One easy question

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
What day is the Sabbath? And if it is Saturday , why do most people go to church on Sunday ? The Bible says keep the Sabbath holy ?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

I said
SABBATH
Deut 5:12-14 OLD TESTAMENT
12 'Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you.
13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
14 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall not do any work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates, that your manservant and your maidservant may rest as well as you.
Exod 31:13
13 "Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: 'Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.

NEW TESTAMENT
Mark 2:27-28
27 And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
28 "Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath."
Heb 8:13
13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
Rom 14:5-6
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
Heb 10:25
25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
1 Cor 14:12
12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.
Matt 16:16
16 Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
Matt 16:18
18 "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
Col 2:16-17
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
Luke 9:23
23 Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.
Luke 14:1-6
1 Now it happened, as He went into the house of one of the rulers of the Pharisees to eat bread on the Sabbath, that they watched Him closely.
2 And behold, there was a certain man before Him who had dropsy.
3 And Jesus, answering, spoke to the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"
4 But they kept silent. And He took him and healed him, and let him go.
5 Then He answered them, saying, "Which of you, having a donkey or an ox that has fallen into a pit, will not immediately pull him out on the Sabbath day?"
6 And they could not answer Him regarding these things.
John 2:12-17
12 After this He went down to Capernaum, He, His mother, His brothers, and His disciples; and they did not stay there many days.
13 Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
14 And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the moneychangers doing business.
15 When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers' money and overturned the tables.
16 And He said to those who sold doves, "Take these things away! Do not make My Father's house a house of merchandise!"
17 Then His disciples remembered that it was written, "Zeal for Your house has eaten Me up."
John 2:23
23 Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name when they saw the signs which He did.
John 3:2
2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him."
Luke 6:5
5 And He said to them, "The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath."
Rom 14:4-10
4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.
8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
Acts 17:24-25
24 "God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.
25 "Nor is He worshiped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things.
(NKJ)

xxThe Sabbath is one of the ten commandments that doesnt show up in the new testament as a command. So whether one keeps it or not is ok, as long as he is fully persuaded in his own mind. But its not worth argueing over. And anyone can apoint any day they want to as their Sabbath.
The new testament doesnt speak of which day of the week is the Sabbath.

Acts 2:46
46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,
(NKJ)

10 You observe days and months and seasons and years.
11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

John 4:23-24
23 "But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.
24 "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
(NKJ)

1 Cor 7:17-24
17 But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. And so I ordain in all the churches.
18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised.
19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.
20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called.
21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it.
22 For he who is called in the Lord while a slave is the Lord's freedman. Likewise he who is called while free is Christ's slave.
23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.
24 Brethren, let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called.
(NKJ)

eleos

What day is the Sabbath? And if it is Saturday , why do most people go to church on Sunday ? The Bible says keep the Sabbath holy ?

What day is the Sabbath?

The seventh day is the Sabbath. Jesus taught from scripture on the Sabbath. He rested in the tomb on the Sabbath. I'm pretty sure Jesus knew what day was the Sabbath, He is Lord of it.

Mark 2

27And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”

And if it is Saturday , why do most people go to church on Sunday?

Venerable day of the sun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday

On 7 March 321, Constantine I, Rome's first Christian Emperor (see Constantine I and Christianity), decreed that Sunday would be observed as the Roman day of rest: On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed.

The 7th day Sabbath was part of creation .... before there were "Jews".

The Bible says keep the Sabbath holy ?

What does holy mean?

Greek:

hagios: sacred, holy
Original Word: ἅγιος, ία, ον
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: hagios
Phonetic Spelling: (hag'-ee-os)
Short Definition: set apart, holy, sacred
Definition: set apart by (or for) God, holy, sacred.

Hebrew

qodesh: apartness, sacredness
Original Word: קֹ֫דֶשׁ
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: qodesh
Phonetic Spelling: (ko'-desh)
Short Definition: holy

Separate from other days. 7th day Sabbath IS the Lords day. He created it to be separate from all other days.

Told us not to forget about it.

Exodus 20:8

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Remember from when .... from creation when there were not any "jews".

eleos

xxThe Sabbath is one of the ten commandments that doesnt show up in the new testament as a command. So whether one keeps it or not is ok, as long as he is fully persuaded in his own mind. But its not worth argueing over. And anyone can apoint any day they want to as their Sabbath.
The new testament doesnt speak of which day of the week is the Sabbath.

Wrong.

Mark 2

27And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”

Luke 6

5 Then Jesus said to them, "The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Hebrews 4:4

For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS";

Are we to walk in the steps of Jesus or not?

Jesus kept the 7th day Sabbath ... and don't give the "jew" thing ... the 7th day Sabbath is part of creation, before any jews. More importantly Jesus was/is God.

John 1

All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. Including the 7th day Sabbath.

Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Remember from when? From creation.

chair

The commandments were given to all Israel, not just Jews.

Jacob gave his name Israel to Ephraim and Manasseh, not to Judah.

That is correct. I was using the term "Jews" in a general sense.

But "Israel" does not include all of mankind.

TrevorL

Greetings Bee1,
Jesus is the true Sabbath and we find rest in him. We need to worship God every day and cease from our own works and the works of sin. Hebrews 3 and 4, Matthew 11:28-30.

Kind regards
Trevor

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Wrong.

Mark 2

Luke 6

5 Then Jesus said to them, "The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Hebrews 4:4

For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS";

Are we to walk in the steps of Jesus or not?

Jesus kept the 7th day Sabbath ... and don't give the "jew" thing ... the 7th day Sabbath is part of creation, before any jews. More importantly Jesus was/is God.

John 1

All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. Including the 7th day Sabbath.

Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Remember from when? From creation.

I said
Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, and He says you can keep it or not keep it.

[Rom 14:4-6
4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems [one] day above another; another esteems every day [alike]. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes [it] to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe [it]. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

eleos

I said
Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, and He says you can keep it or not keep it.

[Rom 14:4-6
5 One person esteems [one] day above another; another esteems every day [alike]. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes [it] to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe [it]. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

I'm not judging anyone .... the 7th day Sabbath was created by God .. and am citing what the Bible says about it. That's not me judging.

It is a special day unto the Lord ... he blessed it and sanctified it and named it the Sabbath and reminds us to keep it.

It's what His word says and what Jesus did. He kept the 7th day Sabbath, even in His death.

The 7th day Sabbath is different than other "sabbaths" within Jewish culture ... go read about them.

2003cobra

The Sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.

Believers of Gentile origin are not under the Law of Moses (see Acts 15), so they are not obligated to keep the Sabbath.

Christians worship on Sunday to recognize the resurrection of Jesus Christ, which occurred on the first day of the week.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Believers of Gentile origin are not under the Law of Moses (see Acts 15), so they are not obligated to keep the Sabbath.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28)

The Sabbath is only for God's people. (Hebrews 4:9)

Bee1

The Sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.

Christians worship on Sunday to recognize the resurrection of Jesus Christ, which occurred on the first day of the week.
I will accept that answer .

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I will accept that answer .

Jesus was raised on the day after the Sabbath to be presented to God as the Mosaic law specified.

"He shall wave the sheaf before the Lord to be accepted on your behalf, on the day after the Sabbath the priest shall wave it." (Leviticus 23:11)

There was no NT to record his resurrection.

That came later.

God's Truth

Special days do not matter anymore. All those special days were about Jesus. We are to observe Jesus all day every day. He is our Sabbath Rest.

clefty

Did Adam observe God's Sabbath?

If the Sabbath was established for mankind why wouldn't it be included for Israel?

Indeed...why would Yah need to create a Memorial Day for Himself? Make it Holy when all was holy as there was no sin...and sanctify it to seperate it from the other days and made His Day...given to a people seperated as well...His People...His day to His people...a sign

clefty

The commandments were given to all Israel, not just Jews.

Jacob gave his name Israel to Ephraim and Manasseh, not to Judah.

And not to just Israel either...the only commandment to specify it given to non native and foreigners...oh and animals too...

clefty

The seventh day is the Sabbath. Jesus taught from scripture on the Sabbath.
rest is healing...He did that seven times to those that could easily have waited one more day in their long term illness...but He healed them on Sabbath EXACTLY to provoke the pharisess to steal it back from them their traditions and hypocrisy...

He rested in the tomb on the Sabbath.
exactly...the first full day of the new covenant age and after He signed the new covenant with His blood and sealed it with His death...no changes now by the testator...is why His followers continued to keep it...hurried to keep it...

In the tomb He not only rested but was refreshed...HEALED...I believe was raised on the Sabbath...as the next day the only thing occuring was an empty tomb was found...long empty

I'm pretty sure Jesus knew what day was the Sabbath, He is Lord of it.
I know right?!! To think He would destroy the very thing which renders Him authority...would be like Lord of London destroying the city or Lord of the Rings melting the rings down into coins...

Mark 2

and to think He said DONT THINK I have come to destroy...and yet

Venerable day of the sun

On 7 March 321, Constantine I, Rome's first Christian Emperor (see Constantine I and Christianity), decreed that Sunday would be observed as the Roman day of rest: On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed.

What does holy mean?

Greek:

Hebrew

Separate from other days. 7th day Sabbath IS the Lords day. He created it to be separate from all other days.

Good work there...HalleluYah

Isaiah is clear having all come and worship Him new moon to new moon Sabbath to Sabbath...

Last edited:

clefty

The seventh day is the Sabbath. Jesus taught from scripture on the Sabbath. He rested in the tomb on the Sabbath. I'm pretty sure Jesus knew what day was the Sabbath, He is Lord of it.

Mark 2

Venerable day of the sun

What does holy mean?

Greek:

Hebrew

Dont forget to add that the NT event known as resurrection was on FIRST FRUITS which is on the 1st day after the weekly seventh day sabbath...