Oregon Judge Refuses To Perform Same-Sex Marriages

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
First, they're not "perceived" rights. They have the right to marry as decided by the US Supreme Court.

And the right to religious freedom is a constitutional right not some half baked law pushed upon the people by the personal bias' of a supreme court justice. The so-called rights are perceived if others do not recognize the authority of the SCOTUS to trample their rights to impose it. This same court also has made past decisions that have been ignored, opposed, & overturned and it is in public descent that laws get overturned. The SCOTUS overstepped their constitutional boundaries on this one...expect to see more civil disobedience as time goes on.

Also, if our government grants the right to discriminate based on religious beliefs to Christians, it has to allow the same for people of all beliefs and non-beliefs.

They already do...No Prayer in school unless your a muslim? How about the gay bakeries that refuse to make wedding cakes for straight christian couples? Both are happening now and Yes, the right to have a worldview & reject/discriminate against another worldview already exists. You cannot legislate social acceptance as much as you would like to try.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
we are a nation of laws
are we safer with kim in jail?

Nah, she doesn't belong in jail ... she just needs to lose her job and carry the legacy of an employee who refuses to fulfill her required duties.

Quetzal

feel free to head on over there and check it out for me

take your time
My point is that Saudi Arabia has laws based on what they believe is God's laws. In reality, it is not a very welcoming place to visit for a large number of people. I imagine if you drafted laws according to what you believe God's laws are, it would be similar here.

Jose Fly

And the right to religious freedom is a constitutional right

Yes it is. But it is not a universal get-out-of-jail-free card that allows one to break whatever laws one wishes.

not some half baked law pushed upon the people by the personal bias' of a supreme court justice. The so-called rights are perceived if others do not recognize the authority of the SCOTUS to trample their rights to impose it.

Do you feel the same about Loving v. Virginia?

This same court also has made past decisions that have been ignored, opposed, & overturned and it is in public descent that laws get overturned.

Or, as is more often than not, the laws continue.

The SCOTUS overstepped their constitutional boundaries on this one.

How? They acted exactly as the Constitution directs them to, i.e., evaluating the Constitutionality of laws.

expect to see more civil disobedience as time goes on.

I'm sure.

They already do...No Prayer in school unless your a muslim?

What in the world are you talking about?

How about the gay bakeries that refuse to make wedding cakes for straight christian couples?

Where? Link please.

You cannot legislate social acceptance as much as you would like to try.

No one's asking for acceptance. Just as people are still free to believe that interracial marriage is immoral and wrong, you remain free to believe the same about same sex marriage.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
No one's asking for acceptance. Just as people are still free to believe that interracial marriage is immoral and wrong, you remain free to believe the same about same sex marriage.
:yawn: Skin color is irrelevant (Ac 17:11). Sexual sin (heterosexual [Lev. 20:10–12]/homosexual [Lev. 20:10,13]) is relevant. :dizzy:

Last edited:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Yes it is. But it is not a universal get-out-of-jail-free card that allows one to break whatever laws one wishes.

It's called civil disobedience unless you haven't heard it is all the rage, your president has been ignoring the law at his preference going on 7 years now. Hey people are just following his lead on this one.

Do you feel the same about Loving v. Virginia?

What about it? That a black man can marry a white woman or vice versa? No rub at all, it is a natural & legitimate union of a man & a woman. There is nothing natural or legitimate about homosexuality...it is an anomaly.

Or, as is more often than not, the laws continue.

Do They? Dred Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson, Korematsu v US and numerous more crappy decisions from a politically motivated judicial body.

How? They acted exactly as the Constitution directs them to, i.e., evaluating the Constitutionality of laws.

No, they did not, they imposed the political whims of an illegitimate group upon the constitutional rights of those that oppose it on religious & moral grounds. In essence they have pitted the constitution against itself by creating rights for an illegitimate group based upon aberrant behavior not even named in the constitution.

I'm sure.

Bet on it...

What in the world are you talking about?

You must live under a rock and this is not the only instance of it...

http://lastresistance.com/9546/michigan-public-school-board-allows-muslims-pray/

Where? Link please.

Read about it right here on TOL...

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106423

Oh but, that is where you are dead wrong, the homosexual movement is all about acceptance & legitimacy of physiologically unnatural behavior which cannot be legislated. I don't believe anyone denies the sexual legitimacy of a marriage between a man & a woman regardless of race or ethnicity, nor is it even in the ballpark as a parallel for the opposition to homosexual marriage or the legitimacy of said marriage on biological, physiological, or moral grounds.

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
And she refused to follow the law, despite taking an oath pledging to uphold it.

No she didnt, in the state of kentucky its illegal, she followed the law, the supreme court cant make law- they can only intepret it. Its still up to the state or congress to make the law that allows it. That hasnt happened yet.

We are certainly a more lawful society.
False, congress is who makes law.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
People going into public businesses and expecting to be treated like everyone else? Or going into government buildings and expecting the government to not discriminate against them.
You discriminate every day. You discriminate between good eggs and rotten eggs. You discriminate between good milk and sour milk. You discriminate between good fish and bad fish. :idunno: What's wrong with having discriminating tastes? Is 5:20

Quetzal

You discriminate every day. You discriminate between good eggs and rotten eggs. You discriminate between good milk and sour milk. You discriminate between good fish and bad fish. :idunno: What's wrong with having discriminating tastes? Is 5:20
Now imagine that if you didn't like eggs, you were not allowed to get married. To discriminate or have a bias in and within itself is harmless. When there are legal restrictions attached to those discriminations, that is the problem.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Now imagine that if you didn't like eggs, you were not allowed to get married."
I imagine that's in The Constitution :freak: if you look hard enough (Is 5:20).

"To discriminate or have a bias in and within itself is harmless."
:popcorn:

"When there are legal restrictions attached to those discriminations, that is the problem."
Think murder is a problem? How 'bout adultery? Kidnapping? :plain: These are all problems to God-fearing people. Gen. 13:13

Quetzal

I imagine that's in The Constitution :freak: if you look hard enough (Is 5:20).

:popcorn:

Think murder is a problem? How 'bout adultery? Kidnapping? :plain: These are all problems to God-fearing people. Gen. 13:13
I can choose if I want to kill someone. I can choose to cheat on my wife. I can choose to kidnap the next door neighbor. I cannot choose the sex of a person that I am attracted to. Whatever excuse you use to ostracize and demonize people is up to you. Just don't expect everyone to support you.