truth and they've always known it but couldn't express it.

but all that does is feed your vainglory, and does not help me even a little...

You have to presume it's vain glory on my part or you'd have to admit the Patristics weren't infallible.

Hooray! No "Nope"! :)

:banana:

Exactly so, because we were not discussing the Holy Spirit...

Good thing. The Holy Spirit isn't a third hypostasis, so...

Do you pray to the uncreated phenomenon?
"Dear Sir..."???

No, that's just stupid. Do you pray to the first hypostasis, "Dear One of Three"?

So the UP impressed the UN?

Sigh.

Such that the UP is comprised of Self-P and Self-N, and the Self-P can make an impression on the Self N in such a way so as to:

Sigh.

So it is this impressing of the hypostasis of the father upon the Son that makes the Hypostasis of the Father ACCESSIBLE to creation? And that without this,l creation cannot be accessed by the Father?

Well... No. But that's closer than you've ever gotten before.

Have I got this right???

Not really. But it could be better than how wrongly you were about it before.

The impressor impresses the impressed...

Thereby the impressor conveys the impression to the impressed by impressing itself upon the impressed...

The Rhema is impressing the Logos with God's singular hypostasis; to be re-presented in created phenomenon, including a prosopon.

So I am not sure how you think I understand this a-wrong...

It's still your uni-phenomenal filter. You've well earned it for years as your foundation.

With respect to the Son, the Father is the impressor, the Son the impressed (wax)...

The Son is the bracelet. The impress is the engraving, indicating the tool as the means and source.

With respect to man, the Son is the impressor, and man is the wax...

You agree??

The wax was on a parchment or document. Charakter is about the tool.

It is both, according to Thayer:

And Thayer is hit and miss.

1 the instrument used for engraving or carving
2 the mark stamped upon that instrument or wrought out on it
A a mark or figure burned in (Lev. 13:28) or stamped on, an impression
B the exact expression (the image) of any person or thing, marked likeness, precise reproduction in every respect, i.e facsimile

Yep. Stamped for re-presentation in creation. Hence the Son's distinct prosopon.

It feels like you are ranting a little here...

Maybe. Cuz you're sheetin' the cube.

Perhaps a branding iron would be a good visual - Red hot, it places the same mark on all the cows... Won't wash off... But the Iron and the Brand are both included in the meaning of the word: χαρακτηρ

And the branding iron and mark are not the cow. See? The cow is another hypostasis. The impress is not another hypostasis, but the branding iron and mark. Neither of those is the cow.

This is your THRUSTED Logos?

Thank-you...

Arsenios

The charakter is NOT the necklace or cow, etc. The impress is not another hypostasis. It's the impress.

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Philippians 1:9 would disagree with you and agree with me.

LAST........

2 Peter 1:5 KJV

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

Not that knowledge is a bad thing:)

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
In transcendence, the hypostasis is God. Processed into immanent creation as the express image, the hypostasis is the Son.

That's right.

The Father has nothing that causes Him to stand or subsist.

More to the point, Jesus nor any prophet or Apostle has said otherwise.

No, that's just stupid. Do you pray to the first hypostasis, "Dear One of Three"?

I pray to the one and only. ;)

Last edited:

Arsenios

16 John answered , saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh , the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose : he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Yo church dont do that.

We been doin' 'xactly dat fer 2K year now...

And countin'...

Sho' 'nuff...

Only after a man sweeps his own house and the evil spirit comes back with 7 other nastier spirits does he quicken us.

Think standing vigils...

Can't leave that house empty...

Luke 11:24 KJV

24 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith , I will return unto my house whence I came out .

That is why we have daily services...

Luke 11:26 KJV

26 Then goeth he , and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in , and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

Just keep persevering in the Faith to the end, Bro...

You'll be OK...

A.

fzappa13

Yo church dont do that.
None of them do. Can you imagine every church with a big kiln in the back and after you get dunked in the water it's off into the fire with you?

Soror1

Same hypostasis. One eternal prosopon as the Father in transcendence. One eternal prosopon in creation. The former in-shining into creation from transcendence as the unapproachable light in which the Father dwells. The Holy Spirit and Son co-inhere, giving both omnipresence and localized presence, "sharing" a singular prosopon.

This is why any may "appear" to Saints individually, but are not individuated uni-phenomenal hypostases.

Good morning, PPS!

I have a whole reply to your post to me written off-line (I dare not risk losing it here composing in situ) but then when I logged in to post I read and started following the exchange between you and Arsenios.

I am trying to understand "uni-phenomenal" as you apply it to (classic) Trinitarian thought. If I am understanding aright, I would not use "uni-phenomenal" to characterize it but "mono-phenomenal" and by that I mean each hypostasis has a proper prosopon with a proper phenomenon. "Uni" implies to me that there is one, shared phenomenon but (classic) Trinitarianism wouldn't necessarily say that.

And is that, in fact, what you disagree with as relates phenomenon? That there is one phenomenon proper to a prosopon?

I posted this earlier to Arsenios:

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:25)​

The Lord (hypostasis) make His face (prosopon) to shine (epiphaino) upon you and be gracious to you.​

That shining would be the proper shining of the proper face of the proper hypostasis being spoken of here (to me, the Son, since the Father's face cannot be seen).

At bottom, I understand you to have one hypostasis with two prosopon and--focusing on the Son right now--CT would have two hypostases with two prosopon. And that is in part because the Word, as a center of action, does things (Hebrews 4:12).

So if we could use this text (Numbers 6:25) as the foundation of the concepts being articulated here and reason "up" or abstract from that, I would be most appreciative. I hope you will indulge me! There are ways to consider the Trinity that don't necessarily result in Rublev's Trinity icon since they stress with you the emphasis on God's thinking thought of Himself as word in and through the Word which I would also like to explore more in your articulation of the distinctions between rhema and logos.

Soror1

Well at least we have established they are homonyms and can have different senses. Thank you. Now (apparently) we have to establish how "the Son of Man" implies deity if you cannot possibly see it yourself in Daniel.

So let's start here:

34 So the crowd answered him, “We have heard from the Law that the Christ remains forever. How can you say that the Son of Man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?” 35 So Jesus said to them, “The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going. 36 While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.”​

Do you agree that Jesus answers that the Son of Man is "the light" and "the light" is more than mere man?

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
That's right.

The Father has nothing that causes Him to stand or subsist.

I'm now sure you don't know the definition and application for hypostasis.

God doesn't HAVE a hypostasis, God IS a hypostasis. It's not something external to Him that holds Him up, etc.

More to the point, Jesus nor any prophet or Apostle has said otherwise.

I pray to the one and only. ;)

...who IS an uncreated eternal divine hypostasis. The only one. Him.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
LAST........

2 Peter 1:5 KJV

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

Not that knowledge is a bad thing:)

Ummm... The sequence in 2Peter is gnosis. Love abounds in epignosis.

"Knowing" the difference between gnosis and epignosis only demonstrates my point. Different knowledges.

And neither gnosis (knowledge) nor epignosis (knowledge) are oida (knowledge).

Ruh-roh...

Jerry Shugart

Well at least we have established they are homonyms and can have different senses. Thank you. Now (apparently) we have to establish how "the Son of Man" implies deity if you cannot possibly see it yourself in Daniel.

So let's start here:

34 So the crowd answered him, “We have heard from the Law that the Christ remains forever. How can you say that the Son of Man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?” 35 So Jesus said to them, “The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going. 36 While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.”​

Do you agree that Jesus answers that the Son of Man is "the light" and "the light" is more than mere man?

You are once again grasping at straws. Notice what is said in the last verse you quoted:

"While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light."

Since this is speaking about humans being sons of light then it is obvious that the Lord Jesus as "Son of Man" (The Lord as "Man") can also be "the light."

In fact, while on the earth in His flesh and blood body He said the following:

"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (Jn.8:12).​

So you certainly have not proven that when the Lord said that He is the Son of Man that he was claiming to be God.

If He wanted to say that He was God then He would use the term Son of God, not Son of Man.

Jerry Shugart

Speaking of answering things:

On one of the sites to which you gave a link we read:

"At Christmas we celebrate that Jesus became human that he might save us. Without ceasing to be fully divine, he took on full humanity."

According to this "Jesus became human," meaning that He was not always human.

But that idea cannot be reconciled with this verse:

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever" (Heb.13:8).​

Are you willing to argue that the Lord Jesus only had one nature and then at some point He acquired another nature but yet He did not change?

In other words, are you willing to argue that the Lord Jesus with but one nature is the same exact Jesus with two natures?

brinny

On one of the sites to which you gave a link we read:

"At Christmas we celebrate that Jesus became human that he might save us. Without ceasing to be fully divine, he took on full humanity."

According to this "Jesus became human," meaning that He was not always human.

But that idea cannot be reconciled with this verse:

Are you willing to argue that the Lord Jesus only had one nature and then at some point He acquired another nature but yet He did not change?

In other words, are you willing to argue that the Lord Jesus with but one nature is the same exact Jesus with two natures?

Jesus the Christ came to earth in a form, if you will, that was subject to death, that was frail, and could actually die.. Of course this does not mean that He STOPPED being a deity. It means that only in "human" form could He in essence, "die" for the purpose of being the Lamb of God, destroying sin, the curse, and death, our enemies, and God's, along with Satan who is the father of lies and has been a liar from the beginning.

Jesus REMAINED the same in the sense that He was never NOT God Almighty, even tho' His purpose required Him to take the form of a frail human to accomplish what He was sent here to do.

This is what He meant when He said that He and the Father are One:

"I and my Father are one." ~John 10:30

Thank you kindly.

Jerry Shugart

Jesus REMAINED the same in the sense that He was never NOT God Almighty, even tho' His purpose required Him to take the form of a frail human to accomplish what He was sent here to do.

This verse makes no such distinction, that He will remain the same in the sense that He will never not be God Almighty.

When these words were written the Lord Jesus had two natures, one being God and the other being God.

The author of Hebrews was speaking of the Lord Jesus with two natures when He said the following:

brinny

This verse makes no such distinction, that He will remain the same in the sense that He will never not be God Almighty.

When these words were written the Lord Jesus had two natures, one being God and the other being God.

The author of Hebrews was speaking of the Lord Jesus with two natures when He said the following:

Jesus the Christ's nature never changed. He remained ALWAYS God Almighty, regardless of "form" He may take. He REMAINED holy, and fully God. If His nature would have changed He could not have been the perfect Sacrifice for us, for it was His very nature that qualified Him to die for our sins.

Although i disagree, your interpretation of the verse that you posted is interesting.

Thank you kindly for sharing your opinion.

Jerry Shugart

Although i disagree, your interpretation of the verse that you posted is interesting.

These verses prove that the Lord Jesus was in heaven as Man before He came down to the earth:

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" (Jn.3:13).​

It was as Man that the Lord Jesus came down from heaven. That means that He was Man before He was born of Mary. And these words of the Lord Jesus teaches practically the same thing:

"What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?" (Jn.6:62).​

The Lord Jesus was in heaven as Man before He came down to earth and was born of Mary.

brinny

These verses prove that the Lord Jesus was in heaven as Man before He came down to the earth:

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" (Jn.3:13).​

It was as Man that the Lord Jesus came down from heaven. That means that He was Man before He was born of Mary. And these words of the Lord Jesus teaches practically the same thing:

"What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?" (Jn.6:62).​

The Lord Jesus was in heaven as Man before He came down to earth and was born of Mary.

Jesus the Christ was never a man in heaven before coming to earth. Nevertheless thank you kindly for sharing your opinion.

Jerry Shugart

Jesus the Christ was never a man in heaven before coming to earth. Nevertheless thank you kindly for sharing your opinion.

Then why would the Lord Jesus Himself say that the Son of Man was in heaven before He came down to the earth?:

Your mistake is thinking that a flesh and blood body is essential to being human.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Good morning, PPS!

Good morning/afternoon!!:banana::surf::banana:

I have a whole reply to your post to me written off-line (I dare not risk losing it here composing in situ)

Been there... Done that... Got the t-shirt... Shredded it to keep my own sanity barely intact... Possibly.
:cigar:

but then when I logged in to post I read and started following the exchange between you and Arsenios.

I am trying to understand "uni-phenomenal" as you apply it to (classic) Trinitarian thought. If I am understanding aright, I would not use "uni-phenomenal" to characterize it but "mono-phenomenal" and by that I mean each hypostasis has a proper prosopon with a proper phenomenon. "Uni" implies to me that there is one, shared phenomenon but (classic) Trinitarianism wouldn't necessarily say that.

Uni- is my reference to traditional Theology Proper formulaics as "uni"ting eternity and everlasting without distinction that the latter is created phenomenon (though giving lip service of bare assertion otherwise).

God created everlasting. God created heaven. And He inhabited everlasting (aeviternity) when/as He created ALL.

God alone is uncreated phenomenon. He created ALL where, when, what. The aeviternity of heaven is created phenomenon with created phenomena, and has wheres, whens, and whats.

God is eternity. There is no "eternity past" in the traditional sense. What most refer to as eternity is aeviternity (sempiternity). It had an inception. A beginning. It was created. And temporality is the "fallen" aions of the cosmos.

Traditionally, all formulaics (including anathemas) have insisted heaven is eternity (along with God) and the cosmos is temporality. And Aquinas did much damage in this regard, basically presenting two semi-congruous eternities. One for God, and one for heaven.

And is that, in fact, what you disagree with as relates phenomenon? That there is one phenomenon proper to a prosopon?

Not really in the sense you seem to be applying it as such, but getting close. Closer than anyone online has gotten; though when taught live with illustrations, everyone gets it epiphanally.

There are two phenomena of existence... uncreated and created. God alone is the former while all else is the latter, including heaven. Eternity (God) and aeviternity (with temporality as its subset for the fallen cosmos aions).

God as Spirit and His Logos are eternal and uncreated Self-Noumenon and Self-Phenomenon (Self-Conscious Self-Existence). The express image OF His hypostasis is NOT another hypostasis in uni-phenomenality. The express image is the impressing of God's hypostasis on His Logos by His Rhema to be re-presented in created phenomenon.

Rhema bookends Logos.

Rhema > Logos > Rhema

Think Rhema as pillars for Logos bridge from objective to subjective. Not an estimate of intellectual thought, but a procession of an express image that is the singular hypostasis re-presented by a distinct prosopon in creation.

Rhema > Logos > Rhema

Rhema is not just the latter as words that stand for the thing thought and spoken about by the Logos. Rhema is also the thing thought and spoken about. It stands for the subject matter of the word, but only because the Logos re-presents the objective by that subjective. And the Logos is focused upon the Rhema, which is God's singular hypostasis.

Rhema is both the objective reality and the subjective realization, with Logos expressing the former as the latter. The only objective reality is God's singular hypostasis; and anterior to the divine utterance, there was no thing (nothing) else to think and speak ABOUT.

Rhema is the signified AND the sign. Logos is the signifier/signifying of the objective as subjective. Creation is subjective, even when given objective reality. The only way for God's objective reality to inhabit subjective creation was for His hypostasis to be impressed into His Logos and uttered forth (and His Spirit was "concurrently" breathed forth) when/as creation was instantiated into existence.

God spoke and breathed forth (exerchomai/ekporeuomai) His singular hypostasis from uncreated Self-Phenomeon into created phenomenon.

I posted this earlier to Arsenios:

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:25)​

The Lord (hypostasis) make His face (prosopon) to shine (epiphaino) upon you and be gracious to you.​

That shining would be the proper shining of the proper face of the proper hypostasis being spoken of here (to me, the Son, since the Father's face cannot be seen).

Okay. But not a distinct additional hypostasis. The impressed hypostasis upon the Logos, uttered forth and re-presenting that hypostasis to be able to be seen. And the Father co-inheres with the Son by the Holy Spirit as the perichoretic.

The noumenality of the Logos is the Son. The noumenality of God AS Spirit is the Holy (set apart) Spirit. By His Self-Noumenal Self-Phenomenal Logos, God set apart the noumenon of Himself as Spirit (into creation) from the phenomenon of Himself as Spirit (in transcendence).

God's ousia (with its physis) and prosopon are eternally transcendent, as is His hypostasis. But by the energies of His essence as ecomony, His hypostasis co-inheres with the processed Logos and Pneuma to be the timeless uncreated Father with the Son and Holy Spirit.

But God's innate hypostasis is not intrinsically compatible with created phenomena, maintaining His unchanging transcendent attributes in creation. And His unchanging ousia/physis/prosopon remains immovable and non-processed from transcendence, for it is from whence come the energies for ecomony. (This single aspect is what Aristotle perverted as his "unmoved mover" concept as "god".)

In the created heaven, there is the Father's co-inhering transcendent timeless hypostasis dwelling in the unapproachable light of His in-shining transcendent prosopon. And there is the processed Logos as the express image OF that hypostasis with a localized personal presence (prosopon). And there is the two-fold qualitatively-distinct co-processed and omnipresent set apart (Holy) Spirit, co-inhering with the Son and "sharing" that prosopon.

This is NOT Modalism (not even close), which is uni-phenomenal. But it's what Modalists were trying to capture and represent in various ways.

Apart from the Holy Spirit not having an individuated prosopon (because ultimately WE are the collective prosopon for the Holy Spirit), this LOOKS and FUNCTIONS like three uni-phenomenal hypostases.

But the traditional formulaics ALL started post-procession and post-creation, attempting then to account for procession and creation uni-phenomenally in arrears.

At bottom, I understand you to have one hypostasis with two prosopon and--focusing on the Son right now--CT would have two hypostases with two prosopon. And that is in part because the Word, as a center of action, does things (Hebrews 4:12).

They're the same hypostasis. Same center of action. Logos in uncreated phenomenality, (uncreated) Son in created phenomenality.

So if we could use this text (Numbers 6:25) as the foundation of the concepts being articulated here and reason "up" or abstract from that, I would be most appreciative. I hope you will indulge me! There are ways to consider the Trinity that don't necessarily result in Rublev's Trinity icon since they stress with you the emphasis on God's thinking thought of Himself as word in and through the Word which I would also like to explore more in your articulation of the distinctions between rhema and logos.

This is a breakthrough, even if it's still fuzzy. Though in live teaching many have understood, you're the first online to get a whiff of multi-phenomenality in contrast to multi-hypostaticism.

:banana::surf::banana:

Last edited: