Nineveh's SPotD 9-14-05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Poly said:
Breathe said:
I'm curious - what are all the people who post on here and home school their children going to do when their sheltered children have to go out in the real world with all it's variety & temptations? When those children who have no concept of the multitude of choices and people they'll be faced with have to make decisions about things they've never been exposed to in real life? No matter how much "book learning" they may have, home schoolers are woefully deprived of "life learning".

I have 5 kids and we've been homeschooling for 13 years now. We've thought about this problem. So a few years back we decided to allow our kids to go out in public at least twice a year. We all make a big chain by a deathgrip of holding hands and proceed to walk around downtown. We had a terrible experience the first time we tried our little outing. (I get a little emotional talking about it so bear with me)

We had only been out for about 10 minutes when a couple of my kids started convulsing. I couldn't really blame them though. A woman on the street went up to them and smiled and greeted them with a "hello". They simply didn't know how to respond. My middle son was screaming at the top of his lungs, "Mommy make her stop, make her stop!" And my oldest kept clicking his heals together, chanting, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home!!"

But last year was a big improvement. They were out almost 30 minutes before they started begging me to please take them back home so they can shut the curtains and lock the doors where it's safe.

Our goal this year is to see if we can make it out for a whole hour. :up:

Post 130

:darwinsm: Classic! :rotfl:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was going to do it. But, I got busy with something else. :chuckle:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
ebenz47037 said:
I was going to do it. But, I got busy with something else. :chuckle:

Your reply was just as awsome :)

ebenz47037 said:
Breathe said:
I'm curious - what are all the people who post on here and home school their children going to do when their sheltered children have to go out in the real world with all it's variety & temptations? When those children who have no concept of the multitude of choices and people they'll be faced with have to make decisions about things they've never been exposed to in real life? No matter how much "book learning" they may have, home schoolers are woefully deprived of "life learning".

Wow! I thought of that long ago. Like Poly, I've been homeschooling for several years. I decided when I began that we weren't going to shelter our daughter. So, once a year, I take my daughter out to see what kind of things she will have to face in "real life." We go to places like the library, church, the county fair, etc. Now, mind you, we go out at different times every year. I would hate for my daughter to have to deal with the dangers of society on an everyday basis.

Poly said:
Hey, I think you're on to something! I think we'll try to take them out in the fall this year instead of the spring like we have the 2 years that we've let them out. Of course then I'd have to introduce them to coats. They're unfamiliar with them since they've never been out in the cold. But I think they'll like them. :thumb:

ebenz47037 said:
Yeah. We had to do that too, when we moved to Indiana from California. The fall is so warm in CA. The first time we went on our yearly outing in the fall here, we nearly froze to death.

You guys crack me up :D

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thanks, Nineveh! :eek:

Sometimes, when you ask a stupid question, you simply deserve a stupid answer. :freak:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
ROTFL!!!! :rotfl:

That might be one of the funniest posts ever posted on TOL.

Great job Poly - excellent pick Nineveh! :first:

Army of One

Great pick, Nineveh. Poly, thank you for making me laugh out loud. I think that was the funniest post I've seen so far. :rotfl:

C

cattyfan

read this post out loud with great emotion to CleverDan...he loved your post, Poly!

:darwinsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.