National Rifle Association Lawsuit?

eider

In the UK we are hearing from BBC News that the NRA is being Sued by the New York Attorney General. The claim is that four of its leaders have been spending millions of dollars upon themselves.

What interested me more than the above was that we heard that there are only 5 million NRA members, in a country of hundreds of millions of folks.

I always believed that about half of America belonged to the NRA...... apparently not so at all.

Here are the first two reports shown on Google for 'NRA Lawsuit'. You might need to copy and paste the headlines in to google to read the whole.

New York attorney general sues to dissolve NRA - BBC News
www.bbc.co.uk › news › world-us-canada-53684033
6 hours ago - "For these years of misconduct we are seeking an order to dissolve the NRA in its entirety," she said. The NRA described the lawsuit as a ...

NRA lawsuit: who are the four leaders accused of corruption ...
www.theguardian.com › us-news › aug › nra-accused-c...
9 hours ago - NRA lawsuit: who are the four leaders accused of corruption? Wayne LaPierre, Wilson Phillips, Joshua Powell and John Frazer have held ...

eider

We have now seen President Trump on television, suggesting that now is the time for the NRA to relocate to Texas.
He says that he has recommended this move before.

We hear that only four years ago the NRA was strongly in the black by many many millions, but that now it is severely in the red.
Worrying?

eider

More claims surrounding the lawsuit are being made.
Charities (UK) which pay their employees and executives huge salaries and perks have been so common that they now have to publish their revenue, their employee's incomes and perks and the sums delivered to real beneficiaries.

In the UK several Freemason's charities were closed down because they offered benefits only within their own ranks, which doesn't fit the definition of charity here. But I'm amazed at how much the Chief Executives of charities such as 'Save the Donkeys' get.

Back to the NRA....... members are already angry, apparently this is not a new situation for them and protests have been staged outside NRA sub offices. I've selected a web site at random to show slightly more detail about all this. You will need to copy/paste the link in to google to access the correct page, imo.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opini...york-lawsuit-letitia-james-column/3312972001/

The National Rifle Association faces its worst nightmare: accountability

Published 9:20 AM EDT Aug 7, 2020

You don’t have to be a lawyer to see how the NRA got into this mess. Even casual observers have watched it morph from a safety-focused, non-profit into a front group for gun manufacturers and a personal piggy bank for its leadership.

Since 2018, NRA executive pay has skyrocketed, money has flowed to supposedly ‘unpaid’ board members, and CEO Wayne LaPierre has reportedly used member dues to pay for millions of dollars’ worth of Italian suits and private jet trips. Meanwhile, in 2018 less than 10% of NRA funds were spent on the NRA’s supposed “core functions” of gun safety, education, and training — leaving little wonder why AG James decided the NRA ran afoul of the law.

NRA misusing funds
As it turns out, you can only buy so many Italian suits from Zegna in Beverly Hills with organizational money before the organization stops being a nonprofit and starts being a slush fund.

But AG James is far from the NRA’s only concern — the NRA is losing money and power so quickly that by the end of this case, there might not be anything left to dissolve. Legally, the organization is mired in litigation with former partners and sued by the attorney general of D.C. Financially, the NRA is laying off employees by the hundreds, and Wayne LaPierre was recently caught on tape saying the organization needed to be taken “down to the studs” to “survive.” And politically, the NRA had to strip its once-coveted candidate-grading-system from the internet because politicians were ashamed to be affiliated with them.

Protest outside the NRA headquarters in 2017 in Fairfax
(EDIT: You can see any pics if you access the website)

eider

Last year President Trump seems to have supported the expansion of background checks for gun licenses.
And there was upheaval within the higher ranks of the NRA over reckless personal spending.

So the NRA has been in turmoil for many months before the NY Attorney's General's actions, it seems.
It's best to copy-paste the links thru' google if you would like to read the whole sad story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/us/politics/nra-guns-wayne-lapierre.html

several paragraphs in to the report:-
Then this month, (that was in August 2019) two mass shootings galvanized the gun control movement and prompted President Trump to float the possibility of expanded background checks, which is anathema to the gun lobby.

and:-

https://giffords.org/press-release/2020/08/new-york-attorney-general-nra/

Giffords Law Center Condemns NRA After Major NY AG Revelations, Catalogues the Organization’s Misdeeds
AUGUST 6, 2020
TO Interested Parties
FROM Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
DATE August 6, 2020
RE Giffords Law Center Condemns NRA After Major NY AG Revelations, Catalogues the Organization’s Misdeeds
Giffords Law Center, a champion for gun safety laws and policies, applauds the deliberative, thoughtful efforts of New York Attorney General Letitia James in her investigation of the National Rifle Association. Having regularly taken on the NRA in an effort to save lives from gun violence, the decisive action taken by her office to file lawsuits against top leadership for fraud and move to dissolve the NRA entirely come as no surprise.
Robyn Thomas, Giffords Law Center Executive Director:

“We’ve long known of the NRA’s corruption, which has lined the pockets of executives while advancing deadly policies that have cost countless lives. Attorney General Letitia James’s announcement today sheds light on that level of fraud, and should mark the end of the NRA’s influence on American politics. The NRA is a shell of the juggernaut that once held dangerous sway over Washington. Wayne LaPierre and his allies sit at the center of a tangled web of corruption and self-dealing. They are nothing more than crooks in fancy suits.”

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
What interested me more than the above was that we heard that there are only 5 million NRA members, in a country of hundreds of millions of folks.

Implying that only 5 million Americans believe in the right to keep and bear arms?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Implying that only 5 million Americans believe in the right to keep and bear arms?

Bear in mind, Jefferson, that eider gets all of his news about America from the leftist mainstream media. And so it's likely that his perception of Americans is that ALL of us who don't live in the urban centers have lots and lots and lots of guns and belong to the NRA and wear MAGA hats and are racist.

eider

And that's a false equivalence..... right there. From the reports of the turmoils within the NRA I suspect that a % opf its members does want some changes. Donald Trump has shown that he does. So..... 'No' is the answer to your question.

I'm just surprised that in a country where it is estimated that three hundred million guns are in private ownership that only a tiny % (less than 2%) of the population is a member of the National Rifle Association.

Are you a member of the NRA?

eider

Nope. And if I were to join any pro-gun organization it would be Gun Owners of America.

If............ !!
So you don't actually support any gun association, right?

So now we have found 2 million GOA members and 5 million NRA members, in varying amounts of disagreement with each other both in and out of their organisations?

USA 300+ millions people. 7 million NRA GOA members.
Any more?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I'm just surprised that in a country where it is estimated that three hundred million guns are in private ownership that only a tiny % (less than 2%) of the population is a member of the National Rifle Association.

The numbers indicate that fewer and fewer households have guns, but those that do, have a lot more of them than they used to own.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
If............ !!
So you don't actually support any gun association, right?

I "support" them, I'm just not a member. I don't understand what the big deal is with these numbers with you. If there was a rattle snake in my neighborhood, I'd join with the local men, hunt it down and kill it. But when it was all over, I'm not going to join the Rattle Snake Killers Association of America. Why should I?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
In the UK we are hearing from BBC News that the NRA is being Sued by the New York Attorney General. The claim is that four of its leaders have been spending millions of dollars upon themselves.

I always believed that about half of America belonged to the NRA...... apparently not so at all.

I'm surrounded by conservatives and just about everyone I can think of in my extended family owns guns - handguns, long guns. I know of only one of them who belongs to the NRA, though.