Other Sabbath Rest And Colossians 2:16 Commentary

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Other Sabbath Rest[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Colossians 2:16[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Commentary[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Colossians 2:16[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Sabbath days spoken of here in Colossians, has to do with letting the land rest, mentioned in the scriptures below. It has nothing to do with God’s Seventh Day Sabbath; otherwise there would be a contradiction in the scriptures. The Seventh Day Sabbath is to be kept by all of mankind continually. It is also a sign of who God’s people are.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Exodus 23:10[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ Sabbath Laws ] “For six years you are to sow your fields and harvest the crops…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leviticus 23:39[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“‘So beginning with the fifteenth day of the seventh month, after you have gathered the crops of the land, celebrate the festival to the Lord for seven days; the first day is a day of Sabbath rest, and the eighth day also is a day of Sabbath rest. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leviticus 25:1-2[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ The Sabbath Year ] The Lord said to Moses at Mount Sinai, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When you enter the land I am going to give you, the land itself must observe a Sabbath to the Lord. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leviticus 25:4[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But in the seventh year the land is to have a year of Sabbath rest, a Sabbath to the Lord.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Do not sow your fields or prune your vineyards. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leviticus 25:6[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whatever the land yields during the Sabbath year will be food for you—for yourself, your male and female servants, and [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leviticus 25:8[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ The Year of Jubilee ] “‘Count off seven Sabbath years—seven times seven years—so that the seven Sabbath years amount to a period of forty-nine years. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leviticus 26:34[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then the land will enjoy its Sabbath years[/FONT][FONT=&quot] all the time that it lies desolate and you are in the country of your enemies; then the land will rest and enjoy its Sabbaths. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leviticus 26:35[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All the time that it lies desolate, the land will have the rest it did not have during the Sabbaths you lived in it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leviticus 26:43[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the land will be deserted by them and will enjoy its Sabbaths[/FONT][FONT=&quot] while it lies desolate without them. They will pay for their sins because they rejected my laws and abhorred my decrees. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Chronicles 36:21[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The land enjoyed its Sabbath rests; all the time of its desolation it rested,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] until the seventy years were completed in fulfillment of the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is a partial list of scriptures of what was done away with for the New Covenant. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Festivals rejected by Yahwah since 70 AD.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]Psalm 40:6[/FONT]
Sacrifice and offering you did not desire— but a body you have prepared for me — burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.

[FONT=&quot]Psalm 51:16[/FONT]
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.

[FONT=&quot]Proverbs 21:3[/FONT]
To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

[FONT=&quot]Isaiah 1:11[/FONT]
“The multitude of [FONT=&quot]your sacrifices[/FONT]— what are they to me?” says the LORD. “I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.

[FONT=&quot]Isaiah 1:14[/FONT]
Your New Moon feasts and [FONT=&quot]your appointed festivals[/FONT] I hate with all my being. They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them.

[FONT=&quot]Zephaniah 3:18[/FONT]
“I will remove from you all who mourn over the loss of [FONT=&quot]your appointed festivals[/FONT], which is a burden and reproach for you.

[FONT=&quot]Lamentations 2:6[/FONT]
He has laid waste his dwelling like a garden; he has destroyed his place of meeting. The LORD has made Zion forget [FONT=&quot]her appointed festivals[/FONT] and her Sabbaths; in his fierce anger he has spurned both king and priest.

[FONT=&quot]Hosea 2:11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will stop all her celebrations:[/FONT] her yearly festivals, her New Moons, her Sabbath days—all her appointed festivals.

[FONT=&quot]Amos 5:21[/FONT]
“I hate, I despise [FONT=&quot]your[/FONT] religious festivals; your assemblies are a stench to me. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Since the days of Adam; Festivals, Sacrifices, and Offerings, has been a tradition of mankind. God only instructed Moses on how the people were to perform those things. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Festivals, Sacrifices, and Offerings[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeremiah 7[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
21 This is what the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel, says: “Add your burnt offerings to your other sacrifices, and eat the meat yourselves, 22 for when I brought your ancestors out of the land of Egypt, I did not speak with them or command them concerning burnt offering and sacrifice.
26 However, they wouldn’t listen to Me or pay attention, but became obstinate; they did more evil than their ancestors. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zechariah 11:10
Then I took my staff called Favor and broke it, revoking the covenant I had made with all the nations. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeremiah 31:31
“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a covenant with the people of Israel (nation) and with the people of Judah (faithful.) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Old Covenant has been revoked; we now live under the New Covenant.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Epoisses

The Sabbath cults are taking over the world and the blame lies squarely with the dispensational churches who refuse to acknowledge or accept any spiritual application of the scriptures.

The Sabbath has been fulfilled by the life, death and resurrection of Christ. Christians rest in the finished work of Christ not a day. Paul an actual old covenant Sabbath keeper before conversion said there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God that can only be entered by faith.

CherubRam

The Sabbath cults are taking over the world and the blame lies squarely with the dispensational churches who refuse to acknowledge or accept any spiritual application of the scriptures.

The Sabbath has been fulfilled by the life, death and resurrection of Christ. Christians rest in the finished work of Christ not a day. Paul an actual old covenant Sabbath keeper before conversion said there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God that can only be entered by faith.

[FONT=&quot]Psalm 95:11
So I declared on oath in my anger, "They shall never enter my rest."

Hebrews 3:11
So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' "

Hebrews 3:18
And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed ?
They disobeyed His commandments.

Hebrews 4:3
Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' "
Those who believed in keeping His commandments.

Hebrews 4:1
Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.

Hebrews 4:5
And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest."

God’s rest comes at the end of the thousand years, after He makes all things new.

[/FONT]

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Commandments[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 95:11[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The people kept breaking God's commands. After the final Judgment when God makes all thing new it will be the 7000th year, then all will rest. (7000th Hebrew solar calendar time.) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Proverbs 19:16[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whoever keeps commandments keeps their life[/FONT][FONT=&quot], but whoever shows contempt for their ways will die.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Those who keep His commands keep their life.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 19:17[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot] Oh, look, the one's getting into heaven are the one's who keep the commandments.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 12:17[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
And the dragon was angry with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her children, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Yahshua the Messiah.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 14:12[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Yahshua.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 22:14[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have a right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

[/FONT]

daqq

What you have suggested does not line up with Hebrews 4 at all, (if that is what you mean), for it actually says nothing about faith and rather seems to be speaking of obedience or the lack thereof which is a disobedient kind of disbelief, (Heb 4:6-12 ASV, Heb 4:6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12).

Hebrews 4:4-12 ASV
4 For he hath said somewhere of the seventh day on this wise, And God rested on the seventh day from all his works;
5 and in this place again, They shall not enter into my rest.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some should enter thereinto, and they to whom the good tidings were before preached failed to enter in because of disobedience,
7 he again defineth a certain day, To-day, saying in David so long a time afterward (even as hath been said before), To-day if ye shall hear his voice, Harden not your hearts.
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken afterward of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest hath himself also rested from his [own] works, as God did from his.
11 Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, that no man fall after the same example of disobedience.
12 For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart.

It appears to be speaking of ceasing from our own works, (or the "works of the law"), but he says immediately following, "BECAUSE the Word of Elohim is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart." So there appears to be something amiss in your understanding because of the connection to the Word of Elohim, and doing the will of Elohim, (without which no one will receive the Promise, Heb 10:35-39 KJV, 1Thes 4:1-2, 3-8).

Epoisses

What you have suggested does not line up with Hebrews 4 at all, (if that is what you mean), for it actually says nothing about faith and rather seems to be speaking of obedience or the lack thereof which is a disobedient kind of disbelief, (Heb 4:6-12 ASV, Heb 4:6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12).

Hebrews 4:4-12 ASV
4 For he hath said somewhere of the seventh day on this wise, And God rested on the seventh day from all his works;
5 and in this place again, They shall not enter into my rest.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some should enter thereinto, and they to whom the good tidings were before preached failed to enter in because of disobedience,
7 he again defineth a certain day, To-day, saying in David so long a time afterward (even as hath been said before), To-day if ye shall hear his voice, Harden not your hearts.
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken afterward of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest hath himself also rested from his [own] works, as God did from his.
11 Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, that no man fall after the same example of disobedience.
12 For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart.

It appears to be speaking of ceasing from our own works, (or the "works of the law"), but he says immediately following, "BECAUSE the Word of Elohim is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart." So there appears to be something amiss in your understanding because of the connection to the Word of Elohim, and doing the will of Elohim, (without which no one will receive the Promise, Heb 10:35-39 KJV, 1Thes 4:1-2, 3-8).

Ceasing from our own works and obedience to the law are diametrically opposed to each other in case your limited understanding failed to grasp that.

daqq

Ceasing from our own works and obedience to the law are diametrically opposed to each other in case your limited understanding failed to grasp that.

The Testimony of Messiah, Paul, and the author of Hebrews, are one Testimony of the Scripture united, which are diametrically opposed to your limited understanding, in case you failed to grasp what was said by way of the Scripture.

As referenced:

Hebrews 10:35-39 KJV
35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
36 For ye have need of patience, that,
after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 KJV
1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.
7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.

And moreover:

1 John 2:1-6 KJV
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1 John 3:3-10 KJV
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he
[Messiah] is pure.
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

No one receives the Promise without first having done the will of Elohim, (Heb 10:36 KJV), and Paul defines for us what is the perfect will of Elohim, that we know how to walk according to the commandments of the Master, that is, to cut off sin from ourselves and our "bodily members", ("Mortify your members which are upon the earth", Col 3:5, and "Mortify the deeds of the body", Rom 8:13). He therefore that despises, despises not man, but Elohim, who has also given to us His Holy Spirit, (1Thes 4:8). We therefore put away our own works and, in Messiah, do the works of Elohim by way of doing the Testimony of Messiah which is found in the Gospel accounts, (and the Apocalypse).

marhig

[FONT=&quot] Oh, look, the one's getting into heaven are the one's who keep the commandments.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 12:17[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
And the dragon was angry with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her children, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Yahshua the Messiah.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 14:12[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Yahshua.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 22:14[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have a right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

[/FONT]
Yes, and i was reading this yesterday.

1 Corinthians 7:19

Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

I don't know why people think they don't have to obey Gods commandments, that's just foolishness, we are to obey the living God and do his will. And Christ Jesus says that those who live by the will of the father are those who enter into the kingdom of heaven.

CherubRam

Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

I don't know why people think they don't have to obey Gods commandments, that's just foolishness, we are to obey the living God and do his will. And Christ Jesus says that those who live by the will of the father are those who enter into the kingdom of heaven.

At times it is difficult to understand what other people think.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't know why people think they don't have to obey Gods commandments...

It's simple, Constantine commanded everyone except farmers to observe the venerable day of the sun. Sabbath observance was prohibited.

Constantine's commands have never been rescinded so people today still keep his commands.

Epoisses

Can you generate faith and love in your heart? No you can't so your commandment keeping is worthless. Everything that God commands he then enables us to perform. So if God wants you to do something he will then give you the power to do it. You don't do anything.

Epoisses

It's simple, Constantine commanded everyone except farmers to observe the venerable day of the sun. Sabbath observance was prohibited.

Constantine's commands have never been rescinded so people today still keep his commands.

It doesn't matter what day you go to church on. There is no power in Sunday and no power in Saturday. God deals with us based on our faith period. The day doesn't even come into the equation.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It doesn't matter what day you go to church on. There is no power in Sunday and no power in Saturday. God deals with us based on our faith period. The day doesn't even come into the equation.

Faith is what we do, it's the evidence of belief.

There is no power in Sunday or Saturday, the power is in God's Spirit which God gives to those who obey him. (Acts 5:32)

CherubRam

The Sabbath was important enough for God to ask us to remember it. If it is important to God, shouldn't it be important to you?

daqq

The Sabbath was important enough for God to ask us to remember it. If it is important to God, shouldn't it be important to you?

That right there is one of the reasons I do not spend much time in Sabbath threads; for if the Father says to remember it, who am I to run around reminding people? Not saying your thread is improper or anything like that but we do show our love by keeping His Word, and His Word says to remember the Shabbat and keep it holy, (at least those truly grafted into Israel).

CherubRam

That right there is one of the reasons I do not spend much time in Sabbath threads; for if the Father says to remember it, who am I to run around reminding people? Not saying your thread is improper or anything like that but we do show our love by keeping His Word, and His Word says to remember the Shabbat and keep it holy, (at least those truly grafted into Israel).

I think people have been taught man made doctrines for so long that they believe it is the truth. Anyway, I try to point people the right direction based upon scriptures. Just in case someone really is looking for the truth.

Epoisses

Faith is what we do, it's the evidence of belief.

There is no power in Sunday or Saturday, the power is in God's Spirit which God gives to those who obey him. (Acts 5:32)

Faith is what we do. Faith is what you 'do' because you don't have any.