Non-Subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanieboy

BillyBob said:
But Beanie, you ARE getting service. You just posted that post, for godsakes! :doh:

I'm getting the FREE service.
If I pay, then it is no longer FREE.

So, is it free or not?
If it is, I have violated nothing. I have stolen nothing. It was offered for free, and I accepted.

If it costs, then start charging everyone, and I will decide whether or not I want to pay.
If I don't, I can't post. If I do, I can.

I don't have cable.
If I pay for cable, I will have great reception, and 100 channels.
I don't pay for cable and watch TV for free, and have mediocre reception.
Should I send my local ABC and Fox stations some money? Since it is offered for free, I take it. If I had to pay for it, I would decline.

It is ethical for me to:
Watch free tv from what I get without cable.
Watch cable TV at my friend's house for free.
Watch cable TV at a bar for free.
Receive cable that my apt bldg offers as a free service through rent.

It is unethical for me to:
Steal cable by tapping into it illegally.
To hook up to a cable system that the previous renter forgot to shut off.

For the life of me, I can't understand why you can't understand the concept of capitalism,BB.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gerald said:
Would you mind reminding me again why I'm supposed to care about some stranger's profit margin?

Profit??

:darwinsm:

That's a good one!

Granite

Hall of Fame
It is possible, is it not, to make a donation to TOL and not be a dues-paying "subscriber," correct?

beanieboy

BillyBob said:
I would pay for a subscription on ANY website which I used frequently.

You are being a hypocrite by saying:"I will put up with more that if something is free, but to pay, I expect service." and not paying. You ARE most definitely receiving service here.

Is it Free?
If so, why would I want to pay for what I can have for free?

Do you have a problem with that?
If so, I have repeatedly asked why you don't simply eliminate the free option.

I use Google for free, many times a day.
They don't charge. I'm sure they would love $20, but I don't have to give them money.
Yahoo has the same thing - free email, and a charge with more capacity.
I have no need for the capacity, so I choose the free service.

If TOL is going to offer it for free, I will continue to take advantage of it.
It's not my problem that people aren't paying, if paying is simply an option.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
BillyBob said:
I don't get it.

There are quite a few regular posters at TOL who are not subscribers. They post here every day or nearly every day. Spend countless hours using the TOL facilities, yet they do not feel compelled to pay for the service. They are content letting others pay their way.

Sounds like a bunch of commies.......
I appreciate BillyBob's sentiment.

And BillyBob has helped TOL financially many times.

But truth be told I have no problem with folks participating yet not donating financially. Heck, I wish nobody had to donate, I wish I was wealthy enough to fund this entire operation.

If you don't have the money to help TOL please don't feel guilty, we are grateful for your participation!

And to those of you who do donate financially, you will never know how honored I am personally that you have helped me keep this place going. Hopefully we have made donating to TOL fun and interesting with subscriptions, smilies, etc.

beanieboy

Knight said:

But truth be told I have no problem with folks participating yet not donating financially. Heck, I wish nobody had to donate, I wish I was wealthy enough to fund this entire operation.

If you don't have the money to help TOL please don't feel guilty, we are grateful for your participation!

And to those of you who do donate financially, you will never know how honored I am personally that you have helped me keep this place going. Hopefully we have made donating to TOL fun and interesting with subscriptions, smilies, etc.

How do you keep the site up?
How is it funded financially?
Do you try to get adds, or donations from Enyart's listeners, churches, etc?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Poly said:
Profit??

That's a good one!

Hey c'mon now Poly...
I know things are tough all over.. ;)

I've heard that Knight's chauffer drops him off at the TOL Towers at ten a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the morning staff meeting since the cost cutting measures mean he can't teleconference in from the corporate yacht every morning.

It's rough, I tell ya. Rough! :nono:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
beanieboy said:
I'm getting the FREE service.
If I pay, then it is no longer FREE.

OK, so you admit that you are receiving a service. Then reconcile this statement of yours: "I will put up with more that if something is free, but to pay, I expect service."

So, is it free or not?
If it is, I have violated nothing. I have stolen nothing. It was offered for free, and I accepted.

But you use it quite frequently, seems that in order to be consistent with your above statement, you would subscribe.

If it costs, then start charging everyone, and I will decide whether or not I want to pay.
If I don't, I can't post. If I do, I can.

Do you donate to your church? I do. I don't tithe, but I donate money and time. Do I have to? No. Can I use still go to church if I don't pay? Yes. But if I everybody who uses the facility takes the stance trhat you have 'Using without paying', there would be NO facility to use.

I don't have cable.
If I pay for cable, I will have great reception, and 100 channels.
I don't pay for cable and watch TV for free, and have mediocre reception.
Should I send my local ABC and Fox stations some money? Since it is offered for free, I take it. If I had to pay for it, I would decline.

Your reception of TOL is as good as mine, I just have a few 'extras' as a subscriber, but it is essentially the same service that you are receiving for free.

It is ethical for me to:
Watch free tv from what I get without cable.
Watch cable TV at my friend's house for free.
Watch cable TV at a bar for free.
Receive cable that my apt bldg offers as a free service through rent.

Every one of those is different from the others.

Free TV is being paid for by advertisers.

Cable TV at your friends house is being paid for by your friend.

Cable TV at the local bar is paid for by the bar and in turn charged back to you in the food and drinks you purchase.

Cable TV from your Apt building is being paid for by the proprietor and essentially underwritten by you and other tenents.

It is unethical for me to:
Steal cable by tapping into it illegally.

Of course.

To hook up to a cable system that the previous renter forgot to shut off.

Ultimately, yes. But that won't last long.....

For the life of me, I can't understand why you can't understand the concept of capitalism,BB.

I clearly have a better understanding of it than you do.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:

I started this thread on my own without Knight's knowledge, I want that to be clearly understood.

This topic has been on my mind lately and I was interested in hearing everyones reasons for not subscribing. I rest my case.

Thanks for a great website, Knight. :up:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Knight said:

:BRAVO:

beanieboy

BillyBob said:
OK, so you admit that you are receiving a service. Then reconcile this statement of yours: "I will put up with more that if something is free, but to pay, I expect service."

I admit that I am receiving a FREE service - meaning, it costs me nothing.
Why would I pay for what is offered for free?

I will put up with the double standard that on this sight, christians are held to a lower standard of conduct than non-christians. I'm receiving a free service, so, I'm willing to put up with it.

There is another site where you are reprimanded if you use vulgar language, are simply name calling, etc. It doesn't matter what your religious beliefs.

Here, christians are allowed to use whatever language they would like, be vulgar, sometimes even explicitly sexual, and are forgiven. In short, held to a lower standard that the nonchristian.

Would I be willing to put up with that if I paid? No. I am not willing to give money to anyone that supports that. If anything, I am hoping to undo some of the hatred I see here, and putting up with it is the price I pay.

But if I pony up 30 bucks, I expect to receive something for it. If the service is going to have a Body Guard for the Christians, and none for the non - don't expect the nons to think they owe you anything.

I'm not going to pay to be Christian Target Practice.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
beanieboy said:

You are chasing your own tail at this point.

I will put up with the double standard that on this sight, christians are held to a lower standard of conduct than non-christians. I'm receiving a free service, so, I'm willing to put up with it.

You are a hypocrite.

But you are willing to be used as Christian target practice as long as it's free?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:

There is another site where you are reprimanded if you use vulgar language, are simply name calling, etc. It doesn't matter what your religious beliefs.

Here, christians are allowed to use whatever language they would like, be vulgar, sometimes even explicitly sexual, and are forgiven. In short, held to a lower standard that the nonchristian.

Would I be willing to put up with that if I paid? No. I am not willing to give money to anyone that supports that. If anything, I am hoping to undo some of the hatred I see here, and putting up with it is the price I pay.

But if I pony up 30 bucks, I expect to receive something for it. If the service is going to have a Body Guard for the Christians, and none for the non - don't expect the nons to think they owe you anything.

Ok ok, we get it, beanie. You don't want to pay anything for the use of this site. You're making a huge sacrifice to have to stick around here.

:blabla: :blabla:

Anytime you just can't handle making your huge sacrifice anymore by blessing TOL with your presense, feel free to move on. I don't how we'll manage without ya but hey, we'll get by the best we can.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
Poly, I like your sig! Very timely. :chuckle:

Hey, I've had this signature since before the start of this thread.

:noid:

(BillyBob you didn't do this like we planned. You were supposed to wait a few more days before starting this thread. I think they're on to us.)

;)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Poly said:
Hey, I've had this signature since before the start of this thread.
I just noticed it, though... :cool:

:noid:

(BillyBob you didn't do this like we planned. You were supposed to wait a few more days before starting this thread. I think they're on to us.)

;)
Plotting against us, eh? :chuckle:

beanieboy

BillyBob said:
You are chasing your own tail at this point.
You are a hypocrite.
But you are willing to be used as Christian target practice as long as it's free?

If it can change someone's heart, yes.

beanieboy

Poly said:
Ok ok, we get it, beanie. You don't want to pay anything for the use of this site. You're making a huge sacrifice to have to stick around here.

:blabla: :blabla:

Anytime you just can't handle making your huge sacrifice anymore by blessing TOL with your presense, feel free to move on. I don't how we'll manage without ya but hey, we'll get by the best we can.

Wow, what an enticing reason to stay - the snide crabby comments of moderators like you who claim to be Ambassadors for Jesus.

Thanks for being the visual aid for why I would never pay for this service.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Being a 'Christian' doesn't mean that a person cannot point out the idiocy, hypocrisy and arrogance of another.

Status
Not open for further replies.