Nineveh's SPOTD 6-24-05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Poly said:
Litebeam said:
"That they may know from the rising of the sun and from the west, that I am the Lord, and there is none else, I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace and create evil: I THE LORD DO ALL THESE THINGS Woe to him that striveth with his Maker! Shall the clay [that's mankind] say to him that fashioneth it, what makest thou" (Isa. 45:6 -9).

God makes the light and then comes darkness when the light is not there. Darkness wasn't created but is a word given to describe the absence of light. It's the same with peace. It says "I make peace and create calamity." When there is an absence of peace, calamity sets in.

If I give my kids a toy in kindness and they choose to fight over it, causing a ruckus, did I cause that ruckus? Did I want my kids to fight over it? No, but because I offered something that was to bring joy and they decided to fight over it instead, the ruckus was then created due to the absence of that joy.
God’s word says He is responsible for evil.

Shame on you for saying that!!

cite

That's an awsome way to see it :)

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you.

Notice I didn't waste 2 posts like some people just to thank you. :D

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
Ooh... Miss Efficiency.

Hey, I'm only thinking of the good of Knight here.

Wait, this isn't the suck up to Knight thread. What am I thinking?

the Sibbie

Great post with an excellent example, Poly!

Although, I was also wondering if you could also say that certain disasters that God brings about are sometimes referred to as "evil" as a figure of speech ( for example the Flood brought about by God because of the wickedness of mankind)? Or am I just kind of reading into things too much?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
the Sibbie said:
Although, I was also wondering if you could also say that certain disasters that God brings about are sometimes referred to as "evil" as a figure of speech ( for example the Flood brought about by God because of the wickedness of mankind)? Or am I just kind of reading into things too much?

Hmmm.. I would think of that as judgment and I wouldn't consider God's judgments as evil or that evil was created as a result of God flooding the Earth but I may not quite be getting at what you're asking.

BTW, TOL is never the same without the Sibbie! Glad to see you around!

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think what the Sibbie meant is, is it "evil" only from the perspective of those being judged.

But in that verse, "evil" is the opposite of "peace." That's why it's sometimes translated as "disaster" but never as "wickedness" (which would be the opposite of "good" or "righteousness").

I don't remember for sure, but I think the Hebrew word is distinct from the word for wickedness. I'll look into that on Studylight later. (Or maybe the Sibbie will beat me to it.)

the Sibbie

Yeah, what Turbo said. Also, perhaps "evil" was used loosly to mean something catastrophic, something that isn't really evil it just has an undesirable effects to us. A very simple/lame example would be, "This scorching weather is evil!"

(Note: I can't seem to find the quote button. I don't remember the location with this new setup.)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's at the very bottom right of the post, below even the signature. (Nowadays, the "reply" and "quote" buttons do the same thing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.