One easy question

jamaix

What day is the Sabbath? And if it is Saturday , why do most people go to church on Sunday ? The Bible says keep the Sabbath holy ?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

I didn't read through this entire thread so if this response is a duplication of one already given I apologize.

I'm a Christian and I'll explain why I worship on Sunday and not on Saturdays(Sabbath)

A few questions to consider...
Who delivered the commandment to remember the sabbath and to whom was the command given?
Why were they commanded to remember the Sabbath?
What was the purpose of the command?
What is the example set forth for Christians in the New Testament?

The 4th commandment delivered to the Israelite's via Moses required them to set the 7th day (Sabbath) of the week aside as a holy day.

Moses speaking to the Israelites
New King James Version Exodus 31:13
“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you."

Moses again addressing the Israelites (detailing why God wants the Israelites to observe the Sabbath)
Deuteronomy 5:1
"Moses summoned all Israel and said: Hear, Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them."
Deuteronomy 5:6
"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
dropping down to Deuteronomy 5:12 - 15
"Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God has commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns, so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

Above verses detail the purpose of the command to remember the Sabbath.
There are a couple of things that the Sabbath day illustrated to the Israelites: It reminded them that God created the world and rested on the seventh day, and it reminded them that they were once slaves in Egypt but God delivered them and gave them rest. Important to note that the second point is not true for most of the world. It was specific to the Israelites. I know my ancestors were not slaves in Egypt. However, that is fine because the laws given to the Israelites by Moses were only meant for the Israelites. Let me refer you back to the first verse of Deuteronomy Chapter 5. Deuteronomy 5:1 Moses summoned all Israel and said: Hear, Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them.

New Testament example for Christians (followers of Christ)

The reason why I worship on the first day of the week (Sunday) is easily explained. It is the day New Testament Christians worshiped. The first day of the week (Sunday) is notable because it is when the disciples came together to partake of the Lord's supper(Holy Communion/Eucharist) as well as the day contributions were collected.

Acts 20:7
Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

While the day of rest (Sabbath day) held significance to the Israelites, the first day of the week holds special meaning to Christians. Scripture states that the Lord arose from the grave on the first day of the week.

Mark 16:1-6
Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him. 2 Very early in the morning, on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen. 3 And they said among themselves, “Who will roll away the stone from the door of the tomb for us?” 4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone had been rolled away—for it was very large. 5 And entering the tomb, they saw a young man clothed in a long white robe sitting on the right side; and they were alarmed.
6 But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He is risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid Him.

Also check out
Luke 24: 1-6
John 20: 1-9

Therefore, the first day of the week became known as "the Lord's day."

God's Truth

I didn't read through this entire thread so if this response is a duplication of one already given I apologize.

I'm a Christian and I'll explain why I worship on Sunday and not on Saturdays(Sabbath)

Who delivered the commandment to remember the sabbath and to whom was the command given?

The 4th commandment delivered to the Israelite's via Moses required them to set the 7th day (Sabbath) of the week aside as a holy day.

“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you."

Moses again addressing the Israelites (detailing why God wants the Israelites to observe the Sabbath)
"Moses summoned all Israel and said: Hear, Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them."
"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
"Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God has commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns, so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

There are a couple of things that the Sabbath day illustrated to the Israelites: It reminded them that God created the world and rested on the seventh day, and it reminded them that they were once slaves in Egypt but God delivered them and gave them rest. Important to note that the second point is not true for most of the world. It was specific to the Israelites. I know my ancestors were not slaves in Egypt. However, that is fine because the laws given to the Israelites by Moses were only meant for the Israelites. Let me refer you back to the first verse of Deuteronomy Chapter 5. Deuteronomy 5:1 Moses summoned all Israel and said: Hear, Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them.

The reason why I worship on the first day of the week (Sunday) is easily explained. It is the day New Testament Christians worshiped. The first day of the week (Sunday) is notable because it is when the disciples came together to partake of the Lord's supper(Holy Communion/Eucharist) as well as the day contributions were collected.

Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

While the day of rest (Sabbath day) held significance to the Israelites, the first day of the week holds special meaning to Christians. Scripture states that the Lord arose from the grave on the first day of the week.

Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him. 2 Very early in the morning, on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen. 3 And they said among themselves, “Who will roll away the stone from the door of the tomb for us?” 4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone had been rolled away—for it was very large. 5 And entering the tomb, they saw a young man clothed in a long white robe sitting on the right side; and they were alarmed.
6 But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He is risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid Him.

Also check out

We are to worship Jesus all day every day.

Special days are worthless when it comes to salvation.

jamaix

Hello God's Truth, I am new to the forum so I'm not familiar with you. Nice to meet you.

We are to worship Jesus all day every day.
I agree that God should be a part of every day. Everything we do should be God honoring.

Special days are worthless when it comes to salvation.
Every day should be the Lord's day, but we do have apostolic examples that guide us.
I find the following verses as well as many others helpful in my Christian walk
http://biblehub.com/luke/10-27.htm
http://biblehub.com/john/14-15.htm
http://biblehub.com/hebrews/10-25.htm

We are admonished not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together. Which means we are obviously expected to come together. There are also verses addressing the manner in which worship services are to be conducted starting here. http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/14-33.htm

There are many others but it is getting late and I'm going to sign off for now.
Have a good evening!

CherubRam

Also check out

Exodus 20:6
And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Exodus 20:8
Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

Exodus 31:17-16
Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Romans 9:6
It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

True and False Disciples
Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers!’
God's will is that we keep His commands.

Matthew 5:19
I have noticed that Matthew 5:19 is not correctly translated. The word (THESE) follows the word (commands) in the original text.
of these” should read “of the” ( TWN / TON )

“These” is referring to people, not the commands.

5130 / toutwn / touton: genitive case plural masculine or neuter of outoV - houtos 3778; of (from or concerning) these (persons or things):--such, their, these (things), they, this sort, those.

See Matthew 5:19 link: http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...reek_Index.htm

Matthew 5:19
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands, and teaches others accordingly, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This is how Matthew 5:19 should read:
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of the commands, and those teaching others accordingly, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Bee1

Hello God's Truth, I am new to the forum so I'm not familiar with you. Nice to meet you.

I agree that God should be a part of every day. Everything we do should be God honoring.

Every day should be the Lord's day, but we do have apostolic examples that guide us.

We are admonished not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together. Which means we are obviously expected to come together. There are also verses addressing the manner in which worship services are to be conducted starting here. http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/14-33.htm

Have a good evening!
It is easy to copy and paste about ten verses from the Bible and give that for your answer but the very same Bible you are using tell you unequivocally that Saturday is th Sabbath.

God's Truth

I thank you and nice to meet you too.

I am glad that you agree.

We are admonished not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together. Which means we are obviously expected to come together. There are also verses addressing the manner in which worship services are to be conducted starting here.
http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/14-33.htm

There are things that were done during the laying of the foundation. The foundation has been laid. We no longer have to go to people’s homes/church to hear from the apostles, a prophecy, an interpretation, a letter read from an apostle.

Have a good evening!

I barely noticed this post to me. I am sorry I didn’t get to it sooner.

eleos

There were no Jews when the Lord created His Sabbath ... it was the 7th day of the Lord's creation. He blessed it and sanctified it. The Sabbath was created for man (mankind). #4 of the 10 commandments and we are told to remember it and keep it holy.

Mark 2

27Then Jesus told them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Did he say the 7th day Sabbath was for Jews only? NO Did Jesus say we could not keep the 7th day Sabbath? no .... Did Jesus himself keep the 7th day Sabbath? Yes Did all the apostles keep the 7th day Sabbath? Yes

Lord over the Sabbath - Jesus Owns it. Jesus kept the 7th day Sabbath even in his death, He rested in the tomb. If the 7th day Sabbath is important to Jesus ... it is important to us. If He kept it, we should keep it.

There were (and are) many different "cerimonial sabbaths" kept by the Jews. The 7th day Sabbath is different than all other "cerimonial sabbaths". The "cerimonial sabbaths" (not the 7th day) are those that are "shadows of the past".

It is amazing to me, how "christians" "followers of Christ", don't really follow Christ in regard to the 7th day Sabbath.

The anti-christ

Daniel 7

25He shall speak words against the Most High,
and shall wear out the saints of the Most High,
and shall think to change the times and the law;

Law - What Law? 4th commandment- 7th day Sabbath
times - an appointed time - the 7th day Sabbath, created by God

eleos

Also check out

Therefore, the 7th day Sabbath is the Lords day. Jesus is Lord of the 7th day Sabbath. He don't claim Sunday, He don't claim the first day. He claims the 7th day which is also in the 10 commandments.

Matthew 12

8 For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.”

Luke 6

5 Then Jesus declared, “The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Go read history about Constantine and the venerable day of the sun. That is where Sunday worship came from.

On 7 March 321, Constantine I, Rome's first Christian Emperor (see Constantine I and Christianity), decreed that Sunday would be observed as the Roman day of rest: On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed.

God's Truth

There were no Jews when the Lord created His Sabbath ... it was the 7th day of the Lord's creation. He blessed it and sanctified it. The Sabbath was created for man (mankind). #4 of the 10 commandments and we are told to remember it and keep it holy.

Mark 2

27Then Jesus told them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Did he say the 7th day Sabbath was for Jews only? NO Did Jesus say we could not keep the 7th day Sabbath? no .... Did Jesus himself keep the 7th day Sabbath? Yes Did all the apostles keep the 7th day Sabbath? Yes

Lord over the Sabbath - Jesus Owns it. Jesus kept the 7th day Sabbath even in his death, He rested in the tomb. If the 7th day Sabbath is important to Jesus ... it is important to us. If He kept it, we should keep it.

There were (and are) many different "cerimonial sabbaths" kept by the Jews. The 7th day Sabbath is different than all other "cerimonial sabbaths". The "cerimonial sabbaths" (not the 7th day) are those that are "shadows of the past".

It is amazing to me, how "christians" "followers of Christ", don't really follow Christ in regard to the 7th day Sabbath.

The anti-christ

Daniel 7

25He shall speak words against the Most High,
and shall wear out the saints of the Most High,
and shall think to change the times and the law;

Law - What Law? 4th commandment- 7th day Sabbath
times - an appointed time - the 7th day Sabbath, created by God

You didn't know about Jesus then either, but it was about Jesus who was to come.

Jesus is the Sabbath Rest.

Special days are nothing now, and obeying Jesus all day every day is what matters.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

The Sabbath is for God's people to demonstrate who will obey the Father and who won't.

"So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God." (Hebrews 4:9 NASB)

eleos

The Sabbath is for God's people to demonstrate who will obey the Father and who won't.

"So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God." (Hebrews 4:9 NASB)

Hebrews 4

4For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works

Hebrews 4

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. 9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, 10 for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.

Verses 4 through 10 - Clearly in context, this is relating to THE 7th day Sabbath referring back to Genesis where God "his works as God did from his" .... When did God rest from His works? The 7th day - The day God rested from His work. In verse 4 it even references the 7th day.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What day is the Sabbath? And if it is Saturday , why do most people go to church on Sunday ? The Bible says keep the Sabbath holy ?

Shalom.

Today is Revi'i (Fourth), 11-22, until sundown. It is Yom (Day).

I encourage you to read about the Sabbath.

Shalom.

Jacob

Bee1

Shalom.

Today is Revi'i (Fourth), 11-22, until sundown. It is Yom (Day).

I encourage you to read about the Sabbath.

Shalom.

Jacob
I understand that the Sabbath is for Jews and Sunday for Gentiles. Correct.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Bee1

Not if you read (the Torah and) Isaiah.

Shalom.

Jacob
Well enlighten me...?

In your own words please, I get a better sense of what you are trying to tell me .Alright...?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Well enlighten me...?

In your own words please, I get a better sense of what you are trying to tell me .Alright...?

If you live in the land you are required to observe Torah. The question is about the foreigner, what the term means, in regard to the fact that the foreigner can observe the Sabbath.

Shalom.

Jacob