Museum Curator Dr. Kirk Johnson: I Might Not Exist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuySmiley

Jukia said:
Hmm, I just did some checking and guess what? aharvey seems to be correct, fish scales are innervated. See there sports fans, sometimes it does some good to check the facts.
Hmmm. . . I just did some checking too (and not at my bank!). Here:

VI Evolution of Fish

The first vertebrates evolved from sedentary vase-shaped marine animals called sea squirts (see Tunicate) about 500 million years ago. The larvae of modern sea squirts are strikingly similar to young fish and have a primitive backbone, called a notochord. The first fish were jawless and probably fed by filtering tiny particles from the water. The fossil record is not clear because only the teeth remain, but these early fish probably lacked scales. Later fish evolved armor plates and scales for protection from large predatory arthropods.
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761563856_2/Fish.html

It seems that the earliest fish did not have scales, but they did have teeth. Weird. See there science fans and museum curators, sometimes it does some good to check the facts. (errrrr, I mean get your theory straight!!)

aharvey

GuySmiley said:
Hmmm. . . I just did some checking too (and not at my bank!). Here:

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761563856_2/Fish.html

It seems that the earliest fish did not have scales, but they did have teeth. Weird. See there science fans and museum curators, sometimes it does some good to check the facts.
Okay, I guess an on-line encyclopaedia is better than nothing, but you did leave out the "probably" in your summary above.

Incidentally, not that I have any stock in this whole "origin of teeth" controversy. And I really don't have any idea what the evil museum exhibit actually says, so I can't really evaluate it. As a former curator, though, I'm sensing some mighty intense spin coming from y'all...

GuySmiley

aharvey said:
Okay, I guess an on-line encyclopaedia is better than nothing, but you did leave out the "probably" in your summary above.

Incidentally, not that I have any stock in this whole "origin of teeth" controversy. And I really don't have any idea what the evil museum exhibit actually says, so I can't really evaluate it. As a former curator, though, I'm sensing some mighty intense spin coming from y'all...
I really wish someone took pictures, I live an hour away from Denver so when I get back down there I will take pictures. Maybe someone thats just a hop skip and jump away could do it?

ThePhy

From Shimei:
The science fiction museum stating that teeth evolved from scales and they stated this as a fact, not a theory.
I suspect there were oodles of things presented as facts in that museum, which in truth, were theories. If you feel that every less-than absolutely established fact be provided with qualifiers to that effect, then every science textbook in the world is going to increase in size by 30%. Principles of aerodynamics, electronics, nuclear power, astronomy, biology, geology, archaeology, mechanics – just think how much the world will be improved if every reference to anything from such fields comes with an obligatory “we think …”, or “there is some evidence for …” or “this is not for sure, but …”.

But one underlying concept in the world of science is that our conclusions are always open to challenge. People who really understand science know this, and the people who object are showing their lack of understanding of the philosophy under which science operates. We don’t need qualifiers everywhere, in museums or books.
Do you agree that it is a little misleading to say such a thing and then have no evidence to back up the claim? I mean not even a simple demonstration (perhaps some cartoon illustrations) as to how this occurred?
Are you saying that every exhibit at a museum of science must include the trail of evidence that supports the display? Nonsense.
Should they add a little asterisk at the end of the statement that says * check out Denis Lamoureux, he has a PHD and he is a Christian Dentist.
I offered his name because he is well qualified to address the question, and does not inherently carry the anti-religious bias you might feel comes with my explanations. Can you suggest another scientist that is friendly to conservative Christianity and well-qualified to comment on the evidence for the scales–to-teeth question?
The burden is on your side, not Young Earth Creationists.
Your side initiated the ridicule of the teeth-scales idea. So far the sum of the evidence you have given to disprove it is that the museum stated it as a fact instead of a theory, that you have doubts about scales growing nerves (which aharvey has already shown is not the issue you thought), that the line of evidence was not presented with the display. And when presented with sources to provide answers to the questions you raise, your response is to pooh-pooh them. The burden for honesty is on whose side?
This whole debate has nothing to do with Enyart, so I don’t see the point of bringing him up again.
Oh, I thought Bob Enyart was a prime motivator for some of the membership of his church going to the museum. Not true?
BTW, another dentist went on this same tour and couldn’t stop laughing at such an absurd statement. Scales developed a nervous system. Ok, how does that happen again? We need actual evidence, not some far out theories from Lamoureux or anyone else.
Wonderful. Then you have access to an “expert” who can talk technically with Dr. Lamoureux and confirm that he is presenting the straight facts. BTW, how much has your dentist studied the evolutionary history of teeth? Or were his studies more directed towards the biology of modern human teeth, and how to treat dental problems?

Not to deflect the thrust of this thread, but I feel like this is hypocrisy personified. To contrast – I honestly feel that every Bible, in the interest of honesty, should come with an introductory section. In this section would be the statement that not a single original Biblical autograph manuscript is known to exist. For each original manuscript, if care of that sole copy was passed on to a poorly qualified or even malicious scribe for copying, then what the current Bible has in that area may poorly represent the original. And the unavoidable introduction in scribal errors has resulted in another level of uncertainty as to what some passage really said. The very list of the books found in most Bibles was determined not by divine decree, but by the vagaries of opinions of councils, by which writings escaped total destruction, and even by the influence of Roman soldiers. There has been a debate which yet rages in scholarly Christendom over the precise original meanings of some words and phrases, and which of the competing fragmentary manuscripts to give most weight to.

Then you disbelieve that scales could have become teeth, yet would ask me to accept fully that snakes can talk, that the success of battles is determined not by soldierly skill or tactics, but by whether one man can hold his arm up in the air. I shudder at the hypocrisy in this thread.

Johnny

Fish scale development: Hair today, teeth and scales yesterday?Curr Biol. 2001 Aug 7;11(15):1202-6.
Abstract: "A group of genes in the tumour necrosis factor signalling pathway are mutated in humans and mice with ectodermal dysplasias--a failure of hair and tooth development. A mutation has now been identified in one of these genes, ectodysplasin-A receptor, in the teleost fish Medaka, that results in a failure of scale formation."

Immunodetection of amelogenin-like proteins in the ganoine of experimentally regenerating scales of Calamoichthys calabaricus, a primitive actinopterygian fish.Anat Rec. 1997 Sep;249(1):86-95.
Abstract: "BACKGROUND: The account of the present study is to test our previous hypothesis that ganoine, a highly mineralized layer found at the scale surface of primitive actinopterygian fish, could be homologous with the enamel covering the crown of vertebrate teeth. METHODS: Immunocytochemical techniques have been carried out on regenerating scales of a primitive polypterid, Calamoichthys calabaricus, with three antibodies to mammalian amelogenins. RESULTS: The present study provides the first evidence that ganoine contains molecules which cross-react with mammalian amelogenin proteins. CONCLUSIONS: This result is consistent with our previous findings that ganoine and enamel can be considered as homologous tissues. Moreover, the presence in ganoine of a primitive actinopterygian of amelogenin-like proteins, which share epitopes with amelogenins of mammalian enamel, indicates that the gene(s) coding for these proteins appeared earlier than previously suggested and supports the hypothesis that amelogenins show a highly conserved structure through vertebrate evolution."

Genetic basis for the evolution of vertebrate mineralized tissue.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Aug 3;101(31):11356-61.
Abstract: "Mineralized tissue is vital to many characteristic adaptive phenotypes in vertebrates. Three primary tissues, enamel (enameloid), dentin, and bone, are found in the body armor of ancient agnathans and mammalian teeth, suggesting that these two organs are homologous. Mammalian enamel forms on enamel-specific proteins such as amelogenin, whereas dentin and bone form on collagen and many acidic proteins, such as SPP1, coordinately regulate their mineralization. We previously reported that genes for three major enamel matrix proteins, five proteins necessary for dentin and bone formation, and milk caseins and salivary proteins arose from a single ancestor by tandem gene duplications and form the secretory calcium-binding phosphoprotein (SCPP) family. Gene structure and protein characteristics show that SCPP genes arose from the 5' region of ancestral sparcl1 (SPARC-like 1). Phylogenetic analysis on SPARC and SPARCL1 suggests that the SCPP genes arose after the divergence of cartilaginous fish and bony fish, implying that early vertebrate mineralization did not use SCPPs and that SPARC may be critical for initial mineralization. Consistent with this inference, we identified SPP1 in a teleost genome but failed to find any genes orthologous to mammalian enamel proteins. Based on these observations, we suggest a scenario for the evolution of vertebrate tissue mineralization, in which body armor initially formed on dermal collagen, which acted as a reinforcement of dermis. We also suggest that mammalian enamel is distinct from fish enameloid. Their similar nature as a hard structural overlay on exoskeleton and teeth is because of convergent evolution."

Formation of dermal skeletal and dental tissues in fish: a comparative and evolutionary approach. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc. 2003 May;78(2):219-49.
Abstract: Osteichthyan and chondrichthyan fish present an astonishing diversity of skeletal and dental tissues that are often difficult to classify into the standard textbook categories of bone, cartilage, dentine and enamel. To address the question of how the tissues of the dermal skeleton evolved from the ancestral situation and gave rise to the diversity actually encountered, we review previous data on the development of a number of dermal skeletal elements (odontodes, teeth and dermal denticles, cranial dermal bones, postcranial dermal plates and scutes, elasmoid and ganoid scales, and fin rays). A comparison of developmental stages at the tissue level usually allows us to identify skeletogenic cell populations as either odontogenic or osteogenic on the basis of the place of formation of their dermal papillae and of the way of deposition of their tissues. Our studies support the evolutionary affinities (1) between odontodes, teeth and denticles, (2) between the ganoid scales of polypterids and the elasmoid scales of teleosts, and (3) to a lesser degree between the different bony elements. There is now ample evidence to ascertain that the tissues of the elasmoid scale are derived from dental and not from bony tissues. This review demonstrates the advantage that can be taken from developmental studies, at the tissue level, to infer evolutionary relationships within the dermal skeleton in chondrichthyans and osteichthyans.

Here's some references to get you started on your way to evaluating the evidence.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
ThePhy said:
From Vaquero45: It sounds like you think I will be converted by credentials rather than evidence. Not so.

No, I don't think you would be converted by credentials. That was my whole point. I wouldn't be either. Especially by a "faithful conservative Christian" evolutionist. :hammer:
(and I realize you weren't talking to me when I first posted to you, I was just in a punchy mood)

If you, or Enyart, or Behe, or your friend come up with the goods, I would love to see them. I am willing to consider evidence on its own terms. If it clearly conflicts with my existing ideas, I will necessarily reevaluate my stance. Can you say the same for any Old Earth evidence you might receive?

No, I cannot. I presuppose the God of the Bible, and His message (and account of creation) given in it. I find the works of YEC science interesting, and believe much of it to be accurate, but I don't hang my hat on any of it. If the "evidence" contradicts God, it is misleading and wrong, or at least misinterpreted.

:) Bet you didn't expect me to be so honest!

ThePhy

From Vaquero45:
I presuppose the God of the Bible, and His message (and account of creation) given in it. I find the works of YEC science interesting, and believe much of it to be accurate, but I don't hang my hat on any of it. If the "evidence" contradicts God, it is misleading and wrong, or at least misinterpreted.
I can respond to that on 2 levels. First is to be presumptuous enough to pretend that I am someone like Johnny, who has a firm Christian belief yet finds evolution credible. From that stance I would suggest that it is not the evidence that is contradicting God, but only your personal (incorrect) understanding of what the Bible is really saying. But more applicable to my situation, I simply cannot join you in subjugating my honest understanding of what I see in the physical world just to protect a theological stance. To me truth from the real world is every bit as important and convincing as truth from scripture. When I see a clear conflict between the two sources, I am forced to ask if I honor truth or dogma. If the theology can’t stand the heat, then maybe it is wrong.
Bet you didn't expect me to be so honest!
Yeah, now my whole game plan is upset. Can’t you do like bob b and run away from such questions? You are a rare (but refreshingly honest) breed.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
From Vaquero45:
Quote:
I presuppose the God of the Bible, and His message (and account of creation) given in it. I find the works of YEC science interesting, and believe much of it to be accurate, but I don't hang my hat on any of it. If the "evidence" contradicts God, it is misleading and wrong, or at least misinterpreted.

ThePhy said:
I can respond to that on 2 levels. First is to be presumptuous enough to pretend that I am someone like Johnny, who has a firm Christian belief yet finds evolution credible. From that stance I would suggest that it is not the evidence that is contradicting God, but only your personal (incorrect) understanding of what the Bible is really saying.

Johnny (and Denis) has fallen into the trap of neutrality. He has thrown off his Christian faith in a misguided attempt to play fair with the world of atheistic science. He imagines that his intellectual neutrality is compatable with Christianity, but it brings him to function outside of the teachings of the Bible.

Johnny should heed Paul's instruction here:
(directed to members of the Body of Christ, aka, Christians)
Eph 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye no longer walk as the Gentiles also walk, in the vanity of their mind,
Eph 4:18 being darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardening of their heart;

But more applicable to my situation, I simply cannot join you in subjugating my honest understanding of what I see in the physical world just to protect a theological stance. To me truth from the real world is every bit as important and convincing as truth from scripture. When I see a clear conflict between the two sources, I am forced to ask if I honor truth or dogma. If the theology can’t stand the heat, then maybe it is wrong.

That's how atheists think.

V45 said- Bet you didn't expect me to be so honest!

Phy answered- Yeah, now my whole game plan is upset. Can’t you do like bob b and run away from such questions? You are a rare (but refreshingly honest) breed.

LOL, sorry about that.

Bob b? I would think he would agree with what I said above. He seems to operate that way.

Johnny

Johnny (and Denis) has fallen into the trap of neutrality. He has thrown off his Christian faith in a misguided attempt to play fair with the world of atheistic science. He imagines that his intellectual neutrality is compatable with Christianity, but it brings him to function outside of the teachings of the Bible.
I'm not clear on what you mean by "intellectual neutrality", but I certainly have not thrown off my Christian faith in any way. I understand that you believe me to be functioning outside the teachings of the Bible because of your approach to the book of genesis. Yet this no more indicates that I have thrown off my faith than those whose baptismal doctrine you disagree with. I, as every other Christian, am working with the best I have. My approach to genesis is my best judgement, as you would probably argue that your approach is.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Letter to the Colorado Springs Gazette Editor,

Let me fill in a few details from the creationist BC Tours event at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science described in Paul Asay’s Jurassic Ark story. One misleading exhibit headline, referring to the 1953 Miller/Urey synthesis of amino acids read: Life Created in the Lab? It’s been fifty years! Don’t they know if they made life yet or not? Their question mark is insufficient to counterbalance this false report, since amino acids are essential to life, but they are not life, they are acids. Then, an exclamation mark follows a caption of a toothy cartoon man smiling at a fish. At a child’s eye-level, the museum declares, “Teeth evolved from scales!” If a question mark justifies the false report about life created in the lab, this exclamation mark tells kids with certainty the wild assumption that human teeth evolved from fish scales. Finally, a major exhibit title, How Evolution Works, is answered with the worn out Peppered Moth story, with a change in the percent of light vs. dark colored biston betularia moths in England, which only shows a demographic variation within a species. An increase in the percentage of whites living in Harlem is not evolution; and the fact that Denver’s multi-million dollar “Prehistoric Journey” did not find an actual example of how evolution works tells us creationists that they have no good examples!

Pastor Bob Enyart
Denver Bible Church

aharvey

Although I rather doubt that Bob Enyart honestly believes his own assertion that the Denver Museum makes the nonsensical claim that human teeth evolved from fish scales, I was more interested in this bit from the second article linked to by Jefferson:

Carter and Jack said children should hear about both creationism and evolution.

"What we need to do is teach good science and present both models and let students decide what model makes most sense," Jack said. "To do anything else is censorship."

So there is a creationist model that represents good science after all!?! I’ve been asking for a scientifically valid creationist model from the moment I arrived at TOL, but my requests have been until now in vain. Is anyone here familiar with the scientific model to which Jack is referring? If not, any idea how I can get in touch with him?

Thanks!

sentientsynth

aharvey said:
But one underlying concept in the world of science is that our conclusions are always open to challenge. People who really understand science know this,
I agree. It just that the people who read textbooks, i.e. students, and people who visit museums, i.e. the laiety, are exactly those who DON'T understand and who need to be informed about the "philosophy under which science operates."

We don’t need qualifiers everywhere, in museums or books.
Exactly. We need cold hard facts and not speculations presented in unqualified language, especially when concerning the unreflective masses.

SS

redfern

Jefferson said:
Having read carefully both of these links, I didn’t see even a whisper of the thing that was the primary focus of the early part of this thread – the “Do you exist” confrontation with the Museum director. The TOL fundamentalists that commented on that tour – including Rev. Enyart – made that one their big issues. The newspaper reporters didn’t think it was even worth mentioning.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
ThePhy said:
I suspect there were oodles of things presented as facts in that museum, which in truth, were theories.

So then they should state that they are theories, not facts, no?
BTW, do you believe in truth?

ThePhy said:
If you feel that every less-than absolutely established fact be provided with qualifiers to that effect, then every science textbook in the world is going to increase in size by 30%.

Well isn't that the point of a text book? Where else would you put all of the qualifiers? Just keep them all in secret journals?

BTW, do most scientists have trouble admitting when they are not sure about something? How difficult is that to state? So let's start with one possible unproven idea and then build an entire scenario around it? That is science? No, that is foolish and misleading.

ThePhy said:
But one underlying concept in the world of science is that our conclusions are always open to challenge.

I would hope so.

Who in the creationist camp DOESN’T understand that simple and agree with that simple notion?

BTW, I believe that creationists are usually the first ones to look at any evidence that would falsify their positions and theories.

ThePhy said:
We don’t need qualifiers everywhere, in museums or books. Are you saying that every exhibit at a museum of science must include the trail of evidence that supports the display?

No, keep the secrets to yourself. We really don’t want to know.

ThePhy said:
Then you disbelieve that scales could have become teeth, yet would ask me to accept fully that snakes can talk, that the success of battles is determined not by soldierly skill or tactics, but by whether one man can hold his arm up in the air. I shudder at the hypocrisy in this thread.

Miracles are another topic. Here, we are talking about science and science fiction.

Jukia

At the new creation museum touted by Pastor E, will their displays say:
"The entire universe was created in 6 literal days, but this is a theory"
"Noah put some of every animal in the ark, at least we think this happened this way"
"Here are dinosaurs and man together, even though there is no credible evidence that they co-existed, this is a creationist theory"
ETC.
Whadaya think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.