Lev Lafayette

Hi all,

I came in via a certain search engine and thought I'd create an account and have a look around.

The forum says "Hello, hello, hello tell us about yourself!", so I'll give it a go within the context of the site.

I am a Unitarian-Universalist from Melbourne, where I regularly take the service and give addresses at the local Church. I don't have any particular metaphysical orientation being satisfied with the notion that it is all beyond human ken.

I have described myself as being an empirical atheist, a normative agnostic and an aesthetic pagan, which attempts to place some labels on these pragmatic boundaries.

I am likely to be beginning a Masters of Divinity in the near future. It will gel well with my existing BA (Hons) in Politics, Philosophy and Sociology, and my MBA in Technology Management and hopefully a PhD in Social Theory by the end of the year.

I have done a bit of travelling and work in my local region, including a year as a volunteer in East Timor. At the moment I work as a sysadmin at a high performance computing centre for research scientists.

Well, that's about it. Hope you are all well...

John Mortimer

Hey! :wave:

Welcome! :)

Hi all,

I am a Unitarian-Universalist from Melbourne, where I regularly take the service and give addresses at the local Church. I don't have any particular metaphysical orientation being satisfied with the notion that it is all beyond human ken.
...but are you more than just human? :think:
I have described myself as being an empirical atheist, a normative agnostic and an aesthetic pagan, which attempts to place some labels on these pragmatic boundaries.
Cool..... you're definitely more than labels though! :chuckle:
I am likely to be beginning a Masters of Divinity in the near future. It will gel well with my existing BA (Hons) in Politics, Philosophy and Sociology, and my MBA in Technology Management and hopefully a PhD in Social Theory by the end of the year.

I have done a bit of travelling and work in my local region, including a year as a volunteer in East Timor. At the moment I work as a sysadmin at a high performance computing centre for research scientists.
Wow! Are you interested in quantum computers at all?
I certainly am... look forward to your contributions as you seem interesting! :thumb:

Lev Lafayette

Thank you!

...but are you more than just human? :think:

Actually, I'm giving a talk this Sunday at the HumanityPlus conference entitled "More Human Than Human" where I'll put the argument that artificial intelligences may have superior moral and ethical reasoning than humans... But myself? No, human, all too human.

Wow! Are you interested in quantum computers at all?

Only a very passing interest. It's a little beyond what I have researched. I'm mainly interested in scientific application installs on clusters and the parallelisation of computational problems.

... look forward to your contributions as you seem interesting! :thumb:

Thank you for the very kind welcome.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL, Lev.

By the way, was it a tough choice, trying to decide between the Unitarian Universalist Church and Tony Robins' Unleash the Power Within conference? I guess UU is free, so maybe that's the clincher.

Anyway, have fun.

Randy

Tyrathca

I am a Unitarian-Universalist from Melbourne
Welcome fellow Melbournian! :wave2:
I have done a bit of travelling and work in my local region, including a year as a volunteer in East Timor.
Cool! What type of help did you provide?

Tony Robins' Unleash the Power Within conference? I guess UU is free, so maybe that's the clincher.
Not to mention I'm pretty sure Lev is Aussie given he calls East Timor "local", so going to see Tony in the States is a bit excessive! Not to mention I doubt many Aussies have heard of him

Lev Lafayette

Welcome to TOL, Lev.

Thank you...

By the way, was it a tough choice, trying to decide between the Unitarian Universalist Church and Tony Robins' Unleash the Power Within conference? I guess UU is free, so maybe that's the clincher.

Wow, I'd never even heard of Tim Robin's prior that reference.. Umm, yeah, you could fund a family in the developing world for a year with those ticket prices..

Welcome fellow Melbournian! :wave2: Cool! What type of help did you provide?

Hello fellow Melbournian... In Timor-Leste I was a network admin and IT policy advisor for their Ministry of Foreign Affairs in their first year of independence.

Hey, I see that you're listed as an atheist - do you go along to along to any of the Atheist Society meetings?

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not to mention I'm pretty sure Lev is Aussie given he calls East Timor "local"...

Nice grab of a subtle clue. But then there's the not-so-subtle statement he made that he's "from Melbourne" that I'm proud to say I picked up on. :chuckle:

Tyrathca

Hello fellow Melbournian... In Timor-Leste I was a network admin and IT policy advisor for their Ministry of Foreign Affairs in their first year of independence.
Wow, that's quite impressive! Good on you :up:
Hey, I see that you're listed as an atheist - do you go along to along to any of the Atheist Society meetings?
I have been to some events, but not to many. Last one I went to was last year, time and distance restricts me a bit (My current suburb is on the outskirts of Melbourne) and there is a notable age gap between me and most of the others who attended when I did.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hi all,

I came in via a certain search engine and thought I'd create an account and have a look around.

The forum says "Hello, hello, hello tell us about yourself!", so I'll give it a go within the context of the site.

:think: An atheist Unitarian-Universalist? Does that mean you're a "one size grave fits all" sort of fellow then?

Welcome to TOL. :e4e: