O'Reilly is changing my mind RE "free" college...

republicanchick

I watched O'Reilly last night and he was talking about the free college thing Pres O wants to instigate... or whatever...

I considered his view and all the sudden it was like... i had one of these moments: :hammer::bang::doh:

or in other words What the HECK was I thinking?!

You could put into ONE word what is wrong with THAT picture...

and we all know what that one word is, don't we?

Government

Think: US Post office...

Think: Obamacare

Think: IRS

Think: Veteran's hospitals

NO! I was in la la land whne I said we should have "free" colleges, even if they are only community colleges.

W/ the gov involved, the college campuses will be even more... uh... well, you know... if this is even POSSIBLE (?) more liberal...

and frankly, I wouldn't even want to go to college if the gov ran it. And yet, the gov already DOES sorta give people $ for college... pell grants

so maybe we could eliminate the pell grant thing and just have the private college assess your financial situation?

I don't know...

but government should take care ONLY of infrastructure (roads, bridges, dams), the military and that is about it... all else should be privatized...

++

republicanchick

if i call bill and ask him nicely, will he pay my tuition?

he might.

I would ask him b4 I would ask... some lib like Anderson Cooper who is probably too busy ... uh... well, you know... w/ his boyfriend... to pay you any attn...

geez... I am disgusting myself...

:sigh:

OK, I don't want to leave on that horrible note...

I will leave on this question: Are you saying u think O'Reilly is a hypocrite or something? I mean... I don't know... kind of hard to "hear" sarcasm on the i-net

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It took Bill O'Reilly to make you realize that "free" community college is a horrible idea???? :idunno:

Either way... I'm glad you came around. :)

Quincy

so maybe we could eliminate the pell grant thing and just have the private college assess your financial situation?

I don't know...

but government should take care ONLY of infrastructure (roads, bridges, dams), the military and that is about it... all else should be privatized...

++ [/FONT][/SIZE]

Just change the culture. Instead of pushing kids to take out huge debt and grants straight out of high school, have businesses pay for students to learn a trade for exchange of a work contract. A local hospital could pay for a student to get a LPN license, if the student agrees to work at the hospital for X amount of years afterwards, for example. The young person learns a trade, works a few years and then they can save up money to pay cash for university or college. The price of college would go down then, if all students paid cash. There wouldn't be unpaid loans and more need for bigger grants driving up the price of college tuition.

Or another solution, colleges can adopt this program from Alice Lloyd College. Many students graduate from that college with no debt.

WorkProgram

Someone's God forbid the President doesn't do any research and try to actually pioneer a new solution, let's just fall back on the ages old flawed tax and spend method.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I watched O'Reilly last night and he was talking about the free college thing Pres O wants to instigate... or whatever...

I considered his view and all the sudden it was like... i had one of these moments: :hammer::bang::doh:

You could put into ONE word what is wrong with THAT picture...

and we all know what that one word is, don't we?

Government

Think: US Post office...

Think: Obamacare

Think: IRS

Think: Veteran's hospitals

NO! I was in la la land whne I said we should have "free" colleges, even if they are only community colleges.

W/ the gov involved, the college campuses will be even more... uh... well, you know... if this is even POSSIBLE (?) more liberal...

and frankly, I wouldn't even want to go to college if the gov ran it. And yet, the gov already DOES sorta give people $ for college... pell grants

I don't know...

++
Lincoln established more than two dozen land grant colleges.

We need to be honest about this. This country does not put education at a high priority. Germany and other European countries value learning and criticism.

Simply put, we don't.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We need to be honest about this. This country does not put education at a high priority. Germany and other European countries value learning and criticism.

Simply put, we don't.
Yet we are the greatest country on earth. Go figure.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just change the culture. Instead of pushing kids to take out huge debt and grants straight out of high school, have businesses pay for students to learn a trade for exchange of a work contract.
I'm pulled in two directions by that notion. On the one hand it seems fair, where the education is mostly aimed at that particular employment...on the other hand it saddens me that we've turned universities into the equivalent of intellectual trade schools when the point was much broader (and better for the country as per the citizens and leaders it produced) at inception.

A local hospital could pay for a student to get a LPN license, if the student agrees to work at the hospital for X amount of years afterwards, for example.
Or make them the note holder with employment constituting a potential means of repayment and provisions for other potentials. Say they want to down size, ending employment or the employee simply doesn't do a good job or despite the education isn't a fit for the employer. That sort of thing.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't want to pay for other people's education.

I already get forced to pay for the public school system which I don't use. Now college?

Pay for your own college.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't want to pay for other people's education.
We'll pay for it if people aren't educated. That's the rub. Produce enough under educated people with not enough unskilled labor to go around and it impacts everything else.

I already get forced to pay for the public school system which I don't use. Now college?

Pay for your own college.
What do you think about Q's notion(s)?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Yet we are the greatest country on earth. Go figure.
As long as we deny the "logs" in our own eye and continually point out the speck of sawdust in the eye of others, we should be fine.

Also, if we focus on our good intentions and then deliberately turn away from the terrible consequences of those "good" intentions we will continue to be the greatest nation on the planet.

Toddlers like to say that Mommy is good and anyone who criticizes her is wrong and bad. I can certainly understand that. It is love and attachment, but it is at an immature level, I think.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As long as we deny the "logs" in our own eye and continually point out the speck of sawdust in the eye of others, we should be fine.
I didn't say we were perfect, I said we were the best country in the world.

Liberals want us to imitate Europe. Why? Europe sucks.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We'll pay for it if people aren't educated. That's the rub. Produce enough under educated people with not enough unskilled labor to go around and it impacts everything else.
Hogwash.

Higher education is overrated.

Furthermore... you want to go to college? Great! Pay for it yourself.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Only ungodly lost souls don't like Fox News and Bill O'Reilly.